IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't mean to push work off to you or anyone else, but if you want you can search for a plugin that's already built or similar functionality. I'm not opposed to purchasing a plugin type of solution rather than building it myself. Here is a link to available plugins etc.. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/

Chris, I'm not a UI developer, so take all this for what it's worth. The Invision site doesn't really give a lot of detail, but here are some thoughts from what I've seen so far:

1. There is mention of a "Question and Answer Forum" feature in the Forums component of the core package. Could this be exploited? I'm referring to this:
    593eea3051eb1_ScreenShot2017-06-12at2_18_18PM.thumb.png.47044de0348c6d6dc53d176cd31dc181.png
  2. The wiki capability seems to be implemented in the Pages component. Beyond that, I don't know how easy it is to integrate wikis - um, pages - into Topics, a la Flyertalk, for example. What would be really cool is, where appropriate, pin a wiki to the top of a topic, which could be curated by the community, but with a designated moderator - either the OP, or a surrogate.
  3. There are several plugins for "pinning" that seem interesting as building blocks:
  4. Finally, doing this requires some core moderation and permissions work:

• designating OP or specific users to edit and curate

• having infinite edit intervals on designated content - say the original post - so it can become a de facto FAQ or equivalent

Just some initial thoughts.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi @austinpop, thanks bringing this up again. It's a great idea that would help everyone immensely. 

I'm going over the options you suggested right now and thinking about how to implement something either exactly or in the spirit of your suggestion. 

I don't mean to push work off to you or anyone else, but if you want you can search for a plugin that's already built or similar functionality.

There are a bunch of pinned threads in Uptone Audio's Sponsered sub-forum, so what is he doing right ?

1 minute ago, Daudio said:

There are a bunch of pinned threads in Uptone Audio's Sponsered sub-forum, so what is he doing right ?

I don't believe the entire thread is what @austinpop is looking for, rather pinning some of the comments or a solution to find the best comments within a thread. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris,

It also occurred to me that from an authorization and permissions perspective, it would help to allow each topic (and possibly extended to forums) to have a designated moderator. It could start out by default to be the OP, but could be overridden by "staff" to anyone else.

One of the key authorizations should be to allow the first post to not have the edit lifetime. This way, the OP or the designated moderator could append/prepend an index/FAQ/list to the original post.

While a pinned Q&A or wiki would be cooler and more elegant, the immediate ability to edit the first post could be a quick and dirty way to get this going quickly.

40 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Why easier?

Because Pinned threads already work in this CA 4. The only problem is who has permission to write to them, or not, and as you have said, keeping the Original Post continuously editable*.

* This was used to great effect over on Head-Fi with Jason Stoddard's fascinating history of the Schitt Audio company and product design/build. A loooong read, but well worth it !

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/#post-10194517

Notice the links to the various chapters, edited in as the story grew, and new chapters added.

I think that is what you were thinking of ??

11 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I think that is what you were thinking of ??

Trimmed your quote, as I know that bothers you! :D

Yes, and no. Pinned threads are not what I was thinking of.

Remember - the problem we are trying to solve is for monster threads. We can not know a priori which threads will become such. When such a thread occurs, I don't want to create a different (pinned) thread to contain the curated bits from the monster thread. Rather, I want a way to have an index/wiki/Q&A/editable first post within the thread.

Your example from head-fi is a fine one, but it's not a pinned thread. Jason's first post is a fine example of what I'm proposing.

8 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Remember - the problem we are trying to solve is for monster threads. We can not know a priori which threads will become such. When such a thread occurs, I don't want to create a different (pinned) thread to contain the curated bits from the monster thread. Rather, I want a way to have an index/wiki/Q&A/editable first post within the thread

Oh my ! Shoot for the moon !  Ok I see what you are getting at, but I don't know of any code that does anything like that  :(  And a wiki for a single thread sounds like overkill :)

OTOH, I believe what I propose is doable with existing tools, and I bet that it would entail a lot less overhead then whatever might result from your dream solution ;)

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Your example from head-fi is a fine one, but it's not a pinned threadJason's first post is a fine example of what I'm proposing.

