IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I think so as I have used a extreme configured as a bridge before...with another renderer also connected to it.

Please report if your linear power supply has any impact of the SQ. Should not..

The linear supply definitely improves sound quality. Any switching power supply will degrade the system. I tried the newest Extreme router (which unfortunately has a built-in SMPS) and couldn't stand how the system sounded. I returned it and went back to the older generation Extreme with linear power supply.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

The linear supply definitely improves sound quality. Any switching power supply will degrade the system. I tried the newest Extreme router (which unfortunately has a built-in SMPS) and couldn't stand how the system sounded. I returned it and went back to the older generation Extreme with linear power supply.

i plan to first use the micro rendu with the Ifipower

do you think the Ifi power (12V 1.8a )will work too with your airport extreme?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

A bit OT here, but I can tell you that the original Apple SMPS for the 1st-thru-5th generation Airport Extremes (all the ones with an external PS) happen to be rated at 1.8A--same as the iFi iPower SMPS wart you are considering. So it should work fine. But you might be pushing it a little. Consider the size difference:

$_12.JPG

A bit OT here, but I can tell you that the original Apple SMPS for the 1st-thru-5th generation Airport Extremes (all the ones with an external PS) happen to be rated at 1.8A--same as the iFi iPower SMPS wart you are considering. So it should work fine. But you might be pushing it a little. Consider the size difference:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25151[/ATTACH]

thanks superadd , i didn't know the ifipower was a SMPS too so i will probably move to another solution for both for the airport and microrendu supply . i don't want to pollute all the system..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Blake, you would still need a router in that situation.

However, I strongly recommend you avoid powerline data products (I used to work for the company that pioneered data over powerline, starting in the late 1980s). Noise from the powerline is going to get into your audio system, mucking things up.

Do you have a crawlspace? Can you run a fiber line from a more central place in your house?

Agreed. I encountered this type of noise problem, and installed PS Audio Noise Harvesters to the specific Ethernet over power line (one on the router side and two on the system side) and the noise went below the threshold of my hearing.

Is the SD Card slot for running without a NAS? If so, what's the largest size SD card one can use?

No,

the micro SD card is just for storing the OS and apps, not music.

The microRendu was designed so that all music data would come over the Ethernet connection in some form.

John S.

No,

the micro SD card is just for storing the OS and apps, not music.

The microRendu was designed so that all music data would come over the Ethernet connection in some form.

John S.

OK, the online manualSONORE microRendu Manual doesn't explain about the SD whatsoever. What size and class SD is needed?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Just wanted to make sure that you were not planning on running a microRendu at 12V, it is only speced from 6-9V. At 12V it is going to get quite warm even with out driving a bus powered DAC. Depending on the ventilation it gets 12V could significantly shorten its lifespan.

John S.

Just wanted to make sure that you were not planning on running a microRendu at 12V, it is only speced from 6-9V. At 12V it is going to get quite warm even with out driving a bus powered DAC. Depending on the ventilation it gets 12V could significantly shorten its lifespan.

John S.

not my intention , the wait is long enough and i'm not ready to fry my new unit on the first day :)

joke apart , as it seems that the microrendu will have a regulator at the input , can i just make a 7/9 V Heavily filtered non regulated Dc power supply ?

OK, the online manualSONORE microRendu Manual doesn't explain about the SD whatsoever. What size and class SD is needed?

The microRendu comes with a micro SD card pre-installed with the OS and apps, it will be in the slot so you won't have to do anything with it. It is slightly recessed in the slot so you probably won't even notice it.

Under most circumstances you will never have to do anything with it, upgrades are done over the internet.

There is a slot primarily for emergencies, such as something unforeseen corrupts the card, or you need an update and have the device in a cabin in the wilds of Alaska.

So for most use just ignore the SD card, it boots the device and stores configuration information, you should never need to know it is there.

John S.

not my intention , the wait is long enough and i'm not ready to fry my new unit on the first day :)

joke apart , as it seems that the microrendu will have a regulator at the input , can i just make a 7/9 V Heavily filtered non regulated Dc power supply ?

