IGNORED

Article: My First 24 Hours With MQA

I want to hear MQA demoed with an A/B comparison.

IMHO there's not a great deal between 192 and MQA listening to analogue outputs on an 818 (A/B). I suspect there's more to be heard through Meridians SE speakers but nobody will buy them out of idle interest. I've heard MQA demo's on SE speakers, generally very impressive but content dependent.

IMHO there's not a great deal between 192 and MQA listening to analogue outputs on an 818 (A/B). I suspect there's more to be heard through Meridians SE speakers but nobody will buy them out of idle interest. I've heard MQA demo's on SE speakers, generally very impressive but content dependent.

Yeah seems like MQA is being marketed with carefully made demos to make it shine. But no real comparisons. IMO, If it doesn't correct temporal information at least as good as DSD then what's the point?

As I remember it Mark Waldrep wrote in his AIX blog quite some time back that he had a email or phone conversation with Bob Stuart and had questioned him about MQA and sound quality. At that time Bob had responded that he wasn't making any claims of increased sound quality, only that the process was going to ease streaming/downloading of large HDA files due to the reduced size, how it was totally transparent, and would provide 16/44 compatible playback. He then promised Mark a full written Q/A interview like Chris is talking about at a later date. But then after the "I've Heard The Future" article and all the rest he has not availed himself for said interview though he promised it on a couple later occasions. Seems like his public story has changed over the last 18 months. ???

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

He then promised Mark a full written Q/A interview like Chris is talking about at a later date. But then after the "I've Heard The Future" article and all the rest he has not availed himself for said interview though he promised it on a couple later occasions.

Promised response to the Q/A has been received and some of the results have now been posted to Marks blog the last 2 days. Curious?

Robert Stuart Responds: MQA and More! | Real HD-Audio

Robert Stuart Responds…Again! | Real HD-Audio

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

I wonder if Bob Stuart thinks Mark Waldrep is arrogant too.

I don't know if he finds Mark arrogant. I'm sure Bob is nervous cause Mark will tell the truth about

what he hears from MQA when it becomes more available. He's not in the pocket of advertisers as some others in the audiophile media community.

I don't know if he finds Mark arrogant. I'm sure Bob is nervous cause Mark will tell the truth about

what he hears from MQA when it becomes more available. He's not in the pocket of advertisers as some others in the audiophile media community.

I wonder what Cookie Marenco thinks of MQA.

what he hears from MQA

Except Mark doesn't hear very well, so nobody should care what he hears or not.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Does he hear worse than typical for his age?

Probably as much or worse: the first isn't out of the ordinary, the second on the other hand...

During the review of the Regen in his own studio where he invited two other listeners he trusts, the latter heard differences, but not Mark.

Why would you listen to what he says about what he hears (or clearly cannot hear, in his own studio...)?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Probably as much or worse: the first isn't out of the ordinary, the second on the other hand...

During the review of the Regen in his own studio where he invited two other listeners he trusts, the latter heard differences, but not Mark.

Why would you listen to what he says about what he hears (or clearly cannot hear, in his own studio...)?

Some would say he's not as easily bamboozled by marketing claims. He's not the only person not to hear a difference from the Regen. Also bear in mind that he was using a DAC that shouldn't be affected by such devices.

Some would say he's not as easily bamboozled by marketing claims. He's not the only person not to hear a difference from the Regen. Also bear in mind that he was using a DAC that shouldn't be affected by such devices.

Some people not hearing a difference with the Regen because their equipment doesn't benefit is a completely different thing from 3 people hearing the same equipment and only 1 conspicuously not hearing anything.

I think you're not too aware of his biases. He likes to market his own recordings.

Some people not hearing a difference with the Regen because their equipment doesn't benefit is a completely different thing from 3 people hearing the same equipment and only 1 conspicuously not hearing anything.

That argument goes both ways.

You make it seem they're running for political office. However, I don't think Bob Stuart is too nervous.

Promised response to the Q/A has been received and some of the results have now been posted to Marks blog the last 2 days. Curious?

Robert Stuart Responds: MQA and More! | Real HD-Audio

Robert Stuart Responds…Again! | Real HD-Audio

Just arrived now to these texts and could not agree more on the closing remarks:

" The problem we have is the lack of truly great sounding recordings. The production chain is broken. How can ever expect to deliver better fidelity with software tweaks, expensive cables, and exotic hardware when the content were playing doesn’t measure up?"

This is why I prefer a mp3 of a good recording that a HD audiophile file of a lesser recording.

But it is refreshing to see new efforts in the right direction, like these folks:

I listen to mostly Classic Rock. I don't expect to hear the mic feed. But I want to hear what's on the analog tape. And 16/44 doesn't cut it for me. I don't care what Mark Waldrep thinks. I'm not buying his recordings because of the way he produces them. I'm buying stuff that I want to hear.

I can say the same about Bob Stuart. MQA might be great but if I can't find classic rock/ pop remastered using the MQA process, I won't buy it. I'm talking about going all the way back to the analog tape to do the transfer using the MQA process and not old digital masters that have been corrected. That to me sounds like sales BS. Come on, how can something be authenticated from an old digital master?

DSD seems to be more accurate with transients and temporal information, but there's something in the treble that's not quite right. Doubtful if any music I listen to will ever get DSD128 or DSD256 treatment.

Except Mark doesn't hear very well, so nobody should care what he hears or not.

So I take it you believe you have superior hearing? I then suggest you open a like studio and start recording HDA and show him-us how it'd done with your superior success in the audiophile recordings market.

Talk is cheap.