IGNORED

New Peter Gabriel Music (and video)

On the topic of PG videos, the one posted here is awesome:

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/08/31/peter-gabriel/

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Once and always one of the most innovative yet sensitive musicians and voices out there. We almost named our middle child after him. :) I am a huge PG fan. It's nice to see new music FINALLY!!!!

BTW, I think UP is a gem that is less talked about than his others. Especially amazing in full hirez 5.1 (which he wrote it for).

Cool guys! HUGE PG fan here too (my wife even more so). Have seen him live at least 5 times over the decades, most recently outdoors in Lake Tahoe with Sting (great show). About 2.5 years ago I spend a whole week setting up a seriously bass-capable surround sound system at a local non-profit theatre in our town (has a 4K digital projector) just to host a one-night screening of New Blood: Live in London.

I highly recommend the deluxe version of New Blood. The orchestral arrangements of his tunes are great and the sonics of the disc are likely the best ever for a PG record.

Once and always one of the most innovative yet sensitive musicians and voices out there. We almost named our middle child after him. :) I am a huge PG fan. It's nice to see new music FINALLY!!!!

BTW, I think UP is a gem that is less talked about than his others. Especially amazing in full hirez 5.1 (which he wrote it for).

Couldn't agree more Ted. I've been a huge fan since his Genesis days. I was fortunate to manage to get fourth row center tickets for his original solo tour, once upon a time. Incredibly creative artist, who, in my opinion, has created some of the most lasting, memorable music of the past thirty years.

JC

On the topic of PG videos, the one posted here is awesome:

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2011/08/31/peter-gabriel/

Watched that whole program tonight. Fantastic glimpse into his process in the early years. And I forgot how handsome he was back then (have gotten used to his Uncle Fester look and dress style in recent years ;)).

Thanks very much for sharing that. Can't wait to show it to my wife.

Cool guys! HUGE PG fan here too (my wife even more so). Have seen him live at least 5 times over the decades, most recently outdoors in Lake Tahoe with Sting (great show). About 2.5 years ago I spend a whole week setting up a seriously bass-capable surround sound system at a local non-profit theatre in our town (has a 4K digital projector) just to host a one-night screening of New Blood: Live in London.

I highly recommend the deluxe version of New Blood. The orchestral arrangements of his tunes are great and the sonics of the disc are likely the best ever for a PG record.

Yeah Alex, me too. Was happy to see the tour with Sting this summer as well. The New Blood show with orchestra at Red Rocks was also excellent. But my favorite PG memory is back on the PG III tour, perhaps 1982 or so, in Central Park, NYC so much energy back then.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

But my favorite PG memory is back on the PG III tour, perhaps 1982 or so, in Central Park, NYC so much energy back then.

Man you are really dating yourself--and me--Barrows! ;) I went to a lot of concerts back then (in L.A. and Bay Area), but the ones I remember most were Gabriel, Talking Heads, and Shakti with John McLaughlin--all seen more than once.

And then there was the rather infamous Grateful Dead at the Cow Palace New Years eve 1976. I was just 14 and this 16 year old part-native-American stoner girl I was seriously infatuated with took me all the way up from L.A. with her older boyfriend ("Bear") in his VW van. I can't say I remember much of the concert for various reasons, but I won't ever forget Sue Middy. :)

Man you are really dating yourself--and me--Barrows! ;) I went to a lot of concerts back then (in L.A. and Bay Area), but the ones I remember most were Gabriel, Talking Heads, and Shakti with John McLaughlin--all seen more than once.

Saw PG Live with the New Blood Orchestra in Toronto a few years ago :D

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

About 2.5 years ago I spend a whole week setting up a seriously bass-capable surround sound system at a local non-profit theatre in our town (has a 4K digital projector) just to host a one-night screening of New Blood: Live in London.

Not sure we have the Deluxe edition, but we have it on CD, DVD as well as Blu-Ray.

People were standing during Biko, crying during the song about his father, dancing during 'Solsbury Hill', etc...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Ahh you saw the original Shakti lineup, with Shankar, right? I wish I had seen them, been to lots of Johnny Mac shows, both electric and acoustic, he is still moving forward and searching musically, even now. Such a powerful vibe around that musician, met him on the street after a show in Boulder a few years back, there is a special spark in his eyes.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Ahh you saw the original Shakti lineup, with Shankar, right? I wish I had seen them, been to lots of Johnny Mac shows, both electric and acoustic, he is still moving forward and searching musically, even now. Such a powerful vibe around that musician, met him on the street after a show in Boulder a few years back, there is a special spark in his eyes.

Yes, McLaughlin's eyes are piercing--it is as if he looks inside you. I met him (and L. Shankar and Zakir Hussain) twice backstage. My step-father was West Coast Editor for Downbeat magazine (later a journalistic pioneer in the New Age music scene; much earlier the lead guitarist for Tim Buckley for 10 years), so I got to met a crazy who's-who list of jazz, fusion, and avant-garde greats thought the late '70s--a lot of whom came to our house for interviews (Quincy Jones on our couch!) or I went with him to the L.A. studios where they were recording. MANY stories there...

There is one funny one regards the first time I met McLaughlin--either in Santa Barbara or at the Santa Monica Civic, can't remember which. I was probably just 15 at the time. The concert was mesmerizing (I defy anyone to listen to Handful of Beauty and not get chills and be transported to some "other" place), and I was quite awestruck when I met him.

Anyway, and this is 100% true, after a minute or two (introductions, people all about) he looks at me and asks me "What instrument do you play?"

I've never played any instrument (aside from early fails at flute and guitar), but had already been an audio/music addict for 4 years (worked in the service dept. at Pilot Stereo Center, where I met Robert Hovland after he left Marantz; spent my paycheck on import LPs), so the smart-alec but earnest answer I gave him was just "Ear." He stared at me deeply for a moment and replied: "Well you play it very well."

:)

And then there was the rather infamous Grateful Dead at the Cow Palace New Years eve 1976. I was just 14 and this 16 year old part-native-American stoner girl I was seriously infatuated with took me all the way up from L.A. with her older boyfriend ("Bear") in his VW van. I can't say I remember much of the concert for various reasons, but I won't ever forget Sue Middy. :)

Saw McLaughlin with Shakti/Shankar and will never forget it. Y'know how you sit there playing air guitar and think of the great solos you'd come out with? Well, McLaughlin played faster than I could *think* notes. I thought it might only be noodling for just a second until Shankar started doubling him, and then there were two of them playing quite precisely and at the same time faster than any other human beings I've heard before or since.

But um, actually they weren't the highlight of the evening. They were opening for some guy named Miles....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.