IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

15 hours ago, Miska said:

One note about EC modulators and stretching hardware to the limits. After struggling a day plus... If you play Tidal through Roon (Core doesn't need to be on the same computer) and you get jerky playback with dropouts. Try playing local content from Roon before concluding it is your CPU or settings! Or alternatively try Tidal through UPnP. If local content or UPnP works while Tidal/Qobuz through Roon doesn't it is not necessarily your CPU, settings or internet connection. Instead, please report here!

Will report back, of course I do have noticed if you are streaming content 44.1 source will play fine but 96 content or higher might stutter 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, Miska said:

Yes, I may be annoying with this stuff

Hi Jussi, just FYI and without being rhetoric here trust me. If this is related to the "yelled" statement.  I would not say you are annoying with this stuff, it is just it is designed to work on your platform, the "yelled" statement was more of a joke brought by another user. And we totally understand and we have never criticized anything as paid software users.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:18 PM, Miska said:

You know, it is painful to hear "I fiddled with things and now it doesn't work anymore".

We understand that fiddling with things may break things no doubt about it, sometimes we have to resort to multihomed etc. because of specific house configs etc. where we cannot have cable runs from one location to another in a simple easy fashion. If you recall I ran into some issues not because of fiddling but just updating, and yes the OS packages were updated too and maybe there lied the issue I don't know and if you recalled I never bothered you much with support as I know we are running on an "non officially supported config" and I get it.

Summarizing because I think it is important you know "my" (and possibly others) positions. 

1. HQPlayer it is by far the best software I (we) know capable of upsampling with a ton of different filters and modulators, PCM or DSD, discreet and multiple hardware architectures, multiple OS's, from the simplest to the more complex audio, performing "WHAT NO OTHER DAC OR ?SCALER DO" (and I'm not saying it is better than some DAC's, that would be an ignorant overstatement for which I'm not qualified) all this algorithm at a fraction of the cost of other devices in this HiFi world (this is just for the record :) please I'm not trying to incline you to increase pricing). 

2. On top of that part by necessity, part by convenience you developed your own kernel and distribution for many different hardware platforms with optimized settings to get the best performance, we know, these settings perform as well or maybe better "than other paid versions of just software OS) and for that we are very grateful, to have for a reasonable price a great ecosystem of OS+software+options to allows to enjoy music even more. My point (and I presume yours as well) you are not only getting HQP you are also getting the optimized OS to run it as a non technical experience user just by copying an ISO image.

Now if you all others in this forum want to label me as a kiss a.. / brown nose etc. that is your prerogative.

Just what I really think

4 hours ago, Miska said:
4 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer OS image supports running HQPlayer + NAA in "multihomed" mode

I'm going to give HQP OS a try, I always used just the NAA image because of the smaller footprint but seems HQP OS is more complete. Thanks 

16 minutes ago, brother love said:

If an Ubuntu 18.04LTS music server is used with latest HQPlayer without Roon or similar type programs ...any advantages to using embedded vs. desktop if used solely in a home network set-up?

I tested desktop in Windows not in Linux and then purchased HQPe (Embedded), will run in Ubuntu in headless version, that's the way I was running it before and loved it, I know it is not as cost effective as the Desktop version but the convenience for a minimal footprint OS is there. Also if you decide to move away from Ubuntu and run Miska's image HQP OS with extra optimizations over Ubuntu you can do it with embedded as well and if you decide to try something else like Audiolinux, Euphony etc. the embedded license will work there as well.

To me the headless convenience of HQPe makes all the difference. Now if you are very pragmatic and you are absolutely sure you are fine with Ubuntu and a desktop environment and that won't change then I guess you can go with Desktop. Not having to run desktop leaves more resources for HQPe upsampling and OS apps and services won't compete with it.

24 minutes ago, brother love said:

Could any of these new HQPlayer iterations allow for Spotify/ Tidal upsampling thru HQPlayer? (I know it can be done thru Roon or with streamer hardware, just not sure if possible other ways).

I was running Bubble Upnp player something at some point from a tablet or something for this but don't really remember the details. but I think you can connect it to Tidal and stream to HQPe.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Sigi said:

I purchased the licence months ago, dont understand why the fingerprint changed! Just because I connected differently to a switch? Hardware didnt change! I am not amused if everytime I try something I have to request a new key!!!

You running AL by any chance Sigi @Sigi in ramroot mode? just checking

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

HQPE SERVER NOT RUNNING VIDEOS CARD.EVERYTHING IS WIRED NOT MULTIHOMED.NAA WORKS PROPERLY WITH REGULARD DESKTOP ONLY ISSUE IS WITH HQPE.

