IGNORED

Basic Synology Upnp DLNA questions

Certainly makes sense. If you had the time and inclination, the next stage would be to completely reset the NAS (so includes its operating system and associated software) and fully test UPnP. Next, introduce your own setup piece by piece, each time checking to see if UPnP still works properly. Laborious, I know, but at least you'd have a far greater chance of identifying what UPnP is not happy with on your particular NAS.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

+ exchange your LAN cable from router to NAS and assign fix IP to NAS within your router, do it in steps and test if it helped after each step as Cebolla mentioned, if none of this help your NAS might be faulty...(I doubt but...)

In troubleshooting, if you run into a problem that doesn't make sense, the best step is always to swap using a known good. The Buffalo NAS doesn't fit that category because its a different manufacturer and most likely is running an out of date implementation of UPNP... I hardly ever see SW updates for my Buffalo NAS vs updates available about every 45 days for the Synology NAS OS and apps.

Best approach would be if you had a friend who does have a working Synology NAS for UPNP use and to try yours in their network... if it works, then the problem is in your home network , if it can't be made to work beside their working NAS then I'd say there is a defect in the NAS.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

+ exchange your LAN cable from router to NAS and assign fix IP to NAS within your router, do it in steps and test if it helped after each step as Cebolla mentioned, if none of this help your NAS might be faulty...(I doubt but...)

Thanks. I can swap cables between the Buffalo, which continues to perform like a star, and the Synology, which continues to be spotty, and I might even reset the Synology as Cebolla sets. The IP address isn't an issue: The first thing that I do when I set up a network device that allows it is to create a static IP, so both the Buffalo and Synology units and many of my players are on static IP.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

In troubleshooting, if you run into a problem that doesn't make sense, the best step is always to swap using a known good. The Buffalo NAS doesn't fit that category because its a different manufacturer and most likely is running an out of date implementation of UPNP... I hardly ever see SW updates for my Buffalo NAS vs updates available about every 45 days for the Synology NAS OS and apps.

Best approach would be if you had a friend who does have a working Synology NAS for UPNP use and to try yours in their network... if it works, then the problem is in your home network , if it can't be made to work beside their working NAS then I'd say there is a defect in the NAS.

Hey, I am 65. Not only do my friends not own Synology NAS devices, they routinely respond with "What's a NAS?" if I even mention my network stuff in conversation. Good suggestion, though.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Dave

I agree, it is possible for the older UPnP/DLNA media server in the Buffalo NAS to be misbehaving, eg flooding the network with UPnP discovery alive mesages, so giving the network the semblance of not being at fault. However, Mike did also mention that other ethernet cable attached devices (Dell computer & Vortexbox) with installed UPnP/DLNA media servers are also being discovered without issue, see post #14 & my reply #15:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/basic-synology-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-questions-28075/#post527648

The devices are running much newer and well supported media server applications, so all 'known good': Plex, Logitech Media Server and especially the same latest version of MinimServer that was also in the Synology NAS.

These devices having no UPnP/DLNA discovery issues therefore makes a problem with the network less likely.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Dave

I agree, it is possible for the older UPnP/DLNA media server in the Buffalo NAS to be misbehaving, eg flooding the network with UPnP discovery alive mesages, so giving the network the semblance of not being at fault. However, Mike did also mention that other ethernet cable attached devices (Dell computer & Vortexbox) with installed UPnP/DLNA media servers are also being discovered without issue, see post #14 & my reply #15:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/basic-synology-universal-plug-dplay-digital-living-network-alliance-questions-28075/#post527648

The devices are running much newer and well supported media server applications, so all 'known good': Plex, Logitech Media Server and especially the same latest version of MinimServer that was also in the Synology NAS.

These devices having no UPnP/DLNA discovery issues therefore makes a problem with the network less likely.

Thank you, sir. I was having the same thoughts, but who knows?

I have been in touch with Synology. Without mentioning which router it is, Synology customer support stated that there are known issues with at least one router. They asked for the model number of the router that I use (an ASUS RT-AC87R), but I haven't gotten confirmation whether that might be the one router that doesn't play nicely with this device.

Most recently, the Synology Media Server has been showing up pretty quickly, i.e., within a minute or two of the Buffalo NAS server which shows up as soon as I open the controller app. Sometimes, its BubbleUpnP server proxy also shows up. Rarely do the LMS or Minimserver or their proxies show up at all. On the player side, the BubbleUpnP server-created OpenHome players only rarely show up on the BubbleUpnP control app, but, even when they do, they are not discoverable by Kazoo on Android or iPad or by Bubble DS Next on Android. The bad part about this is that the Synology Media Server database is not searchable like the LMS and Minimserver products' databases are.

