IGNORED

Basic Synology Upnp DLNA questions

I just replaced a Buffalo LS421DE with a Synology DS216+. I had no major issues with the Buffalo but needed to increase the hdd capacity behind 4tb per drive and Buffalo does not support that capacity officially. The Synology also offered greater horsepower and native LMS and Plex support.

In comparison to the Synology, the Buffalo was a simple, if not primitive, device. It seemingly has fewer options and supported applications. That is not a bad thing, to this extent: its media server, without doing a thing beyond scanning the library, showed up routinely as a server on all my controller apps.

In contrast, the Synology seems to require me to specify which DLNA clients it can reach, the subspecies of DLNA each uses, and seemingly more. Even when I do that, however, none of my controllers - 8player, vlc, Plugplayer, Arkmc, BubbleUPnP - can see the NAS at all or, if it does, literally for just a minute and without ever playing any music.

I reviewed Synology's forums, found nothing helpful, and contacted their tech support. The Synology recommendation was that I use the Synology mobile apps and not stress over the media server itself. Those apps work fine on my phones and tablets, but they aren't available for the Amazon Fire TV Stick and my Vortexbox.

I wonder if there is something that I need to do on my router to make the NAS available - something I never had to do with the Buffalo. I am confident that I have the DSM settings for DLNA set correctly.

Frankly, DLNA functionality is not a big deal, since I don't really need to use a Upnp DLNA controller that often, but I do want to be certain that my device works as intended. I know Synology devices are popular with CA readers. I can't imagine that DLNA failures are routine with these devices, as I otherwise would find discussion of them all over the Internet, so I wonder what you all are doing that I am failing to do.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Have you installed Java 8, minimserver and BubbleUPnP Server onto the Synology? The latter will allow for OpenHome controller compatibility. Java is needed for minimserver to work correctly. Good support on minimserver's forum if you have trouble getting it running.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I did those things, yes, although I since have uninstalled minimserver because it also was undetected by the mobile apps and the controller app that I needed to run on my computer. I have Bubbleupnp Server on the Synology. I couldn't get it configured so it would pass the Internet access test, but it does allow the occasional appearance of the Media Server and Logitech on the Bubbleupnp app on the mobile devices when they are on the local network, either in their own right or by proxy. Unfortunately, they disappear from the mobile devices quite quickly and never have shown up on the Amazon Fire Stick TV.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

I did those things, yes, although I since have uninstalled minimserver because it also was undetected by the mobile apps and the controller app that I needed to run on my computer. I have Bubbleupnp Server on the Synology. I couldn't get it configured so it would pass the Internet access test, but it does allow the occasional appearance of the Media Server and Logitech on the Bubbleupnp app on the mobile devices when they are on the local network, either in their own right or by proxy. Unfortunately, they disappear from the mobile devices quite quickly and never have shown up on the Amazon Fire Stick TV.

With an update to the Synology DSM firmware 6.0-7321 last week, my BubbleuPnP/Minimserver/OH setup stopped functioning on my Synology DS1813+. For me, it was the issue of uninstalling Java 7 and having the correct version of Java 8 installed. I got it working with v8 upgrade 77, which shows itself in Synology package center as 8.0.60-0010. The BubbleuPnP team wrote me that there are both an OpenJDK and an Oracle version of Java and you need to use the Oracle version to get the http/https network to work. I assume you aren't trying to control on an iOS device, as BubbleuPnP functions only on Android. I have a separate Android tablet I bought just for that use at home. All functioning perfectly again after getting the right Java 8 installed. JCR

jrobbins, thanks. I do have that version of Java installed and the BubbleUpnP Android client actually *sometimes* lets me see the named Synology servers on Android devices. Then, again, sometimes it doesn't. I occasionally also see the same servers in 8player on the iPad. I can get media to play on the iPad itself using that app, but it's a player, not a controller, so I can't get the signal to the Fire TV stick, for example.

As for the http/https functionality, I tried to follow the instructions in the Troubleshooting section of BubbleUpnP's web page with no success, but I am not inclined to spend a lot of time troubleshooting as I don't really need that kind of access often. I assume the Java 8 version on Synology's interface is the necessary Oracle one?

As so often with software problems, the a fresh install often solves the issue without ever fully knowing what went wrong. So if nobody else brings a good next step, I'd suggest in this order:

- factory reset the Synology.

- first update the DSM package to the latest 6.0 (which just came out last week)

- do minimal changes to DSM. Don't install other programs, setup hibernation, extra users etc.

- install the Java 8 upgrade (When I tried this last week from Package Center it didn't install the latest version!) I found it manually on Mimimserver's website, the page "Downloading Java" Make sure to download the Linux version. Download it to your mac or windows pc and then on Synology's Package Center choose "Manual Install" and browse to install the file just downloaded onto your computer.

- install BubbleUPnP Server

- confirm that the internet test works, if not, troubleshoot from there.

