IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

On 12/6/2020 at 10:50 PM, asdf1000 said:

I also tried 250ms network buffer to the RPi4 NAA last night but it results in more pops strangely

Sounds like a network / bandwidth issue then, since it puts more demand on the bandwidth. Sounds a lot like 802.3x not being functional. Just to make sure, you don't have any extra network gadgets? Just regular switch and UTP cabling?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

45 minutes ago, Miska said:

Sounds like a network / bandwidth issue then, since it puts more demand on the bandwidth. Sounds a lot like 802.3x not being functional. Just to make sure, you don't have any extra network gadgets? Just regular switch and UTP cabling?

Yep just unmanaged NetGear GS108 switches and Belden Cat 6 UTP - all gigabit.

I have no issues with 2 channel PMC768kHz, so with 6 channels, I even dropped to 6 x 96kHz which is less bandwidth than PCM768kHz but still have popping issues.

Windows NAA with ASIO driver works fine with an old HP laptop that only has 100mbps ethernet.

Is it likely issue with Linux and the Focusrite? Focusrite do say it is USB Class Audio 2 compliant.

3 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Yep just unmanaged NetGear GS108 switches and Belden Cat 6 UTP - all gigabit.

I have no issues with 2 channel PMC768kHz, so with 6 channels, I even dropped to 6 x 96kHz which is less bandwidth than PCM768kHz but still have popping issues.

Windows NAA with ASIO driver works fine with an old HP laptop that only has 100mbps ethernet.

Is it likely issue with Linux and the Focusrite? Focusrite do say it is USB Class Audio 2 compliant.

Maybe, I have no idea why it happens. But if it is those short pops of 125 µs audio missing then it is lost USB packet on the way to the DAC.

Hello, as a Jriver user I am thinking about replacing it with the HQplayer embedded. I own a RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I am a linux user (Intel NUC). HQP embedded has a custom kernel, so I supposed that there might be a patch for native DSD, but I could play only in DoP. Is it possible that there will be a kernel patch for RME DAC in future? Thank you.

2 hours ago, vma said:

Hello, as a Jriver user I am thinking about replacing it with the HQplayer embedded. I own a RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I am a linux user (Intel NUC). HQP embedded has a custom kernel, so I supposed that there might be a patch for native DSD, but I could play only in DoP. Is it possible that there will be a kernel patch for RME DAC in future? Thank you.

There is no native (non-DoP) DSD support in ADI-2, so there is nothing to do about that. DoP is the only way you can send DSD there (and get DSD from ADI-2 Pro).

58 minutes ago, Miska said:

There is no native (non-DoP) DSD support in ADI-2, so there is nothing to do about that. DoP is the only way you can send DSD there (and get DSD from ADI-2 Pro).

As far as I know if you use ASIO and drivers made by RME (Windows), there is native DSD possible.

Page 33 from manual:

"RME’s driver supports DSD over ASIO in DoP format as well as ASIO native. ADI-2 DAC therefore is compatible to many programs, like HQPlayer, and JRiver, but also to DSD recording software like Merging's Pyramix, Sound-It and VinylStudio."

37 minutes ago, vma said:

As far as I know if you use ASIO and drivers made by RME (Windows), there is native DSD possible.

Page 33 from manual:

"RME’s driver supports DSD over ASIO in DoP format as well as ASIO native. ADI-2 DAC therefore is compatible to many programs, like HQPlayer, and JRiver, but also to DSD recording software like Merging's Pyramix, Sound-It and VinylStudio."

The "ASIO native" means the driver does DoP packing instead of application... But over the USB, DSD is always using DoP with ADI-2.

On 12/8/2020 at 10:23 PM, Miska said:

Maybe, I have no idea why it happens. But if it is those short pops of 125 µs audio missing then it is lost USB packet on the way to the DAC.

Hi @Miska

I've done lots of testing.

I can send DoP256 using that same ethernet cable (with RME ADI-2 DAC swapped in place of the Focusrite), and I have no dropouts. If it was a networking thing otherwise that would reveal issues.

And Windows NAA works with the Focusrite. I put bootable HQP OS on that same Windows machine (same USB cable, same network cable) and have the same pops.

