IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It's not going to wagg or bend unless you get all bionic man on it. You might get even more emails now:)

Having had REGENs and LPS-1 units come back where people had literally torn the USB or DC jacks off the circuit boards, I don't take user gentleness for granted. :/

As for the e-mails:  I'll just redirect my entire e-mail account to you.  xD

1 hour ago, mikey8811 said:

My apologies.

I have a 9V 1.5A iPower.

I trawled through the threads again and it was the Uptone LPS 1 which may or may not work with the iPower although iFi claims all their iPower's are the same and they subsequently re-rated the 1.5A at 2A.

So I am guessing I can use this 9V 1.5A iPower with the ultraRendu but NOT if I purchase an LPS 1 at the same time.

It is correct that you can not use a 9V/1.5A unit as the "energizing"/charging supply for an UpTone UltraCap LPS-1.  At 9 volts, the energizing supply needs to be capable of a full 2 amps.  I happen to have one of the early iPower 9V units--when they were labeled 1.5A and on the test bench confirmed that it can not produce 2 amps (whereas the 2A labeled units can).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, rlow said:

I know technical details are not being disclosed at this point, but for the microRendu, it was described (by John S. I believe) that there was effectively an "improved regen" incorporated...

- does the ultraRendu effectively include an "Iso Regen" incorporated?

No.

The original microRendu has the same USB2.0 hub chip as the original USB REGEN, but utilized ultra-ultra-low noise LT3042 regulators (not available at the time of introduction of the USB REGEN).  That was the "improved Regen" incorporation of the microRendu.

The ISO REGEN is a combination of an expensive high-speed USB galvanic isolator chip (Silanna ICE08USB) at input, 5(!) LT3042 regulators and enhanced power network elements, and a USB 3.1 hub chip chosen for particularly good signal integrity.

The galvanic isolator chip would have no place in the already galvanically isolated micro/ultraRendu, as such would have to be placed at the output (and like all isolators, the thing adds jitter that must be rechecked out)--there would be no point.  

Hope that helps.

• vortecjr featured and unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, Confused said:

Thanks, that's good to know, and if anyone could test this I for one would appreciate it!  As for this being voltage dependant, I would be interested specifically in 7V per the LPS-1, which is likely to be one of the more common combinations, so of interest to a few others as well I suspect.

The ultraRendu loves being powered by the UpTone UltraCap LPS-1!  They are made to go together.  John already told me that the increased current draw of the ultraRendu over the microRendu is likely in the tens of milliamps.

So I am confident that an ultraRendu--even when being asked to provide full 5VBUS to a downstream DAC/headphone amp (e.g. an iFi iDSD that draws 460mA--nearly the max. 500mA allowed by USB spec.)--will be happily powered by the 1.1A LPS-1.  :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
42 minutes ago, soares said:

The ultrarendu will transfigure the sound of your 2Qute.  I could not believe how good was the 2Qute sound after the upgrade. Chose carefully a better power supply for the uR. I bought an LPS-1 and an Sbooster. In my system the Sbooster sounded better. 

Per user reports, the results seem to be opposite with the new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2.  9_9

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, firedog said:

It doesn't have the right connector for the ultra (although you could probably patch something together), and I'd guess the ultra isn't designed to be powering something like the DF from it's low noise USB out.  That's something you'd need to verify one way or the other. 

Hi Danny.

Not sure why you would say that since:

a) The Dragonfly has a male USB ‘A’ plug sticking out—so it will plug right into the USB ‘A’ output of the ultraRendu;

b) The ultraRendu has a 1-amp regulator dedicated to supplying 5VBUS to DACs/headphone amps that need it (and that’s much more than the 0.5A the USB2.0 spec limits devices to).  So no problem there.

I can’t speak to the Linux compatibility of the Dragonfly, though I bet it works with standard drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pl_svn said:

Klipsch Cornwall here.

My wife got me sucked into watching a romantic time-travel/historical-adventure TV show called Outlander, based on a way-too-long set of books.  It is set in Scotland and England and I'd swear there is a character in it named Klipsch Cornwall.  If not there ought to be.  It's a great name! x-D

9 hours ago, jamesg11 said:

My suspicion is that the ifi micro idsd dac is problematic - numerous times the urendu shutdown soon after turning on the idsd dac. The well known current draw issue I suppose.

I have an iFi micro iDSD DAC (on my desk, used for testing) and have measured it at times (during battery charge) drawing 650mA from the 5VBUS--in violation of the USB2.0 specification rules (limit is supposed to be 500mA).

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2019 at 5:43 PM, jamesg11 said:

Surmised that idsd dac was drawing too much power, shutting down the rendu &, as per suggestion in #1124, I tried js-2 to power rendu instead of lps-1. It worked - no issue since, so left it that way.

I own an iFi micro iDSD DAC (used on my desk and for testing) and have personally measured its 5VBUS draw to be as high as 685mA (well above allowed USB2.0 spec) when charging.

So I am not surprised that booting an ultraRendu (which is when the uR draws the most) attached to an iDSD (depending upon its battery’s state of charge) could exceed the 1.1A rating of our UltraCap units.

Every UltraCap unit ever built (both LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 generations) was personally certified on my bench to be able to output at least 1.1A (at all output voltages). Most make it to 1.14A, some get as high as 1.19A, but we software limit them to switch off at 1.2A (those are continuous ratings; they readily handle instantaneous peaks well above that).

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, JUN tyann said:

is ultraRendu able to LAN direct connect to PC without using switching hub.

Both the PC and the Rendu need to have IP addresses assigned to them from a router. There are ways of "bridging" your PC--such that it has two Ethernet connections (one to network, one straight to Rendu), but this takes a bit of work.  I think It is not something that Sonore endorses (not always stable), plus a really good Ethernet switch will sound better than this anyway and avoid the troubles.

7 hours ago, VladST said:

Hi! I have a new kind of problem with Sonore Ultrarendu: it have solid orange LED and isn’t detect in Roon anymore. But SonicOrbiter shows urendu’s IP address which is non-applicable through internet browser. Power supply is Uptone LPS-1.2 on 7V (has been worked for the last 3 months).

Try powering your ultraRendu directly with the UpTone-branded 36W/7.5V AC>DC charger.  If that solves the problem then there may be an issue with your UltraCap LPS-1.2 unit and you should contact us directly for replacement.

--Alex @ UpTone.