Sort of a tangential rabbithole, but if you have a mac you can try downloading Openhome Player onto it, installing Minimserver on the Synology and test using Linn Kazoo or Lumin (OpenHome compatible iPad control points), that would at least confirm the Synology itself and Java 8 aren't the problem. For this to work, you must mount the drive on the mac where the music library is (just open Finder and click on the Synology's folder for your music), then doubleclick on OpenHome Player, which should put an oval icon in the top bar. Then from the iPad run a control point and select the UPnP (Synology) as your player(it will be the only choice) if it doesn't load automatically.

Good luck.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

sbank, thanks. My Mac bit the dust after half a dozen years of service (and with hundreds of dollars of software in Pure Music, Decibel, and Audirvana installed on it) and I've never replaced it, so I only have Windows machines now. Even with a Windows machine, however, I can undertake the steps in the first half of your post. I appreciate the assistance.

BTW, I just read the installation instructions for minimserver, which I will try to install again. The notes about Java8 suggest that I'd need the Oracle Java if I had an ARM-based Synology, but mine has an Intel processor, so the DSM 6.0 version should work fine. If there's an issue, however, I might "downgrade" to the Oracle version, but, for now, I will stick with the default in that department.

I just replaced a Buffalo LS421DE with a Synology DS216+. I had no major issues with the Buffalo but needed to increase the hdd capacity behind 4tb per drive and Buffalo does not support that capacity officially. The Synology also offered greater horsepower and native LMS and Plex support.

In comparison to the Synology, the Buffalo was a simple, if not primitive, device. It seemingly has fewer options and supported applications. That is not a bad thing, to this extent: its media server, without doing a thing beyond scanning the library, showed up routinely as a server on all my controller apps.

In contrast, the Synology seems to require me to specify which DLNA clients it can reach, the subspecies of DLNA each uses, and seemingly more. Even when I do that, however, none of my controllers - 8player, vlc, Plugplayer, Arkmc, BubbleUPnP - can see the NAS at all or, if it does, literally for just a minute and without ever playing any music.

I reviewed Synology's forums, found nothing helpful, and contacted their tech support. The Synology recommendation was that I use the Synology mobile apps and not stress over the media server itself. Those apps work fine on my phones and tablets, but they aren't available for the Amazon Fire TV Stick and my Vortexbox.

I wonder if there is something that I need to do on my router to make the NAS available - something I never had to do with the Buffalo. I am confident that I have the DSM settings for DLNA set correctly.

Frankly, DLNA functionality is not a big deal, since I don't really need to use a Upnp DLNA controller that often, but I do want to be certain that my device works as intended. I know Synology devices are popular with CA readers. I can't imagine that DLNA failures are routine with these devices, as I otherwise would find discussion of them all over the Internet, so I wonder what you all are doing that I am failing to do.

1) Is your NAS directly connected to your router or are you operating it behind a switch attached to the router? If not directly connected, plug it in directly and see if the problem disappears

2) Control panel, file services; Do you have windows and mac file services enabled?

3) shared folder (music) permissions: is guest enabled for read access?

4) I do remember having a problem where my Internet provider router settings had to be changed to allow multicast but

can't recall if that was for UPNP or video

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1) Is your NAS directly connected to your router or are you operating it behind a switch attached to the router? If not directly connected, plug it in directly and see if the problem disappears

2) Control panel, file services; Do you have windows and mac file services enabled?

3) shared folder (music) permissions: is guest enabled for read access?

4) I do remember having a problem where my Internet provider router settings had to be changed to allow multicast but

can't recall if that was for UPNP or video

Dave, thanks for these thoughts. Yes, the NAS is connected directly to the router, both Windows and Mac file services are enabled, and the shared music folder has guest enabled for both read and write. I searched for information about my router's mulitcast settings, but came up dry; is there a different way to refer to that function that might yield some results?

It's likely that your issue is to do with your router not forwarding multicast packets properly, as Dave has pointed out. UPnP devices use IGMP multicast to implement discovery.

A common issue with affected wireless routers is to have UPnP discovery fail due to IGMP multicast packets not being forwarded across the wired/wireless portions of the network, such that the wired UPnP supporting devices can't see the wirelessly connected ones and vice versa. This could explain the UPnP/DLNA controller apps running on wireless devices not seeing the UPnP/DLNA media server running on the NAS connected to the network by ethernet cable.

If you can't find a multicast setting, some routers refer to it as IGMP. Also, in some cases switching off the router's IGMP snooping setting, if it has one, cures the problem. Misbehaving routers typically don't correctly implement IGMP snooping (normally used to filter out unnecessary multicast traffic).

BTW, what make/model router are you using, is it ISP supplied & is its firmware up to date?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

It's likely that your issue is to do with your router not forwarding multicast packets properly, as Dave has pointed out. UPnP devices use IGMP multicast to implement discovery.

A common issue with affected wireless routers is to have UPnP discovery fail due to IGMP multicast packets not being forwarded across the wired/wireless portions of the network, such that the wired UPnP supporting devices can't see the wirelessly connected ones and vice versa. This could explain the UPnP/DLNA controller apps running on wireless devices not seeing the UPnP/DLNA media server running on the NAS connected to the network by ethernet cable.

