IGNORED

AC Filtering, Grounding Boxes, Linear PSU and Balanced Power.

Audiophiles can have girlfriends? I thought we had to get permanently married to find a partner wiling to put up with our bizarre habits! ;)

Unless of course you go to inordinate lengths to hide them from said GF.

or, - you just live in San Francisco, where even the most grotesque of AudioPhile habits pale in comparison...

:-)

Thanks Alex! :)

I have owned a bunch of Volfcraft devices during the years and have always been very satisfied with their products. Exellent value, well constructed & good quality. I do not expect to be dissapointed considering for what I am using it for and the fact that it will compete against a cheap SMPS which is powering my router right now.

Despite this it will be interesting to see how well the galvanic isolation is constructed. My guess it should be fairly good since it is constructed as a safety device for labs, schools etc. which is very strictly regulated stuff here in EU. I might also add a ATL DC blocker pre the Volfcraft...but are not so sure that my GF will be that happy about it. She is already fed up with all my fiber-optical madness with 10 meter fuchsia coloured wires running through our appartment, FMC here and there plus battery packs all over the place! [emoji23]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Can you blame her :)

After reading about the Conformable rigid-type coax cables I have changed my mind. I want to go for a more interesting experiment by using a twisted pair (1 meter lenght) configuration to a BNC plug with screw terminals 2 Pcs Screw Terminal Connector to BNC Male Adapter Connector Video Balun CCTV | eBay to a BNC>female F-plug BNC female jack to CCTV TV F type male plug RF coaxial adapter connector | eBay. That will give me a unshielded SAT cable that I really want! :)

After realizing that the BNC>female F plug adapter was actually 50 ohm and not 75 ohm I looked around and placed an order of these HQ 90 degree F plugs http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product/quality-f-type-plugs-90-deg-screw-terminal/NX-FT-006Q/ plus Cardas silver solder (run out of it) to make my 1m unshielded twisted pair SAT cable with my 22awg silver wires. The shield which in my case with be a wire have to be soldered...but the center pin connection is attached by a screw on this plug. I think I can manage! ?

1484758149226.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

I just made a expetiment that might give @YashN the shivers!

Frolicking around in the snow?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Note that this is my easy listening area. Only casual background music. I have no option to put the speakers on anything else.

In pictures & a few words:

1484760094107.jpg

Bags filled with clear quarts in Entreq cable cardboard boxes. Ensured that pressure is applied.

1484760175831.jpg

In position between my speakers and Auralex MoPads.

A good improvement over only MoPads. Better bass definition and clear treble! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Isolation matters! ;)

Greatly, and this is what we're doing here for power.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

In position between my speakers and Auralex MoPads.

A good improvement over only MoPads. Better bass definition and clear treble! :)

To get excellent sound with bookshelf speakers:

- put them on dedicated stands (a desk will form a resonant body)

- replace the Mopads with a test of a ball-and-cup arrangement

- also try mass loading the stands themselves

The Vibration Isolation thread has a lot more info, including the use of air cushions in addition to the ball-and-cup and various other commercial offerings or DIY ideas.

To get excellent sound with bookshelf speakers:

- put them on dedicated stands (a desk will form a resonant body)

- replace the Mopads with a test of a ball-and-cup arrangement

- also try mass loading the stands themselves

The Vibration Isolation thread has a lot more info, including the use of air cushions in addition to the ball-and-cup and various other commercial offerings or DIY ideas.

Thanks! To put it on a stand is unfortunately not an option right now. GF objects strongly.

Here is my next test:

1484764074333.jpg

Loosing low bass definition....but good focus.

Might try a ball & cup arrangement if I can find a way to make it stabile enough.

🎛️  Audio System  

A few thoughts on what we're doing here:

I had another opportunity at making yet another 3-level test, but this time the AC Filter Box is already hosting the iMac, the TV and the Blu-Ray Player, but not the SET Tube Amp, nor the SMPS or Linear PSU of the DAC.