Good thing that UpnP/DLNA is the protocol on which I depend least and that I have duplicate servers on my computer and vortexbox. When I need UPnP because other things don't work (on Amazon Fire TV Stick or my Oppo Blu-Ray player), I can rely on the other servers. I mostly am making an issue of this because I dislike owning expensive products that aren't working as they are supposed to be.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Just got around to reading the Absolute Sound. There is a review of a Linn networked integrated amp in the issue. The reviewer says this:

"I did have some initial setup issues caused by connection glitches between my Synology NAS and the Majik DSM. Linn recommends the QNAP brand of NAS, and during the first couple of weeks I used a loaner QNAP before I broke down and bought one of my own, after which I had no additional connection issues. The only additional bit of computer weirdness occurred when I initially activated Linn Kazoo via my MacBook portable after sleep mode; it couldn't find the Majik DSM until I went into my Macbook wifi connection panel and designated the 5.6 mhz wifi mode instead of the 2.6. Once changed, everything connected as expected."

With thus in mind, I conclude that I might need to tweak the ipad settings so that it is on the 5.6 band at all times. Maybe I also ought to forget about the OpenHome option using Bubbleupnp Server, as it appears there might be issues with the Synology implementation of that protocol.

Just got around to reading the Absolute Sound May/June issue. There is a review of a Linn networked integrated amp in the issue. The reviewer says this:

"I did have some initial setup issues caused by connection glitches between my Synology NAS and the Majik DSM. Linn recommends the QNAP brand of NAS, and during the first couple of weeks I used a loaner QNAP before I broke down and bought one of my own, after which I had no additional connection issues. The only additional bit of computer weirdness occurred when I initially activated Linn Kazoo via my MacBook portable after sleep mode; it couldn't find the Majik DSM until I went into my Macbook wifi connection panel and designated the 5.6 mhz wifi mode instead of the 2.6. Once changed, everything connected as expected."

With this in mind, I conclude that I might need to tweak the ipad settings so that it is on the 5.6 band at all times. Maybe I also ought to forget about the OpenHome option using Bubbleupnp Server, as it appears there might be issues with the Synology implementation of that protocol (not that the more-conventional Kinsky works so well with the Synology, either).

as I mentioned in other thread the best way is to isolate variables such as several devices linked all together through several stages of systems and routers/switchers so maybe it'll be your case as well and not limited to setting of each device.

first of all make sure your java8 plugin is latest version on your Synology, if you click on the icon there should be info and upgrade button, current latest version is 1.8.0_91, if you don't have it download latest version (8u91) from orackle site Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads (file called Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI)

install it according to instruction....

next step is re-install of minimserver, once done just add it as music server again in your bubbleupnp app on your synology

next step is to disconnect all not necessary devices of your network (everything except synology NAS, 1 streamer, 1 DAC and 1 ipad) , all of those 4 remaining devices should be linked into (one) same router (DAC to your streamer of course)

next step is to make sure bubbleupnp app sees and has set your devices and minimserver, if not add/set it up according to earlier instructions...

once done you should be able to see your minimserver and streamer in your Lumin app on your iPad, make sure your iPad is running on 5Ghz wifi...

if it doesn't running properly report back your findings but do not connect to this configuration any other devices until all troubleshooting's resolved

as I mentioned in other thread the best way is to isolate variables such as several devices linked all together through several stages of systems and routers/switchers so maybe it'll be your case as well and not limited to setting of each device.

first of all make sure your java8 plugin is latest version on your Synology, if you click on the icon there should be info and upgrade button, current latest version is 1.8.0_91, if you don't have it download latest version (8u91) from orackle site Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads (file called Linux ARM 32 Hard Float ABI)

install it according to instruction....

next step is re-install of minimserver, once done just add it as music server again in your bubbleupnp app on your synology

next step is to disconnect all not necessary devices of your network (everything except synology NAS, 1 streamer, 1 DAC and 1 ipad) , all of those 4 remaining devices should be linked into (one) same router (DAC to your streamer of course)

next step is to make sure bubbleupnp app sees and has set your devices and minimserver, if not add/set it up according to earlier instructions...

once done you should be able to see your minimserver and streamer in your Lumin app on your iPad, make sure your iPad is running on 5Ghz wifi...

if it doesn't running properly report back your findings but do not connect to this configuration any other devices until all troubleshooting's resolved

Thanks for the specific instructions. There are many networked devices connected through the same router, including my wife's PC and her iPad. I'll have to test this at a time when she doesn't need to use either.

This is pretty strange, but the problem suddenly seems to have solved itself completely and I have no idea why. Synology updated the DSM software a few days ago, but there was no improvement for a day or two after that, so I don't assume that was what made the difference.