If you can't find a multicast setting, some routers refer to it as IGMP. Also, in some cases switching off the router's IGMP snooping setting, if it has one, cures the problem. Misbehaving routers typically don't correctly implement IGMP snooping (normally used to filter out unnecessary multicast traffic).

BTW, what make/model router are you using, is it ISP supplied & is its firmware up to date?

Very interesting stuff. Thank you for this. I didn't know that many routers had issues like this with IGMP. I would've never thought to look at the router...

Thanks for this. It's an ASUS RT-AC87R. It's not supplied by my ISP, which is Comcast, and its firmware definitely is up to date. IGMP snooping actually is disabled, I see. I will switch it on and see if that makes a difference, although it sounds as though I'd be better off with it disabled.

I am surprised it would be the router at fault here, though. This Synology replaces a Buffalo LS421DE and I had ZERO issues with UPnP/DLNA at all with that NAS when using this router with it.

Thanks for this. It's an ASUS RT-AC87R. It's not supplied by my ISP, which is Comcast, and its firmware definitely is up to date. IGMP snooping actually is disabled, I see. I will switch it on and see if that makes a difference, although it sounds as though I'd be better off with it disabled.

I am surprised it would be the router at fault here, though. This Synology replaces a Buffalo LS421DE and I had ZERO issues with UPnP/DLNA at all with that NAS when using this router with it.

Changing the IGMP snooping from "Disabled" to "Enabled" has no effect.

One other thing that I haven't mentioned, but that now is relevant in light of the comments about router setup: I am running Plex servers on both my desktop Dell and my Vortexbox server, LMS on both, and Minimserver on the latter. All are on the same network and run on the same router as the Synology. No trouble at all in finding those as UPnP/DLNA sources using any of the UPnP/DLNA applications. The only variables introduced to the system are the Synology and its applications.

Yes, that certainly does make a muliticast UPnP discovery packets issue with router unlikely, assuming the desktop computer and the Vortexbox are connected to the network by wire (as you'd normally expect them to be). Until you mentioned that, the anomally with the Buffalo NAS's UPnP/DLNA media server could be explained by it misbehaving, repeatedly sending UPnP discovery Alive messages, as supposed to the the convention of sending them every 15 minutes or so (to avoid flooding the network). A UPnP/DLNA controller will timeout a previously discovered UPnP device, so assume it's no longer there, if it doesn't receive an Alive message from the UPnP device after a given time (usually 30 minutes).

Are you certain that you've enabled everything on the Synology to make sure it can properly use UPnP/DLNA, especially its firewall? It's possible that some setting on its firewall is blocking UPnP multicast.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks, Cebolla. The Dell is wired to the same router as is the Synology. The Vortexbox is in another room and is connected by ethernet-over-powerline.

I haven't touched the Synology firewall and, in fact, am not sure how to find and set it. I will look into this. Worse comes to worst, I still am within my support period from Synology, although I am seriously underwhelmed by the "help" I have gotten from Synology thus far.

I haven't touched the Synology firewall and, in fact, am not sure how to find and set it.

open DSM from your browser, then Control Panel > Security > Firewall

If that doesn't do it, how about shutting down all the unneeded servers and gear mentioned and just try getting Synology working in the most minimal straightforward manner you're configured for. Once that works, keep adding things back one at a time and see what trips you up.

open DSM from your browser, then Control Panel > Security > Firewall

If that doesn't do it, how about shutting down all the unneeded servers and gear mentioned and just try getting Synology working in the most minimal straightforward manner you're configured for. Once that works, keep adding things back one at a time and see what trips you up.

Thanks. Turning off the firewall made no difference.

Installing the Bubble Upnp server on the Synology has made Minimserver, LMS, Plex, and Synology Media Server available on the Android devices and the first three available on the PC. None is available on the iPad, but that isn't the end of the world. I can use Bubble Upnp server as a workaround as I try the testing you suggest.

I might have spoken too quickly. I stopped Bubble upnp server on the Synology, rebooted the Synology, and the Synology Media server still pops up on the Androids and Minimserver still can be controlled from the PC. The firewall may have been the issue after all, although nothing is accessible yet from the ipad.

And now Synology Media Server and Minimserver are appearing on the iPad. I guess it's a slow process getting everything online, but the firewall seems to have been the issue.

And now Synology Media Server and Minimserver are appearing on the iPad. I guess it's a slow process getting everything online, but the firewall seems to have been the issue.

And a few hours later, they no longer are accessible from the iPad. Oh,well.

What's the app you are using on your iPAD?

The most stable for me has been Lumin.

I probably have tried a dozen, but a lot seem to have trouble with flac and hi-res files. I currently have installed 8player, Creation 5, and IMediaShare. I used PlugPlayer for years on an iPhone, but it became unreliable, so I never bought the iPad version. I will look at Lumin. Thanks for the tip.

I tried Lumin but it seemed to require a Lumin device to act as the renderer. I don't have one. I today installed Kinsky, which does not require Linn devices to be the renderer. It has been finding the Synology Media Server today and this evening, which is a good sign. It hasn't yet shown Minimserver or LMS on its server list, but I am not too shook up about that because the Synology Media Server has been available since I installed Kinsky.