So basically, these 3 when the AC Filter Box is already being used:

1. Default USB cable, with DAC powered by the Computer (NB: internally, the battery powers the clock and DAC chip apparently)

2. My DIY USB Connector with external power provided by an iPhone charger (you could use an iPad charger as well or a battery charger pack - and indeed I can also do this last test again)

3. My DIY USB Connector with my DIY Low-noise Linear Regulated PSU.

A friend listened and she already liked Level 1, but this is now unlistenable to me because so much details and power is lost, and the soundstage is collapsed.

At Level 2, the soundstage opens up considerably, micro-details become more apparent, like Adele taking her breath before singing Skyfall, finger articulations on guitar strings apparent with Coldplay, etc...

And of course, at Level 3, there's actually more body movements by the listener, sound separation is several levels above that of Level 2, clarity of the main vocalist is more apparent (you now hear distinctly what happens after a hard 'k' articulation), the sound stage is bigger, the bass more dynamic, perhaps a little roll-off in the highs and some rapidity lost.

What this shows is that whether I first use the custom USB connector only without AC Filter Box, or in conjunction with it, and if the latter, whether I use the connector first or second, doesn't really matter: the changes in SQ for both are readily apparent.

What I think that means is that the USB Connector is tackling the noise from the computer, now impeded towards the DAC (potentially in a couple or more ways), but doesn't perform the same function as the AC Filter box mains side.

Therefore, I tend towards the following hypothesis (I am not considering isolation transformers here in this example, but they can be very useful as well):

- The custom USB Connector, by its special configuration, not only is performing some ground isolation but is also reducing Leakage Current (of the many-device interaction type).

- In turn, the AC Filter Box, is reducing the noise re-injected by various SMPSes by virtue of their internal operation into the mains.

Conclusion: if you're not all on battery or all on Linear PSUs, you need both the interconnect work and the AC Filtering work.

Accurately mirrors my results, particularly slightly damped HF which makes the presentation rich, warm, smooth and forgiving = very analogue in nature.

You should possibly now be able to increasingly enjoy the music within lesser and even bad recordings, instead of just turning them off... try a few that you previously couldn't enjoy and see if they are now enjoyable?

3. My DIY USB Connector with my DIY Low-noise Linear Regulated PSU.

And of course, at Level 3, there's actually more body movements by the listener, sound separation is several levels above that of Level 2, clarity of the main vocalist is more apparent (you now hear distinctly what happens after a hard 'k' articulation), the sound stage is bigger, the bass more dynamic, perhaps a little roll-off in the highs and some rapidity lost.

Conclusion: if you're not all on battery or all on Linear PSUs, you need both the interconnect work and the AC Filtering work.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Accurately mirrors my results, particularly slightly damped HF which makes the presentation rich, warm, smooth and forgiving = very analogue in nature.

You should possibly now be able to increasingly enjoy the music within lesser and even bad recordings, instead of just turning them off... try a few that you previously couldn't enjoy and see if they are now enjoyable?

Way, way too busy doing research and design for the next levels of improvements on the Linear Regulated PSU.

I've already slightly tested one iteration and it was even better.

I can top even that actually (at least two levels above it I think).

To give you a feel of how the research and design is engrossing because how good the further SQ enhancements are: the Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene 3 album I received a few days ago is still in its plastic wrap.

Sure, I could have ripped it and given it a listen, but I prefer spending time with the R & D as the payoff will be so much better :D

I agree globally with that assessment, the velvety smoothness, especially with the Elna at the output is something to be heard. In my current implementation which is one step back from the best level reached, it's a tad too rolled off for me, but this can definitely be adjusted.

LOL.. keep going, agree it's worth it. Just remember why you're doing it... to enjoy your music collection.

;-)

Way, way too busy doing research and design for the next levels of improvements on the Linear Regulated PSU.

I've already slightly tested one iteration and it was even better.

I can top even that actually (at least two levels above it I think).

To give you a feel of how the research and design is engrossing because how good the further SQ enhancements are: the Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene 3 album I received a few days ago is still in its plastic bag.

Sure, I could have ripped it and given it a listen, but I prefer spending time with the R & D as the payoff will be so much better :D

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

LOL.. keep going, agree it's worth it. Just remember why you're doing it... to enjoy your music collection.

