IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

I have had 2 purpose built computer servers and 4 DAC over the past 6 years.  I can say with confidence, the server matters as much as the DAC.  With a $10K or less budget, talk to Ben with Mojo Audio.  He will build a very musical system that fits your budget.  His server and DAC, paired with a head phone amp won best in show any price by one of the writers for TAS at Axpona.   They  run stable and perform a lot better than a Microrendu.  Having said that, the Sonore products are a great band for the buck.  Very good sound if you have DSD files.  Decent sound with PCM.  Digital is also very susceptible to noise and cables.  What do I mean.  Save money for items such as interconnects and USB/SPDIF cables as well as a good power cord for both the server and DAC.  They matter.  More than you think.  Also consider something like  an Akiko Corelli to clean up high frequency noise on the power lines.    Bits are not just bits.  You have to consider the whole system.  Schiit  audio gets great write ups and I thought their room was one of the best sounding at Axpona.  The whole schebang was $3700 or so.  Find a used Antipodes server for $3700 and a new Schiit DAC for $2K.  You have a lot left over for the other accessories I mentioned.  They matter so build them into your budget.

I am presently auditioning an Innuos Zennith MkII and I made the decision to buy one but I am still wondering about the SE version and  how much better it is. It is significant more expensive but I would be willing to make that investment if it would be a clear improvement and not just a slight tweak. 

On 12/5/2017 at 2:47 AM, mikicasellas said:

In the other hand, has anyone know how the "Regular" Zenith MKII compares to SE Zenith MKII… is it night and day difference in SQ?

Has anyone here tried any of these?

Regards

Mike

User bigalmc has had both in house

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

17 hours ago, firedog said:

User bigalmc has had both in house

Not quite. I have the MKII (which I'm very impressed with) currently whilst I wait for the SE which is due late January. 

I need to speak to the dealer to see if they have a more firm date yet. But I'll hopefully be able to offer a comparison then. 

@firedog did you come to a decision on your situation? It was the MKII vs the Sonore Signature Rendu, right?

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Not quite. I have the MKII (which I'm very impressed with) currently whilst I wait for the SE which is due late January. 

I need to speak to the dealer to see if they have a more firm date yet. But I'll hopefully be able to offer a comparison then. 

@firedog did you come to a decision on your situation? It was the MKII vs the Sonore Signature Rendu, right?

Cheers, 

Alan 

I threw the Bricasti M5 into the mix. A BelCanto dealer also told me they are about to come out with a new high-end streamer. So I'm waiting a bit before I decide. With the taxes/customs I have to pay where I live, the Sonore may end up being too expensive for me. I can get the MKII and the Bricasti for significantly less. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I threw the Bricasti M5 into the mix. A BelCanto dealer also told me they are about to come out with a new high-end streamer. So I'm waiting a bit before I decide. With the taxes/customs I have to pay where I live, the Sonore may end up being too expensive for me. I can get the MKII and the Bricasti for significantly less. 

Sounds like you have an enjoyable choice on your hands. Will be interested to hear how you get on. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers