IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bobfa said:

What an amazing collection of information. It took me over three days of “spare” time to read the whole thing.  Thanks to EVERONE.

I am evolving my systems and have upgraded my DAC/AMP  to the new Brooklyn DAC+ and AMP.  My current front end is Sonic Transporter i5 and an microrendu.  I have SOTM SMS-200 ultra and a modded switch on the way. I have held off on the USB re-clock part for just a bit.  I am looking at the grounding and shielding ideas that I can do on my own.  The idea of sleeving the USB with a shield and grounding the Switchs, etc.  will be fun.

i have a couple of server questions.

Has anyone used the new Sonic Transporter i7 bridged server?

I am looking to try my i7 Intel NUC with Windows 10 to see how that works for sound quality and bridging networks.  There was a whole section in the thread on out manually optimizing windows.  Does anyone have any thoughts about that or one of the methods?

—-RJF

I don't run Windows 10, but a lot of people seem to like this optimization software:

https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, flkin said:

In addition to the cable from 10Mz Clock to the tX-USBultra (in the case of the Trifecta), the other three 24/25 Hz clock distribution cables from tX-USBultra to the switch and sMS200 would probably need attention too.

I found these double shielded ones that seem to be better than the stock recommended ones by SOTM-US. The link is for double right angled connections but normal straight ones are available too. $57 for 12 inch lengths.

https://www.pasternack.com/smb-plug-smb-plug-rg316-ds-cable-assembly-pe33476lf-12-p.aspx

At short lengths such as these, I'm not convinced that signal drop per 100m matters. We're talking about 1-2db drop differences over 100m making drops over 30cm lengths insignificant. Shielding and termination quality I suspect matter more.

Have you actually tried these cables to compare them to those recommended by SOtM?  If so, would you please describe the nature and magnitude of the difference in SQ?

4 hours ago, vortecjr said:

No. However, this power supply is based on one that we use to make and it rocks. My VP Adrian gave them the information and they are building it now. 

http://atechfabrication.com/products/Ultra-Low-Noise-Power-Supply.htm  

How are they selling your power supply design for 60% of what you formerly asked for it?  What have they changed to enable the lower price point?

22 minutes ago, austinpop said:

@mozes Moussa,

Can you describe where you’ve tried the Bybee IQSE in your system, and what you heard?

In the same vein, any experience with Synergistic Blue or Beeswax fuses? 9_9

I have an SR Blue fuse on the way for my Vega.  Hopefully, I won't destroy the DAC installing it.  My DIY skills are very sketchy.

The nice thing about the SR Blue fuse is that you have a 30-day return period.  Unfortunately, there is no such option for Beeswax fuses, so a true comparison could end up being costly if you prefer the SR Blue.

14 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

For $4k I question whether the gain in SQ is equal investing that amount into better speakers, a DAC, preamp or amp.  My guess is I'm better off putting it towards any one of those components.  Whether that's a Chord Dave, Blu2, or a myriad of other components, $4k is a tough nut to swallow.  That's just me though.  YMMV. 

The introductory price is $3500 which is comparable to the Mutec REF10, which @romaz has gushed over.  Maybe he will chime in with an answer to your question.

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I'll chime in and say that - for me, my system, and my ears - my Cybershaft OP-14 made a bigger sonic difference than what I heard replacing my Codex with a loaner DAVE.

I know Roy thinks I'm nuts for not hearing more from the DAVE, but as I've repeated many times, the reason I am so active in this pre-DAC part of the digital chain is that the improvements I'm hearing are a bigger bang for the buck than I hear with DAC upgrades - and I've tried the Hugo 2, DAVE and the Ayre QX-5.

Does that mean I won't ever upgrade my DAC? Of course not! What I'm finding is that the old adage of "improve your source" applies here in full force. With my latest round of improvements upstream of the DAC in place, I felt like I hear bigger differences between DACs now.

Everything matters.

YMMV.

Your Cybershaft at less than half the cost of the SOtM reference master clock is a big bang for the buck.  Do you think the improvement is worth $4,000 or should that kind of money be dedicated elsewhere?

24 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

What version of DeoxIt do you use?  I was just talking with a tech over at Audio Research (ARC) as I have their LS-28.  He actually recommended DeoxIt as well.  In fact, when I mentioned I was going to try a Synergistic Blue Quantum fuse he said you can absolutely hear a difference in fuses.  Not only that but the direction of the fuse as well.  So this is from a well respected company who has to install fuses in all of its products.

I use G5.  Does a nice job on my tube pins.

6 hours ago, beautiful music said:

I'm trying to figure out the location of Fuse but i didn't found it.

May i know where is the location of Fuse that you replaced it?

5a7eb2cb1e388_AuralicVegaDAC.thumb.jpg.e3e588ea65ec8bc0a098c090400339bd.jpg

It took me a while to find the fuse also how to access it.  @lmitche gave you the perfect instructions immediately below your post.  The process is actually quite simple.  Even I could do it.

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

This afternoon, I went in search of fuses in my chain. I also learned how to decipher the fuse ratings. So far, I have located the following:

• Cavalli Liquid Gold headphone amp: 2 fuses, each 1A, 250V, slow-blow, 5x20mm. I also popped the top (24 torx screws!) to peek in for additional fuses. I couldn't find any.
    • The fuses were located in the little fuse box under the IEC input port.
    • Question: Am I correct to assume both the fuses are in use? Or is one a spare? How would I know which was the spare?
  • Zenith SE: 1 fuse, 2A, 250V, slow-blow, 5x20mm.
    • The companion to the fuse on the other side of the fuse box was a steel spring.
  • Ayre Codex DAC: there's no fuse holder in the IEC input. I couldn't find a fuse inside the chassis, but I didn't get very far in opening the chassis. I was able to unscrew and pull out the rear panel, but I couldn't find an easy way to slide out the side panel. I'm sure with some care it could be done, but I lost my nerve at this point. So if there is a fuse in this DAC, it's not in a place I can easily access.
  • Cybershaft: TBD. I sent a note to Kenji to ask him first, before I open up the unit.
  • PS Audio P5: did not check whether this has fuse(s).

At this point, my inclination is to try the Cavalli and the Zenith SE fuses, and see what improvements arise, if any.

If you really need 2 fuses for the Cavalli, I'd start with the Zenith SE.  I'm not sure the cost of upgrading 2 fuses in the Cavalli could be justified.

1 hour ago, RickyV said:

Google jssg shield.

I Made a variation on the jssg and that is: take a cable shield it with copper foil tape. Copper tape is very thin if you bent it to much it will tear so i put linen tape over it, strengthening it and isolate it from a second layer of copper tape or braided shield. When isolate the fist layer leave the ends untaped to connect to the second layer.

linen tape is used in the automotive industrie for cable harnass.

I don’t know if it works i have noting to compare it to.

I did it with sata cable and supra cat 8.

The second layer of the cat8 i did with http://www.techflex.nl/metalshielding-flexo-conductive-c-146_62.html?language=EN.

This is the more expensive option,

http://www.techflex.nl/metaalshielding-flexo-shield-c-146_123.html

Do you have any photos of your interim or finished product?