So I don't see how it could be lost USB packets on way to the DAC, otherwise all these other tests would reveal issues.

I also tried DAC bits to 32 bits and 250ms network and still get pops.

Is there any kind of data on the NAA/HQP OS that I could pull up that might reveal to you what issue could be?

Or any other kinds of tests?

I hate using Windows for NAA but at least it works.

This reminds me of the microRendu DSD512 pops saga that I brought to your attention which you fixed 😁 It's the same nightmare

image.png.2fc7a5e1c0c35d6e5d6bfb69cfdfa203.png

1 hour ago, asdf1000 said:

I can send DoP256 using that same ethernet cable (with RME ADI-2 DAC swapped in place of the Focusrite), and I have no dropouts. If it was a networking thing otherwise that would reveal issues.

And Windows NAA works with the Focusrite. I put bootable HQP OS on that same Windows machine (same USB cable, same network cable) and have the same pops.

So I don't see how it could be lost USB packets on way to the DAC, otherwise all these other tests would reveal issues.

I'd say it's a buggy USB implementation / firmware. It can still very well be lost USB packets and not happening in all tests. Windows driver could be taking into account firmware bugs at the other end (not at all unusual situation for pro-audio interface).

6 hours ago, Miska said:

I'd say it's a buggy USB implementation / firmware. It can still very well be lost USB packets and not happening in all tests. Windows driver could be taking into account firmware bugs at the other end (not at all unusual situation for pro-audio interface).

Is there some patch required that could help as per:

https://gist.github.com/xkr47/0af6978ce3f17993b07e1cdcd12ca377

image.png.6f70895229dfa80d9d9b88c28d68f619.png

Hi @Miska

The Matrix profiles feature (saving and loading) is really failing to work for me.

I must be doing something wrong.

I first load the impulse respone files on the Matrix page, and then hit apply. Then I go to the profile name bar and type new name and finally press save....

I do this with two very different profiles, one with neutral target curve and one with 12dB bass boost (very obvious different with dual subwoofers).

I then use "load" option to switch between Neutral and 12dB bass boost profile but it stays stuck on the last profile I manually uploaded impulese respone files for.

Can you help with the sequence I'm supposed to be using?

Ok i just realised there's no need to hit apply when creating new profiles.

This was a bit confusing / non-intuitive for me.

Just loading the IR files and creating name and hitting save is enough.

And now the "process' field actually shows me which IR are active. 

Ok I think it's ok now.

It was confusing in Firebox because the browser remembers previous entries in that field . My new entires with same name (but different measurement and thus different IR files) are at the bottom, below the solid line.

Is there a way you can get this working like Roon, where you just upload a zip file and Roon works it all out?

Hi @Miska

Is HQPlayer Client for macOS supposed to be able to control volume of HQP Embedded now playing?

I have my HQPe machine playing USBStreamer input. But HQP Client 4.8.1 doesn't see that machine.

HQPDControl app on iOS does see that machine but I cannot control volume and Matrix profiles.

Since you have HQP working on M1 Mac, does this mean you can in future have an app for iOS that can control HQPe volume and change Matrix profiles?

At the moment I need to have Safari browser open for USBStreamer input volume control. And to change Matrix profiles on the fly.

14 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Is HQPlayer Client for macOS supposed to be able to control volume of HQP Embedded now playing?

I have my HQPe machine playing USBStreamer input. But HQP Client 4.8.1 doesn't see that machine.

Yes, all clients (HQPlayer Client and HQPDcontrol) should work pretty much the same with HQPlayer Desktop and HQPlayer Embedded.

You can type in IP address of the HQPlayer Embedded machine if the HQPlayer Client discovery doesn't see it.

HQPDControl app on iOS does see that machine but I cannot control volume and Matrix profiles.

Do you happen to have fixed volume setting or Direct SDM enabled in HQPlayer settings?

Since you have HQP working on M1 Mac, does this mean you can in future have an app for iOS that can control HQPe volume and change Matrix profiles?

M1 is not related to this. Technically I could build HQPlayer Client for iPadOS, but HQPDcontrol may still be better suited for mobile devices, so I have not been doing it.