I'm sorry I should have asked first, HQPE is running on HQP OS correct? (Miska's image), not Ubuntu, AL or other distro.  so is the NAA correct?

Been trying to get a more powerful computer to play using HQPe. Dedicated my NUC server to NAA and a gaming rig to be the server.

Can't play for some reason, 

RoonServer and HQPe running on Audiolinux ---> NAA ---> USB Denafrips DAC

HQPe is the trial version (my license is tied to the NUC which is the NAA now). the NAA is discoverable, any ideas what could be happening?

I get the no suitable output rate from the log like if the DAC is not supported but it is detected, there is a driver, even Roon can play to it with no issues. and the NAA is online. 

NAA log

sh: /etc/networkaudiod/onconnected: No such file or directory
[networkaudiod] (903): Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 - USB HiRes Audio: USB Audio
[networkaudiod] (903): begin disconnection
[networkaudiod] (903): ALSA backend uninitialized
sh: /etc/networkaudiod/ondisconnected: No such file or directory
[networkaudiod] (903): disconnected [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:52332
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:47307
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:47307
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:38693
[networkaudiod] (903): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.95.224]:38693

HQPe Log

+ 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Control connection from 127.0.0.1:47682
+ 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Control started from 127.0.0.1:47682
& 2019/08/17 19:40:21 Stop...
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playlist clear
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playlist add URI: http://127.0.0.1:9102/079609b0ce7043c7805823ba8b26abc7/stream.raw
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Play
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Offload: resampler=disabled convolution=disabled
+ 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playback engine running
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 No suitable output rate for 96000, stop
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Stop request (tail)
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Stop...
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Parallel threads: 4
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Nested parallelism: 4
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Parallel pipelines: 4
- 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Network engine stopping...
- 2019/08/17 19:40:23 Playback engine stopped
& 2019/08/17 19:40:23 ...stopped
  2019/08/17 19:40:23 Set volume: -8
  • 8 months later...
16 hours ago, jabbr said:

so I you can do it but I don’t recommend this to people who don’t have networking expertise. 

Have you been able to use the latest kernels on your multihomed machines with no issues? after 5.2.21 I can't, not 5.5 or anything like it

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

So in this case I did my homework and he was kind enough to check 😄

You did indeed :)

yeah I don't like either to bug people, even when sometimes I'm entitled to support (and I'm not talking about HQPlayer but some other things), even with this entitlement I don't ask the developers unless I have no other solution.

As a matter of fact let me review my installation notes, update these with your comments and Miska's. I remember I installed alsa-utils like he recommended, and I installed one or two more things possibly, not completely related but useful, glances I think was one of them, although htop is very good these days and sometimes all that you need

47 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

But I took the dive into a 9900K build with big Noctua fan and quiet Seasonic PSU and quiet Fractal Design case.

Yeah I'm on the same path, I bought this fanless 1 year ago that's why I decided to finish it but I am planning to go eventually to the same build you have (which Miska have I think too)

I'm glad I followed Jussi's advice on the fan, case and PSU

Seasonic fanless right?

I use a fanless Up Board Gateway in one room and RPi4 in another and microRendu in another.

I get these intel computers with Celerons and Pentiums, fanless, almost no heat, you could power these with a 12V LPS if you want, very tiny NUC like for $80 - $100, no ram no ssd, you could add your own, and even wireless if you want. You can install ANY flavor of Linux in it, the BIOS is very detailed, you could disable USB ports, SATA, audio etc.  if you want to disable not needed systems. To me it doesn't get better for the money.

Following Jussi's advice, Cat 6 UTP cable connects all the rooms

Yeah I try to keep ethernet whenever I can, I worked with fiber before and it creates this nasty RF (750 Mhz to 1000 Mhz) spectrum of 40 dbm frequencies, I don't need more RF in my house thank you

59 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Here is my updated notes now, with Jussi's comments:

It looks perfect, it matches what I have and of course updates the paths, the only thing I will update in my case,

1. #Download Ubuntu
http://releases.ubuntu.com/20.04/ubuntu-20.04.1-live-server-amd64.iso

2. Every download I add the -4 to wget to force IPv4, it takes some time for the download to happen otherwise "sudo wget -4"

3. Used to install these "sudo apt-get install libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins" but not needed per Miska's comments before about dependencies getting resolved.

This looks perfect, thank you and Miska

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jussi, just yesterday installed HQPe on Focal, I installed your kernel with no issues (BTW I wondered what jl was on the kernel package and of course is Jussi Laako). I got a few dependencies errors on HQPe installing, still the interface is up and running but I don't know if I should be concerned.

