IGNORED

My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC

21 minutes ago, rickca said:

So if the ES8620 is so good, why did the SU-6 go with XMOS?

What is strange is that intensive Googling and even digging around on ESS Technology's web site yields zero references to an ES8620S USB chip even existing--anywhere other than in the new Gustard U16.  What chip maker produces a significant new piece and does not even have a press release about it? :S

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

What is strange is that intensive Googling and even digging around on ESS Technology's web site yields zero references to an ES8620S USB chip even existing--anywhere other than in the new Gustard U16.  What chip maker produces a significant new piece and does not even have a press release about it? :S

True. Maybe U16 is like test platform for them before go official :D 

The fact is U16 sounds smoother, liquid comparing to XMOS SU-1. It sounds more like Dante protokole DIO.

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

1 hour ago, rafa said:

True. Maybe U16 is like test platform for them before go official :D 

The fact is U16 sounds smoother, liquid comparing to XMOS SU-1. It sounds more like Dante protokole DIO.

Rafa,

The U16 requires special drivers?.  What type of PSU has in it, switch linear?. What clock uses?

Thanks. 

Resolution and transparency is similar and is very good. You wont go further on this. 

I am expecting more hi-end aspects.

DAC is in my signature.

btw

I started separate thread for U16 

Aqua Acoustics La Voce + Gato Audio AMP-150 + Opera Callas speakers

Audio PC LPS+Neutrino clock+SoTm USBexp + Win10 + Fidelizer Pro

On 11/16/2018 at 1:43 PM, elan120 said:

Another new discovery...

It's been a short while since I post more findings for SU-1 here, and think it is time to share my latest finding.  I have been making Gotham JSSG360 cables for a while, replaced all DC power supply cables, PC CPU, SATA, and soon 24pin ATX power cables, as well as few other devices internal DC cables with very good success, finally I decided to give SU-1 the same treatment, and the improvement is very noticeable from the moment I power everything back up.  The improvement from this short section of cable is quite surprising, not only the overall detail retrieval took another step forward, sound stage, dynamic, layering all moved up nicely.

This cable isn't difficult to replace, and for the amount of additional enjoyment it provided, I would highly recommend to give it a try.

Here are couple pictures of this Gotham JSSG360 cable.

New cable installed.  Connecting to the 5VDC input:

20181115_181128.thumb.jpg.f79a35b4a0e9f1c505c3d39bd4773342.jpg

Closer look:

20181115_181149.thumb.jpg.fb06c63c72beffc25edce7258fb49e76.jpg

Hello Elan120,

I'm looking for Gotham JSSG360 cables , replacing all DC power supply cables, PC CPU, SATA for my PC, but could not find anywhere. Cn you help? Many Thanks

5 hours ago, Tuy Hoang said:

Hello Elan120,

I'm looking for Gotham JSSG360 cables , replacing all DC power supply cables, PC CPU, SATA for my PC, but could not find anywhere. Cn you help? Many Thanks

Hello Tuy,

Here is the Gotham cable:  https://gothamcables.com/en/gothamcables/starquad/11301gac41ultrapro

I purchased mine from here:  http://gothamaudiousa.com/

If you plan on making the cable yourself, getting them from Gotham distributor is great, since you can make custom length and connections.  If you want to purchase ready made, then follow the post above from Ghent, although I have not seen their cable in person, so cannot comment their termination method.

I have posted how to make the cable in another thread, let me know if need it.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Hello Tuy,

Here is the Gotham cable:  https://gothamcables.com/en/gothamcables/starquad/11301gac41ultrapro

I purchased mine from here:  http://gothamaudiousa.com/

If you plan on making the cable yourself, getting them from Gotham distributor is great, since you can make custom length and connections.  If you want to purchase ready made, then follow the post above from Ghent, although I have not seen their cable in person, so cannot comment their termination method.

I have posted how to make the cable in another thread, let me know if need it.

I'm interested in following your lead and making a Gotham for the internal cable of the SU-1.  Any pointers?  I've previously made a normal DC cable from the DC input to the board connector so I am fairly familiar with what to do in general.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

2 hours ago, tboooe said:

I'm interested in following your lead and making a Gotham for the internal cable of the SU-1.  Any pointers?  I've previously made a normal DC cable from the DC input to the board connector so I am fairly familiar with what to do in general.

The only pointer is try keeping the shields terminated as close to the connectors as possible to help keeping the RFI exposure to the minimum.  Other than that, if you already have a crimper for the two VHR-2N crimp terminals (pins), it will help make this job quite simple.

Another option is...send me your address via PM, and I will make one for you (no cost).  All you have to do is to replace the cable you have and plug this one in.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, snoopy72 said:

Could someone please confirm for me that 2018 Singxer SU-1 model has fixed issue compatible with W4S DAC2v2-DSDse.

Thanks!

Hey Snoop, the fix for the SU-1 issue with the W4S DAC2v2-DSDse is a twofold fix:

1) Special firmware that configures the i2s output for W4S

2) Bypass capacitor for PCM selection issue.

Contact [email protected] and he will configure a unit for you. 

