IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

5 hours ago, Miska said:

OK, then it should work. You could check if there's an error in HQPlayer log file when you try to play.

Usually there is pretty clear error message.

Interesting ... I rescoured the log and the CUDA library failed to load ... missed this on my first glance ... so need to debug my NVIDIA drivers ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

jon@jon-w2245:~$ nvidia-smi

Sat Nov 21 15:45:21 2020       

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| NVIDIA-SMI 450.80.02    Driver Version: 450.80.02    CUDA Version: 11.0     |

|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |

| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |

|                               |                      |               MIG M. |

|===============================+======================+======================|

|   0  GeForce RTX 208...  Off  | 00000000:65:00.0 Off |                  N/A |

| 41%   34C    P8    20W / 260W |    467MiB / 10985MiB |      1%      Default |

|                               |                      |                  N/A |

+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                                  |

|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |

|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |

|=============================================================================|

|    0   N/A  N/A      1768      C   /usr/bin/hqplayerd                217MiB |

|    0   N/A  N/A      1792      G   /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg                166MiB |

|    0   N/A  N/A      2098      G   /usr/bin/sddm-greeter              78MiB |

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

23 hours ago, jabbr said:

I am using the latest HQPE hqplayerd_4.20.0-54_amd64.deb on Focal 20.04.1

When playing 24/192 content -> DSD256/512,  sinc-M hangs  / doesn't play but for example poly-sinc-xtr-mp is fine. Is this a known limitation?

I am having the same issue as jabbr. Sinc-M and Sinc-S both do not play on 4.20. They work fine on 4.19. Here is a section of my error log.  Looks like some sort of CUDA initialization issue:

+ 2020/11/21 20:46:20 Playback engine running
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Rate or blocksize change triggered
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Rate: 88200, block size: 7056, frame size: 1176
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Block size: 7056 (sample: 3)
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Oversampling: sinc (1M taps)
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Modulator: adaptive seventh order 1-bit ec
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Integrator: IIR
! 2020/11/21 20:46:20 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): clFilterCuda::Init(): CUDA init error 1
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Stop request (reset)
- 2020/11/21 20:46:20 Playback engine stopped
& 2020/11/21 20:46:20 Stop...
& 2020/11/21 20:46:20 ...stopped
  2020/11/21 20:46:20 Set volume: -35 +
! 2020/11/21 20:46:20 _stop_req(): clHQPlayerEngine::Stop(): clHQPlayerEngine::ResetBuffers(): clFFTInterpolator::Put(): !bInitialized
& 2020/11/21 20:46:32 Pause
2 hours ago, jabbr said:

| NVIDIA-SMI 450.80.02    Driver Version: 450.80.02    CUDA Version: 11.0     |

This is too old, Embedded is now at CUDA 11.1...

CUDA stops working immediately when the display driver is too old.

! 2020/11/21 20:46:20 clHQPlayerEngine::Execute(): clFilterCuda::Init(): CUDA init error 1

This can also happen if the GPU runs out of RAM.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Hi @Miska

For the new RME ADI-2 DAC FS: "The SPDIF input signal can even be recorded via USB - as one would expect from RME the DAC is a true 2 channel Full Duplex audio interface."

Does this mean I could feed ADI-2 DAC Bluesound Node 2i via TOSlink, then ADI-2 USB output feeds direct to HQP Embedded "Input", which then outputs back to ADI-2 over USB, which then outputs via analogue outputs?

With automatic sample rate switching? Giving an advantage over having miniDSP USBStreamer ?

HQPlayer Desktop 4.8.0 (using both focal and bionic versions):

/usr/bin/hqplayer4client               
qrc:/files/qml/SplashScreen.qml: File was compiled ahead of time with an incompatible version of Qt and the original fi
le cannot be found. Please recompile
QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/files/qml/MainScreen.qml: File was compiled ahead of time with an incompatible version of Qt and the original file
cannot be found. Please recompile

QT version 5.15.2

With the same QT version HQPlayer client 4.7.2 is working fine.

