IGNORED

WireWorld Starlight CAT 8 cable review

Or you could have a group of people that will rebuff any hard evidence to the contrary. I'll look at peoples audible evaluation as soon as they control for bias.

That's the difference here.

Do your own tests, pal.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Now that we are talking systems "my system is bigger than your system" 14.1 auro 3d immersive audio baby

Connected with Virtual Dynamcis power cables and mapleshade interconnects (all active speakers, speaker cables not needed) Every speaker is internally biamped with 125 watts driving the bass and midrange and 50w driving the tweeter. Plus the sub has an internal amp with 1400 watts!

Witchdoctor must have POWER

WP_20160819_001.jpg

must have wide channels

WP_20160819_004.jpg

if you haven't heard the "voice of god" life is passing you by (the white speaker above the sofa)

WP_20160819_007.jpg

WP_20160819_008.jpg

My cables are bigger too, witchdoctor MUST HAVE POWER!! Every component in my rack gets one of these along with my L-R-C channels (active speakers need power too)

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.canuckaudiomart.com%2Fuploads%2Flarge%2F101878-virtual_dynamics_nite_r_power_cord.jpg&f=1WP_20160819_003.jpg

Monster HTPS 7000 power conditioner monitors the voltage. The meter on the front displays what is coming from the wall (which is often not 120) and rebalances so my system gets a steady 120V. In addition applies all types of filters, some specifically for amps, some for digital components, some for video and some for analog.

See my profile. I list it so that my reported observations can be taken in proper context. Also I feel it's important to provide context into my approach to system building.

You don't list your system in your profile, so I assume you have a reason to not want readers to glean context from your system and your system building approach.

Ok. I have the the Statements from Speaker Design Works. Now for the coincidental part. I've had my Statements head to head with a pair of the Aerial Acoustics 9t driven with a Lexicon pre and amp. Both the their owner and I agreed my Statements bested them. This was approximately $15,000 setup he had.

The song is "It Is Well With My Soul" sung by Audrey Assad. The reason I didn't offer it before is because it's not about that particular song. It's about a change to my system that came about as a result of a swap of Ethernet cables. There were other songs we listened to that day when doing comparisons. The smearing/flattening was evident on all of them.

And if I post that song as A/D through my system, and it maintains fidelity, with either 315 foot of bog standard, hand terminated by me, vs $330 12 foot cable. What does that inform you about?

That you don't get this suggests that you most likely haven't been trying to improve the resolving capabilities of your own system. You would know that sometimes you don't always like what you hear when you can hear things more clearly. It can be like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

You are welcome to any interpretation of things with out any factual basis. Seems to be modus operandi.

You do understand that "smear" is a relative term?

I understand that it's a phenomenon that you are intimately familiar with and I look forward to providing it as two outputs of the DAC derived as a function of two Ethernet cables.

And if I post that song as A/D through my system, and it maintains fidelity, with either 315 foot of bog standard, hand terminated by me, vs $330 12 foot cable. What does that inform you about?

It would covey no scientifically meaningful results as you've introduced too many variables.

See #2 here:

http://m.wikihow.com/Conduct-a-Science-Experiment

If you're going to play the science card then you should be held to that standard. Just saying that you have a transparent A/D doesn't cut it. You need to prove that your test suit is sufficiently resolving to detect the differences listeners have reported. You must also control the test conditions. Offering files to others to listen to as part of the test is about as unscientific as one can get.

Now if you were to acknowledge that what you are doing has no scientific merit, then this could be both fun and interesting. But as far as your approach being scientific - not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

This thread reminds me of the debate about glass vs plastic toslink 15 years ago...one side swore by glass toslink cables sounding better than plastic ones, and the other side said that was fantasy because it was just 1s and 0s. I was on the 1s and 0s side, but did find it curious how so many people swore otherwise.

As it turned out, I was just ignorant of the technicalities involved.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

It would covey no scientifically meaningful results as you've introduced too many variables.See #2 here:

How to Conduct a Science Experiment: 13 Steps (with Pictures)

If you're going to play the science card then you should be held to that standard. Just saying that you have a transparent A/D doesn't cut it. You need to prove that your test suit is sufficiently resolving to detect the differences listeners have reported. You must also control the test conditions. Offering files to others to listen to as part of the test is about as unscientific as one can get.

