IGNORED

Iso regen

On 3/13/2017 at 10:28 AM, Superdad said:

But if your DAC needs VBUS power, then you have to feed our REGENs (both models) at least 6V since the regulator for VBUS needs to be able to drop some to regulate to 5V.

Perhaps a dumb question...I am using an SU-1 that I want to power with 5v from the LPS-1.  Ideally I could use the LPS-1 to also power the Iso Regen at 5v.  However, the SU-1 needs vbus power as well.  If I use the LPS-1 to provide the vbus power via my split usb cable, can I then power the Iso Regen (and SU-1) with 5v instead of 6v?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

15 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

Could you please give a little more detail on the system you are trying to put together? I assume you have some sort of source that outputs USB, then you want to go through an ISO REGEN, then to an SU-1?

I'm not familiar with the details of the SU-1, you mention it needs VBUS but also needs external power, correct? If so it sounds like you will be having double isolation, which will be bypassed if you feed both from the same LPS-1.

If the VBUS from the ISO REGEN is driving ANYTHING, then the voltage powering it must be higher than 5V. If you use a power injector to feed the load then you could theoretically get away with the same 5V driving the ISO REGEN and the injector.

John S.

Thank you John.  Right now, my system is PC >> SU-1 >> DAC.  I want my system to be PC >> ISO Regen >> SU-1 >> DAC

The SU-1 needs VBUS as well as external 5v.  Right now I am powering both the SU-1  and providing VBUS to it from a 5v battery.

I understand that if the ISO Regen is driving the SU-1 it will need higher than 5v which is why I was thinking if I use the LPS-1 to provide the VBUS then I could use it to also power the ISO Regen and SU-1 at 5v instead of 6v.  

I hope that makes sense.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

13 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I wanted to power the SU-1 and ISO Regen using a single LPS-1 as well. But, the SU-1, according to Singxer, must receive 5vdc only. Any more and it would be damaged. The SU-1 uses the USB VBUS power so the ISO Regen would need more than 5vdc.

So, a single LPS-1 is not going to work. I am not inclined to buy a second LPS-1. So, I am inclined to use a Mean Well SMPS to power the ISO Regen and a Mean Well SMPS to power the LPS-1 powering the SU-1.

I decided to hold off buying the SU-1 and to continue to use the Singxer F-1 I have instead. I will use the LPS-1 I have to power the ISO Regen when I get it.

Exactly.  Which is why I am asking if I can supply VBUS from the LPS-1 via a split USB cable.  This would bypass the ISO Regen supplying the VBUS.  I would use 3 way splitter from the LPS-1 and power the SU-1, ISO Regen, and VBUS all at 5V.

Sounds like from John's response this would work in theory. 

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...

@ElviaCaprice

@firedog

Similarly what would interest me is if the IsoRegen can make a standard and cheap minipc acting as NAA sound just as good as a specialized device like the microrendu or sms-200.  When I compared a mr with lps-1 to my i3 based PC, the mr definitely sounded better.  As much as I wanted to get either the mr or SMS I don't like being dependent on them to upgrade their kernel to support usage of my SU-1.  The fix has been on github for a while now with still no update from either company which I am totally ok with as a business decision.  But that only makes me prefer a pc based NAA solution so that I have more options.  

Anyway, I will definitely get the IsoRegen once it's released.  I just hope it doesnt break the bank!

Other components:

Guys, I have a question about the USPCB and IsoRegen VBUS.  I intend to use the IsoRegen and USPCB right before my Singxer SU-1 DDC.  The SU-1 requires VBUS in addition to 5V for operation.  Right now, I am using a split USB cable to inject VBUS from either my LPS or 5V battery.  

1.  Is the VBUS coming from the IsoRegen of sufficient quality so that I can just use that for the SU-1 instead of supplying it separately?

2.  My original intent was to purchase a short USB cable from Curious and have them add a separate VBUS cable with appropriate 2.1mm female connector so I can provide VBUS.  Will the USPCB be theoretically superior to the Curious cable?

Other components:

Awesome thank you Alex.  So I dont need to futz around with a split cable anymore!  

Please let me know if the USPCB will fit when using the I2S output from the SU-1 when you get your new HDMI cable.  

Other components:

1 minute ago, R1200CL said:

Did you not bypass the original PS of the SU-1 and add a LPS-1 ?

Is it that LPS-1 that supplies both VBUS and the rest of your SU-1

(I'm interested in exchange my F1 in an SU-1, so I like to understand what works or not). 

