IGNORED

Do I want the Aurender X100L or the N100?

Currently using a 2009 mac mini and an older version of Audirvana + > usb> into PS Audio Direct stream. My music files are on a Drobo 5N. The mac mini sees the Drobo and access the music files reliably. A big reason the Aurender's have my attention is they appear to be easy to set up and use. If I ever have to take a network class I'm getting an F.

The differences in the Aurender x100L and the N100, its local storage vs files from my Drobo network drive. Here is my question: Will the X100L do everything the N100 will do? I'm looking for reliability first. If I do choose to use my network drive, will the drives in the X100L spin down stay out the the way in terms of noise and heat?

Well, my first thought was how the hell do I know which one you want.

I own an X100, it is dead quiet and does not interrupt my music listening at all. It caches the files onto an SSD drive for playback. I don't think it gets hot either, but i have so many tubes running I doubt I could even tell. I'll go touch it sometime and find out. IMO local storage is always more reliable than Networked connections. That's just my opinion.

No electron left behind.

IMO local storage is always more reliable than Networked connections. That's just my opinion.

I don't have experience with Aurender, but speaking from a Windows perspective external storage is better. I've lost enough data because of system crashes and HDDs not being read because they were dynamic disks and could not be imported. Its a real problem if the partition or file system gets erased during a crash or even a sudden stop and/or reboot of the PC with a button press.

External HDDs (especially USB 3.0 for large volumes of data) is plug and play easy and pretty much works right out of the box with any system.

PS: In the context of this thread too I run a networked connection from an external NAS.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

N100 is reliable and seamless with my TS-253 QNAP NAS, never misses a beat, external storage is my preference = no moving parts and powered by LPS.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The distributor here told me that everything is ran from the internal SSD of the Aurender N100. Then again, he did mention a small price difference to get the N100 with an internal 2TB drive, which would be silent and wouldn't propose any problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

1) The X100 has ample onboard HDD storage (mine is 6 tB). Once the files are loaded a NAS or PC is only needed to transfer new files and for backup. The N100 is said to sound a bit better.

2) The N100 largely depends upon a NAS or PC for file access. If you want to use Metadata and see album art, you need to use a program that updates the .Aurender database on the NAS or PC. When you add new music you need to run the program again. The process has improved since first implemented and once you get used to it... The N100 is less expensive.

The X100 is an older design and Aurender MAY BE in the process of replacing (or possibly updating) it in the lineup. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS IN THE WORKS but it seems logical to make some move.

I am going to stick with my X100 which sounds great and operates quite well.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Hi Rick,

I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. The X100L's advantage is its internal storage capacity, either 6TB or 12TB. I just sold one over the weekend, and the customer is glad he opted for it. That said, if you already have a Drobo or some other NAS you have the option of just staying with it and not being concerned with internal storage. In that case the N100 is a better choice and costs $1000 less, with slightly better sound quality to boot. All Aurender models use an SSD for caching music in the playlist, while the (green) internal storage drive(s) spin down when one is not browsing and adding music to the playlist. Noise and heat have not been a concern, as far as I know and in my own experience (I have the N100, X100L, N10, and W20 here on demo).

As for using a NAS, you just want to run AMM (Aurender Media Manager) to scan your NAS when you add music to it or make other changes. AMM scans the NAS or an external USB drive connected directly to the Aurender to add the cover art and metadata to the database stored in the iPad used by the Aurender Conductor app. If you don't run AMM you can still access the external music through the Folder view, going to either the NAS or USB button that appear on the screen.

I hope this is helpful. If you have other questions please ask and I'll chime in again if someone else hasn't already answered them.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Let's be clear, because there's the N100 and the N100H.

The two are fundamentally identical, except the N100H has a 2TB internal drive vs. no storage drive on the plain N100, and the N100H costs $200 more.

That's why I bought the N100H.

Similar to Coot above, my music collection isn't huge -- 2100 albums and 800 GB. So the N100H's drive holds it all with plenty of room for the future.

I rip, download, edit, and manage my music library on my main (work) Mac computer and now, after the initial loading of the N100H, new albums are simply copied from the Mac to the Aurender using classic desktop drag and drop.

No NAS needed. And music library backups are just made on the Mac, without the Aurender being involved.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Rick,

I just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in. The X100L's advantage is its internal storage capacity, either 6TB or 12TB. I just sold one over the weekend, and the customer is glad he opted for it. That said, if you already have a Drobo or some other NAS you have the option of just staying with it and not being concerned with internal storage. In that case the N100 is a better choice and costs $1000 less, with slightly better sound quality to boot. All Aurender models use an SSD for caching music in the playlist, while the (green) internal storage drive(s) spin down when one is not browsing and adding music to the playlist. Noise and heat have not been a concern, as far as I know and in my own experience (I have the N100, X100L, N10, and W20 here on demo).

As for using a NAS, you just want to run AMM (Aurender Media Manager) to scan your NAS when you add music to it or make other changes. AMM scans the NAS or an external USB drive connected directly to the Aurender to add the cover art and metadata to the database stored in the iPad used by the Aurender Conductor app. If you don't run AMM you can still access the external music through the Folder view, going to either the NAS or USB button that appear on the screen.

I hope this is helpful. If you have other questions please ask and I'll chime in again if someone else hasn't already answered them.

Can I just ask you, objectively how different is the sound quality between the n100 and the w20? Are we talking day and night difference?