See my post here:https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31500-i2s-compatibility-issue-between-w4s-dac2-singxer-su-1-two-beatiful-pieces-of-hi-end-products/?do=findComment&comment=671616

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

18 minutes ago, snoopy72 said:

Franatic,

Thanks for quick respond. I though 2018 model doesn't have same shipset as older model so I have no clue where to install bypass capacitor.

Yes, it may be different for the newer model.....not sure.

Email [email protected]

He will tell you what you need to do.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

On 11/18/2018 at 3:22 AM, Superdad said:

What chip maker produces a significant new piece and does not even have a press release about it? :S

I wrote them an e-mail and got following reply:

--------

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your mail. We are aware that a particular customer in China is using the ES8620 in a new DAC.

This device was originally designed for Soundbar applications and has been non-preferred for new designs for several years.

We do not recommend this device for new designs and we are not supporting it here in Europe.

Sincerely,

David B*****

-------

9 hours ago, paulinus said:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your mail. We are aware that a particular customer in China is using the ES8620 in a new DAC.

This device was originally designed for Soundbar applications and has been non-preferred for new designs for several years.

We do not recommend this device for new designs and we are not supporting it here in Europe.

Sincerely,

David B*****

WOW!

On 5/7/2017 at 2:48 PM, Energy said:

If $400 is too expensive for some of you then go for a smaller mod.

SU-1 Main Board:

- (3) Nichicon FPCAP (R7) 220μF 6.3V 7mΩ

- (2) Panasonic FR EEU-FR1E331 330μF 25V - 56mΩ (to replace capacitors nearby LD1086 regulator)

- (1) Sparkos Labs SS1117XX Discrete Voltage Regulator 3.3V (to replace LD1086 regulator)

SU-1 Power Board:

- (1) Panasonic FR 1000μF 25V 18mΩ

- (3) Panasonic FR 470μF 25V 30mΩ

- (1) Belleson SPZ78 Discrete Voltage Regulator 5V (to replace stock LM2940CT-5)

- (4) WIMA MKP2 0.1µF 100V 5% (to replace film capacitors)

Internal Wire Upgrade:

- (1) Canare 4S6 Star Quad Cable 1FT

- (1) VH Series VHR-2N 2 Position Rectangular Housing Connector Receptacle

- (2) VH Series SVH-41T-P1.1 Contact Crimp Socket 16-20 AWG

NOTE: Capacitors

* Try to not increase capacitance higher than stock value

* The lower the ESR/Impedance the better (except for electrolytic capacitors nearby the LD1086 regulator)

* Replacing with WIMA MKP2 isn't really needed but if you want to, order everything from Mouser instead

The biggest improvement would be feeding the Singxer SU-1 with the cleaner UpTone LPS-1 linear power supply. This bypasses the noisy LM2940CT-5 (150µV) of the stock linear power supply and removes AC leakage loop being sent to the DAC. If one cannot purchase an UpTone LPS-1, then changing to a lower output noise Belleson SPZ78 (4µV) will also yield improvements that are audible. The next upgrade after that would be changing out the LD1086 (100µV) voltage regulator to the discrete SS1117XX (3µV).

NOTE: Voltage Regulators

* µV stands for the measurement of output noise in microvolts (the lower the better)

Thanks.

I'm using two identical SU-1 clones (FUN01 V1.1) to do capacitor comparisons and I am wondering what is the lowest voltage capacitor that is safe to use in the positions of the aluminum electrolytics on the SU-1/FUN01? I realize there are more than one version of the SU-1, but please just stick to my question and don't start ranting about why Chinese clones are the devil. :o2smile:

From what I have read, the voltages are 5-7V, so would a 16V Sanyo OSCON be okay in all 6 positions? One other question, is there any truth in people saying that the capacitor nearest the XMOS has the biggest change? I wouldn't have thought so based on my experimenting, but curious if anyone has a comment on this topic.

I'm comparing against Rubycon BlackGate™ F, Rubycon RX30, Sanyo OSCON, Nichicon Muse, Nichicon Fine Gold, ELNA Cerafine, ELNA SILMIC, ELNA ARS SILMIC Super Gold, ELNA ToneRex, etc.

I had a decent amount of people asking me to test the OSCON series, but it only goes up to 16V from what I found (correct me if I am wrong).

Feel free to come by and check out my site, I'm working on the Potomac AA-51 for getting accurate THD, IMD, Phase and more measurements. I landed on using screw terminals in the capacitor holes and you can get the rest of the details if interested in the link below.

https://hallmanlabs.com/2018/10/11/...son-testing-in-progress-photos-and-a-preview/

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve or general feedback/criticism, you can find my contact info on the site or comment at the bottom.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

10093185sm.png

Home: FUN01 v2.0 XMOS DSD DAC (Similar to Singxer SU-1)  -> I2S In -> Custom ES9038Pro (2x Sparkos SS3601, 2x Sparkos SS3602) -> Burson Cable+ RCA to RCA -> Yamaha RX-V863 -> Kimber KWIK-12 cable -> Wharfedale Diamond 220's

Headphones: Modded Aune T1 w/ 1963 Amperex Holland 7308 Bugle Boy -> Kenwood Basic C-2 -> Magni 2 -> Audeze EL-8

Burson V5-OPA & V5i Initial Review   |  Hallman Labs (my personal review/build log website)