IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

Herbie Hancock this Saturday at the CSO (met him in New York back in the early 90's. Stoked about this concert)

Guns N Roses in early Nov

Dead & Company in Detroit and Columbus just after Thanksgiving

CSO performing Mahler's 9th early January

I think that's it for the next few months.  I may see Phil & Friends but that's still up in the air.

On 8/9/2017 at 12:23 AM, TubeLover said:

Just got back from the concert and it was simply outstanding in terms of the music, performance, and effects. This tout, Roger Waters and company are playing all of the major Pink Floyd pieces, and they have never sounded better. Outstanding band backing him, including many supporting musicians that go back to the golden days of the Floyd. The sound quality in the arena was also excellent and enveloping. The two "twin appearing" blondes from the band Lucius were also an excellent addition, both in terms of their striking vocals,and seemingly endless energy.

The only disappointment was that I do not feel any desire to be hit over the head with the political opinion of a musical artist, or band during a performance. And there was far, far too much of that, and horribly misguided.

JC

I saw this show in Chicago.  12th row center.  I only wish I could have seen Pink Floyd as a full band.  Waters put on a great show as he can still sing, but I was disappointed when another bassist rang out the first lick in One of These Days. C'mon Roger, you're the bassist and that's your song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
18 hours ago, matthias said:

Avishai Cohen, the man with the trumpet.

Matt

I saw him play in a tiny loft a few months ago.  I sat front row, literally 5 feet in front of him.  That's a unique experience when a trumpet is being played in your face.  Hung out at the bar with Yonathan Avishai and Nasheet Waits.  Bought him a drink.  Nice people and what an amazing show.  I actually stuck around for both shows as they did two back to back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, barrows said:

Before Joshua Redman on 6/24, i got fantastic seats to see Yes' 50th Anniversary concert at The Paramount Theater in Denver (great sounding venue) on 6/11.  Psyched to be centered in row N, should be perfect for sound quality.  It will be a bit bittersweet as I will miss Chris Squire, sad...

No Jon Anderson either.  Not quite the same without his singing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Superdad said:

Mahler in Chains?  :ph34r:

Salonen was unchained last night.  What an incredible event.  After the first movement a woman yelled out, "that was amazing!".  At the end of the Adagio Salonen brought the symphony down to where you could hear a pin drop.  The crowd was in awe.  He has a vibrant, animated and emotional style which the orchestra locked into.  Quite a bit different from Muti who tends to be reserved.

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

He seems to be more a head-banger than a Mahlerian, wouldn't you say? 9_9

More of the Mahler in Chains type ;)

By the way, I found this an interesting quote from Muti.  "The next time you go to a concert and see a conductor who moves more than is necessary, and opens his mouth like a shark, you have to boo"

http://slippedisc.com/2015/10/riccardo-muti-a-conductor-who-moves-more-than-is-necessary-you-have-to-boo/

4 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Yuja Wang...forget her taste in clothing. Have a listen to this:

556999563_ScreenShot2018-05-25at9_40_27AM.thumb.jpg.b1e37ae3a162988e3937219b1c6f6312.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/77696636

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I hope I'm not offending anybody, but the combination of Wang and Dudamel kind of sums up for me what's quite often wrong in recent history of classical music, essentially hype over substance (or in other words, I have yet to hear a recording from any of the two that I like). 

But then, de gustibus non est dispudandum. 

I saw Yuja perform at Ravinia last year, I've listened to most if not all of her recorded performances and several YouTube videos.  I find her emotionally inspired performances refreshing.  She's also easy on the eyes ;) I don't think she loses any technique by drawing from emotion and creating emphasis.  I find it inspirational.  Similar are the performances of Lang Lang.

I don't think a performer must be reserved to be good.  Nor do I believe that in a conductor.  I was recently sharing my experience of seeing Salonen conduct the CSO.  He evoked a different sound from the orchestra than Muti.  I don't think it was better or worse, but it was different and the crowd responded to it positively.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Radiohead Friday night was an impressive show.  Some very versatile and talented musicians.  The opener was Shye Ben Tzur’s Rajistan Express, which tours eponymously under Junun.

Neil Young was a solo show and very impressive.  John Hammond opened.  Neil had 3 pianos and a pipe organ, not to mention a variety of guitars as well as a ukulele.

Next weekend I'm in Boulder to see Dead and Company finish off their tour.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Okay, I am jealous. Would have loved to have gone to both those shows!

Any inkling of a new Radiohead album coming out?  Seems like they are about due...

No new songs, although they broke out Blow Out for the first time in 10 years and I heard they played Spectre tonight which was supposed to be for the Bond film.

They're still touring for Moon Shaped Pool.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
17 hours ago, TubeLover said:

REALLY looking forward to seeing Tori Amos tonight, at a absolutely wonderful venue, the Michigan Theater, in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I've been a huge fan of hers for thirty years, since her Little Earthquakes album appeared and blew so many people away. Getting to see her in such a superb acoustical venue should be stunning! 

JC

My sister flew in (to Chicago) from New York to see her.  She missed her out in NY due to covid.

15 hours ago, botrytis said:

Cecile McLoran Salvant June 3rd at the Chicago Symphony Center. Saw her once before and it was, how shall I say, a religious experience. Looking forward to next week.

Chicago resident as well?  I get to the CSO several times a year.  Took my daughter to see Yuja Wang there in Feb.  I think we've seen Yuja 4 times now.  Amazing performance, always.  Not to mention she's stunning.

Going to the Chicago Theatre tonight to see Ray LaMontagne.

Going to see Robert Plant and Allison Krauss next week

Saw Wilco for their YHF shows in April.

Saw Bob Weir & the Wolf Bros anniversary of Ace show at Radio City in NY.  If anyone isn't familiar with Bob's band, he has Don Was as his bassist, Barry Sless on pedal steel,  a brass & string section with Brian Switzer on trumpet, Adam Theis on tenor trombone, Sheldon Brown on tenor and alto saxophone, clarinet, bass clarinet, flute and bass flute, Mads Tolling on violin, and Alex Kelly on cello.  Just amazing.

Saw Jorma Kaukonen at the Old Town School of Folk Music in March.

So nice to be seeing live music again.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
50 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Tonight - Ana Popovic at the City Winery in Chicago.

Saturday - Buddy Guy at the Rialto Theatre in Joliet. This will be his last tour ever, so let's go and support him.

I saw Buddy last year at the Rialto.  Great show and venue.  He's such an amazing performer.

I used to live a block away from Legends back in the '90s so saw him there many times. Sat at the bar and chatted with him one night.  Something I'll never forget.