IGNORED

Ethernet cables

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

some people will believe anything - e.g. anti-vaxers, audiophools, assorted placebophiles, etc.

Are you conflating me with an anti-Vaxxer? I think I’m so done with this forum....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Whatever....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

For the record I no longer transcode my compressed flac files to wav for a number of reasons so can’t comment on any sound differences with the microRendu but I know what I heard with the Naim. As far as dB differences go, I too have ‘perceived” a difference between cables, but I think that’s all down to lowered noise and the ability to listen at higher volumes in a non-fatiguing way, and or the music is fleshed out more so sounds “bigger.” But again It must all be in my head...  oh, isn’t that what my ears are connected to? 

I didn’t do a blind test, but all I know is I could easily tell the discernible differences between them, upon repeated swapping, exactly the same each time, and on two different systems. I typically use the beginning of Miles’ “So What” for testing. Mile’s trumpet coming in after the bass lines is quite telling as it’s right on the edge of being unlistenable (due to the engineer running too hot), no matter the system. So how well it gets tamed by whatever I’m introducing tells me what I need. And then after that it all comes together in the recording and so you get first bass, then piano, then drums and then trumpet and then all together. 

Unqualified and delusional? Possibly, but I know what I hear upon repeated listening. And honestly I wish I didn’t because then we wouldn’t be having this argument... er... discussion and it would have saved me some $. 

47 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks.  That is useful information.

Specifically, it seems there was less 'glare' - is that right?

Yep, exactly. 

5 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Yep, exactly. 

Also the bass. The Opal is really bass strong, sometimes almost too much, too bloated - works best with my UQ and Ls50’s which could use a bit of a bump in the bass; the Cinnamon is bass light though the bass is very well detailed, the Ghent, designed by our very own Cornay, seems to pull it altogether. But like I said, these are differences you have to listen to very carefully, and repeatedly, and best if you have two different systems to try them on. Down the chain I really haven’t noticed any differences with better cables - it’s really that last leg to the renderer that makes a difference.

Although a few on here just write it off as snake oil, I’m pretty sure if the manufacturers didn’t hear some kind of difference they wouldn’t bother - they can’t all be charlatans!. Of course YMMV depending on your setup, and your VFM may be entirely different from others. But to entirely write this off as fiction is just ignorance or a stubborn inability to not try something new due to ingrained beliefs. 

Then why is it always referred to as transcoding in minimserver? I guess they and all of their users are putzes too. Thank god I use LMS now. 

And of course it would uncompress the flac in order to make it a wav. Any more pearls you would like to unload on us? 

Well, tiffs and jpegs are something I know about. And before that film speeds, paper grades, and chemistry. And how to align an enlarger. Now I have an Imacon, a $10k scanner that has paid for itself over and over again. This year’s purchase was a Leica M10, therefore the near zero hifi budget. 

I’m not going to get into the semantics game of audio file management though. 

Good for you.... I’m out of this thread.

36 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

@charlesphoto

Suggesting that Ethernet cables could affect the sound quality is akin to suggesting that the SD card used in your camera could affect the quality of the photos.

Ok, out of here soon, but this analogy is totally wrong. More like those on here that can here a difference between hard drives. Many manufacturers use off the shelf sensors, but it’s how they get from the sensor to the card that makes the difference. And Mansr thanks for that on the tiff - jpeg analogy. I thought that was wrong too but just tired of getting beat up. And being referred to as “people like you.” 

As far as glare, it’s more like extra sibilance. Not being an audiophile I’m not always certain of the correct verbiage. Why couldn’t an ethernet cable clean up high impedance noise as well, like the ground shunts? It’s all electrical - those ones and zeros aren’t sprinting there on their own. 

Anyway, I’m very happy with the sound of my setup. Little to do except for a 1.4 board upgrade (probably during our Hawaii vac in Feb). Personally, I think the ear is a lot more subjective than the eye. I think it a shame that “objectivists” feel the need to take the greatest variable out of the equation. When was the last time you had your ears checked and cleaned? 

13 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Not really. Not the image data. Yes, feature sets are different. Buffers may be bigger or smaller. The sensor is everything when it comes to the actual image. Autofocus systems may be faster or slower and better or worse. Exposure control can be different too. But, put the same lens in front of the same sensor on different model cameras and, with same focus, f-stop, and shutter speed, the RAW image with be virtually the same. 

The sensor is king. Without a great sensor, all that other stuff is worthless. Just like all of our great audio gear is worthless without great recordings. 

That is not true. If all things were equal yes, but that is never the case. Manufacturers take the sensor and then tweak the software for output - their special sauce so to speak. The color from the same Sony sensor in a Nikon will result in different colors, etc than one put in one of Sony’s own cameras. The rendering software also makes a difference - Camera One will be different than Lightroom and so on. So lots of variables that happen from light hitting the sensor to ultimate output. Having been a photographer for almost forty years (from the age of 12) this one area I know about. There’s also been a big debate in the past about the look between CCD and CMOS sensors. I prefer the CCD in my M9, though had to move on to the CMOS in M10 as the functionality of the camera is so much better. Some say it’s easy to match the two sensors so no difference. I totally disagree. The CCD in the M9 has a special look like no other that is typically good to go straight out of the camera. My M10 usually needs more work to the file, and my Nikon a lot more work. But man this is a digression. 

44 minutes ago, plissken said:

Can you convert a PNG back to the original .tiff?

Yes.

10 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Most top shelf image sensors today have the ADC built in to the sensor.

Ah that is true. In reality this is a straw argument, because most top end cameras take stock sensor designs and then modify it to their specs (ir thickness etc). Since many come from Sony the likes of Nikon are actually forced to so that they don't compete. I do know that the sensor in the M10 and 240's were purpose built for Leica by smaller companies, the M9 a modified Kodak sensor. I'm still on the D600 which is by Sony. Never had the oil problems with mine. Best, CP

7 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

The D850 has a custom Nikon sensor. Nikon does use Sony sensors in most of their cameras. But they make their own for a select few cameras. 

I’ve always lusted after the pseudo-retro DF but never been able to pull the trigger. 

I don’t know, transcoding seems to be the correct terminology for going from one format to another, whether compressed, uncompressed, lossy, or lossless, whether it be audio or video file. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding

https://www.encoding.com/blog/2013/12/12/whats-difference-encoding-transcoding/

In a nutshell:

encoding: analog to digital conversion

transcoding: digital to digital conversion