IGNORED

WireWorld Starlight CAT 8 cable review

In other words, you have no clue how to devise a set of measurements that can confirm what listeners are reporting.

It's as if you think that finding that two pieces of fruit weigh exactly the same confirms that they will taste exactly the same.

or if plissken doesn't like mangoes it means nobody will like mangoes

In other words, you have no clue how to devise a set of measurements that can confirm what listeners are reporting.

It's as if you think that finding that two pieces of fruit weigh exactly the same confirms that they will taste exactly the same.

I'm not devising anything to confirm what so ever. My hypothesis is that two ~ equal measure Ethernet cables aren't going to have a measurable difference instrumentation wise. I'm curious what what Rightmark will reveal. I'm also interested in capturing a song or three where part of the song plays with one cable and I swap out the cable during playback and seeing who here can tell me with in the +/- of the buffer size I setup in JRiver when the cable swap happened.

I'm most likely going to compare 3 meter expensive to ~30 meter off the spool and terminated by me CAT5e.

Now if all that lines up with my hypothesis then it is what it is. It's starting to sound like the cable proponents are getting a bit nervous.

You do what ever you want to with assorted fruit. Including trying to make an analogy with them.

My hypothesis is that two ~ equal measure Ethernet cables aren't going to have a measurable difference instrumentation wise.

Well you certainly have done a good job of devising a test that will prove your hypothesis correct.

Now if all that lines up with my hypothesis then it is what it is. It's starting to sound like the cable proponents are getting a bit nervous.

No it's more like we're stunned to see someone so blissfully unaware of how powerful a grip their bias has on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I'm not devising anything to confirm what so ever. My hypothesis is that two ~ equal measure Ethernet cables aren't going to have a measurable difference instrumentation wise. I'm curious what what Rightmark will reveal. I'm also interested in capturing a song or three where part of the song plays with one cable and I swap out the cable during playback and seeing who here can tell me with in the +/- of the buffer size I setup in JRiver when the cable swap happened.

I'm most likely going to compare 3 meter expensive to ~30 meter off the spool and terminated by me CAT5e.

You do what ever you want to with assorted fruit. Including trying to make an analogy with them.

I think you have gone "bananas" over ethernet cables. I recommend just enjoying the "fruit" of the equipment you own now and leave the audiophile cables to connoisseurs who know the difference between cable champagne and "sour grapes" (unless you already ordered the voodoo cables)

I'll put money on my bias vs yours.

An objective person would invite feedback on how they could make their tests more objective. A person who cares not about objectivity simply deflects, dodges and dissembles.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

An objective person would invite feedback on how they could make their tests more objective. A person who cares not about objectivity simply deflects, dodges and dissembles.

And I have asked for just such that, in multiple posts, in this very thread. The protocol has to be public/transparent. It has to invite critical feedback that is addressing short comings.

It's welcome.

And I have asked for just such that, in multiple posts, in this very thread. The protocol has to be public/transparent. It has to invite critical feedback that is addressing short comings.

It's welcome.

It's not welcome, you kicked me out of your thread in post 62 after I was polite in post 61.

No worries, just don't get flustered about cables. Use the zip cord or whatever and just enjoy whatever SQ you happen to get.

It's not welcome, you kicked me out of your thread in post 62 after I was polite in post 61.

No worries, just don't get flustered about cables. Use the zip cord or whatever and just enjoy whatever SQ you happen to get.

I think part of the issue is your being selective about events. I simply asked:

"Since this is my thread I'll ask you to either find technical counter arguments and back them up or exit the thread. "

I'm not interested in your subjective observations. I'm interested in feedback that takes into consideration what I'm proposing and poking holes in it as a way to improve.

Since none is currently forthcoming could you please step out of the thread or provide some considered thought as to why my taking and doing some A to D is a problem? Studios that produce music perform A to D every day, all day long:

The kid on the drums is just gonzo. Check it out @ 4:30.

I think part of the issue is your being selective about events. I simply asked:

"Since this is my thread I'll ask you to either find technical counter arguments and back them up or exit the thread. "

I'm not interested in your subjective observations. I'm interested in feedback that takes into consideration what I'm proposing and poking holes in it as a way to improve.

Since none is currently forthcoming could you please step out of the thread or provide some considered thought as to why my taking and doing some A to D is a problem? Studios that produce music perform A to D every day, all day long:

The kid on the drums is just gonzo. Check it out @ 4:30.

Great clip, kids do metal, gives me hope for future musicians

Is that it? This is the result of your test?