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

4 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

HQPlayer Desktop 4.8.0 (using both focal and bionic versions):

/usr/bin/hqplayer4client               
qrc:/files/qml/SplashScreen.qml: File was compiled ahead of time with an incompatible version of Qt and the original fi
le cannot be found. Please recompile
QQmlApplicationEngine failed to load component
qrc:/files/qml/MainScreen.qml: File was compiled ahead of time with an incompatible version of Qt and the original file
cannot be found. Please recompile

QT version 5.15.2

With the same QT version HQPlayer client 4.7.2 is working fine.

Focal has Qt 5.12.8 at the moment. It should work fine there, since that's where it was built on. 4.7.2 was still built on Bionic.

There is no Bionic version of HQPlayer Desktop >= 4.8...

On 11/22/2018 at 7:56 AM, Miska said:

There is one important setting that switches the port from host (OTG) mode to device mode... IIRC, it defaults to host mode.

See under "Chipset" menu, "South Bridge" and there set:

USB OTG Support: PCI mode

Default DRD Config: DeviceMode

DRD Access method: Sideband

Hi @Miska

So I have HQP OS on both my 9900K server (with license) and Up Board Gateway (as NAA, no license).

On UpBoard Gateway: I choose input as "USB Audio Class 2". This has a micro B usb cable going to my Mac. Also has a USB cable going to RME ADI-2 DAC.

And on 9900K HQPe I choose network backed is the NAA ADI-2 USB Audio.

But on Mac I only see the following as soundcard ("Playback Inactive")

Is there anything above that stands out as wrong

image.png.d16d0f6392ace6d118cd0a972fcce213.png

If I run the UpBoard as server and choose ALSA backend to the ADI-2, the USB Audio Class work, even though it's still called "Playback Inactive". It works really well though. Reliable with auto sample rate switching. Works better in that regard on macOS than on Windows for me.

So UpBoard works on its own this way. But not as an NAA with input? I really want to send DSD256 to the ADI-2.

Am I choosing inputs on wrong device?

2 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

So I have HQP OS on both my 9900K server (with license) and Up Board Gateway (as NAA, no license).

On UpBoard Gateway: I choose input as "USB Audio Class 2". This has a micro B usb cable going to my Mac. Also has a USB cable going to RME ADI-2 DAC.

And on 9900K HQPe I choose network backed is the NAA ADI-2 USB Audio.

You cannot have same NAA do both input and output, at least currently. Then in HQPlayer you need to have correct input and output devices selected. Where in the gateway you are choosing "USB Audio Class 2"?

And as you know, you need to start the playback in HQPlayer first before the USB interface appears.

And if you run HQPlayer OS on two devices, remember to either disable NAA on the one where you use HQPlayer (with "systemctl disable networkaudiod ; systemctl stop networkaudiod") or alternatively edit /etc/hostname on either one so that both are not called "hqplayer".

Input and output side NAAs work the same way, also in terms of device selection at HQPlayer side. Just the stream direction is opposite.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Where in the gateway you are choosing "USB Audio Class 2"?

On the 'Input' page on the NAA running HQP OS. 

Is that not correct?

8 hours ago, Miska said:

You cannot have same NAA do both input and output, at least currently. Then in HQPlayer you need to have correct input and output devices selected. 

Noted but can you help me with where the correct input and devices are.

It's no problem if I need another NAA, I have RPi4 I can use.

So I have:

- HQP OS 9900K playing only to networked backend

- UpBoard Gateway NAA - connected to Macbook via micro-B cable

- RPi4 NAA - connected to RME ADI-2 via USB cable

1. On HQP OS for network backend I choose RPi4 NAA ADI-2 DAC ? I don't choose any 'Input' here correct?

2. On RPi4 NAA ADI-2 DAC there's no need to do/choose anything, correct?

3. On UpBoard, I choose output as?  This is where I'm confused. Final step is to choose 'Input' as USB Class Audio 2 I assume.