Now if you were to acknowledge that what you are doing has no scientific merit, then this could be both fun and interesting. But as far as your approach being scientific - not even close.ent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

I am happy with entertainment instead of science, at least he posted a picture of the cable.

Go for it plissken, at least you invested in a cable.

More pics please, let's see the test equipment and speakers.

It would covey no scientifically meaningful results as you've introduced too many variables.

See #2 here:

How to Conduct a Science Experiment: 13 Steps (with Pictures)

What would be the 'too many variables'? I'm basing the in part on the claims you and others have made.

If you're going to play the science card then you should be held to that standard. Just saying that you have a transparent A/D doesn't cut it. You need to prove that your test suit is sufficiently resolving to detect the differences listeners have reported.

All I have to prove is the A/D is accurate. How about you hold me to the standard subjective listening?

What exactly, in real terms, is of issue with me capturing the output from my DAC into an ADC? Please be specific. Innuendo and lack of technical chops from you are always very thin.

I don't see my approach incongruous with the wiki you linked to. I'm going to capture from both cables and either null a 1khz tone, or capture two tracks of the same audio file and compare. The data will speak for itself. You are totally welcome to reproduce and come up with your own results. We just both need to document clearly.

They don't - witness the never-ending fall-back on BER, and "if bits were missing you'd hear clicks or pops."

No need to preach to the already converted. Read the "Beyond Bitperfect" thread or at least the first post.

I've yet to make any statement about BER. I'm looking at the output of the DAC and the only variable is the cable. Everything else being the control and the chips will fall where they may.

Good job ;-)

I already did this for USB in my system in a rudimentary fashion. Will get to Ethernet when I get to it.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

... It is a waste of time to try and convince the "ethernet cables make a difference" people. Some of them can't overcome the cognitive dissonance they would inevitably undergo if they did really simple tests.

Fixed it for you... :-) but seriously, I hope you see the point.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

all i have to prove is the a/d is accurate. How about you hold me to the standard subjective listening?

What exactly, in real terms, is of issue with me capturing the output from my dac into an adc? Please be specific. Innuendo and lack of technical chops from you are always very thin.

I don't see my approach incongruous with the wiki you linked to. I'm going to capture from both cables and either null a 1khz tone, or capture two tracks of the same audio file and compare. The data will speak for itself. You are totally welcome to reproduce and come up with your own results. We just both need to document clearly.

pics!!! You posted one of the cable, let's see your testing gear, system and speakers.

All I have to prove is the A/D is accurate.

I'm stepping away as there's obviously nothing more I can add. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Fixed it for you... :-) but seriously, I hope you see the point.

You should fix your clean power, ground loop issues and Leakage Currents if you have some instead.

You're mistaken in thinking you have fixed anything here.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Good job ;-)

Thanks. More precise measurements are hard to pull off though: would ideally require me to clone two of my DIY gear: the custom USB connector and the Linear Regulated Power Supply, and perhaps even build some additional converters.

Lolol!

you should fix your clean power, ground loop issues and leakage currents if you have some instead.

You're mistaken in thinking you have fixed anything here.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Lolol!

He missed the point. It's simply that his comment applies equally to both sides of the subjective / objective argument. You see it written his way in the cable threads, and with my change in the science threads. And it has equal validity in both cases.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Yes agreed but the manner in which you re-quoted him made it very easy to miss that point and in doing so, his response was amusing.

This is a cyclical debate for sure with two resolute opposing sides but... 'the bits people' just need to consider the actual electrical connection of equipment, the bits are very, very robust which is why they have a very strong argument, until the effect of electrically coupling equipment is considered (now validity is no longer equal).

If 'they' would just add that one extremely important ingredient to their cake it could be beneficial to their systems - and that does not mean advocating boutique cables, it just means acknowledging that making an electrical connection between pieces of kit can affect SQ by extending the GND network, passing noise, leaked currents and interference around and cables could influence that - that's why I do fibre at critical points.

He missed the point. It's simply that his comment applies equally to both sides of the subjective / objective argument. You see it written his way in the cable threads, and with my change in the science threads. And it has equal validity in both cases.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: