IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

1 minute ago, ASRMichael said:

Try setting buffer to 100ms. 

I'll give it a go.  Note that I am using NAA if that makes a difference.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Changing the buffer from "0" to "100" made no difference, still dropouts every few seconds with ASDMEC7 poly-sinc ext2 to DSD 256.

This is maddening here.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, barrows said:

Changing the buffer from "0" to "100" made no difference, still dropouts every few seconds with ASDMEC7 poly-sinc ext2 to DSD 256.

Which Linux distribution and HQPlayer build are you using? Do you get the same also with simpler ASDM7 modulator?

If you get the same also with ASDM7 then it is a network problem. Any smart switches in the network? If yes, then please check that you have 802.3x Flow Control enabled. Without functional 802.3x you'll get what you describe with Rendu on a gigabit network because it is not able to handle sustained 1 Gbps transfers without packet loss (it can do max 400 Mbps and that only with functional 802.3x).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Which Linux distribution and HQPlayer build are you using? Do you get the same also with simpler ASDM7 modulator?

If you get the same also with ASDM7 then it is a network problem. Any smart switches in the network? If yes, then please check that you have 802.3x Flow Control enabled. Without functional 802.3x you'll get what you describe with Rendu on a gigabit network because it is not able to handle sustained 1 Gbps transfers without packet loss (it can do max 400 Mbps and that only with functional 802.3x).

ASDM7 and poly-sinc ext2 to DSD 256 with any base rate works perfectly, ASDMEC5 and poly-sinc ext2 works perfectly, only ASDMEC7 has dropouts.  OS is Andrew's (Small Green Computer) linux variant.  HQPe is latest version.

I will check my switch for flow control right now.  Looks like flow control was disabled, I will now test with it enabled, fingers crossed!  Thanks Jussi!

SONORE computer audio

8 hours ago, Miska said:

As DSD 256 works perfectly well with ASDM7 or ASDMEC5, I do not see how anything on the Network could be affecting performance with a different modulator, right?  I suspect the problem is something with the server and not Network related as DSD 256 plays perfectly (and 512 as well) with lower load modulators.  Am I right to conclude that the server must be the issue given this situation?

Enabling flow control in the switch made no difference to the results.

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, barrows said:

As DSD 256 works perfectly well with ASDM7 or ASDMEC5, I do not see how anything on the Network could be affecting performance with a different modulator, right?  I suspect the problem is something with the server and not Network related as DSD 256 plays perfectly (and 512 as well) with lower load modulators.  Am I right to conclude that the server must be the issue given this situation?

Enabling flow control in the switch made no difference to the results.

Yes, that's right. Then it is something at the server side.

5 hours ago, barrows said:

ASDM7 and poly-sinc ext2 to DSD 256 with any base rate works perfectly, ASDMEC5 and poly-sinc ext2 works perfectly, only ASDMEC7 has dropouts.  OS is Andrew's (Small Green Computer) linux variant.  HQPe is latest version.

For comparison, you could try Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS "Focal Fossa" with my custom kernel and the Focal build of HQPlayer Embedded.

I was using an ir wav file to deal with eq but for some reason I think new new eq process option in matrix sounds better.  I also sometimes like a little reverb added, especially to dry studio albums, when using headphones.  I had the reverb built into the ir wav files with eq.  Is it possible to create simple reverb somehow with the speaker configuration and distance or should I enable convolution with a reverb ir file along with enabling matrix or can the reverb file be added to the matrix along with the iir process?

Hi @Miska

I've got UpBoard NAA image connected to Focusrite 18i20 for convolution to 6 channels with DIY DSP speakers.

With Roon it was easy to get going because I just have a zip file and Roon magically works it out and it works perfectly.

I'm trying to get the 6 mono wav files Audiolense created into  Matrix of HQPe.

But I'm struggling.

Firstly, can NAA actually see all 8 channels of the Focusrite in Linux?

Roon obviously can , from when I tested with microRendu connected to the Focusrite.

Do I need to output 5.1 channels from Roon to HQP or leave it as 2.0 channel settings for HQPe Roon 'zone'?

image.thumb.png.ff0c1f86f0a7ca0c08bc27b86e3113fd.png

image.thumb.png.7f77db4cac21e3ddc5569074baa5e91a.png

image.png.e1475a2723df5823951042b471c56274.png

8 hours ago, audiofool said:

I was using an ir wav file to deal with eq but for some reason I think new new eq process option in matrix sounds better.  I also sometimes like a little reverb added, especially to dry studio albums, when using headphones.  I had the reverb built into the ir wav files with eq.  Is it possible to create simple reverb somehow with the speaker configuration and distance or should I enable convolution with a reverb ir file along with enabling matrix or can the reverb file be added to the matrix along with the iir process?

You can have both just reverb IR and EQ. Or you can use combined reverb + correction IR.

There is no reverb plugin at the moment. Simple reverb would be fairly easy to implement, but I'm not sure if there would be enough users to warrant spending time on creating such. More complex reverbs can be for example created from real acoustics using measurements, and the IRs of such are much more complex than from a simple reverb (cathedral acoustics as an example).

Hi @Miska I'm loading and saving different room correction profiles under matrix.

But delete  isn't really working so I have no idea if loading of correct filter is working.

It ends up just keeping the same profile it seems.

Is it possible to have another column that actually has the filename of the uploaded filter? To better be able to see what filters are in use?

Like in the attached during the process just before uploading, we see the filename. And that would be good to see even after uploading.