Did I say it was? I just finished wrestling 316 feet of UTP CAT5e into some semblance of manageability and did a few quick tests. Also both cables maintained equal data transmission rates.

This will take me a bit of time to put together. Interesting that the response time and throughput metrics are neck and neck so far.

The client machine is a ASRock QC5000 ITX mainboard with 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD. It's a $59 mainboard. The NIC is the previously mentioned HP Dual GB PCIe server adapter that I picked up for $18 shipped from Amazon.

Did I say it was? I just finished wrestling 316 feet of UTP CAT5e into some semblance of manageability and did a few quick tests. Also both cables maintained equal data transmission rates.

This will take me a bit of time to put together. Interesting that the response time and throughput metrics are neck and neck so far.

The client machine is a ASRock QC5000 ITX mainboard with 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD. It's a $59 mainboard. The NIC is the previously mentioned HP Dual GB PCIe server adapter that I picked up for $18 shipped from Amazon.

Have fun! I really want a cable like that for my new Sony UHPH1. I plan on doing more steaming than playing actual discs. I am always pleasantly surprised when a cable elevates a midfi priced component to high end (and higher priced) one without having to upgrade. I think my Marantz 7702 would absolutely CRUSH its big brother the 8802 which costs double. All I did was add a nice power cord :).

I know you like to measure so that id $4000- ($2000 + $120)= a saving of $1880 and better SQ to boot!

Have fun! I really want a cable like that for my new Sony UHPH1. I plan on doing more steaming than playing actual discs. I am always pleasantly surprised when a cable elevates a midfi priced component to high end (and higher priced) one without having to upgrade. I think my Marantz 7702 would absolutely CRUSH its big brother the 8802 which costs double. All I did was add a nice power cord :).

I know you like to measure so that id $4000- ($2000 + $120)= a saving of $1880 and better SQ to boot!

I know you just typed a lot. But I don't know what you are saying.

A good test with results that confirm your stance on the robustness of Ethernet.

What we should try to work out next is how the having actual cable connected affects the PC/Music Server's electronic circuitry (EMI, RFI, GND, loops, leakage, noise, other?), as that is IMHO going to be the why SQ is affected when people hear sonic differences with Ethernet cables.

Ping results

315 foot of off the spool, hand terminate $0.30/ft

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32860[/ATTACH]

12 foot WW at $27/ft

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32861[/ATTACH]

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

What we should try to work out next is how the having actual cable connected affects the PC/Music Server's electronic circuitry (EMI, RFI, GND, loops, leakage, noise, other?), as that is IMHO going to be the why SQ is affected when people hear sonic differences with Ethernet cables.

This is exactly it.

However, people with a little knowledge see everything digital as bits and are satisfied with bitperfection.

The domain, however, is largely an Electrical problem.

It is a waste of time to try and convince the 'bits are bits' people. Some of them can't overcome the cognitive dissonance they would inevitably undergo if they did really simple tests.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

If 'they' think about it, it's actually a very different debate.

I accept the 'bit are bits' point of view and the robustness of Ethernet, but those bits have to travel over connections and it's those connections that are IMHO & IME the predominant SQ influencer.

It's not so much the travelling bits (if they arrive bit prefect) but the fact that two or more devices are being electrically coupled and thus influence each other and in addition extend the system-wide electrical / gnd network.

I expect someone clever on here will be able to show a graph of an Ethernet cable connected vs unplugged with some measurable noise, interference or other variation between the two?

I would very much like to see that as it would help us (all) better understand the problem and how to negate it.

;-)

This is exactly it.

However, people with a little knowledge see everything digital as bits and are satisfied with bitperfection.

The domain, however, is largely an Electrical problem.

It is a waste of time to try and convince the 'bits are bits' people. Some of them can't overcome the cognitive dissonance they would inevitably undergo if they did really simple tests.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I like having data but look how difficult this is. You got one guy acting as a quasi scientist and a bunch of other guys kibbitzing. Do you realize these cables generally come with a 30 day return policy and you just plug it in, listen, and see if you like it?

Plissken, that unsighted subjective listening test requires little effort and two ears and a brain are excellent scientific instruments.

Plissken the problem you have is you conducted your test AFTER stating your prejudice. This is an attempt to prove you are right rather than an actual quest for truth. I can't imagine (ever) you publishing anything that contradicts your deep seated fears (however logical) about digital cables. However there is still a possibility you may find a way so I am not ready to give up on this thread yet. If you still want to do a recording try posting an A/B comaprison video to yourtube.