IGNORED

Server ideas for MicroRendu?

Thanks for your great insight Cebolla. Not to beat a dead horse but where do you think makes the most sense to run BubbleUPnP Server - the MicroRendu or the NAS? Or pick the third option of proxy streaming from my Android device? If I had the MicroRendu already I would try all three to see for myself. Which do you prefer or find has more of an advantage?
I think the ideal place for the BubbleUPnP Server is actually given away by its name, so a server device running server type software which lends itself naturally to the NAS. The internal MicroRendu placement of it is just a convenience for those that can't install it on another machine on the network. I would certainly opt for installing it on the NAS if I had the choice, as that would free it from directly using resources on the MicroRendu and any possible interferance with its production of the digital audio signal to the DAC

Also given the choice, I'd use the BubbleUPnP Server than not, so freeing the Android device from proxying Tidal as well getting the benefit of one of its other UPnP helper functions, OpenHome emulation.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

This may sound a bit petty or not well founded but the idea of the shared bus between ethernet and USB bothers me, especially in a NAS style configuration.
Let me assure you those claims are exaggerated. FLAC/WAV and even 4K video is well within the b/w requirements of the shared ethernet and USB on the Pi. Not an issue in anyway, especially for music. I even transcode on the fly with the Pi, absolutely no issues, and I've been using it for over 6 months now.

That said I'd not use the Pi for strictly a NAS setting. Transferring huge volumes of data will take a long time as its limited to 60 mbps or thereabouts.

+1

Also, we're not talking here about connecting a USB DAC to that shared bus using the Pi as a renderer similar to the MicroRendu. It'll just be a UPnP media server, ie a supplier of music files over the network, with no actual involvent in the process of decoding and playing of music files to produce the digital audio signal for the DAC.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks guys, this feedback is just what I needed. I think I'm going to start off with a NAS then and use the MicroRendu with MinimServer and BubbleUPnP. Seems tried and true, plus I'm wanting to focus on using my DAC's internal filter so no oversampling needed as of now. I can always build a server down the road for HQ Player and still use the NAS.

Is there any way to easily get Tidal playing nicely in this configuration?

If you go for a Synology NAS, use their native apps for streaming. MinimServer is only uPnP and does not support DLNA while the native Synology apps do support this. You may have some streamers at home that do not support uPnP like for example the Denon HEOS series. Using only one server on the NAS keeps things light.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

This sounds great! So please help keep me straight in regards to Tidal in this configuration... What route is the Tidal stream taking starting at my internet connection? The BubbleUPnP app is still just the controller correct?

Yes.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

If you go for a Synology NAS, use their native apps for streaming. MinimServer is only uPnP and does not support DLNA while the native Synology apps do support this. You may have some streamers at home that do not support uPnP like for example the Denon HEOS series. Using only one server on the NAS keeps things light.

Thanks Pepsican... interesting advice, I'm so used to the overwhelmingly positive comments about using Minimserver. Note that I'm the only person in my household that listens to music, this NAS would only be serving my 2 channel system in one room - no other systems in the house. It would only serve to a single Microrendu, no other renderers. I thought Minimserver + the BubbleUPnP app would be the simplest solution with no perceived negative effect on SQ. Looks like I'll be running BubbleUPnP Server as well to get Tidal playing.

I'm not set on Synology quite yet, I'm looking at a comparable QNAP model as well but it will be one of the two. I'm close to being set on using a NAS, just kicking the tires on my options a little more while I wait for MicroRendu. I must say during me research I keep coming back around to using a NAS, it seems the most cost effective solution.

Does anybody have any thoughts on using a Mac Mini as a NAS/server for the MicroRendu vs a Synology or QNap? My music library is not so large that I need 2 or 4 drives as would be used in a traditional NAS.

That would be a fine solution. Just install and configure MinimServer and you'd be good to go.

You may want to consider storing your music on an external drive with built in RAID, like a WD My Book Duo. If one drive fails you can keep listening to music, which is a benefit you'd get from a NAS. Additionally back this up to another drive using Time Machine.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Does anybody have any thoughts on using a Mac Mini as a NAS/server for the MicroRendu vs a Synology or QNap? My music library is not so large that I need 2 or 4 drives as would be used in a traditional NAS.

No idea about the MicroRendu, but I'm assuming its a small SOC/SBC with an OS/Linux install? The same as Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, CuBox?

In that case why do you need a PC/laptop/Mac at all? Just plug in an externally powered HDD and it should work fine. I've used the Raspberry Pi with an externally powered HDD and it works fine. I've since swapped the external HDD with a Synology... but never had any issues with it.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

@master - merely an FYI, the microRendu does not support external USB storage devices. One ethernet input in, one USB output out. Lean and mean.

Many options on how to use it, either with or without a computer. Depending on how you wish to manage music playback you could use just a NAS running Minimserver for example, or a Mac Mini with suitable storage capacity running Minimserver (just one example to a previous query )

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

No idea about the MicroRendu, but I'm assuming its a small SOC/SBC with an OS/Linux install? The same as Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, CuBox?

In that case why do you need a PC/laptop/Mac at all? Just plug in an externally powered HDD and it should work fine. I've used the Raspberry Pi with an externally powered HDD and it works fine. I've since swapped the external HDD with a Synology... but never had any issues with it.