On UpBoard Gateway NAA I choose 'Input' as 

8 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

On the 'Input' page on the NAA running HQP OS. 

Is that not correct?

That is HQPlayer? It should be disabled or left alone on default settings (null device).

NAA doesn't have any settings interface...

10 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

- HQP OS 9900K playing only to networked backend

- UpBoard Gateway NAA - connected to Macbook via micro-B cable

- RPi4 NAA - connected to RME ADI-2 via USB cable

This is fine as long as the two NAA's have a different host name.

11 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

1. On HQP OS for network backend I choose RPi4 NAA ADI-2 DAC ? I don't choose any 'Input' here correct?

Inputs are defined in <input> section of hqplayerd.xml

Note you have two backends, one for input side and another one for output side. One can be local (ALSA) or remote (NAA). Then as device selection you have hostname:device tuple.

(note, NAA just defaults to hostname if nothing else is defined, you could define something else as well)

13 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

2. On RPi4 NAA ADI-2 DAC there's no need to do/choose anything, correct?

At NAA side you generally shouldn't need to do anything, be it input or output.

14 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

3. On UpBoard, I choose output as?  This is where I'm confused. Final step is to choose 'Input' as USB Class Audio 2 I assume.

Inputs are exactly similary as outputs. So a backend + device. HQPlayer Embedded comes with couple of pre-defined inputs. But if you'd like to add/modify some, you need to edit hqplayerd.xml based on documentation in readme.txt. This is where Desktop is a bit simpler, but much less flexible. Difference is that Embedded is intended for a streamer firmware where device manufacturer exactly knows what kind of hardware the hqplayerd is running on. While Desktop is intended for regular desktop computers where things are totally different.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

That is HQPlayer? It should be disabled or left alone on default settings (null device).

No the NAA being UpBoard Gateway but I didn't have NAA image on it as I didn't know if that actually supported USB Class Audio input, so I put HQP OS on it and it works just as NAA without any license key.

13 hours ago, Miska said:

Inputs are exactly similary as outputs. So a backend + device. HQPlayer Embedded comes with couple of pre-defined inputs. But if you'd like to add/modify some, you need to edit hqplayerd.xml based on documentation in readme.txt. This is where Desktop is a bit simpler, but much less flexible. Difference is that Embedded is intended for a streamer firmware where device manufacturer exactly knows what kind of hardware the hqplayerd is running on. While Desktop is intended for regular desktop computers where things are totally different.

Ok noted. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I definitely don't want to have to modify hqplayerd.xml if I don't have to.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, Miska said:

Inputs are exactly similary as outputs. So a backend + device. HQPlayer Embedded comes with couple of pre-defined inputs. But if you'd like to add/modify some, you need to edit hqplayerd.xml based on documentation in readme.txt.

Hi @Miska

Not working. I made some changes to help avoid having same host names.

I've also been more specific/clear about what each device is running, to help troubleshoot.

Now I have:

- 9900K running Ubuntu Focal LTS running your latest custom kernel and hqplayerd_4.20.0-54_amd64.deb 

- UpBoard Gateway running naa-4112-x64.7z - connected to Macbook via micro-B cable

- microRendu running NAA 4.1.1 - connected to RME ADI-2 via USB cable

So now there's no chance of issues with two devices running HQP OS or two devices running NAA image.

On HQP Emebedded 'Config' page I see microRendu ADI-2 under network backend - this is good. That's what I want.

On HQP Embedded 'Input' page I select USB Audio Class 2.

But I don't see the soundcard coming on macBook.

Based on above setup, is there still editing of hqplayerd.xml required ? If so, to add/change what? 

I feel like I'm in better position without the clash of hostnames but still not there yet.

Any advice appreciated.

On 11/28/2020 at 7:58 AM, Miska said:

But if you'd like to add/modify some, you need to edit hqplayerd.xml based on documentation in readme.txt.