That's one of the reasons for sure, but just one.

There are many great things in life more important than audio. :D

I totally agree.

However, since the data is a positive & negative connection as well I do think that there is a lot of things that could be improved in that area. I´ll guess that leakage currents could sneak into the signal connection as well? After looking around I wonder if not opto-isolators between the positive and negative signal wires at the plug end could improve things? I know absolutely nothing about those opto-isolators but I wonder if not a couple of these screw terminal USB plugs

5pcs-usb-male-to-screw-connector-usb-plug-with-shield-connector-usb-adapter-usb2-type-a-to-screw.jpg

and a opto-isolator like for example this one https://www.elfa.se/en/opto-isolator-analogue-50-mohm-20-kohm-sub-in-sub-ma-100-db-ms-35-ms-excelitas-vtl-5c1/p/17535504?q=Vactrol&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=25&simi=87.12 inserted to the data+ and data- could be a nice experiment? In my head this would act as a DC blocker for USB data signal. Any ideas if this is a good idea or not?

🎛️  Audio System  

Iam still in the " enjoying the changes to the music" Camp than just the music it's self. My music preference has moved to what sounds more engaging searching for that extra detail.

The new Ether Flows has reset that..confusing my brain with new tonality and extra details in the music.

Now Opto isolators, life is never dull here?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Iam still in the " enjoying the changes to the music" Camp than just the music it's self. My music preference has moved to what sounds more engaging searching for that extra detail.

The new Ether Flows has reset that..confusing my brain with new tonality and extra details in the music.

Now Opto isolators, life is never dull here

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Great to hear that you are enjoying music Middy! :)

Mind you that analogue opto-isolators is just a thought. A way to block DC currents in the signal path. I have no idea if it will work good (ie. give better SQ) in pratice, but inside my head it all make sense! :D

I think I will do a simple experiment on one of my USB cables first (the one between Aries & Regen). If it works out I might add those analogue opto-isolators on my DIY ethernet and SAT cables as well, if I just can figure out a practical way to do it.

Being an audiophile is never boring if you enjoy tweaking and experimenting! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I totally agree.

However, since the data is a positive & negative connection as well I do think that there is a lot of things that could be improved in that area. I´ll guess that leakage currents could sneak into the signal connection as well? After looking around I wonder if not opto-isolators between the positive and negative signal wires at the plug end could improve things? I know absolutely nothing about those opto-isolators but I wonder if not a couple of these screw terminal USB plugs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32608[/ATTACH]

and a opto-isolator like for example this one https://www.elfa.se/en/opto-isolator-analogue-50-mohm-20-kohm-sub-in-sub-ma-100-db-ms-35-ms-excelitas-vtl-5c1/p/17535504?q=Vactrol&page=1&origPos=1&origPageSize=25&simi=87.12 inserted to the data+ and data- could be a nice experiment? In my head this would act as a DC blocker for USB data signal. Any ideas if this is a good idea or not?

Be careful. Some opto-isolator are famous for isolating from source but adding plenty of their own electrical noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Be careful. Some opto-isolator are famous for isolating from source but adding plenty of their own electrical noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Thanks a lot Jud! This is the very type of information that I would be interested in for this experiment. Do you know of any analogue opto-isolators with good reputation in this matter?

The VLT5C1 analogue opto-isolators (=optocoupler) on my link is a so called linear optocoupler which sound good to these ears! :) Also they seems to be a very popular choice.

🎛️  Audio System  

I found cheaper seller and some detailed information regarding the VTL5C1 linear optocouplers here:

Better price: OPTOISOLATORE VTL5C Vactrol Resistive Opto-isolator Optocoupler M1210CLC | eBay

Detailed info: http://www.excelitas.com/downloads/dts_vtl5c1c2.pdf

Translated info from the seller:

Optocoupler or Vactrol VTL5C generic type, consisting of an LED and a photo resistor, useful for interacting two electrically isolated circuits makes them.Known issues: These vactrol are not shielded against the entire spectrum of visible light. A simple solution is protected with heat shrink tubing or other material that blocks light.

🎛️  Audio System