IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

15 hours ago, Digital Assassin said:

"real instruments", "real space"..oh god, what pretentious dreck. You clearly don't know the first thing about rock and roll.

Enjoy tea time,

Yes, maybe good for system demos at a HiFi show or something, but not my cup of tea for musical enjoyment over the longer haul.

10 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry, Sal. don't think your definition makes much sense. On either a 40 year or one year old multi-track rock recording, there's going to be all sorts of editing, manipulation, and mixing.That's just how they are made. 

And some of it is made quite well, the major labels have had both hits and misses over the years in that regard. I don't see how MQA can really be advancing the state of the art in terms of playback though, motives other than sound quality seem to be at play.

1 hour ago, Charles Hansen said:

Welcome, Les Habitants!

Yes, for the moment Tidal is the only meaningful source of MQA-processed files. Apparently there are somewhere around 2500 albums that have been had MQA processing applied. All of the current ones have been processed by MQA themselves, so that represents a big bottleneck as far as releasing more titles.

Thanks very much for this most informative reply, I very much appreciate it.

There is also talk of HD Tracks (the US-based high-res download store) starting a streaming service this fall that will only stream MQA files. That doesn't make sense to me, as the entire point of streaming is to have access to a vastly larger catalog that one is likely to ever own.

Yes that doesn't seem to make any sense does it? I already own thousands of albums, streaming offers value to me only if it's on a vastly larger scale than what I already own.

Currently there is no extra charge on Tidal for the small percentage of albums available in MQA, but that is likely to change if MQA ever becomes a significant fraction of the catalog. The math is very simple - it costs more to produce, store, and stream an MQA file than a CD-quality file, so sooner or later that cost will be passed on to you.

Now that does make sense, but not for me. Maybe for Bob Stuart.

The second step that currently only happens in an "MQA certified" DAC is to adjust the coefficients of its digital filter.

Very interesting, so I won't worry too much about a new DAC being "MQA certified" or not. To date MQA's marketing stance on this has been murky at best, at least as I have understood things, not to mention my HiFi dealer!

Apparently Qobuz has a much larger catalog selection than Tidal (especially for classical)

And then there's Tidal, at what point might Softbank/Sprint pull the plug on the HiFi service and with it MQA, since Tidal does nothing but lose money each year? Maybe I'll just wait for Qobuz to be available in Canada.

Thanks again Charles, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

MP3s sound a lot better today than they did in the 90s.

Absolutely, 98+% of my friends and colleagues are perfectly happy with 256-320 kbps lossy streams, and thats unlikely to change even though previous practical constraints such as available bandwidth are no longer real concerns, they don't care about any of that and think lossy streams sound just fine.

Thats why I expect Softbank/Sprint to kill Tidal's HiFi tier much faster than they would invest much of anything in it. Maybe they would be encouraged if a competitor such as Spotify were to roll out a similar service and actually gain some traction with it. Trouble is, Spotify might crush them in short order for whatever that available market share is, regardless of any MQA lure on Tidal.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...