IGNORED

HQplayer PCM to DSD, please help a clueless newbie.

Absolutely.

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

Hello Jussi,

I still have this issue of silence after I play some tracks... Anything I can do to help you solve this issue?

Thanks

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

I realized, that PCM settings (left column in settings), such as dither influence the sound of SDM output as well, I set for NS9, for example.

do you think HQP apply the PCM filters and dithers to the files before transforming to DSD ?

curious .

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

I realized, that PCM settings (left column in settings), such as dither influence the sound of SDM output as well, I set for NS9, for example.

do you think HQP apply the PCM filters and dithers to the files before transforming to DSD ?

curious .

I do not know exactly who claimed your quote, but I remember that Miska was in disagreement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Miska,

I just received a Metrum Pavane for evaluation.

What settings do you recommend?

For now I use the same as you recommended for my (temporary) Chord Mojo.

Thanks a million.

I just received a Metrum Pavane for evaluation.

What settings do you recommend?

At least with Musette the closed-form filter seems to be a magic match, but you should of course try the at least poly-sinc family too. I've used TPDF dither, but you can also try noise-shaped dithers too (for example NS9).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thank you so much Miska.

Here are my current settings.Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 6.33.00 PM.png

I find the sound very clean, but lacking "soul". In other words, uninvolving.

I really appreciate your fantastic support.

Thanks you.

• 3 months later...

Dearest Miska,

I finally received my new DAC, an Aqua la Scala MKIII.

PCM wise, I am good, but as always I am very interested in what you recommend.

On the DSD side, I have had no success. It supports DSD128 in DoP.

Your help is very much appreciated.

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, mauro16164 said:

hi Miska,I possess a metrum pavane but I can not set it in a satisfactory manner with hqplayer. this is the current screen. can you help me? why I does not appear hiFacetwo but Musbaudio asio drivers?Cattura.thumb.JPG.0b02188ec9f83354c22e9093f2d70ed0.JPG

What do you mean by not satisfactory manner? At least I recommend leaving "Buffer time" to "Default" when using ASIO drivers and using the (possibly available) ASIO Control Panel of the driver to adjust buffer sizes instead. With WASAPI backend you can set "Buffer time" to 100 ms for starters.

On 11/4/2016 at 4:54 PM, jacques_racine said:

I finally received my new DAC, an Aqua la Scala MKIII.

PCM wise, I am good, but as always I am very interested in what you recommend.

On the DSD side, I have had no success. It supports DSD128 in DoP.

I don't have any specific information about this particular DAC. But what OS are using using and did you select "DoP" as "SDM Pack" method in HQPlayer settings?

20 hours ago, ted_b said:

Nobody seems to care that Mauro16164 is trying to do DSD1024 on 48k sources...in a Pavane?  Or are you guys discounting that cuz it will never be used for this dac?

Well, there is no DSD support in Metrum DACs, so the DSD/SDM settings don't matter...

• 3 months later...

Just setting up the T+A DAC 8 DSD and I'm perplexed that the HQPlayer settings won't let me upsample any higher than DSD 128 (6M1). The bit rate (/Limit) on other poster's screen shot is in the millions. Here's a list of my options: 

32, 44.1 or 48k x 64

32, 44.1 or 48k x 128

32, 44.1 or 48k x 256

32, 44.1 or 48k x 512  

32, 44.1 or 48k x 1024 and 

48k x 250

48k x 500.

None of them get me past 128 DSD. I bought this DAC to experience the 512 DSD I keep reading about. Appreciate any and all help.

Your math is off.  44k x 512 is indeed DSD512 aka 22.579Mhz (and 48k x 512 is the 48k-based version of DSD512).  In fact, your limits show DSD1024, which is not available anyway.

If you still can't play past DSD128 it's your driver (and maybe OS, if Mac).  The T+A DSD8 dac will currently only do DSD512 via Windows ASIO, but T+A and Amanero have "their best people working on it" for a Linux solution (dozens of pasts about it).

I'm running Windows 10 and the driver I downloaded today was from T+A's website. I switched from WASAPI to ASIO and now I can manage 11M2 (DSD256) but there's a little bit of gritty static when songs play. If I try to do 512 there's a ton of static and the songs play slow. I will mention when I played music in DSD128 everything played perfectly and there was a marked improvement with increased air around voices and instruments with more accurate placement on the wonderfully wider and deeper sound stage. This is my 1st day with the T+A. I'll do more serious critiquing after about 200 hours. But I can tell this is going to be a wonderful ride.

I got T+A to reach DSD256 (11M2) but the static is still there. The CPU utilization on my desktop is between 23 - 26% when running only HQ player and the T+A. Actual speeds are between 1.70 & 2.11 GHz (though the max speed the desktop is capable of is 3.20 GHz). The task manager reports use of 4 cores. I have no clue what any of this means because I am NOT computer saavy. Good or bad?

1 minute ago, musicbuff said:

Actual speeds are between 1.70 & 2.11 GHz (though the max speed the desktop is capable of is 3.20 GHz).

Have you tried switching to the High Performance power plan?  Go to Power & Sleep settings ==> Additional power settings ==> Show additional plans and you will find it.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Much better in DSD256, thanks rickca! Still when I try DSD512 the computer's CPU operates at about 50% with some HQP settings but still slower than normal and with a moderate amount of static. So I guess I won't be listening to DSD512 until I get a more powerful computer and that's not happening any time soon. Not sad though, DSD256 is phenomenal in its own right.

37 minutes ago, musicbuff said:

Much better in DSD256, thanks rickca! Still when I try DSD512 the computer's CPU operates at about 50% with some HQP settings but still slower than normal and with a moderate amount of static. So I guess I won't be listening to DSD512 until I get a more powerful computer and that's not happening any time soon. Not sad though, DSD256 is phenomenal in its own right.

Sometimes there is a static (if we speak about the same thing) when new album starts to play, which goes away after restarting HQP.