IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 12/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, Archimago said:

I think for me the greatest disappointment as an audiophile consumer is the lack of independent journalism in the audiophile world. Folks willing to ask tough questions and demand evidence. ...

This is not the whole truth. Unfortunately many consumers do not bother to question the salesmen "truth" even if (a hifi Journalist) try to steer them towards the available facts. I know this from experience. Audiophile community should also understand that most of the consumers (or even hifi hobbyists) are not after the most authentic sound available. Many settle for what they personally consider as "good or likeable sound" whatever that is for them. Can we really blame consumers for adopting something like MQA after decades of Ogg, MP3 etc.? No, I am not giving up but th whole World cannot be saved. It is what it is.         

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

1 hour ago, firedog said:

If MQA was marketed as an "perceptully lossless" alternative to Ogg, mp3 etc., we would welcome it as an improvement. But when the false marketing and intention to replace actual lossless are taken into account, it simply isn't something acceptable.

And I totally agree. But even amongst audiophiles there are people welcoming MQA. People who should know better. 

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

3 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

MP3 and Vorbis are now open standards.  You do not have to pay royalties to produce or play them.

MQA would have you pay royalties at each stage of the implementation.

If MQA became the distribution standard, then every music consumer would be paying for it.

I know this, You know this. About 99,9% of the people who consume music one way or the other don´t understand why they should be aware of MQA´s hidden agenda. And as I mentioned earlier I get the feeling most of them don´t even care and that saddens me.  

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

• 2 weeks later...

I totally knew Warner had MQAshed lots of material. What I did not know is that they don´t even give the 16bit 44,1 flac version (clearly there is one since this is for sale as cd) or even bother mentioning that the version is MQA. I recently played Nathalia Stutzmann and my non-MQA-dac went 96k. Erato=Warner=MQA? Or am I jumping into conclusion here? Could somebody with MQA-dac please check this.

This is an example from Tidal (within Roon):

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 12.07.33.png

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

On 1/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, jparvio said:

I totally knew Warner had MQAshed lots of material. What I did not know is that they don´t even give the 16bit 44,1 flac version (clearly there is one since this is for sale as cd) or even bother mentioning that the version is MQA. I recently played Nathalia Stutzmann and my non-MQA-dac went 96k. Erato=Warner=MQA? Or am I jumping into conclusion here? Could somebody with MQA-dac please check this.

This is an example from Tidal (within Roon):

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 12.07.33.png

Funny.... now all the info is there. I wonder what happened.

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 10.44.16.png

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel sorry for the common audiophile, who has no part in all of this but tries to figure out who is "right" and who is "wrong" while seeing valued members of the global audio community lose their dignity overnight fighting like street dogs. To my age (46) I've never ever witnessed such a childish wrestle over... Well, anything.   

As a journalist I keep coming to the  question the common audiophile need to get answered OBJECTIVELY; who benefits from MQA and how? I know this has been discussed thousand times and over, but... 

...Every Magazine, Audio site, journalist and professional (globally) should do their best to excel in getting the truth out. If there are many "truths", then at least try to gather the facts for Consensus ( a common man's white paper). And always representing the weakest side, in this case the Consumer.

Right now this is getting out of hands and serves nobody.  

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

24 minutes ago, March Audio said:

I think the fundamental truth is already there and it has nothing to do with the technical arguments.

Do we actually need another proprietary file compression system?

The answer to that is clearly no.  Flac does the job and its free.  Streaming file size is a non issue.  If you can stream Netflix you can stream hi res audio.

So why would anyone want to get locked into a proprietary system that charges for its use?  These costs get passed on to the consumer.

The technical questions are somewhat moot after this fundamental point.

I Agree but this is not about me or my opinion alone. It would help enormously if the Audiophile Press was pushing for the truth as one, don't You think? From time to time it looks like MQA is not even fighting it's own battle and that hurts.  

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

19 minutes ago, Stereo said:

Very well put but don’t rule out their potentially massively overinflated egos that have been deflated and their tiny brains not knowing how to accept it and grow up. Unlike yourself. Rather sad of them really. Perhaps they need counseling.

If You are painting, be sure not to stain the whole canvas.

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

10 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

If I had a piece of software that would compress hi-res music files and make them sound better than hi-res when played (REALLY) then I'm sure I could make money just selling it. Wouldn't you buy it?

Why would I need to foist it on everyone with no choice allowed?

Not sure who this was targeted to..?  Me?

When it comes to MQA I don't use it. I even moved from Tidal to Qobuz the minute they officially offered service in Finland since I don't accept Tidal´s MQA policy (replacing originals with MQA-versions). I believe people should be left with freedom of choice but they need to be educated so that they can select wisely.  

I'm not for foisting anything to anyone. Except for the truth when it comes to MQA. Saddens me to see where this all has lead; stationary War between the sides, much like the WW1.

What a shame, really.   

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

29 minutes ago, March Audio said:

Oh of course, but is it that simple?  There are potential conflicts of interest.  Not pointing to any publication and speaking generally, a hifi magazine may carry adverts from a dac manufacturer who is pro MQA.  There may be personal/professional relationships and so on.   Some of the hifi press / magazines are just advertising platforms padded out with some colourful, and always complimentary, stories about bits of kit.

Nothing in life is easy or direct and this case is no exception to the rule. But money or personal relationship/agenda should not be in the Way. This is exactly what should separate advertorial -based platforms from journalism.  

In Dogs I trust. There is never a hidden agenda or rainy Day with them 😍I buried our Finnish Spitz dog naemd Mörö a Year ago...😢

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Jussi, here is how it looks to me. Investors put in $52 million and are committed to put in in another $13 million. The labels contributed $11million in services and about 200 plus members of audio press actively supported MQA. The oposition was a few real professionals, some very good engineers and more than a few audiophiles thought things seemed fishy.  

I never liked WW1 analogies but if this is staionary war, the casulaties are investors money and audio journalists. The investors can spend all the money they want but it won't change the outcome. And if we lose 300 to 400 audio journalists I don't have a problem with that. They all have nice portfolios of ad copy, what you call reviews to for their next employers.

I hear You loud and clear and I don't disagree at all.

Let me put it this way from a JOURNALIST´s point of view; one should activate readers by letting them know all there is to it (facts only). I have seen very few JOURNALISTS to do even this. I do not worry about those who are openly supporting mqa.At least they are out in the open. But there are many more pro writers being silent and just anxiously waiting this to come to an end - one way or the other. It is so much easier.

Jussi Arvio

Contributing Editor

Hifimaailma Magazine