Also, I looked at readme.txt and see "sub-element 'input'" section

I'm just confused about if nothing is needed to be done on NAA (UpBoard), then how do I tell HQPlayer Embedded to tell NAA to take the 'USB Audio Class 2' input and output that to HQPlayer Embedded.

15 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

- UpBoard Gateway running naa-4112-x64.7z - connected to Macbook via micro-B cable

Either image should work... HQPlayer OS has a bit more frequent updates. Only thing to look at is to avoid conflicting hostnames that would mean you have more than one NAA with same name. Unless you explicitly define some other name through /etc/default/networkaudiod

On HQP Embedded 'Input' page I select USB Audio Class 2.

This is wrong, this is local one, but you are not having your 9900K connected to MacBook via USB.

Based on above setup, is there still editing of hqplayerd.xml required ? If so, to add/change what?

Yes, you need to add new input item that refers to your NAA and the USB audio behind it.

Here's example line from Desktop input configuration:

<input address="naa" channel_offset="0" device="USB Audio Class 2" format="auto" ipv6="0" pack_sdm="1" period_time="0" samplerate="0" short_buffer="0" type="network"/>

For hqplayerd case, you'd want to add "name" attribute there so you have something sensible listed under input listing. This is not relevant for Desktop because there you have only one input device. While Embedded allows you to define multiple.

"address" attribute is name of the NAA (each NAA responds with some kind of name in discovery). This is similar to for example printers in IPP/CUPS network printing protocol.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Either image should work... HQPlayer OS has a bit more frequent updates. Only thing to look at is to avoid conflicting hostnames that would mean you have more than one NAA with same name. Unless you explicitly define some other name through /etc/default/networkaudiod

This is wrong, this is local one, but you are not having your 9900K connected to MacBook via USB.

Yes, you need to add new input item that refers to your NAA and the USB audio behind it.

Here's example line from Desktop input configuration:

<input address="naa" channel_offset="0" device="USB Audio Class 2" format="auto" ipv6="0" pack_sdm="1" period_time="0" samplerate="0" short_buffer="0" type="network"/>

For hqplayerd case, you'd want to add "name" attribute there so you have something sensible listed under input listing. This is not relevant for Desktop because there you have only one input device. While Embedded allows you to define multiple.

"address" attribute is name of the NAA (each NAA responds with some kind of name in discovery). This is similar to for example printers in IPP/CUPS network printing protocol.

Thanks!!

Are you working on supporting USB-C input also?

To expand list of supported devices that can support USB Audio Class 2 input?

Are you working on supporting USB-C input also?

Type of physical interface is not relevant from my point of view.

To expand list of supported devices that can support USB Audio Class 2 input?

That depends on the actual hardware... There are bunch of embedded SoMs that can do it.

32 minutes ago, Miska said:

Type of physical interface is not relevant from my point of view.

That depends on the actual hardware... There are bunch of embedded SoMs that can do it.

Noted.

But a general motherboard with USB-C port running your custom kernel (like my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4) unlikely to get HQPE input support?

More difficult to support big motherboards?

3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

But a general motherboard with USB-C port running your custom kernel (like my ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4) unlikely to get HQPE input support?

Yes, because they generally lack device side USB hardware support.

3 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

More difficult to support big motherboards?

They just miss the needed hardware...

Hey folks, I am finally trying to get going with HQPe.  My Bricasti M3 DAC sounds fantastic via its discrete DSD converter, just via Roon oversampling to DSD 256, but I have auditioned HQP a couple of times previously, and know that DSD 256 with ASDMEC7 is heavenly.  Given the reduction in price of the i9-9900K I had a simple server built using it, with 16 Gb of RAM (2400 MHz, CL17) and a active fan radiator on the processor.  My research indicated this set up should run Roon + HQPe, with ASDM7EC and the poly-sinc ext2 filter to DSD 256.

I have success with the ASDMEC5, but with ASDMEC7 I get dropouts every few seconds.  Settings below, am I missing something?  I do not think i should need a CUDA offload for poly-sinc ext2?

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.06.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.06.54 AM.png

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio