IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

16 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Yeah, sorry about that.

No need to be sorry, I have a great affection for the country since my first tourist visit 30 years ago - I've even settled here. What I meant was that the Dutch society is IMO and in opinion of many exceptionally egalitarian, which I really appreciate.

Cheers! Fijne avond! 

12 minutes ago, botrytis said:

People do not like to hear the truth.

It happens.

Hearing the truth isn't always a pleasant thing, even for audiophiles..

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Someone would have to contact a truth in advertising/consumer protection agency in a country that actually cares. 

I believe this could really be done.

Beside that if other labels join Warner and are also shareholders of MQA, I'd ask a good lawyer if something like that can't be called a collusion

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Does it sound good without MQA approved cartridge.? 

Is it profitable enough without it.?

One of the comments to the article (2018):

"Remastering a classic is awesome but ...

Submitted by leedom on March 21, 2018 - 10:31am

Now we have no way to avoid MQA? I think I'll sit this one out."

And one more thing:

"A point missed in the article

Submitted by tronds on March 23, 2018 - 3:15am

The new reissue available in Norway is actually a SACD, with both the DSD layer and a MQA-encoded CD layer. I would find it strange if the international release would differ from this disc layout."

Haven't heard about this format before.

MQA is everywhere.. Almost no place to hide.. :ph34r:

;)

• 2 weeks later...

22 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I can start to understand this fellow when I realize that half the population is below average intelligence.

22 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Actually, half the population is below the median intelligence.  9_9

2 hours ago, Jud said:

If you believe there is such a singular quality as "intelligence." (Think about it: Would you rate all athletes on the basis of a single quality/number called "athleticism"? Who would have more of it - weightlifters, sprinters, basketball players, rock climbers...? Now think about whether you believe human mental capabilities are more various than our physical ones.)

Apologies for the OT, it's a long time pet peeve.

There is no other place on the internet that would stimulate my intellect as much as this thread. And it's probably not only me, judging by the number of views which astonishingly quickly approaches number of atoms in the universe. 

Anyway, back on topic - I understand that Kal's brilliant remark was mostly of statistic nature. As for the singularity of intelligence, as far as I know the median of different types of intelligences is more or less 9 (notice musical one!).

3584b27c99e7a958a945db553c5452de.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't like to politicize this thread x-D but I've just come to the conclusion that the (meaningful - Neil Young, Wikipedia references..) position of this forum in the discussion about MQA can to some degree be compared to the position of (RIP) RBG in SCOTUS.. :)

Have a good evening, everybody (regardless of his political views)!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

6 hours ago, Chris_87 said:

In my oppinion this is clearly misleading advertising. See the first question.

https://www.mqa.co.uk/newsroom/qa/is-mqa-lossless

There is more than enoght evidence that MQA is everything but lossless.

Has anybody living in the UK informed CMA already. For me living in Austria this has become quite difficult since brexit.

2 hours ago, Chris_87 said:

In their FAQ I linked above they claim in the first answer that MQA is lossless. No word on the container itself.

Source; https://www.mqa.co.uk/newsroom/qa/is-mqa-lossless

This is clearly missleading.

Something like

Q: Can a petrol car drive without fuel?

A: Yes

But only a few feet in case the 1st gear is engaded and you will use the engine starter.

I also think informing Competition and Markets Authority or some other relevant authority (I unfortunately can't say what organization could it be) could be quite fruitful. Maybe even more than almost a thousand of pages of this (great) thread.

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

It's also evidently better than lossless, and the only advancement of significance in audio distribution in the last 20 years:

406297344_ScreenShot2021-04-20at2_05_47PM.thumb.jpeg.e30625b5957dc40734ea275a6e7ae1f2.jpeg

We have been clearly witnessing the birth of a new audio format category - it's neither (oldfashioned) lossy nor lossless - it's more than that, so it's clearly gainy! Hence all lossless formats are actually lossy (cause ex definitio they lose to gainy MQA) when you compare them with MQA!

And you're complaining, guys.. x-D

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, Confused said:

Introducing MQA, based on actual research into human neuroscience, Marijuana Quality Authenticated.

You may be onto something here, just saw this logo - clearly a joint inside the 'Q'!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZqhezW-tlr6oB6Yk5FIxg5i7rHyIwlHojbg&usqp=CAU

But I'm slightly confused by that:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWVDfLJPhd4e5zARhXrfj92_6cW7qor2ZdeE1OtR6cd2GFLvg32CncS4-56tzwuHYYKRU&usqp=CAU

I've just also seen this:

MQA.png?itok=WVfJhkM1

beside the fact that I can clearly see a gramophone symbol in this logo 9_9, I began to think - is it possible that 'MQA' had not been a registered trademark before the birth of MQA audio clan..

And if so maybe they use the abbreviation unlawfully, which could potentially have some quite serious consequences..;)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Confused said:

MQA in the Press (...)
Stay up-to-date with MQA’s press coverage here.

And here because you don't know shi... guys and they do.. ;)

I wonder how much money does one need to buy a very shi..y and pretty influencive magazine like

"What TF, errr HiFi".?

I really do.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Archimago said:

Absolutely 😉 just go ask a few friends and family members if CD sounds good. I don't think we need to be that special... 

I think we need to.

If not us, then who.? ;)

But seriously - I expressed it many times - to me hi res makes a meaningful difference.

Everyone's MMV, of course.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

(I see this separately from whether one thinks one can hear a difference. I try to be more pragmatic about this. )

IMO one of the reasons why so many hear so little is the fact that the very thinking process itself stands in the way of really well done comparative listening test. In particular, the dense and tense thinking. All one has to do is to allow some gap between the thoughts. It is already there anyway.. That's where hearing process takes place :) 

Think I'm gonna write a book about it some day.

It will be entitled 'Zen and the Art of Listening' ;););)

Of course don't treat the whole thing too seriously.. ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, RichardSF said:

I've had a YouTube Premium family subscription for many years (originally called YouTube Red). YouTube without ads is great, and YouTube itself is a valuable source of concert recordings that are hard to find anywhere else. I don't use YouTube for streaming music and you can't consider it to be paying for a separate service because YouTube Music and YouTube Premium are combined in the same subscription.

The answer is:

Adblock Plus - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock_Plus