IGNORED

10 grand - what set up would you recommend?

@beerandmusic here's something for you.  Just a wee bit outside your target price range at $38K.  I have the Aeris DAC that is built into this unit.  Just to give you an idea of what it takes to put all this stuff in one properly engineered box.

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/us/daemon-integrated.html

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

11 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Sure eg. Mytek Manhatten has 2 seperated and isolated linear power supplies, the Brooklyn at a lower cost has one SMPS you get what you pay for.

Is the reason for 2 isolated ps for power requirements or trying to isolate for noise? 

I think a better design could be created with one ps that would offer same SQ as mytek at that price point....jmo

13 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Is the reason for 2 isolated ps for power requirements or trying to isolate for noise?

Both, you need to power both circuits digital and analogue, If done with one supply noise would get to the analogue output via the digital circuit and power supply.The power supply will be compromised trying to supply 2 circuits at once. You can do it with a twin rail supply which is larger, but imo 2 isolated supplies deliver the best sound quality at a cost but take up more space.

Not yet @iefbo but the discussion here has led me closer to where I think I will end up. Antipodes DX3 or Zenith SE are the two top contenders at the moment. I will probably start the evaluation by arranging a home loan for the Zenith. That will give me a feeling for what these machines can deliver compared to CD and Vinyl. Better, inferior or just different?

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

OK. The Antipodes DX gen 3 only has USB. But the DX2 has s/pdif, USB, AES

Sonus Faber Amati Futura, Oppo 105 (transport), Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC, Brinkmann Bardo, 10.0 tone arm, Lyra Etna, Isotek Sigmas Evo 3, Nordost Valhalla cables, Stillpoints Ultra and Mini.

Have you read the review in Hifi Advice? The reviewer owns an Aurender N10 but prefers the the Antipodes DX3. http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/antipodes-dx-music-server/

Yes, I've read it before.

The reviewer seems to go back and forth between the N10 and the Antipodes, but yes ultimately chooses the Antipodes. It will be very interesting to read your findings if you can test it on your system at home.

I need to get to a local dealer with some of my music and compare the DCS NB and N10.

The Aurender is out of the question for me as it is not compatible with Roon.

Yep, I understand!

Roon seems to be really cool. It would allow me to integrate some older streamers I have around the house and have multi room with my main system.

I'd be totally happy with that, but SQ would still be the most important thing in my main system.

How about one of these:

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/n05/indexe.html

I've not heard it, but  I have heard good things about it, including that SQ compares favourably with some of the more expensive Esoteric disc players ( I have their current base model SACD player)

I guess fairly easy to try out via a bricks and mortar dealer  and if it worked for you, you wouldn't need your DAC either.

Might be a bit bigger physically. Never heard it but spec wise it's top notch.

Sotm SMS-1000SQ it's roon ready. 

Add: digital output option, 4TB, bluray drive, and sCLK-EX14254822/24 clock for USB and mainboard (you can have a masterclock option i think for external clock). Matching sPS-1000 for power supply. 

Link: https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-1000sq-windows-edition/

Basically your 6 box Sotm in 2 box plus more. 

http://www.sonore.us/signature-rendu-se.html

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/products/sonictransporter-i7-for-roon-1-3-dsp?variant=35324041615

Both one box though the sonore needs a pc or nas somewhere. 

Sonictransporter is on my list. I've heard some of the antipodes and innuos including the special edition. It's a seriously good thing though I'm not sure if it has the computing power of the sonictransporter if you think you'd like to up sample dsd or do room correction convolution in the future.

No doubt the dcs would be great too. 

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

3 hours ago, Norton said:

How about one of these:

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/n05/indexe.html

I've not heard it, but  I have heard good things about it, including that SQ compares favourably with some of the more expensive Esoteric disc players ( I have their current base model SACD player)

I guess fairly easy to try out via a bricks and mortar dealer  and if it worked for you, you wouldn't need your DAC either.

Esoteric sure make some fine sounding products and this seems to be yet another one. But as I already have a built in DAC in the Diablo that plays on par with an MSB Analog DAC w. Power Base (13 000 USD set up) I would like to find a product that does not include a DAC.

3 hours ago, m.i.c.k.e.y said:

Might be a bit bigger physically. Never heard it but spec wise it's top notch.

Sotm SMS-1000SQ it's roon ready. 

Add: digital output option, 4TB, bluray drive, and sCLK-EX14254822/24 clock for USB and mainboard (you can have a masterclock option i think for external clock). Matching sPS-1000 for power supply. 

Link: https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-1000sq-windows-edition/

Basically your 6 box Sotm in 2 box plus more. 

Thanks, I had a look at this server earlier. But then came the Ultra 200. I wonder how they compare from a SQ point of view acting as NAA? The 1000SQ being top of the line but older. 

Old model yes but they do update it to their latest offerings. If you see the current specs it has the same components as sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBexp plus much more (faster processor thru an mitx board, up to 4Tb HDD, Bluray drive,  lots of input/output options, with the sCLK-EX14254822/24 clock for usb, lan and motherboard)...

The drawback I think is size.

Most PC based offerings offer only PC + Linear Power Supply options. Seldom they offer clocks on motherboard, USB and LAN like SoTM. 

There is a contender actually sort of a refined Paul Pang: Pink Faun Streamer 2.1:  http://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/products/streaming-audio/pink-faun-streamer-2-16.html

13 hours ago, bigblue said:

Esoteric sure make some fine sounding products and this seems to be yet another one. But as I already have a built in DAC in the Diablo that plays on par with an MSB Analog DAC w. Power Base (13 000 USD set up) I would like to find a product that does not include a DAC.

if you already have a dac, i am not sure you can find anything more accurate than what the SOTM will do?

I mean all you are trying to do is to transfer bits from the ethernet interface to the dac?

I would think this could be done perfectly 100% of the time with just about any network interface providing a compatible clock with your dac?

This stuff still is very difficult for me to understand why we need any rocket science to transfer bits with 100% accuracy....and CHEAPLY??!  There has to be a lot of snake-oil in this craziness....

I can understand special design circuitry in the D-A conversion, and why that would matter, but i can't figure out why you need any special design to transfer digital bits....

I would love to see some written logic why one ethernet bridge can really be any better than another one, disregarding any logic needed to support RAAT or DLNA....just the transfer of the bits?

.....or maybe there is needed "engineering" to deal with the USB interface?  And if that is the case, then that just adds to my thought about why the USB interface should be eliminated all together....

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

That was exactly my thought too. Pink Faun needs to find some reality.

You might be surprised from other offerings. Have you tried opening an Antipodes Music Server?  It's mitx board w/ Sotm usb card? Well you got also a Sandisk/Samsung ssd, LG odd and not so fancy LPS and cables. 

Well I had my suggestion. Good luck to the OP on his adventure. 

10 hours ago, m.i.c.k.e.y said:

You might be surprised from other offerings. Have you tried opening an Antipodes Music Server?  It's mitx board w/ Sotm usb card? Well you got also a Sandisk/Samsung ssd, LG odd and not so fancy LPS and cables. 

Well I had my suggestion. Good luck to the OP on his adventure. 

I have never opened an Antipodes Server. What does it mean sonically that it is SoTM parts inside? Good or bad? Could it be that Antipodes unique selling point is not the actual parts - but what they do with them and how that affects the end result, or?