IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

26 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

MQA taking over the world is the only real concern when you boil everything down. When would be a more appropriate time to take a stance in opposition to MQA's adaptation?

I'll reckon that 90% of music streamers (those individuals who stream music) have no idea what they are streaming. If you asked those who switched from Pandora and Spotify to Apple Music if they knew or cared that they also switched codecs they would say "no". FLAC to MQA to MQA2 to DSD or whatever the streaming space is going to do next will be a blip on any streaming services subscription numbers because there just are not that many people paying attention. The number of people following a codec from service to service are just too few to matter*.

When people buy 0 MQA files maybe they will get the hint. But, no one is, should be, expecting an increase on the sale of music files. It's all about streaming revenue and maximizing streaming revenue. If MQA thinks their primary revenue stream is from selling copies of "masters" they are going to fail so I cannot imagine this is their growth strategy. And, I'll make another guess into the future...  The number of people who don't know what a codec is _and_ buy files will drop to 0 as those individuals will all shift to streaming exclusively. The number of people who do know what a codec is/file format is and buy music will go flat or maybe even rise <shrug>. Those people will (should) put formats like MQA out of the business of "selling files". But, again, no one is focused on selling files. It's a dead future.

The future of MQA is streaming and there are just not enough people who have any idea what that means to voice an opinion on it. (my opinion of course) 

*The only exception here is when you cannot stream over cellular because the file size is too big or you need a massive data plan. Then  masses will get vocal. This is why all streaming services default their mobile apps to a lower bitrate normal/standard. Listeners will hear music skip, jump, and stutter, well before they notice a higher resolution stream. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Paul R said:

transmission, so very little, if anything, will be saved by MQA vs ALAC or FLAC that it is completely a non-issue. Might feel a bit non-intuitive, but the cold hard engineering facts are immutable. 

Paul this is well said and I'll back this up (we may be in similar industry). Only thing I will add is that there is significantly more cost savings with regards to bandwidth by tweaking the UI to default back to the "normal" setting every now and then. When most users cannot hear the difference because they have earbuds turned to 11 on a noisy bus they won't flip that setting back to "high quality" and the whole argument of how to store/stream the "high quality" is mute. In fact...   Those of us who can hear the difference will be a tad frustrated but I'd rather have to flip a switch back to high quality after every upgrade than be reminded every time high quality equates to "MQA" coming out of my system. Anyway, there are plenty of ways to reduce the bandwidth bill and MQA should not be part of that discussion if anyone is serious about truly reducing the bandwidth. MQA is the solution you use when the non-technical/non-engineering people need to say they did something. 

A couple months ago I would have absolutely believed the MQA bandwidth / storage saving "hype" but there are numerous points within this thread that now totally debunk any advantage MQA provides with regard to this. Additionally, now that I have a much better understanding of what MQA is doing it's pretty obvious the savings simply cannot be there. It seems like a selling point that should have already been discredited and removed from the marketing glossy. In fact...  It would almost make sense to me if we saw a "my high quality is better" wars when Spotify and the like open their high quality service. This would be a great marketing argument against MQA and a differentiator to those services. 

But... as I browse other audio forums that are not this one...   I am seeing a pretty significant following for MQA. To the extreme that when someone says they "dislike" MQA or say it doesn't sound as good as some other format the respondents are all over the original poster on how to "fix" their system because "it's just not possible you didn't find MQA to be the best". 

6 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Absolutely - I should have said "seems to be better"  - because it actually might not be. But people get that impression when they listen to it. Even me.  

-Paul 

Play 45 seconds of a song someone loves. Then hit the "loudness" button and play the same 45 seconds. I'd bet money the person prefers the 45 seconds with loudness on. Now make them listen to the whole album on repeat for 3+ hours. After being totally fatigued from the EQ'ing / other crap loudness generally does I would also bet that person prefers loudness off for the rest of their listening session. 

This was my audio journey with MQA (decoded/first unfold in software, I do not have MQA hardware). Initial there was a "WOW! That's alive and fun and different." But then after a few hours with it I found it to be really fatiguing to listen to. It just started to sound processed, digitized, emphasized in the wrong places, and generally overdone. Like those early HDR photos. Some people will love the MQA filters over their current redbook set-up and I totally get that. Heck, I don't even use the DAC in my CD player anymore because I prefer what my external DAC is doing when I use the player as transport. Doesn't mean my external DAC is "better". I just prefer it. 

There are fundamental reasons to stop MQA from polluting what gets streamed / downloaded into our homes. But I don't put as much value in debating if sound quality is one of those things. MQA, for some people, will sound better than what they are used to. Doesn't matter if bits are missing. Heck, an EQ'd/room corrected 128kbps MP3 that better matches someones listening environment might very well be preferred over a 24/192 file. Who am I to tell that person their preference is wrong even if I can scientifically document why I'm right?

21 minutes ago, new_media said:

I have to wonder how much of a problem piracy even is anymore. Why bother downloading pirated files when you can listen to anything and everything on the free Spotify tier? I'm sure the RIAA still tracks data on it but I haven't seen them publicize it recently.

Filed just this past week: https://musically.com/2019/03/26/major-labels-sue-american-isp-charter-communications/

Of the people I know who were heavily into this back in the Napster days those still doing it are more interested in the number of files they own than actually listening to anything they download. Most people I know who used to pirate music are now focused on pulling down movies and have pretty extensive Plex libraries of pirated stuff. You don't hear much about the RIAA going after "people" anymore because they had to stop doing that. Suing individuals was destroying their reputation and souring the entire industry. It backfired. They are now going after the ISPs for inaction when they identify the source of an illegal repository and the ISP doesn't close the account. Not sure they will be successful going after the ISPs though. So, yes, piracy is still alive and well if for no other reason than people can. I'm continuously amazed where people find the freetime to inconvenience themselves over just paying the $9.99 a month but, I guess, there are stranger hobbies. 

28 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'd put money on the proposition that it's lower than the number of AV receivers sold in Los Angeles in a comparable period.

Lower yes but I don't think MQA cares about high-end DACS so much. Remember that AV receiver _is_ a DAC and can probably directly stream at least Spotify. Slap a MQA logo alongside the other 10 or so formats from DTS and Dolby and others already on the box and the owner of that AV receiver _will_ tell you that they have never heard their streaming service sound better. MQA just won another cheerleader. 

There are a lot of things people do in this world that I will simply not understand and that puts me in the _minority_ of people not doing those things. Copying streamed music is certainly one of them. But, I guess, this is no different than making mix tapes off the radio which is something I did do back when that was a thing. I'm sure the kids these days appreciate not having a DJ talking for the first third of every song in your collection. 

I'm sure there are plenty of these examples but I found one for the first time yesterday: An EP released in 24/44.1.... 

Qobuz - 24/44.1 PCM

Tidal - 24/44.1 MQA

Release is from this year so I assume these are from the same master. 

The album does sound different (by different I mean worse / better with/without MQA) and even track to track they sound different. Is this the purist way to hear what MQA is doing before getting lossy in the "beyond redbook" frequencies? I assume that the MQA version is just applying the MQA filtering and debluring?