IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

43 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

It looks good, and I checked out the responsive version, and it scales well to mobile devices. 

I noticed a couple of oddities on my phone (Android/Chrome). I'll get a screenshot if it happens again.

26 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm glad you asked. I did a lot of research on the appropriate width of text / paragraphs etc... and most of it said about 70 characters / 10 words wide was the sweet spot. 

Thanks for the feedback. I can always make tweaks to improve the experience. 

I wouldn't mind slightly wider text either. Of course I can always make it look any way I want with some CSS overrides.

Hmm, this was two different posts that somehow got merged. What's up with that?

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the feedback. Going from a wide screen to this is kind of tough, but nearly all readability studies suggest this is the sweet spot with respect to number of characters and line length. 

I'm looking into the font size.

Studies also show that cables don't matter.

Just now, Jud said:

Hmm, not so sure about combining posts now - the last one combined two replies of mine to two different people several minutes apart, which might become confusing.  Let's see if this one gets combined too.

I suspect it does that if you make multiple posts with nobody posting in between.

18 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Ok, you can add a new activity stream which lists "unread content" (threads) with the "content you follow" view.  Or you can use the "content you follow view" but that posts duplicate posts of the same thread.  I want the "last unread post" from the "content you follow" activity stream with no dupes.

Condensed or expanded with no dupes would do it!

I had no trouble getting the view I think you're after. Just mess with the controls until it displays what you want, then save the settings as a new "stream" which you can also make the default view. It's not immediately obvious what all the options do, but just about anything is possible.

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Can you take a screen shot of your custom activity stream settings that yield the view (of just threads I subscribe to that have most recent activity on top) which I describe above?  I keep trying...

Does this show enough to replicate?

Screenshot_20170319-232735.png

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This AM I changed the time allowed to edit a post. It was set at 5 minutes by default. I tripled it to 15 minutes. We'll see how that goes.

I'd prefer an even longer edit window. Why not make it a full hour?

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Or a thread to offer users various customizations for the site pages they can apply themselves with CSS (cascading style sheets), as mansr was talking about.

This works well on desktop where most browsers have such features/extensions. Mobile browsers often (e.g. Chrome on Android) lack this ability.

2 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hey Chris: 

I was briefly able to try your "Test" stream (stumbled upon it) a few minutes ago before you deleted it.

How did you make it?!  That "Test" stream was almost exactly what I have been begging for: A list of Followed Topics with Unread posts (as opposed to a list of unread posts in Topics that I follow).

Please bring this back--or give/tell us the parameters--and allow us to further customize that!  THANKS.

--Alex C.

P.S. I know that this belongs in the thread (uh sorry, Topic) on Activity Streams.  But you did the Test stream for someone here and seem to be right in the thick of it here.

Try this: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/discover/6/

8 hours ago, labjr said:

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the Chrome browser on my phone. Doesn't look like a typical mobile site. More like a full size site. Text is small so I have to stretch to expand and move the page to read it.

It works fine for me in Chrome on both phone and tablet.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just removed a lot of white space between posts and changed the line that separates each post to be a bit thinner yet darker in color.

Minor nitpick: there's a thicker/darker line preceding the first unread post. It would look nicer if this could be merged with the regular separator.