Right, I was illustrating the 'Continuously editable first post' idea (notice the asterisk  :) )

5 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Oh my ! Shoot for the moon !

Well, hardly. I consider a perpetually editable original post, by OP or designate, to be as easy to implement as a separate pinned thread. And the former is far more useful, in my opinion.

Not sure why we're debating this - I think we're in agreement re your Head-fi example. I just don't think the pinned thread approach is a good one.

5 minutes ago, Daudio said:

And a wiki for a single thread sounds like overkill :)

Flyertalk does exactly that. See, for example: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1703113-aa-guide-lax-los-angeles-int-airport-mct-connection-etc-master-thread.html

Granted, they may have more resources at that site. But technically, it's not just doable - it's been done. 

OK, I believe I've found something that will get us much closer to the ideal situation. In the end it may take a combination of items, but this one looks like it's the major key. I have a couple questions into the plugin author and will implement this if the answers come back in the affirmative. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-12 at 10.53.29 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

OK, I believe everything is working as it should. 

The OP now has the ability to edit the first post without a time limit.

I see this working as you suggested and possibly adding the change owner plugin if the OP doesn't want to keep up with suggestions to keep the "index" etc... I could switch the owner to someone who wants to be the thread curator. 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, I believe everything is working as it should. 

The OP now has the ability to edit the first post without a time limit.

I see this working as you suggested and possibly adding the change owner plugin if the OP doesn't want to keep up with suggestions to keep the "index" etc... I could switch the owner to someone who wants to be the thread curator. 

This is awesome, Chris!

Let's give this a try and see how it goes. I'll put the word out on the monster threads I participate in, and see if the OP's want to curate. If not, we'll put out a call for volunteers, and see how it goes.

Hopefully over time, you'll be able to explore some of the richer features like Q&A and Pages. Something like a Page (essentially a wiki) sounds appealing, since it requires no one person to be burdened with curation.

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hopefully over time, you'll be able to explore some of the richer features like Q&A and Pages. Something like a Page (essentially a wiki) sounds appealing, since it requires no one person to be burdened with curation.

9 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Chris - 

Perhaps you would like to announce this in the General forum yourself? If so, I can wait and key off your announcement.

We use Pages for all the front page articles and reviews. I'll continue looking into the possibilities, now that I know people are interested in using this type of stuff. 

Yes, I'll announce it now on the general forum. 

58 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Chris,

I believe we will need the "change owner" plugin sooner, rather than later. @romaz, who originated the massively useful thread https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/, is taking a hiatus (we all hope, temporary) from the forums, so we will certainly need an alternate.

I'll put out a call for volunteers on that thread.

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Chris,

I believe we will need the "change owner" plugin sooner, rather than later. @romaz, who originated the massively useful thread https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-the-sms-200-and-microrendu/, is taking a hiatus (we all hope, temporary) from the forums, so we will certainly need an alternate.

I'll put out a call for volunteers on that thread.

OK. I'll get the site ready.

OK, back with another possible feature to consider. I'm not totally sold on this one, but I could be persuaded. Let me know what you guys think.

Here's what the author of the plugin says it does:

"So, are you tired of those useless topics that tells you nothing and has dozens of posts in one day ?

This plugin will allow users (from selected groups) to ignore topics (on selected forums). Ignored topics won't appear in Activity Streams or search results.

Members can manage their ignored topics on Accounts Settings.

Settings:

• Groups allowed to use the feature
  • Forums where topics can be ignored
  • Hide IGNORED topics from Activity Streams
  • Hide IGNORED topics from Search Results
  • Display IGNORED badge on forum view
  • Display IGNORED badge on topic view
  • Topics to be ignored by new members"

Sounds like exactly what I wanted.  Remember I asked for a way to ignore a thread instead of ignoring a user?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's