IGNORED

WireWorld Starlight CAT 8 cable review

Probably because I moved away from the mic. I was recording on a third computer with a USB mic and a webcam with screencast-o-matic.

There shouldn't be that kind of disconnect and I think you are overthinking things that aren't there.

Duh.. you moved away from the mic and I heard it, what part of that requires thinking??

Alright Ladies and Gents. I have one file ready. The playback starts with the 315 foot cable and I make a swap at 10 seconds to the WireWorld Starlight CAT8.

After that good guessing as to when and how many times.

I think this effectively puts a nail in the coffin of Steven Plaskin's review and others like Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko.

I don't think there is a chance in hell anyone is going to be able to tell the difference between $27.50 / foot and $0.30 foot.

Every advantage has been given the Starlight that I can. Primarily a cable that is 2600% longer and terminations that are 3300% less expensive, and cabling that is 1000% cheaper.

The Setup:

Client / DAC:

Computer consisting of ASRock QC 5000ITX mainboard, 8GB RAM (2 sticks), 240GB SSD, Intel CT PCIe NIC. Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

Server / ADC machine:

Asus e350 mainboard, 8GB RAM, 96GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional, ADC EMU 1212M, integrated GB NIC.

Switch: Cisco SG200-8

Alright Ladies and Gents. I have one file ready. The playback starts with the 315 foot cable and I make a swap at 10 seconds to the WireWorld Starlight CAT8.

I think this effectively puts a nail in the coffin of Steven Plaskin's review and others like Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko.

I don't think there is a chance in hell anyone is going to be able to tell the difference between $27.50 / foot and $0.30 foot.

Every advantage has been given the Starlight that I can. Primarily a cable that is 2600% longer and terminations that are 3300% less expensive, and cabling that is 1000% cheaper.

The Setup:

Client / DAC:

Computer consisting of ASRock QC 5000ITX mainboard, 8GB RAM (2 sticks), 240GB SSD, Intel CT PCIe NIC. Windows 8.1 Enterprise, Emotiva Stealth DC-1.

Server / ADC machine:

Asus e350 mainboard, 8GB RAM, 96GB SSD, Windows 7 Professional, ADC EMU 1212M, integrated GB NIC.

I think you made cable swaps at :25 :42 :57 and 1:15

The way the guitar would pause and start made it difficult to be more precise

The Setup:

Client / DAC:

Server / ADC machine:

BTW, you can't audition components via recordings. Would you buy a pair of speakers based on a recording of them? If it worked everyone would market speakers via MP3 files. I still applaud your efforts though, great job taking one for the team.

BTW, you can't audition components via recordings. Would you buy a pair of speakers based on a recording of them? If it worked everyone would market speakers via MP3 files. I still applaud your efforts though, great job taking one for the team.

We aren't evaluating speakers. We are evaluating the claims made about how Ethernet cabling can affect 'mixed signaling systems' and the 'readily apparent', 'easily discernible' differences that the likes of Plaskin, Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko have made.

The signal has made it through the 'mixed signal' system. Either people can 'readily, apparently, discernibly,' hear this difference or not.

Remember we are comparing 315 foot of generic 5e vs 12 foot of CAT8. The Switch and NIC are most likely nearing electrical limits.

A network cable part of the physical layer of the OSI model. Wouldn't the other 6 six layers of the OSI model come in to play as the signal passed up to the application layer? I would think the network adaptor would be the key to any SQ. gains as it packages and presents the raws bits. As I understand it there are buffers at both ends and cable is merely the medium that connects the buffers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

We aren't evaluating speakers. We are evaluating the claims made about how Ethernet cabling can affect 'mixed signaling systems' and the 'readily apparent', 'easily discernible' differences that the likes of Plaskin, Lavorgna, Van Es, Darko have made.

The signal has made it through the 'mixed signal' system. Either people can 'readily, apparently, discernibly,' hear this difference or not.

Remember we are comparing 315 foot of generic 5e vs 12 foot of CAT8. The Switch and NIC are most likely nearing electrical limits.

Speak for yourself, I am having fun. Thanks for starting this thread

It's like beholding someone who thinks they've proven the earth flat because the wooden ruler they've placed on the ground lays there perfectly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

It's like beholding someone who thinks they've proven the earth flat because the wooden ruler they've placed on the ground lays there perfectly flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Feel free to poke holes in the methodology. You may want to start off by asking why is it the analog output of the DAC can be affected by an Ethernet cable and you can hear it over speakers but it can't be captured with the same hardware that is used the master the very music you listen to?

Trust me when I tell you this: All the logic has been figured out on this.