The plan is to power the SU-1 and supply VBUS with the LPS-1 but I have not received mine yet (I just placed an order for it a few days ago).  For now, I am using a Teknet 5v battery and it works just fine.  I wanted to verify that i could get the SU-1 working in this configuration before buying the LPS-1.  The SU-1 uses very little power by the way.  If the LPS-1 sounds better than my battery or linear power supply I will need to buy another one for the IsoRegen.  Ouch!

Other components:

@Superdad any luck with the new Wireworld HDMI cable and the USPCB fitting on the back of the SU-1?

Other components:

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

When looking into the B connector, it will be rotated 90 degrees. Think of it this way, you are looking into the B plug, for the normal version the beveled edges are pointing UP. For the rotated version, everything else stays the same, except the B plug which is rotated 90 degrees clock-wise. The beveled edges will point to the right.

John S.

@Superdad would this rotated USPCB fit the SU-1 and the HDMI cable?

Other components:

15 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Indeed it will!  I was wishing for a 90-degree USPCB when I was hooking up my SU-1>Holo Spring. B|

Awesome!! Add this to my Iso Regen order!

BTW, I should be getting my LPS-1 Monday.  Thank you for the fast shipment!

Other components:

@gsquared nice!  BTW, which Wireworld HDMI is that?  I just got the Ultraviolet and it sounds awesome!

Other components:

31 minutes ago, gsquared said:

Mine is the Starlight 5.2. I bought it from Kitsune Hifi along with the Holo Spring + SU-1. The combo sounds fantastic! I am, however, still getting some nasty pops during sample rate changes - the solution remains a mystery.

OK I am going to audition the Silver Starlight and see how it compares to my Ultraviolet.  My wallet hopes that I cant hear a difference.

Other components:

In my setup, I need to use a USB cable to connect my pc to my soon to be purchase IsoRegen.  I will be using the USPCB to connect the IsoRegen to my SU-1.  My question is, will adding the USPCB to the end my USB cable from the PC improve things?  (I understand I will need to get another adapter to go from USB B female to USB A female).  

Other components:

On 4/7/2017 at 2:22 PM, tboooe said:

In my setup, I need to use a USB cable to connect my pc to my soon to be purchase IsoRegen.  I will be using the USPCB to connect the IsoRegen to my SU-1.  My question is, will adding the USPCB to the end my USB cable from the PC improve things?  (I understand I will need to get another adapter to go from USB B female to USB A female).  

Sorry to bump my own question but @Superdad I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Just trying to figure out if I should order IsoRegen + 1 or 2 USPCB

Other components:

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

I have a couple of answers:

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

:D

I would respectfully disagree with the maker of the IsoRegen about this target market :) .  I think the IsoRegen is targeted at anyone wanting better sound from the USB output of any device (microrendu, PC, etc). 

Other components:

6 minutes ago, Middy said:

I thought I was going to be clever and link a 3 way Y connector for DC. Our Chinese friends don't seem to make them.  As an idea for people wanting fancy DC cables, I can only think of splitting 3 male connectors wiring them and use something like epoxy putty to make a little shell. Glad I just need a 2 way.... When the ISO hits the streets.

You mean like this??

51BcvRZiy2L._SL1000_.jpg

Other components:

55 minutes ago, Middy said:

Seeing fancy cables are expensive.

Not that Japanese brand but the only ones with fancy metal connectors are here. A nice all in one kit DIY.

Buy this and an extra 2 connectors.

2 small custom cables...

French site hopefully the link with be the translation page...

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/kits-cables-secteur/kit-cable-diy-elecaudio-jdc-121-alimentation-jack-dc-21-vers-dc-21mm-1m-p-9999.html

Dave?

Since I am lazy I am just going to buy the star quad cable that @Superdad mentioned he will be selling after the IsoRegen launch.  

Other components:

1 minute ago, Middy said:

Hey NP,  I was more suprised there aren't more metal connectors on the market.

I don't know if they are any good to John? in size but handy at least for audio porn. .? or diy fun. .

Good luck

Dave

The oyaide DC connectors are nice.  Check out eBay.  I am going to buy a few to diy myself.

Other components:

3 minutes ago, SWL3600 said:

Just ordered two of the new USPCB adaptors. Gonna compare them to the Curious Regen-Link full loom. :)

How did you do that?  I don't see them listed on the Uptone website...You got a secret connection?????

Other components:

kmss4.gif

Other components:

4 hours ago, Middy said:

I know it's soon Gents but some info. . anything..?

Or people start posting that picture about taking money every other post..

58f6847b92279_2017-04-1822_19_14.thumb.png.102c844c50760bd46581fc1df5da9420.png

Sold...how much?

Other components: