IGNORED

Article: Duet Display for Music Aficionados

Chris - I like your ideas about using Duet to display album art.  I hadn't thought of that.

I've been using Duet for about a year and a half.  When working on the road it's a great way to add a second 'monitor' to my laptop using my iPad which is already part of my kit.

Jriver's GUI in the theater view is still the best in business.  I hope someday Roon will give there now playing screen a MASSIVE overhaul.

For awhile I used my 65" TV for theater view and a 27" TV off to the side for mini lyrics while using Jriver.  My friends and family loved that for singing along.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Duet Display is cool.   I found it not too long ago.  If one does not already have an iPad, ASUS makes a portable display that is a bit bigger (https://goo.gl/2VnzzU) for less money.  This facilitates spreadsheets and other work items a bit better.  Next time I am on the road I will be testing the triple monitor setup:-)   Hmmm....I have a Galaxy Tablet also...Quad monitor?

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

The iPad has to be charged at some point.  Also this is a monitor app.  I do not know of any wireless monitors.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Really?  Not only are there wireless monitors.  There are adapters to make a normal monitor/tv display a signal received wirelessly.  If you wanted to get really serious you could hook up a projector and use the wall/speaker/floor/??? as an illuminated screen that doesn't place any electronics in close proximity to your audio gear.   

On the other hand, I'm sure this "tech" would have been great as needless accessory purchase to take to the register with you however many years ago the first ipad went on sale.  :P

One way to display ROON on a large screen is to do AirPlay mirroring with an Apple TV.  Then whatever is displayed on iPad screen will be on tv monitor. One can adjust the screen size controls on your monitor so ROON gets the whole screen to display on monitor. 

Too bad one cannot combine Roon to play through jRiver then we could use the theater view which I really do enjoy watching. 

Im sure jRiver wouod never give their consent to work together with ROON. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

Well I'm running iOS RD client with great satisfaction that is remotely  connected to my Windows 10 HTPC when there is no native client app to be used as a remote control which is the case for Qobuz for instance. I must say that the user experience is excellent. And RD client is free of charge. I really don't quite see the usefulness of Duet which price tag is quite high for that kind of software I think.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:46 AM, jcbenten said:

Duet Display is cool.   I found it not too long ago.  If one does not already have an iPad, ASUS makes a portable display that is a bit bigger (https://goo.gl/2VnzzU) for less money.  This facilitates spreadsheets and other work items a bit better.  Next time I am on the road I will be testing the triple monitor setup:-)   Hmmm....I have a Galaxy Tablet also...Quad monitor?

What app will extend the desktop to an Android tablet?

On 7/29/2017 at 0:12 AM, number8 said:

Do I understand correctly that the iOS device has to be physically connected to a PC with a cable? If yes, I do not really see the added value of such a product.

Yes, connected via Lightning cable. If you'd rather use a large monitor rather than a sleek iOS device, then this isn't for you. 

On 7/29/2017 at 6:07 PM, rando said:

Really?  Not only are there wireless monitors.  There are adapters to make a normal monitor/tv display a signal received wirelessly.  If you wanted to get really serious you could hook up a projector and use the wall/speaker/floor/??? as an illuminated screen that doesn't place any electronics in close proximity to your audio gear.   

On the other hand, I'm sure this "tech" would have been great as needless accessory purchase to take to the register with you however many years ago the first ipad went on sale.  :P

You've gone from small less than 10" iOS device to display album art, to running a noisy projector and displaying a huge image on the wall. If that's what you're in to, that's cool. It's just not what this article is about or what the product is for. 

2 hours ago, number8 said:

Well I'm running iOS RD client with great satisfaction that is remotely  connected to my Windows 10 HTPC when there is no native client app to be used as a remote control which is the case for Qobuz for instance. I must say that the user experience is excellent. And RD client is free of charge. I really don't quite see the usefulness of Duet which price tag is quite high for that kind of software I think.

This isn't about remote displays or remote control. It's about extending one's desktop to another display without the need for a standard monitor. 

Not everyone wants this or even understand it. Perhaps I could have written the article more clearly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well, I mentioned the full gamut of more up to date solutions and ended with an overkill example.  Who am I to say the person with a 100K in stereo equipment didn't just replace their bedroom projector.  Much less has an original ipad era square business monitor collecting dust they could plug a wireless adapter into.  Setting up a second window in your preferred player software to just display album art is hardly rocket science.  

Choosing to do so on a glorified mobile device adds a needless layer of complication and, as you found out, customer support to make it work with this weeks version of mobile OS.  I may have come off a bit heavy handed, but I took the occasion to chase flaky high maintenance solutions off the table.  

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What app will extend the desktop to an Android tablet?

iDisplay and Spacedesk come up in a search.  Have not tried either yet.

L to R:

Galaxy Tablet S3 via Spacedesk  WiFi network connection (iDisplay is $18 so I tried Spacedesk first)

Dell Precision 7510

ASUS ASUS MB169C+ via USB-C

iPad Pro via Duet Display (USB)

Not sure I need them all but can be done for the traveling traderB|

FourMonitors.jpg

I wonder if this could be a way to display the Aurender conductor app onto my 65" on wall plasma (which is inbetween my two front speakers so to speak)? 

any thoughts how to do this ? 

Perhaps if I dusted off my 2nd generation Apple TV and airplay via the iPad ?  

Ive never even thought to try it?