IGNORED

Group Test: USB gadgets (AQ Jitterbug, Uptone Regen, iFi iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iPurifier2, UPDATE on p.15…)

Evaluating sound performance through listening requires effective methodology and adequate music.

Otherwise you're just "tasting" which is what a lot of audiophiles and reviewers do.

R

I suspect you still have a ways to go in your audio journey experiences. I learned specs didn't matter many years ago when a $200 eBay Hafler amplifier trounced my $2000 Bryston amplifier for "taste"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Try pulling out amplifier inputs except the DAC one by one until the noise disappears. Then try removing USB from the DAC and you'll know if the PC is causing the noise.

I have connected only one PC (now with Toslink and USB for testing). When I pull out USB the noise disapear. When I pull out toslink nothing happened. To be clear the noise isnt too loud it is audible when I put my ear infront of tweeter or when I turn up the volume of speakers to max. So maybe it is normal "PC noise" and I am only too sensitive ;) But when I have the volume on speakers set to 4/10 and in the room is silence (evening/night) I can hear it when I am sitting in sweatspot. I will order iDefender next week to be sure that is isnt ground loop.

I suspect you still have a ways to go in your audio journey experiences. I learned specs didn't matter many years ago when a $200 eBay Hafler amplifier trounced my $2000 Bryston amplifier for "taste"

I do have a long way to go but I already know that price and performance are not synonyms...

Generally I ignore specs; it's a reasonably comprehensive set of measurements that I am interested in.

But, yes, listening is the final arbiter.

As for audiophiles' and reviewers' opinions, I see little use in them.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I have a problem with my new Nano Iusb 3.0. Plugged between my MBP retina and my Dacs (xmos usb input) it doesn't work. The 5v row supply the dac but the mac doesn't see it at all. Two different macs, left and right usb ports, various usb cables and...nothing. Any suggestion? USB 3.0 issue?

I have a problem with my new Nano Iusb 3.0. Plugged between my MBP retina and my Dacs (xmos usb input) it doesn't work. The 5v row supply the dac but the mac doesn't see it at all. Two different macs, left and right usb ports, various usb cables and...nothing. Any suggestion? USB 3.0 issue?

Did you play with the Auto/On switch? I have the older Micro iUSB and the sMS-200/NAA combination doesn't see it (Roon does) when (in my case) the ground is terminated by a similar switch.

Sorry I can't be of more help - I haven't used the device myself.

open a ticket on iFi's STS support ticket system,they are really helpful.

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Can someone comment on the net effect of having the Itona in the chain and without? There is an improvement in the sound, how would you quantify the improvement? In other words, what sonic symptom does not having galvanic isolation cause in the audio?

I have a Retina MBP that has USB 3 and the iFi USB 3. What I feel is missing from the presentation is the sound is not as relaxed and flowing as I remember it being with my 2011 MPB that had USB 2.

is this a joke ? maybe the winner is legit, don't know, haven't tried

but ruling out the Corning for it requires power feed was plain bad then, if the winner is a combo.

I'd like to see how fares my Regen (green, but amber would be ok) + Corning combo

footnote : My Corning out of a usb 3 Windows port has been perfectly stable for weeks now, (was not with osx, true )

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Can someone comment on the net effect of having the Itona in the chain and without? There is an improvement in the sound, how would you quantify the improvement? In other words, what sonic symptom does not having galvanic isolation cause in the audio?

I have a Retina MBP that has USB 3 and the iFi USB 3. What I feel is missing from the presentation is the sound is not as relaxed and flowing as I remember it being with my 2011 MPB that had USB 2.

The inclusion of the Intona for my system benefits:

- Increased sound stage height by 60cm

- Cymbals have the nice decay about them

- Vocals are clear and expressive

- Bass 'wobble' is far less than without.

Without the Intona, music is lifeless and very flat...

What happens is the Intona blocks leakage currents from the source, which are responsible for dragging sq down in the DAC. I compare directly with sacd player, the latter has more 3D and better bass control.

Please click on the profile link to view equipment list.

The IUSB3.0 can reshape USB but it cannot block leakage currents. I'm waiting for the ifigalvanic3.0 to show better (realistic) specs before making purchase decision. I would keep the IUSB3.0 and go for the intona or ifigalvanic3.0 when available and with runs on the board.

Cabling does make a difference, have settled on Nordost and SAEC, they work best together after many, many trials.