At the moment I need to have Safari browser open for USBStreamer input volume control. And to change Matrix profiles on the fly.

It should work the same from HQPlayer Client.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Do you happen to have fixed volume setting or Direct SDM enabled in HQPlayer settings?

Definitely do not and cannot have fixed volume. I adjust volume in Roon or HQPe browser- i have DAC feeding power amps directly.

And Direct SDM is not enabled. For this particular system I using 3-channels PCM192kHz output with Matrix profile (L, R , subwoofer) for digital room EQ. Focusrite USB interface limited to PCM192kHz.

I have Matrix enabled for switching between different profiles.

I'll share screenshots of my Config page when I get home tomorrow 

1 hour ago, asdf1000 said:

Definitely do not and cannot have fixed volume. I adjust volume in Roon or HQPe browser- i have DAC feeding power amps directly.

And Direct SDM is not enabled. For this particular system I using 3-channels PCM192kHz output with Matrix profile (L, R , subwoofer) for digital room EQ. Focusrite USB interface limited to PCM192kHz.

I have Matrix enabled for switching between different profiles.

I'll share screenshots of my Config page when I get home tomorrow 

Just try Client straight with IP (or hostname if you have functional name resolution) of the server. Then volume and profile switching should certainly work. And at least volume control from HQPDcontrol as well. I don't remember about matrix profile switching part.  @Ales Prochazka can hopefully help on that front.

On 12/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, Miska said:

Just try Client straight with IP (or hostname if you have functional name resolution) of the server. Then volume and profile switching should certainly work. And at least volume control from HQPDcontrol as well. I don't remember about matrix profile switching part.  @Ales Prochazka can hopefully help on that front.

Thanks, I got Client to work nicely using IP address method. Changing Matrix profiles works nicely too. 

I can't see how to change Matrix profiles with HQPDcontrol . I can view the current profile but cannot change while I am playing music, like I can with Client app. Is it possible to add this feature @Ales Prochazka?

This is my first time using HQP Client app. The volume control is scary - I accidentally went direct to -3dB by accident. Luckily it was very quiet part of a track.

I like the Roon + and - buttons for 1dB increment increases - and it also has the sliding dot for faster large increments .

Any chances you could look at this?

On 12/20/2020 at 4:07 AM, asdf1000 said:

This is my first time using HQP Client app. The volume control is scary - I accidentally went direct to -3dB by accident. Luckily it was very quiet part of a track.

I like the Roon + and - buttons for 1dB increment increases - and it also has the sliding dot for faster large increments .

Any chances you could look at this?

You have multiple methods of adjusting the volume with Client. With volume keys, mouse wheel, drag, or using the pop-up dialog with mouse or arrow keys, etc...

Only scary thing I can think of using kinetic scrolling.

Hi @Miska

When I boot/reboot my HQPe machine, matrix profile loads with 'default' profile - it doesn't boot with the last matrix profile that was last used. Any chance the last loaded/active matrix profile can be kept on machine boot/reboot?

If not possible, then  what is 'default' ? And how do I set a particular profile to be the 'default'?

image.thumb.png.6fd1b585dcf000582f64e761f9c0d45c.png

19 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

When I boot/reboot my HQPe machine, matrix profile loads with 'default' profile - it doesn't boot with the last matrix profile that was last used. Any chance the last loaded/active matrix profile can be kept on machine boot/reboot?

If not possible, then  what is 'default' ? And how do I set a particular profile to be the 'default'?

image.thumb.png.6fd1b585dcf000582f64e761f9c0d45c.png

Default is the one you "Apply" on the config page.

46 minutes ago, Miska said:

Default is the one you "Apply" on the config page.

Thanks!

Did you see my message last week about Focusrite patch?

Is there anything at the link I shared that is useful for some kind of patch? Or nothing there that gives you any confidence to try incorporating into HQP OS / NAA image?

9 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

Did you see my message last week about Focusrite patch?

Is there anything at the link I shared that is useful for some kind of patch? Or nothing there that gives you any confidence to try incorporating into HQP OS / NAA image?

Yes, I've seen it. It should eventually land in upstream kernel and through that back to the kernels I use.