IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Nobody’s opinion should be dismissed, but finding non-press accolades equivalent to TAS and Stereophile is like finding Bigfoot. 

Exactly, and they continue to conflate the notion that some think MQA sounds "good", and those in the press who say it sounds "better".

Now..let's have some fun!  Virtually the same demo, as reported by John Atkinson..

"When Peter then played the MQA version, my jaw dropped—this was not the recording with which I was familiar. This was now a live string quartet playing in front of me. The music made instant sense in a way that it had taken me a long time to comprehend from the PCM original."

JVS:

"In another comparison of a before/after McGrath recording, this time of music by Stravinsky, the MQA file's colors were so much more striking, and the timbres far more real-life. When we switched to one of Peter's live recordings of the Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio performing Beethoven—I was present at the recording session—there was a fineness of detail to the MQA recording that seemed far more real than the comparatively thick-sounding non-MQA presentation.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-laas#2cl12wKsWqAR49yz.99

CHASM..wide as the Grand Canyon folks.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What's also surprising from the old guard is all of a sudden their massive dislike of all things DSP has evaporated. For decades we've heard from the Ministers of Information about not touching a pristine signal, room correction is bad, converting formats is bad, etc... I'm cool if they believe it and want to espouse their beliefs. I'm sure I'm guilty of espousing my own audio beliefs.

However, the sudden turnaround professing that processing a pristine signal like origami and removing bits that can't be replaced is the second coming of digital audio is quite strange. Where did my ole straight wire with gain guys go?

...THIS......

18 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Audio reviewers in general, also say that you cannot judge and make exact estimations of sound quality, in audio show conditions.

Yet, in the case of MQA, they put that prudence aside and make very definite judgments about (MQA) sound quality (being better). Curious...

There NUMEROUS curious things about MQA coverage, starting when the new MQA World was"birthed"..

9 minutes ago, Norton said:

OK I’ll tell you, in a nutshell I simply can’t abide hypocrisy, unfairness and double standards in any aspect of life.  The outrage I seem to have provoked by suggesting that  all should admit their industry connections where applicable (a restating of existing forum policy as I understood it) rather than just those  seen as supportive of MQA,  simply  serves to show that my concerns were well-founded.

Just too rich. Don't fall off that high horse.

MQA is the Pink Slime of the audio industry. Period.

9 minutes ago, crenca said:

Right there, right there!  The consumer reaction against the efforts of these publications to promote something that is against their interests is neither "bizzare" or "ill tempered".  That's just rhetoric - emotivism on your part.  What is "bizzare" is their obvious anti-consumer stance. Yet, for some reason it bothers you Norton, even though you claim you are not an industry insider.  Why?  You don't like the tone of the debate?  So what, the substance is there - not that you contribute to the substance.  What is it about MQA that you find worth defending?  The sound?  So what, the sound is not the reason it exists .  Are you sure your not an industry shill?  What is it about MQA that deserves support Norton?

What is the substance of your complaint Norton beside the fact that you don't like the debate itself?

The biggest complaint of the Norton type is we are shattering the illusion of a vast catalog of magically "corrected", 'deblurred", and "authenticated" hires music for 20 bucks a month.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You’re acting like it’s impossible to lie online. Asking people the question about affiliation does nothing unless the person is honest. 

For all I know you’re Bob S.

It takes a bit of sleuthing to catch someone bad mouthing another company for their own benefit. I’ve yet to see anyone come out and say “It’s me.”

There was a very well known speaker manufacturer who had over 100 personas/monikers on various forums....there was a lot of pushback against his products after being elevated to God like status by a certain magazine.

5 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Sounds like the dude who told Stereophile that other speaker designers hadn’t made any significant advances in years. Came out of nowhere to become “the world’s best speaker designer”. Just ask him!

..he called other-speaker companies..”furniture makers”...lol

3 hours ago, wdw said:

Just hoping to qualify this... and the following replies, Crenca, et.al, to this first post.

So, accordingly, Alon Wolf, of Magico was very active on music based internet sites maintaining multiple aliases advancing his commercial interests.  Do I have it correctly?  

No snark here.  Just hoping for clarification.  Innuendo or fact?   No hands in the cookie jar but everyone knew?

Essentially correct..more like audio hardware forums...he was there to address and control backlash from the over the top TAS reviews and to defend pricing, which at the time was shocking to many. He eventually ended up on one forum that had ultra wealthy members as himself to engage with fanboys, customers, and potential customers.

15 minutes ago, Indydan said:

I have read all 43 of your posts. You do not defend MQA in your posts. But, everyone of your posts is to criticize or create conflict; usually against anti MQA posters. 

True, sometimes you may simply have been defending yourself. But, I could not find one post in which you constructively add something to the discussion (MQA or otherwise). It is as if you only signed up to CA to create or participate in conflicts with people. That doesn't automatically make you a shill, but it does shine a spotlight on your motivations for participating here. 

Accurate. i was going to post something similar. .just defending/attacking, I see nothing added to discussion.

BTW, I don't think he is a shill...

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

There is that hammer again Mr. Quint.  Perhaps you are getting closer to your and your cohorts failure on MQA however.  You should ask yourself why - why do yourself and your cohorts, subjectively, find "smoother top end, better spatiality and superior bass clarity" (when it comes to MQA) when the tested group does not, and why does the control group (as represented by the consumer reaction against MQA and here and elsewhere - everywhere except your cohort) also correlate with the tested group.

In other words, what is it about your subjectivism that is disconnected and in in conflict with consumers subjectivism?  Another way to ask this question is what is special about your subjectivism?  Not special in a good way, but rather special in that you come to subjectivised conclusions at odds with the other groups who you ostensibly serve?  

You see Mr. Quint, we are past your scenario - way past it.  It is irrelevant, as irrelevant as a monkey on the moon with a hammer.  When will you put down your hammer, and start asking yourself the hard questions?

another question...why do musicians and mastering engineers also NOT hear what Quint and his "cohorts" hear?

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Agree with Kal about the products that "force" the MQA filters onto all playback (some allow you to manually  switch filters) should be censored. It's one of my big problems with MQA: it is so costly to implement properly (both iFi and dCS report spending over a 1000 hours of specialized software engineering to do so) that most manufacturers take the easy/cheap way out and leave MQA as the default. Whether coincidentally or not, that gives MQA playback an unfair SQ advantage on those machines, I think. Probably a reason some say they prefer it. 

Even MORE of a reason to punish companies that go near MQA. Screw them.