Hope this helps, I do find USB2.0 to be more stable than USB3 driver wise. Some Dac just baulk at USB3 and just collapse in a heap, I found this especially on MBP 2013 retina.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Look at what I have here :D

IMG_7319.jpg

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

Looking forward to your reviews. I ended up getting a few of the iSilencers to play with with along with the iUSB Micro USB. Still not getting the relaxed and flowing music presentation what I had with the now dead 2011 MBP though. I'm hoping the Itona or IGalvanic will solve this issue for me. I was thinking it was AC power noise related, but now I'm thinking it's the USB 3.0 that has robbed me of the musicality.

Look at what I have here :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34053[/ATTACH]

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Hi, I'm new one here. I would like to understand , how to organize audio dedicated PC. Power supply: hdplex 100w for mobo and ssd. Jplay USB card and power from hdplex(I mean the jplay's analog) to it. Then DAC. DAC will be 1350$ (Gungnir multibit), can't afford more expensive now. So I don't see any need of adding anything else for the first time(intona or ifi iusb3.0). I mean it's quite strange to build pc which is practically the same price as DAC. What else except ifi iusb3.0 and intona could I consider as a future upgrade coming with better DAC? Or maybe there is no need in pc and there is more convenient and better way? Thanks for any help!

P.s. Sorry for my English, it's not my mother tongue.

I putted in Jcat Femto USB card, before tryied W4S USB recovery, Melco N1A (nas-streamer), so all of them are far away from how good is Jcat Femto, it must be forst upgrade in PC, later should try Intona and so on... I wish that would try Jcat Femto on the begining, would avoid returning reselling options in my way.

On 16.03.2017 at 4:12 PM, Amigoz said:

I putted in Jcat Femto USB card, before tryied W4S USB recovery, Melco N1A (nas-streamer), so all of them are far away from how good is Jcat Femto, it must be forst upgrade in PC, later should try Intona and so on... I wish that would try Jcat Femto on the begining, would avoid returning reselling options in my way.

Thank you for answer. I understand how important this little thing in the chain now. After many days of reading reviews and doing other stuff like this. Quite a lot of people advice something like this: (best possible solution)

pc>isolator>regen>DAC 

Could you or someone else answer me please, if adding a regen after isolator (for example new IFI IGalvanic3.0) in chain: "USB femto card"(With linear power supply)>>>IFI IGalvanic3.0

will bring anything good? Or it will be just useless? Thank you in advance

16 hours ago, Mishka242 said:

Thank you for answer. I understand how important this little thing in the chain now. After many days of reading reviews and doing other stuff like this. Quite a lot of people advice something like this: (best possible solution)

pc>isolator>regen>DAC 

Could you or someone else answer me please, if adding a regen after isolator (for example new IFI IGalvanic3.0) in chain: "USB femto card"(With linear power supply)>>>IFI IGalvanic3.0

As much as i read about Isolator in forums, it can make sound in some systems to "closed" not airy, but things changes when you add Regen and other gadgets. My setup PC with Jcat Femto - ATLAS USB 3 meter long cable directly to DAC - power supply is simple one (not linear) and i really like the sound. Of course later i would like to test uptone LPS-1 and Jcat Isolator (The same Intona), but do not know if i really need it now :)  If you will test Jcat Femto, just try with setting filter - on and filter - off, also installing Jcat drivers and uninstalling them, for me it made big difference. Looking from saving costs - just putting Jcat Femto is cheapest and best upgrade i had. Please note, different systems, different results - W4S RUR (USB recovery) did not sounded good in my system, but in others it can be what you are looking for, test test and one more time testing :)

17 hours ago, Mishka242 said:

pc>isolator>regen>DAC 

I would suggests wait for the iGalvanic for normal use (basically a all-in-one USB fix), for the ultimate and cost no object people, go for the iGalvanic + micro iUSB3.0, I am awaiting the iGalvanic to be launched and will report back :)

On 2/25/2017 at 11:12 PM, One and a half said:

Further to post #226. Today's experiment was to add in the recovery to the chain.

Chain 1 : PC -> Oyaide continental USB 0.7m ->Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender LEX -> Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender REX -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> Intona Std -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> DAC [MPD-3].

I played this combo all day, was a pleasure to listen to.

Chain 2 : PC -> Oyaide continental USB 0.7m ->Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender LEX -> Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender REX -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> Recovery -> SAEC SUS480 USB -> Intona Std -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> DAC [MPD-3].

Recovery PSU = Stock unit supplied connected to balanced 120-0-120V supply.

Immediate difference for Chain 2 that included the W4S recovery ahead of the Intona was the stage height dropped some 60cm to just over the top of the speaker. The wide sound stage collapsed, so that the field was in the centre (like mono) with only the odd instrument in either extreme left or right speaker. That spread across was missing. I was quite taken aback how much landscape was lost, however the tonality remained much the same, albeit some finer details like cymbal decays were totally absent, just lost.