You've got it more or less but it's an ethernet to USB renderer.

EDIT: baddog beat me to it :-)

@baddog & @jumper - Thanks for the FYI.

PS: I always wanted to test the Pi via ethernet too, as in external HDD plugged into router. FWIW my smart router also has the option of UPnP/DLNA media server, but it was never as easy as the Pi + MinimServer.

Might make for an interesting test though... ethernet only streamer/renderer.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks Pepsican... interesting advice, I'm so used to the overwhelmingly positive comments about using Minimserver. Note that I'm the only person in my household that listens to music, this NAS would only be serving my 2 channel system in one room - no other systems in the house. It would only serve to a single Microrendu, no other renderers. I thought Minimserver + the BubbleUPnP app would be the simplest solution with no perceived negative effect on SQ. Looks like I'll be running BubbleUPnP Server as well to get Tidal playing.

I'm not set on Synology quite yet, I'm looking at a comparable QNAP model as well but it will be one of the two. I'm close to being set on using a NAS, just kicking the tires on my options a little more while I wait for MicroRendu. I must say during me research I keep coming back around to using a NAS, it seems the most cost effective solution.

A NAS is flexible and scalable. In my household I am far from the only music listener. I may stream music on my hi-fi channel while my wife does the same in the kitchen. So, for us a networked storage was the only way forward. And at some point soon, my daughters will get the hang of using streamers in the house as well and want to listen to their own music.

The NAS including drives is cheaper than the Mac without disk expansions (the standard drive will be full in no time with lossless files). Also, if you run a network at home with multiple OS-es, then having a Mac as a NAS will seriously p!ss off the Windows users in your home.

Don't forget that the NAS can do other chores as well. It serves as a file server so I can read files on all my iDevices. And it also is the central repository for photographs (goodbye duplicates, hello photos I've never seen before because they were hidden on my wife's phone and laptop).

If you re-use a MAc, then it is a different matter.

Hmh what exactly do you mean?

I have a Synology NAS and have three servers installed on it besides the basic Synology Media Server. Those are the servers from Minim, Bubble and Logitech.

Out of these four the Minimserver works best with either the Android Bubble or Naim apps I use. These apps offer a lot more opportunities compared to the rather basic Synology app imo.

One big advantage of the Minimserver is its capability to show all cover art razor sharp whereas all other servers fail to do so. Another advantage is Minims capability to be easily configured in order to stream all flac files as .wav-files instead (being it 16/44 or (up to) 24/192 resolution files).

I'm looking for some ideas as to what I should use as a server for the upcoming MicroRendu. I have some 96/24 and 192/24 hi res material from HD Tracks but mainly Redbook rips. I haven't gotten into upsampling to DSD yet so my intentions were to keep things simple and serve PCM files using something like Minimserver. I'd like to get a server for my library (previously stored on a PC) but there are so many choices and options: NAS, build a PC, build a file server, mini pc (fitlet, NUC, RPi, etc), Mac mini, laptop, etc. What are some of your preferences for a system like this?

Note: I do have an UpTone JS-2 to power my DAC and MicroRendu but if I pick a server that runs on 12v I would have the future option of powering it with the JS-2.

Here is a good place to start:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/roonify-your-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-drive-or-network-attached-storage-sonictransporter-28288/

Thanks Jesus, the SonicOrbiter looks great. I see Andrew lists a bundle with it and the MicroRendu - does he have MicroRendu inventory? I wouldn't think so but just asking, plus it doesn't look like there is anything stopping a customer from ordering the bundle

Just bumping this to see if anybody else has opinions on the new SonicTransporter... Tough request, I know, since it is brand new. But at least conceptually I prefer it vs. a NAS. Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Entirely different devices. This will still need a NAS or at the very least an external HDD with the music files.

Then again not every NAS lets you install all s/w... so you might end up needing a PC, laptop, Mac Mini, etc. connected to the NAS.

This particular device is all about Roon, so you'd need to decide based on how important Roon is in your daily playing.

Hmh what exactly do you mean?

I have a Synology NAS and have three servers installed on it besides the basic Synology Media Server. Those are the servers from Minim, Bubble and Logitech.

Out of these four the Minimserver works best with either the Android Bubble or Naim apps I use. These apps offer a lot more opportunities compared to the rather basic Synology app imo.

One big advantage of the Minimserver is its capability to show all cover art razor sharp whereas all other servers fail to do so. Another advantage is Minims capability to be easily configured in order to stream all flac files as .wav-files instead (being it 16/44 or (up to) 24/192 resolution files).

What I mean is that Minim Server does not support DLNA. If you have streamers in the house that only spport DLNA or only run a proprietary protocol, then you'll need a second server next to Minim. As a NAS is typically a low power devices, it pays to make do with a minimal number of apps running on the NAS. Although Minim does indeed have great features, it does not cover all the protocols.

Bubble and Naim support uPnP. But Denon and Marantz for example, do not.

I am considering the sonictransporter/microRendu bundle. My library is currently on an external HD managed by iTunes on Mac mini. I was also thinking about combining this with the Audiophile Vortexbox(minus the USB card) so that I could rip CD's directly to the storage. Anyone thoughts on this combo? Does anyone know if you can transfer files from an external HD or a site like HD tracks to the Audiophile Vortexbox?