IGNORED

Wyred 4 Sound's Recovery USB Reclocker Findings For Audio Performance. (Curated Thread)

Just spoke with Tony at W4S, and I'll be one of the people to receive their revised unit of the RUR.

As I said to him, and as I've long felt in other contexts, "It's not the mistakes we make in life, since we all make them, but how we deal with those mistakes that say the most about us."

And designing a solution and sending it out to customers like myself?

Well, that's the way a mensch deals with a mistake or other glitch.

Dave, who is glad to still be able to use his 9 volt linear power supply with the revised RUR

+1

I have had a number of discussions about my RUR as it would not work with my Bryston/Wyred 4 Sound uLink and also my Rega DAC-R and Tony assured my that I would receive my updated RUR which would fix the issues. It looks like they have sorted out their compatibility issues and my replacement unit is ready to ship.

I have had a number of discussions about my RUR as it would not work with my Bryston/Wyred 4 Sound uLink and also my Rega DAC-R and Tony assured my that I would receive my updated RUR which would fix the issues. It looks like they have sorted out their compatibility issues but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I had most recently had communication with them last week and was assured that my replacement unit was going to be shipped this week but today I received the following message from W4S;

"Hello Aaron,

Unfortunately, we are going to have a different return procedure for international replacement units. We are willing to provide you with a new replacement unit, but you are going to need you to send the full payment for it, before we ship it. We are willing to pay for 1st Class mail, which could end up taking sometime to receive. So, if you would like to receive it sooner then you may upgrade the shipping at your expense. Then after you have received your new unit, you may send the original one back and as soon as we receive it, we will then issue you a full credit for the unit ($199). Please let me know if you would like to proceed with this process and I will initiate the order for you.

Talk to you soon,

Ashlynn"

That's great, I purchase a defective unit and this is what I get...they were aware that I was in Canada when I was speaking to them about my issues and now in order to get a working RUR, this is my only option.

Me too. I don't want to say anything more right now as I'm trying to work out a compromise. Disappointing to say the least as it has been 2 weeks since receiving the defective unit.

My RUR arrived a few days ago, and has approximately 30 hours life on it.

The Recovery was a direct replacement for the Regen. Still fed by the Intona (upstream) and Curious cables. And RUR is powered by JS2 @ 9volts

Connection as follows :- MacMini --> hard adapter--> Intona--> Curious 80cm-->> Recovery--> Curious Link--> DAC.

Immediate impression - more life like presentation, wider soundstage, better tonality - you can hear intricate texture for example with voices and percussion. Overall gives a darker presentation than the Regen. And the bonus is the consistency across the whole volume range. The RUR you can listen both quieter and louder volume than the Regen.

Still early days,but the improvement is pretty obvious. Although I am currently loathed to remove the Intona from the chain. Who knows? Maybe when run in I will try the RUR on its own

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

I got my RUR in this past Friday and had it up and running by 3pm. It's got roughly 67 hours on it and is a pleasure to listen to. It sounded great straight out of the box, but as the hours pile on, the sound improves little by little. And I'm just using the stock PS and USB cable that came with it. It's dead silent, open, airy, smooth, detailed, dynamic. I have zero complaints and feel that it was $200 well spent.

Signal Chain...

AURALiC Aries LE ->> Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 ->> Wyred 4 Sound RUR ->> Parasound Halo P5 Internal DAC

It sounds great with my ripped FLAC files, Tidal, even internet radio has received huge improvements.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Hi all,

We want to express our gratitude to those ordering a Recovery and extending us latitude, understanding and patience as we researched what a few of you were experiencing before we could devise a solution. We’re pleased to note that the process of discovery to implementation (and then shipping) took only about three weeks.

To recap, some early reports from a few customers indicated a compatibility issue with their DAC and the Recovery. What we found is that a few brands of DACs require a much higher inrush of current from the USB bus than most others. This caused the Recovery to go into ‘protect’ mode and essentially break communication between DAC and computer. When this happened, the DAC was not available as an output device and the user might’ve also seen a warning message that too much power was was being drawn from the USB port. We revised the Recovery board to allow for this higher power draw to go through. In the grand scheme of things, of the hundreds of Recoverys sold to date, those affected were less than 1 in 10.

At this point, everyone should now have a Recovery that works in their system and we’re happy to be standing by our products so we can ensure they work properly upon delivery. For those that might need the upgrade in the future, we will offer that path. Thanks again for your support and we hope you’ll continue to enjoy our products.