Can I just ask you, objectively how different is the sound quality between the n100 and the w20? Are we talking day and night difference?

It's pretty large. Bigger stage, richer harmonics, deeper bass, lower noise, the whole gamut. That said, there are many very happy N100/N100H owners out there.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Okay so say I get the N100H w the 2TB. If the drive gets full or I just decide to stream from a network, can I access songs from either source seamlessly?

Yes, especially if you have scanned what's on the network.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Definitely! But the W20 about 6X the price of the N100 - so you have to expect it's much better. And it is. I auditioned pretty much all of them and settled on the N10

which, for me, was the right balance of performance /SQ/ storage/ price.

I've had the N10 for about 4 months - and have been extremely happy.

That said..... I'm now seriously thinking of selling it and upgrading to the W20.

It's that good. but ... its $$$$.....

Okay so say I get the N100H w the 2TB. If the drive gets full or I just decide to stream from a network, can I access songs from either source seamlessly?

yes, but it is inconvenient to have two copies of any song or album available to the unit.

Therefore you would probably be best served either running completely from the local storage, or completely from your network attached storage.

Otherwise, you can do both, but avoid overlap.

If you only need USB output, then I would suggest that you consider the N100H with a Wyred for Sound Recovery USB Reclocker (with a small regulated linear power supply) added, and network isolation.

E

Definitely! But the W20 about 6X the price of the N100 - so you have to expect it's much better. And it is. I auditioned pretty much all of them and settled on the N10

which, for me, was the right balance of performance /SQ/ storage/ price.

I've had the N10 for about 4 months - and have been extremely happy.

That said..... I'm now seriously thinking of selling it and upgrading to the W20.

It's that good. but ... its $$$$.....

Let me know when you're selling the N10 :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

+10

N100 when in a fully optimised environment is utterly superb and will by definition be considerably closer to the performance of the W20 - as wonderful as the W20 obviously is, there is a value proposition to consider, given that optimising the N100 comes fairly cheap.

Anyone tried the Intona isolator with N100?

Regardless, all of the Aurender models appear to be loved by their owners = fabulous products and brand.

;-)

If you only need USB output, then I would suggest that you consider the N100H with a Wyred for Sound Recovery USB Reclocker (with a small regulated linear power supply) added, and network isolation.

E

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Okay I'm ready to buy. I've decided to go with the N100. I'll keep all the music on a network drive. The $ saved will go toward an iPad Air II.

Brian do you sell these?

Yes, you'll find my business (Ess...) listed on the Aurender site as an authorized dealer. Thank you.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Yes, you'll find my business (Ess...) listed on the Aurender site as an authorized dealer. Thank you.

I currently have a Mac mini connected to a Devialet 250 via USB. I am at the very decision of N100(H) vs X100L. I have a demo model of the N100H and have been very pleased. The dealer said that if I went with the N100 or N100H, instead of the X100L, that I would only see the listing of songs/albums in text, on the iPad, if using a NAS instead of the great looking interface that he showed me when playing music from the local drive off of the N100H. I am curious though as I read above about the AMM? It sounds like this allows me to import the metadata and cover art and have this great interface and not just text?

Also, could anyone comment more on the optimization of the Aurender and or optimization of a persons network/system for the Aurender?

Also, any recommendations on a particular NAS? I have been looking at Synology and QNAP. My current music library is 2.7 TB.

Thanks

I currently have a Mac mini connected to a Devialet 250 via USB. I am at the very decision of N100(H) vs X100L. I have a demo model of the N100H and have been very pleased. The dealer said that if I went with the N100 or N100H, instead of the X100L, that I would only see the listing of songs/albums in text, on the iPad, if using a NAS instead of the great looking interface that he showed me when playing music from the local drive off of the N100H. I am curious though as I read above about the AMM? It sounds like this allows me to import the metadata and cover art and have this great interface and not just text?

Also, could anyone comment more on the optimization of the Aurender and or optimization of a persons network/system for the Aurender?

Also, any recommendations on a particular NAS? I have been looking at Synology and QNAP. My current music library is 2.7 TB.

Thanks

Very interesting question on the meta data. I'm so new to all of this and I want the best SQ, but also want ease of use. I'm looking strongly at the Melco N1A 4TB (will be going up to 6 soon) and the matching Melco drive to rip discs when it comes out instead of the newest, finless Qnap NAS plus WD HDD. I have some friends who have heard the Melco and swear by it. They are using it as a NAS as well as their server (hooked up direct via USB to their main DAC) as well as via ethernet to the reset of their systems in the house. They feel it sounds as good as the Aurender N10. I really need to hear both before deciding. I'm currently using an 09 Mac Mini completely rebuilt by Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio. It's loaded with all 24/192 well recorded songs. It has a Paul Hynes power supply and sounds as good as any server I've heard so far. I liked it as good as the W20 so I'm not in a hurry to sell it and move over to a new server, but I now have a Linn Kiko in my bedroom and was hoping to get a NAS and rip all my CD and maybe even albums. It's changing so rapidly that I may just stay put for now, but I could just get the Melco once the larger HDD comes out and use it exclusively as my NAS.

I'm interested in an answer to this too.

^^ AMM works a treat for me, it's only needed to refresh the library when adding or removing tracks, all the meta data and covers work just fine. I probably run AMM twice a months and it takes a couple of minutes (after the initial run)

N100 (when optimised) is superb.

;-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: