IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

41 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I'm always curious when others are talking about 'lowering noise levels'. How do you define 'noise levels'? I really can't hear noise in my system at any DSD or PCM settings. Or are you perhaps referring to how noise might affect SQ?

Great question.  I think when people talk about noise being masked they have things exactly turned around.  If you’ve been in an environment where people are having loud conversations nearby, they impact your ability to understand your own conversation long before the level where you can clearly make out what people in those other conversations are saying.  I think it’s the same with noise - before you can hear the noise as a separate thing from the music, it impacts your ability to clearly hear lower level musical detail.  So the “masking” I’m concerned about is of musical subtleties by noise levels that may well not be audible as a separate thing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

What post? and I can follow up from there.

Heck if I can recall details now.  Guess if I can’t point to specifics I shouldn’t have brought it up - my apologies.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

As I said, I can't hear a separate, identifiable signal in my setup that I would call noise. I've not heard noise in such an obvious form for a very long time in my systems.

A masking noise that itself is not audible as a separate signal is obviously much harder to detect in a listening evaluation, other than possibly in a comparison to something that reduces that noise.

Yes, same here, except when I had the “noise sniffer” in the system.  And in the analog system, I had a ground hum, but that, thankfully, was two turntables ago.  (I had a turntable for 30 years.  I bought a new one, and soon afterward an upgraded model came out, which I liked but wasn’t going to spend the money on.  Then I won the upgraded model as a door prize at an audio dealer’s shindig!  It’s even the same color as the one it replaced.)

13 minutes ago, plissken said:

Jud asked why there is a push against subjectivity here.

Actually the words in the topic are “audiophiles” and “contempt.”  I think tone matters, and not just in audio reproduction. :)

And by the way, as you know I’ve asked as strongly for respect to be shown to “objectivists.”

2 hours ago, wushuliu said:

Like there's a DBT kit you can buy off Amazon.

If there were, would folks who like the “objective” side of things buy it? :)

I certainly see marketing patter directed toward objectivists, though not so much as toward subjectivists.

23 minutes ago, mansr said:

Just as cheap to tell people their ears are crap.

No, no, it’s your system.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

That's why I avoid mentioning specifics of my gear. Whatever it is, someone will have a personal grudge with the brand.

Aw c’mon, be a sport, let us mock your equipment!

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Science in action doesn't always look like "best practices".

Relax, no one here is doing real science in the field of audio.  (At least no one I know of who I’ve noticed participating in the thread yet).  One or two are scientists in other fields, one or two are engineers working in the audio field.  None I know of that I’ve seen participating has performed audio testing for a peer reviewed paper published in an academic journal.

Lots of talk of science, but really what we all are going for is to understand, and in a couple of cases design and build, things a little better.

A J, I’m curious: Do you have any control over the amplification used for your speakers at shows?  If so, how do you choose?

5 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Yes, I insist that a remote is provided, with at least volume control.

A check for 1/2 the room cost is usually suffice.

Btw, I'm disappointed it took this long to redirect to me/my speakers. Let's keep focus there, lest we start talking about USB widgetry and phase noise hearing etc

It was a sincere and serious question, and not intended as a “redirection” of anything at all.  I was interested in what characteristics you look for in amplification to present your speakers to best advantage.  Why you should be coy about amplifiers I don’t know, but if you don’t care to provide any information in answer, I don’t suppose there’s really anything to do about that.

38 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

And my answer was sincere jest. :)

Are you asking what amps I prefer personally or say, would recommend to customers if they ask?

My personal preference is anything from Bruno Putzeys. I'm a bit green conscious, so Class D fills the bill there.

Hypex NCore based amps are my number one choice. However, if you've visited my site, you'll see a design that is very specifically designed for low power high output impedance amps, like typical SETs. So I design for the tastes of others as well.

Thanks.  Yes, I’m quite interested in Putzeys’ designs myself, and have liked the NCore based amps I’ve heard.

8 hours ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Well, to be fair it was $600 new, but I see now going for $400, so I'd say "inexpensive:, rather than "cheap".

Mine cost $375 new, so plainly you overspent. ;)

I’ve heard some wonderfully enjoyable stuff at shows from systems with analog front ends, and one of my favorite demos for friends is playing “Pinball Wizard” from an LP I bought in 1969.  But I am happier with the sound from digital.

14 minutes ago, esldude said:

Actually in terms of fidelity it is black and white. CD is superior. Just like my 1967 12 inch vacuum tube analog TV is far inferior to a modern HDTV.

Yes, though there are enough badly mastered CDs and reasonably mastered LPs, even of the same material, that there will be plenty of instances where the LP might provide a better listening experience.

22 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

So we’ve got a couple of articles saying there are problems with bias in sighted tests - certainly no problem agreeing with that - and another saying it’s likely people prefer the louder instrument; no problem there either.

7 hours ago, plissken said:

You are missing the point about bias controlled evaluation. Sorry you don't get to pick and choose here.

I’m not sure he’s the one missing the point about bias controlled testing.  Since when is testing with  some samples louder than others bias controlled?

9 minutes ago, patagent said:

I tend to be sympathetic to "objectivists."  But speaking as someone who studied physical sciences - any study that involves testing human response or behavior seemed like pseudo-science or soft science at best.  Physicists look down on chemists who look down on biologist who all look down on psychologists.  

JMO, a listening test on a group of individual should really be the last confirming piece of evidence after the proper measurements have been taken and interpreted.  Even then I'd take it with a grain of salt.

As I've said before, I always prefer the particular to the general.  Specifically with respect to human audibility, appropriately designed listening tests are the second best way to determine this I'm aware of.  (fMRI is the best I'm aware of, as it avoids the "Iowa gambling task" problem, which is the fact that human sensory apparatus and some parts of the brain can react to inputs before we become consciously aware of them.  This is a known problem that experimentalists attempt to take account of if possible.)

Just now, AJ Soundfield said:

So again, your claim is that blind auditions are invalid, thus the resulting large shift is gender is from flawed non-level matched testing, women having played louder than men.

You've now wasted two posts trying to mischaracterize my quite simple statement, which is that the validity of blind tests depends on how they are conducted.  Any problems with sighted tests make blind tests no more valid; they must rise or fall on their own.

Thus whether blind auditions are valid depends on the circumstances of each blind audition and how it relates to what's auditioned for.  This has nothing to do with whether sighted auditions are valid.

An example of a blind audition that might be problematic would be an audition of solo material for people vying for a job that would not involve being a soloist, but rather the ability to play in close coordination with others.

1 minute ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Classic audiophile false equivalence fallacy.

No one is arguing for invalid blind tests, but a lot of folks are arguing for invalid sighted tests

That's interesting, since an inadequately controlled blind test of violins was one of your references for the proposition that blind tests for audio are scientifically valid.

You also referenced two examples of sighted bias being removed.  Did you also make an independent investigation of the validity of the blind auditions for the jobs auditioned for that I somehow missed?