I got my RUR in this past Friday and had it up and running by 3pm. It's got roughly 67 hours on it and is a pleasure to listen to. It sounded great straight out of the box, but as the hours pile on, the sound improves little by little. And I'm just using the stock PS and USB cable that came with it. It's dead silent, open, airy, smooth, detailed, dynamic. I have zero complaints and feel that it was $200 well spent.

Signal Chain...

AURALiC Aries LE ->> Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 ->> Wyred 4 Sound RUR ->> Parasound Halo P5 Internal DAC

It sounds great with my ripped FLAC files, Tidal, even internet radio has received huge improvements.

Great to hear!

Hi,

my Recovery arrived last week. Here are my (mixed) findings so far:

Build quality is disappointing, I know this is a budget device, but it is not cheap in any way and I have to say it feels very cheap. It is mislabelled and input USB connector broke after first plug and unplug of USB cable (little bit- left part of metal casing went out when I unplugged cable- I was able to push it back -it works so far )...Could be bad luck but it never happened to me before...

On positive side -Recovery is really smaller than I expected from product pictures and improve sound of every DAC (all of them budget choices) I tried (but some of them don’t work with RUR).

Tested it with 6 DACs:

ODAC- OK (Linux Mint),

TAGA THDA-500T- OK (Windows 10, Volumio, Moode)

Violectric V200 internal 192kHz DAC- OK (Volumio)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Audinst HUD-mx2 (USB powered) - does not work,

Creative SB1240- does not work,

Fiio X5- does not work,

RUR-1.jpg

RUR-2.jpg

RUR-3.jpg

RUR-4.jpg

Looks like all you need to do is remove the four screws, remove the pcb, reverse it so that it lines up with the printing on the case and swap the two ends.

Should take less time than it does to describe it.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Hi,

my Recovery arrived last week. Here are my (mixed) findings so far:

Build quality is disappointing, I know this is a budget device, but it is not cheap in any way and I have to say it feels very cheap. It is mislabelled and input USB connector broke after first plug and unplug of USB cable (little bit- left part of metal casing went out when I unplugged cable- I was able to push it back -it works so far )...Could be bad luck but it never happened to me before...

On positive side -Recovery is really smaller than I expected from product pictures and improve sound of every DAC (all of them budget choices) I tried (but some of them don’t work with RUR).

Tested it with 6 DACs:

ODAC- OK (Linux Mint),

TAGA THDA-500T- OK (Windows 10, Volumio, Moode)

Violectric V200 internal 192kHz DAC- OK (Volumio)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Audinst HUD-mx2 (USB powered) - does not work,

Creative SB1240- does not work,

Fiio X5- does not work,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24515[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24517[/ATTACH]

We're very sorry about your Recovery (indicators reversed). We will be sure to address this during our assembly procedure.

Cheap feeling? I thought the little guy was rather stout feeling myself. And I can't imagine how the input could have gotten broken plugging and unplugging a USB cable from it.

On that note, I replaced the stock 6" USB cable with a 12" Wireworld Ultraviolet USB this afternoon. Seems to have cleaned up the extreme top end a bit, and possibly a bit tighter bottom end. Other than that, no huge difference.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

p1823991316-5.jpg

That's good to know. I ordered a .3 meter Wireworld Ultraviolet USB for the same purpose.

I haven't had a chance to really sit down and listen to it since installing the WW USB, but from a couple quick listens, things seem to be getting better throughout, not just both extremes.

Just thought I'd add to the list of DACs that already work with the initial Recovery units. I have a Schiit Magni 2 Uber. It works with that. Unfortunately, I just bought a used Bifrost. It didn't work. That is how I discovered this thread. I just sent an email to Wyred. I am sending my Bifrost in to be upgraded to Multibit. Hopefully I will have everything back at the same time.

My experience is similar to some others above. I had it working straight out of the box with the supplied PSU in a couple of minutes. I had not expected great things and initially it was not impressive. I used two USB cables that I had. Over the 10 hours that I have had it going it has definitely blossomed. I tried it in variety of combinations with AQ jitterbugs and an Ifi filter. I settled on The Ifi at the DAC and one AQ jitterbug at the server. I am using a Telos cable from server to RUR and Curious Cable from the RUR to DAC.

My server is Antipodes DX and the DAC is Soulution 541. Until now a CD played in the 541 was marginally better than the same file from the DX. Now I consider that the file from the DX is slightly better which is interesting. It is all about the silence. I am so impressed with the RUR that I am gong to order a LPSU tomorrow to experience if there is further improvement.