In any event, Synology Media Server, Minimserver, and LMS all are being discovered immediately by each of the DLNA and DSM controllers that I use on the Android, iOS, and Windows devices (just as quickly as the Buffalo is), both of in the their own right and as Bubbleupnp Server-created proxies, and BubbleDS Next, Kazoo, and even Lumin are seeing the OpenHome renderers that Bubbleupnp Server creates. There are some playback anomalies in specific server-renderer combinations but I have been able to work around them using other combinations when I wanted to use a particular renderer for listening.

I made no changes to network or any device's configuration after doing the Synology update. Things might get wonky again after I next restart the router or Synology, but, for the moment, I am quite surprised and pleased.

This is pretty strange, but the problem suddenly seems to have solved itself completely and I have no idea why. Synology updated the DSM software a few days ago, but there was no improvement for a day or two after that, so I don't assume that was what made the difference.

In any event, Synology Media Server, Minimserver, and LMS all are being discovered immediately by each of the DLNA and DSM controllers that I use on the Android, iOS, and Windows devices (just as quickly as the Buffalo is), both of in the their own right and as Bubbleupnp Server-created proxies, and BubbleDS Next, Kazoo, and even Lumin are seeing the OpenHome renderers that Bubbleupnp Server creates. There are some playback anomalies in specific server-renderer combinations but I have been able to work around them using other combinations when I wanted to use a particular renderer for listening.

I made no changes to network or any device's configuration after doing the Synology update. Things might get wonky again after I next restart the router or Synology, but, for the moment, I am quite surprised and pleased.

mike,

i don't know if you mentioned this earlier in the thread, but why are you running synology media server, lms, and minimserver on your nas? why not shut off synology media server and lms? do you have devices that rely on those (maybe the dell servers you mentioned)?

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
mike,

i don't know if you mentioned this earlier in the thread, but why are you running synology media server, lms, and minimserver on your nas? why not shut off synology media server and lms? do you have devices that rely on those (maybe the dell servers you mentioned)?

Well, that's a fair question. With my old generally-unmodifiable Buffalo, I just ran the Twonky DLNA server that was the "media server" on that device, so I expected that I would run the Synology equivalent as my main DLNA server when I bought that device. Unfortunately, once I got the Synology Media Server installed, I found it only can be browsed and not searched. With more than 2tb of music, that just doesn't get it for me.

I also decided to get the Synology because I use LMS to serve to a Squeezebox in my living room and, with the Buffalo, I always had to keep my computer on if I wanted to stream files to the Squeezbox using LMS. Since LMS could be installed on the Synology directly, I figured I could serve to the Touch even when the computer was off. I indeed have been able to do that. (Both the computer and the NAS use the NAS' files for the database.) So, that was the reason for running the LMS as well as the Synology Media Center.

I added Minimserver only when I couldn't get the other two to show up on the DLNA pick lists reliably. Once I got all three running, I found that I could search Minimserver, so I am inclined to keep it rather than Synology Media Server.

Now that everything is running okay, I probably will cut back just to LMS and Minimserver at some point. My next task is to stop these applications from indexing music that's in the recycle bin because I embedded cover art in the FLAC or mp3 files.

And so they did get wonky. I had to reboot the NAS for another OS update and, shortly after that, my router because it periodically wants to be rebooted. Now, NOTHING shows up as a DLNA server on the Synology, including Synology's own Media Server app. I've temporarily uninstalled Minimserver, Bubbleupnp Server, and LMS, hoping at least to get the Synology app running as intended. If I can't, I will contact Synology Tech Support, since that app is supported by Synology and not its vendor.

In the meantime, the Buffalo keeps chugging along. Its media server pops on to the controller pick list instantaneously. If you can live with the device's lack of extensability, I would think the Buffalo would make a better DLNA media server than does the Synology. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Kazoo, for about two minutes, discovered my servers and one of my renderers, before losing contact with both. I can understand its appeal. It's really a beautiful interface.

Happens all the time. But here if I enter settings and get out the room and library are again available...

Linn needs to improve this and the heavy use of resources.

Happens all the time. But here if I enter settings and get out the room and library are again available...

Linn needs to improve this and the heavy use of resources.

I have similar problems (mentioned in another thread) but it relates to renderers and not media servers:

'I was able to install the BubbleUpNp.spk on my NAS and accessed setup via web browser NAS IP:58050 port.

To create a proxy was not a problem if this is needed.

My problem arised when I tried to select the uPnP renderer for migration to OpenHome.

The creation process itself was not the problem (worked well), but not all my renderers on my LAN were visible for selection as the OH renderer of choice for creation. Those same renderers was properly announced through other apps. The only one visible was my Vieira TV in addition to the 2 OH renderers already present.

I thought all my uPnP renderers would show up, e.g. Olive One renderer on the same LAN.

Any ideas?

It could be that my conceptual understanding is somewhat limited.'