I did of course apt update and apt install -f before and also

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins

root@audioserver:/home# sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.20.0-54_amd64.deb
Unpacking hqplayerd (4.20.0-54) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hqplayerd:
 hqplayerd depends on libgupnp-av-1.0-2 (>= 0.6.0); however:
  Package libgupnp-av-1.0-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-core-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-core-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-renderer-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-renderer-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libwavpack1; however:
  Package libwavpack1 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libgee-0.8-2; however:
  Package libgee-0.8-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on rygel; however:
  Package rygel is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on zip; however:
  Package zip is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on unzip; however:
  Package unzip is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package hqplayerd (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hqplayerd

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone, today I connected to my HQPe PC running under Ubuntu Focal 20.04 which is always ON and I installed back in Nov 2020. HQPe shows as Trial not licensed and I noticed the fingerprint changed without me altering hardware, including CPU, RAM, board, SSD, etc. I decided to go back from 4.21.1-60 to 4.20.3-58 still the same "wrong" fingerprint. I wonder if an earlier 4.20 will show another fingerprint but currently unable to download former versions from https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/focal/

Anyone has experienced anything like this with the fingerprint changing without changing the hardware? I remember about a year ago someone reported the fingerprint changing but I think (don't have confirmation) it might have happened switching OS's from Ubuntu to Audiolinux or something very specific.

I am puzzled by this, asked @Miska for a former version (circa Nov 2020) of HQPe to test, waiting on him to supply it, I guess after all the buzz with 4.20 been better sounding than 4.21 the older versions are blocked from downloading?

403 Forbidden

OpenBSD httpd

For the record last night I downloaded 4.20 to see if the fingerprint changed and installed it, sounded the same as 4.21

Another possibility which I asked Miska about was including the rocm repository, this should not of course change the fingerprint of HQPe but it is one the changes my system suffered over the last 2 months.

35 minutes ago, mtcs said:

have had a similar situation on a sonicTransperter which I update through the sonicorbiter website. Last spring, when I updated the key disappeared and went to "trial" status. The solution was simply to upland the key again, just like on the initial purchase. Unfortunately, this happened again when I updated to 4.21 and the I can't get the key to upload. I'm still working on a solution and will let you know if I solve it.

Thank you, my problem is I upload the key again and it doesn't work because the "fingerprint changed", I know the fingerprint is based on motherboard and CPU (among other things), CPU and board are the same no changes, and also memory is the same, SSD is the same, no changes whatsoever. Now the fingerprint is generated by HQPe and I suspect Miska is using of course in my case a Linux library or package. If this library that generates this hash changes or is it updated (which it shouldn't) the fingerprint will change, this is very very weird. I will expect Miska to provide an update. I don't think he changed the way he generates the fingerprint as he would have a potential nightmare supporting this but the library might have change and I have a feeling this depends deeply on the rocm repository used now as a dependency.

thank you again for taking the time to post, appreciate it

16 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

Audiolinux don't change hardware... :)

I know Piero, but the way the fingerprint is generated could have an OS (or package) dependency Archlinux and Ubuntu are indeed different in a few ways. I will install AL and see what it is reported.

I wasn't trying to imply there is anything wrong with AL.

43 minutes ago, arglebargle said:

Were you previously using a wired connection? Two different MAC addresses could perhaps trigger the fingerprint change

Thank you that's quite possible, I have wired upstairs and wireless downstairs, I have no video except when I plug the PC upstairs with an extra video card. When setting up the PC it is possible I used the wired connection and then switched to wireless (leaving the wired configured but unplugged) the macs were always the same, both interfaces are onboard. I'm doing some testing and will figure out (at least I hope) how this happened.

EDIT: And I certainly hope the video is not the reason or counts toward the fingerprint, I use another computers video card to setup and then remove it and run the computer with no video attached

EDIT 2: I mean if all that counts I can certainly request a key from the final system to be used, it is just my understanding was the fingerprint was generated based on motherboard and cpu alone, no other changing factors like ram, video or even mac addresses which could change with adding or removing cards.

EDIT 3: But it could be archlinux reporting different than Ubuntu who knows

EDIT 4: So many edits :), at the end it doesn't really matters, I am an isolated case from what I can see so all is good.

9 hours ago, maya said:

May I ask what kind wifi used in your HQPe System? Onboard or Wifi adapter ? 

Onboard wifi included with the Gigabyte B550i AORUS PRO AX, Wifi 6

9 hours ago, maya said:

Could you be more specifically to tell what are these as I tried to use wifi in HQPe with failure before.