End result was Chain 1 was reinstated and everything back to wonderful. Less is more :)

Hi from Northern NSW, maybe one day we could have a coffee.

I have not read all the posts , but could you please provide more info on why you are using the Icron products.

Thanks

7 hours ago, Amigoz said:

As much as i read about Isolator in forums, it can make sound in some systems to "closed" not airy, but things changes when you add Regen and other gadgets. My setup PC with Jcat Femto - ATLAS USB 3 meter long cable directly to DAC - power supply is simple one (not linear) and i really like the sound. Of course later i would like to test uptone LPS-1 and Jcat Isolator (The same Intona), but do not know if i really need it now :)  If you will test Jcat Femto, just try with setting filter - on and filter - off, also installing Jcat drivers and uninstalling them, for me it made big difference. Looking from saving costs - just putting Jcat Femto is cheapest and best upgrade i had. Please note, different systems, different results - W4S RUR (USB recovery) did not sounded good in my system, but in others it can be what you are looking for, test test and one more time testing :)

I have JCAT Femto and I don't understand what drivers you liked the most, or how you Install then uninstall the drivers?!

Also, how you power your Femto and how you like better the filters, on or off?

7 hours ago, jventer said:

Chain 2 : PC -> Oyaide continental USB 0.7m ->Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender LEX -> Icron Ranger 2214 USB Extender REX -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> Recovery -> SAEC SUS480 USB -> Intona Std -> Nordost Blue Heaven USB -> DAC [MPD-3].

Recovery PSU = Stock unit supplied connected to balanced 120-0-120V supply.

I would try the changed order: Intona first, then Recovery. Why? Intona provides high quality galvanic isolation but is known to be not so good in output signal integrity. To improve signal integrity is Recovery USB Reclocker's main function.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, bogi said:

I would try the changed order: Intona first, then Recovery. Why? Intona provides high quality galvanic isolation but is known to be not so good in output signal integrity. To improve signal integrity is Recovery USB Reclocker's main function.

I tried either way for the RUR, the results spoke for themselves, with the RUR back in a drawer.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

16 hours ago, sima66 said:

I have JCAT Femto and I don't understand what drivers you liked the most, or how you Install then uninstall the drivers?!

Also, how you power your Femto and how you like better the filters, on or off?

First when received Jcat Femto - Filter was ON, and i installed driver immediatly from their website. In this setup it was not anything special for me. Later i changed filter to OFF on Jcat Femto and sound for me improved (improved for my liking - more open soundstage) so later i thought i did not tried uninstalling Jcat femto driver (those found on their website and installed immediatly when just putted Jcat Femto into PC) - as the sound still was too colourfull, so when uninstalled them, bang, the sound not so collourfull, just everything correct. Power supply i use i do not remember name, just regulated simple power supply, maybe the level of IFI Ipower or worse...   So  Marcin from JPLAY told that they build new linear power supply, and i will give a try for it when it will be available, as i starting to think, that bass control can be improved in my system, even already have good results. But you know this hobby, never ending story... :)

6 hours ago, Amigoz said:

First when received Jcat Femto - Filter was ON, and i installed driver immediatly from their website. In this setup it was not anything special for me. Later i changed filter to OFF on Jcat Femto and sound for me improved (improved for my liking - more open soundstage) so later i thought i did not tried uninstalling Jcat femto driver (those found on their website and installed immediatly when just putted Jcat Femto into PC) - as the sound still was too colourfull, so when uninstalled them, bang, the sound not so collourfull, just everything correct. Power supply i use i do not remember name, just regulated simple power supply, maybe the level of IFI Ipower or worse...   So  Marcin from JPLAY told that they build new linear power supply, and i will give a try for it when it will be available, as i starting to think, that bass control can be improved in my system, even already have good results. But you know this hobby, never ending story... :)

So you actually use the the default MS driver, like Marcin recommends.

No need for additional JCAT driver.

The reason I asked you what PS you use to power Femto is because with a good PS, Femto filters might restrain the sound.

I don't even know how to switch those filters on/off!

12 minutes ago, sima66 said:

So you actually use the the default MS driver, like Marcin recommends.

No need for additional JCAT driver.

The reason I asked you what PS you use to power Femto is because with a good PS, Femto filters might restrain the sound.

I don't even know how to switch those filters on/off!

If I'm not mistaken, there is a special jumper. Marcin posted something about filters and what they exactly do , you can find it on official Jplay forums.