I'm not very happy with unregulated supplies, they can have some very high spikes when they turn on (or off) that might fry stuff in the microRendu.

I have one unregulated supply on my desk that that is nominally 9V, but hits over 14v when it is turned on. It makes me very uncomfortable to think people would be using something like this.

The absolutely highest voltage you can feed it is 14V, I wouldn't push that.

John S.

Ok Jesus I know I am not on the mailing list so I won't be in the initial shipments of Micro Rendu's so when can I reasonably expect to order one? I know I have been bugging you on this but I am a fan.

We will do what we can to make this as short as possible, but I don't want to make any predictions about this because a lot of things are out of our control.

Please do not tamper with the SD because you could loose your warranty. As John stated the SD is for the operating system only. That SD card is unit specific and will not work on another device.

Please do not tamper with the SD because you could loose your warranty. As John stated the SD is for the operating system only. That SD card is unit specific and will not work on another device.

OK, no worries. I just inquired as there wasn't anything in the manual about it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

John S.

Please power the unit with a power supply that is 6-9V at 1 AMP minimum because you could loose your warranty otherwise.

What about an eero mesh network? One eero for the microRendu that's connected via Ethernet to the microRendu.

Jason, I can't think of any unique considerations for a mesh network. I'm planning to try the same idea with a Luma (if it ever ships). Initially, I'll just connect the micro rendu to the same router my Windows 10 PC is connected to. The Windows 10 PC hosts my music files and will be running MinimServer. This is just to keep things really simple at the beginning.

Eventually to support my main audio system I'm going to need either a wireless bridge or a mesh network.

Thanks for asking about the SD card. I didn't understand what it was for either.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

The Axpona Audio Show will mark the first appearance of a pre-production sample microRendu. The microRendu will be in Room #336 (Vinnie Rossi / Harbeth / Acoustic Signature Turntables) where it will stream directly into a LIO DSD/PCM DAC. The microRendu will be powered by a super-regulated, ultracap power supply module that Vinnie is making specifically for this purpose. He will then use the RoonReady output mode via a Macbook Air running Roon.

Show and product links:

AXPONA - Audio Expo North America

Vinnie Rossi - LIO custom modular audio component

Vinnie Rossi show schedule 2016

LIO Ideas / Suggestions / Progress thread - PART 2!

Please drop in and tell Vinnie that JR says hello.

All,

I'm listening to a 'pre-production' microRendu as I type this.

Here is the signal chain:

Macbook Air running Roon >> Belkin wireless bridge >> microRendu >> Vinnie Rossi LIO (LIO DSD/PCM dac).

As JR mentioned above, the LIO has a DC output jack feeding the microRendu from LIO's isolated ultracapacitor supply (Belleson super-regulated down to 8Vdc). I'll have this at AXPONA Room 336 (with Harbeth 40.2 loudspeakers) - same signal chain will be used.

How does it sound?

I'm not here to post a review or comparisons to other products (I'll leave that to the reviewers and customers), but I want

to simply say that I am beyond impressed with microRendu's performance! It will be my pleasure to show it off at AXPONA as our main digital source.

I have a mix of different high res tracks, with PCM up to 24/192 and DSD / double DSD (LIO's dac runs DoP - DSD over PCM). Very smooth playback so far...

I predict this little gem (approx. 3" x 2"), fed from a clean power supply, is going to knock your socks off and leave you scratching your head wondering how John Swenson, JR, and the team pulled this one off. Performance/Price ratio is phenomenal! Congratulations, Team Sonore! "Nuff said for now ;-)

Hope to see many of you at AXPONA next week!

Vinnie

Disclosure: I am not at all affiliated with Sonore and receive no compensation from any sales of their products. Jesus R. of Sonore has been very responsive to all my emails (regarding trying to integrate their upcoming microRendu to LIO), and I intend to offer a power output solution for microRendu to our LIO customers, but they still need to purchase microRendu from Sonore.

Vinnie Rossi

www.vinnierossi.com