Please I don't want to that guy but if you read my post again you will notice that I'm just trying to describe my environment on which unfortunately I am forced to rely on Wifi, at the same time on my post I mentioned you should not use Wifi as it is unreliable, will create issues, and HQPlayer won't support it, I tried once to stream from HQPe Server to an NAA Wifi and it FAILED and it will fail on every environment at least with the current technologies, so HQPe --> WIFI --> NO NO NO

What I tried doing was isolating Roon and testing streaming audio from Roon --> HQPe over Wifi, it worked for 2 hours on my listening session 2 nights ago, this doesn't mean it won't fail tonight or tomorrow, I don't have enough evidence or empirical testing yet on my environment, on my house. As a matter of fact I am 100% sure that if instead of streaming from Roon I played DSD files from Roon to HQPe wireless it will fail or break eventually, so if you have a local library this most likely won't work.

I hate Wifi and love cables, nothing is as reliable as a good copper cable, I have been doing networks for a living since 1994 and working with computers since 1980 and if there is something I learned over these years is I despise Wifi, powerline and any other invention created to go around wired copper of fiber because it usually has many drawbacks  (BTW I prefer copper over fiber when possible contrary to many here but that's another story).

Another thing I do for a living is design, sell and install Wifi networks for small, medium, large, government, state and 100k to 300k warehouses (a la Amazon style), there is another Wifi niche which is big skyscrapers where you have 300 - 500 visible SSID's and wireless networks competing with yours and most companies installing Wifis using the cheapo ones will fail miserably because they don't do a survey and they don't use multiple radios AP's with a controller using a technology to eliminate de-authentication frames  which is something that kills your Wifi (not allowing you to connect to your same SSID right next to you) shall you be in a crowded environment like apartment buildings and such . I know I sound pedantic but my objective is not to flare my experience on your face and feel especial but just for you to know that I know a thing or two about wireless technologies. So I am a partner with Ruckus (now Commscope), and other Wifi's manufacturers, Cisco, HP/Aruba, Meraki, Aerohive, I am certified and sell and install their products for the installations outlined above, when you sign as a partner one of the things is you commit to purchase a lab kit containing several of their products, one of my company kits is at my house, it includes a Ruckus 720 access point, retail price circa $1300 and a controller (forgot the retail as this one specifically is end of life) I think it was like $1500. So you can figure out that my Wifi is very good, of course I had access to this kit but I would not spend $3000 on Wifi alone for a small townhome.

Summarizing that's how I made it work, will it be stable, nah, eventually an ant will climb over the antenna blocking the signals or the butterfly will flap the wings on the other side of the world and my music playback will be disrupted,

I use Wifi with the knowledge that if the transmission fails I won't bother Miska about it, if it drops, I won't blame HQPe but my environment, that extra Wifi card indeed already creates issues since it is multihomed (2 adapters on same box wireless and wired) and yes for very specific certain things I will slightly bother Miska and I will try not to be pain in the neck.

Honestly I wish I could get rid of the Wifi, I can't run a cable as I am renting this house and the owner was very specific I cannot run cables or make changes to the property, I even ran a cable all over the stairs hanging from the rails and my wife had a heart attach, if you would see the way she decorated the house you will understand, and I learned to pick my battles ;)

So sorry for the long post but I hope it is clear my position about Wifi, I wish I wouldn't be so transparent listing that on the first place. Still hope this helps you @maya

EDIT: I used to live in a house with tall vaulted ceilings and larger living with wired ethernet all over the place, acoustically and convenient you have no idea how much I miss that house. I am looking to move and one of the reasons is my listening space, my audio system is extremely important to me as an individual, it is my hobby and my escape. Wow I'm so OT

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Hmmh, works for me. I can stream 8 channel DSD256 from HQPlayer to a NAA over WiFi without problems... ;)

Well honestly when I tried it the endpoint NAA was the weakest link, it wasn't a Wifi 6 board but an Intel 5th gen celeron with and old wireless card, nothing like 5g using broader bandwidth or band balancing  I don't use any last gen NAA's because of cost and because to me the simpler the better, so it could be possible the failure was not my Wifi infrastructure but the endpoint quality, still I rather avoid it, not very much interested on using wifi unless absolutely needed.

Aruba is pretty good, IMO not as good as Ruckus, if you don't have too many adjacent neighbors that's a plus, Cisco / Aruba for switches is great, Aruba I used these a lot, I'm a partner with them and the cost and efficiency is incredible (cough better than Cisco IMO), I am using now the Ruckus switches (former Brocade if you remember those) I get fully managed L3 switches (or L2) for $150 on Ebay, 10 Gbe over copper or fiber your pick, for my NAS and Hypervisor is a blessing, and better than Microtik which is a good value but not comparable.