Plus a way to quickly verify the correct profiles are loaded.

image.thumb.png.88615ae4897127d9c7cff5b06a60d0c3.png

15 hours ago, Miska said:

You can have both just reverb IR and EQ. Or you can use combined reverb + correction IR.

There is no reverb plugin at the moment. Simple reverb would be fairly easy to implement, but I'm not sure if there would be enough users to warrant spending time on creating such. More complex reverbs can be for example created from real acoustics using measurements, and the IRs of such are much more complex than from a simple reverb (cathedral acoustics as an example).

I added "myreverb.wav,iir:...." to the matrix process and it seems to work well.  I use sox to create the ir reverb file but I suspect your version would be superior.  I use David Griesinger's method to eq my headphones, I prefer it without crossfeed but sometimes dry studio recordings seem to need a little reverb.  I vote for a reverb process similar to the crossfeed feature.  Here are the links to David's eq info.

http://www.davidgriesinger.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VaKZr208Dc     

Also, is it possible to put the iir process parameters in a referenced file to avoid repeating long eq throughout the xml file?

Thanks Miska

13 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Like in the attached during the process just before uploading, we see the filename. And that would be good to see even after uploading.

Problem keeping file names is that the path information is lost on the upload. On the computer you are uploading files from, you could have:

folder1/file1.wav

folder2/file1.wav

Now the "folder1" / "folder2" part is gone. It also makes managing files very messy.

13 hours ago, asdf1000 said:

Plus a way to quickly verify the correct profiles are loaded.

By they way, you can switch profiles faster from Client... ;)

Hi @Miska

I have 3 NAA's  playing 6 channels x PCM192kHz for room EQ. Only playing one at a time of course, not all at same time.

All running your NAA bootable image: UpBoard, microRendu , RPi4 

The UpBoard is the only one where i don't hear like little networking or CPU pops during playback. The other 2 i do.

Very constant pops, like 2 pops a second.

Is this something you would expect? Or something unusual with these particular NAA's ?

Multichannel DAC is Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen3.

But all 3 NAA's running same naa image.

Hi Jussi, just yesterday installed HQPe on Focal, I installed your kernel with no issues (BTW I wondered what jl was on the kernel package and of course is Jussi Laako). I got a few dependencies errors on HQPe installing, still the interface is up and running but I don't know if I should be concerned.

I did of course apt update and apt install -f before and also

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins

root@audioserver:/home# sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.20.0-54_amd64.deb
Unpacking hqplayerd (4.20.0-54) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hqplayerd:
 hqplayerd depends on libgupnp-av-1.0-2 (>= 0.6.0); however:
  Package libgupnp-av-1.0-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-core-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-core-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-renderer-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-renderer-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libwavpack1; however:
  Package libwavpack1 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libgee-0.8-2; however:
  Package libgee-0.8-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on rygel; however:
  Package rygel is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on zip; however:
  Package zip is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on unzip; however:
  Package unzip is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package hqplayerd (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hqplayerd

On 12/4/2020 at 5:06 AM, asdf1000 said:

The UpBoard is the only one where i don't hear like little networking or CPU pops during playback. The other 2 i do.

Very constant pops, like 2 pops a second.

Is this something you would expect? Or something unusual with these particular NAA's ?

I think RPi4 should probably work fine too. But those small ARM based devices can get overwhelmed by lot of network traffic, so 802.3x needs to be functional. Really small pops like dust particles on vinyl are usually lost USB packets to the DAC, which are 125 µs long.

For more demanding cases, UpBoard and such are better since they are able to better sustain gigabit speed traffic.

20 hours ago, luisma said:

Hi Jussi, just yesterday installed HQPe on Focal, I installed your kernel with no issues (BTW I wondered what jl was on the kernel package and of course is Jussi Laako). I got a few dependencies errors on HQPe installing, still the interface is up and running but I don't know if I should be concerned.

I did of course apt update and apt install -f before and also

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install libflac8 libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins

root@audioserver:/home# sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_4.20.0-54_amd64.deb
Unpacking hqplayerd (4.20.0-54) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of hqplayerd:
 hqplayerd depends on libgupnp-av-1.0-2 (>= 0.6.0); however:
  Package libgupnp-av-1.0-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-core-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-core-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on librygel-renderer-2.6-2 (>= 0.38.3); however:
  Package librygel-renderer-2.6-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libwavpack1; however:
  Package libwavpack1 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on libgee-0.8-2; however:
  Package libgee-0.8-2 is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on rygel; however:
  Package rygel is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on zip; however:
  Package zip is not installed.
 hqplayerd depends on unzip; however:
  Package unzip is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package hqplayerd (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 hqplayerd

You need to first install libgmpris (from the same server where the kernel is), and then hqplayerd. And after this you run "sudo apt install -f" which will pull in those missing dependencies it is complaining about. I'd say it is better to do it this way than install manually since the dependency lists are being updated over time. And by manually installing the OS marks those as such. While pulling in through dependencies they hang on the system only as long as there's a dependency pulling them in. alsa-utils being only exception since it is not strictly needed / depended, but just recommended to have.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I think RPi4 should probably work fine too. But those small ARM based devices can get overwhelmed by lot of network traffic, so 802.3x needs to be functional. Really small pops like dust particles on vinyl are usually lost USB packets to the DAC, which are 125 µs long.

For more demanding cases, UpBoard and such are better since they are able to better sustain gigabit speed traffic.

Thanks ! But even doing output at 6 x 96kHz I get pops with this interface, which Focusrite say is USB Class Audio 2 compliant.

And that's less network bandwidth than PCM768kHz using same RPi4 which has no issues of course

I also tried 250ms network buffer to the RPi4 NAA last night but it results in more pops strangely