John

We thought we’d provide an update on the status of Recoverys and how we will accommodate future board revision requests. For a brief recap, please see post #258 of this thread. As many customers have proven, the original Recovery performs flawlessly under standard operating USB conditions. However, a few people reported an immediate incompatibility with their DAC that made us realize that conditions were not that way 100% of the time. Please also note that of those certain DAC models, some within the same model worked and some didn’t, which highlights the inconsistencies of those designs. Just to eliminate the possibility of our product having an irregularity, we evaluated each replaced Recovery to ensure performance was on par with other known working units.

A “DOA” product is considered something that is immediately inoperable. A few customers who purchased the original Recovery found it was incompatible with their DAC. We considered these cases to be handled as “DOA” because it was inoperable with its desired mate on arrival. As of the end of February (post #258), all of these cases have been satisfied. ”Rev B” Recoverys began shipping mid-February.

We know that there are many people who continue to enjoy original ("Rev A") Recoverys. These will always operate error-free with a vast majority of DACs on the market. Should you choose to change your setup to use an incompatible DAC and thus wish to update your Rev A Recovery, we will offer that path for a nominal fee. The upgrade is available on our website under Upgrades, Mods and Accessories, here.

We wish to sincerely thank all present and future Recovery customers. The overall feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and we are extremely grateful for the new customer relationships we have gained in the process. We are proud to have addressed some real limitations inherent in USB sound and are planning other performance enhancing products as well. Thank you for your support.

Now how's that for customer service!

Just as an update, I just got in the iFi iPower and installed that a few minutes ago. I don't have any time to listen to it now, but will tonight... Hopefully. I'll give some initial impressions then. One thing I can say now though, it is a well built, solid little wall wart. It's the perfect match for the Recovery.

I ordered a Recovery USB Reclocker yesterday.

Are all being shipped of the new board that support DACs that draw power?

If not, how does one discern which version was shipped?

My intended connections will be:

Apple iMAC > Straight Wire USB Cable > Schiit Wyrd "Decrapifier > Supra USB Cable > Wyred4Sound Recovey USB Reclocker > Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite Cable > Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC > Mayflower Electronics' O2 Headphone Amplifier.

I plan to power the Reclocker with an Anchor battery rather than my mains power as I do not yet have a Linear Power Supply.

The RUR will first be tested as a replacement for the Uptone Regen.

I have read every post on this curated thread and promise to offer my observations of the RUR exclusively on its own in the context of how I am implementing it, and will not make any comments that compare it to other devices as such comments belong in the alternative threads created for purposes of making comparisons.

I ordered a Recovery USB Reclocker yesterday.

Are all being shipped of the new board that support DACs that draw power?

If not, how does one discern which version was shipped?

My intended connections will be:

Apple iMAC > Straight Wire USB Cable > Schiit Wyrd "Decrapifier > Supra USB Cable > Wyred4Sound Recovey USB Reclocker > Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite Cable > Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC > Mayflower Electronics' O2 Headphone Amplifier.

I plan to power the Reclocker with an Anchor battery rather than my mains power as I do not yet have a Linear Power Supply.

The RUR will first be tested as a replacement for the Uptone Regen.

I have read every post on this curated thread and promise to offer my observations of the RUR exclusively on its own in the context of how I am implementing it, and will not make any comments that compare it to other devices as such comments belong in the alternative threads created for purposes of making comparisons.

If you own a Schiit Bifrost, you will need the Recovery "Rev B".

John Withem

Proprietor

JW Audio.

http://www.jwaudio.net/default.html

Is anyone using the W4S Recovery USB Reclocker with a Berkeley Alpha USB converter? I have the Rev. B and I just tried to install it in my home system for the first time and it is not working when using it connected upstream to the Berkeley.

It worked great with my Schiit Bifrost Multibit in my other system.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Now how's that for customer service!

Just as an update, I just got in the iFi iPower and installed that a few minutes ago. I don't have any time to listen to it now, but will tonight... Hopefully. I'll give some initial impressions then. One thing I can say now though, it is a well built, solid little wall wart. It's the perfect match for the Recovery.

I will be interested in your impressions of iPower, I am using it and thought it improved bass and added more weight to the music. However, right out of the box I thought it was a bit too thick and syrupy sounding compared to the stock power supply. After some use I now prefer the iPower.