I mean we are talking about cheap ass, bulk, off the reel, CAT5e, that I ran 315 foot of left in a disheveled pile on the floor. I mean SOMETHING should be audible. Right?

A network cable part of the physical layer of the OSI model. Wouldn't the other 6 six layers of the OSI model come in to play as the signal passed up to the application layer? I would think the network adaptor would be the key to any SQ. gains as it packages and presents the raws bits. As I understand it there are buffers at both ends and cable is merely the medium that connects the buffers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Oh contrare.

Remember the howl at the moon crowd will march out:

'Everything Matters' and 'Mixed Signal Systems' and 'Bits aren't Bits'.

You are correct these are buffered systems with no actual clocking on the signal. And it's multiple buffers. Be careful because when they lack anything of merit to say they'll just call you a Luddite in the form of a flat earther (with out realizing they are the flat earth Luddite).

The real issue is all the believers are scared shitless to sit for a blind evaluation.

Oh contrare.

Remember the howl at the moon crowd will march out:

'Everything Matters' and 'Mixed Signal Systems' and 'Bits aren't Bits'.

You are correct these are buffered systems with no actual clocking on the signal. And it's multiple buffers. Be careful because when they lack anything of merit to say they'll just call you a Luddite in the form of a flat earther (with out realizing they are the flat earth Luddite).

The real issue is all the believers are scared shitless to sit for a blind evaluation.

Plissken, you have done the team a great service by ordering the cables, taking time to test an dpost. Please don't step down into the gutter with a post like this and ruin not only a great thread but your brand. I prefer the souls searching for truth brand than the cantankerous nutty professor with a potty mouth brand... just saying :)

Plissken, you have done the team a great service by ordering the cables, taking time to test an dpost. Please don't step down into the gutter with a post like this and ruin not only a great thread but your brand. I prefer the souls searching for truth brand than the cantankerous nutty professor with a potty mouth brand... just saying :)

You can't simply accuse the method of being a flat earth tool and not get push back on it. The setup records what it records. Whether it be locally stored, wireless, wired with expensive or inexpensive but competent cabling.

The claims made about boutique Ethernet are very macro. There is nothing in the track I captured while swapping out interconnects that is macro.

I've listed the setup. People can either poke holes in my reasoning on this or the can simply stay mum, or if they persist on ad-hominem, they can exit the thread. The fact that I haven't heard them say when any changes in cabling was made speaks volumes.

I listened to the track. If anything happens at 0:10, it is a slight bump in gain, or the effect I would usually attribute to slight gain differences. MAYBE there is something going on with fluctuating volume in the track, but if so the differences are so slight I would never put my name on it.

You can't simply accuse the method of being a flat earth tool and not get push back on it. The setup records what it records. Whether it be locally stored, wireless, wired with expensive or inexpensive but competent cabling.

The claims made about boutique Ethernet are very macro. There is nothing in the track I captured while swapping out interconnects that is macro.

I've listed the setup. People can either poke holes in my reasoning on this or the can simply stay mum, or if they persist on ad-hominem, they can exit the thread. The fact that I haven't heard them say when any changes in cabling was made speaks volumes.

I think someone poked holes in your reasoning as you stated. The fact I posted my changes speaks volumes? I don't think so, the earth is not flat, even though I had fun with your ruler.

I think someone poked holes in your reasoning as you stated. The fact I posted my changes speaks volumes? I don't think so, the earth is not flat, even though I had fun with your ruler.

You mean the times you posted?

After the initial swap: I changed at 25 / 37 / 51 / 1:07 / 1:30

Uhmmm. You were incorrect 80% of the time and you didn't get the correct amount of changes.

Yours: 25 / 42 / 57 / 1:15

Actual: 25 / 37 / 51 / 1:07 / 1:30

I noticed each change except the last one within 5-10 seconds first listen on a track that I was not familiar with. I would say I was 80% right. :)

And I appreciate you taking the time to do all this...great job!

Why couldn't you tell the difference on your own system?

Was it your hearing or your bias?

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.71CUGmr_0eZOyeHPCYzgIgEsEs%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

"I don't often listen to ethernet cables, but when I do I like to ask the witchdoctor for advice..."

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.r3Qg-2nkSwlPqS3h5N_UQQCfEs%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

The witchdoctor knows ethernet cables :)

Okay, another tough one.

First listen, I couldn't tell that anything happened at 0:10.

At 3:51, I think I noticed a flattening / compression of the FR -- only because of the long "heart" vocal contrasted the change. For all I know that might just be the studio engineer mixing down the section as it is towards the tail end of it.

Going back to 0:10, the same flattening might there be too.