IGNORED

AMR DP-777 Special Edition.

There seems to be a dearth of user information or reviews on the upgraded or new release of the AMR DP-777 Special Edition dac. I'm interested, but can't seem to track down any solid information.

Perhaps this thread may act as a focus for reviews/reports on actual experience or links.

Can anyone kick off?

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Here's the thread on the original model, with information on the SE version at the end

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-review-amr-dp-777-listening-dual-dacs-10254/index2.html#post362894

Is the SE out? It's not on the manufacturer website yet (just a brief announcement from January)

Abbingdon Music Research - Information - News

Claude

Here's the thread on the original model, with information on the SE version at the end

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/digital-analogue-converter-review-amr-dp-777-listening-dual-dacs-10254/index2.html#post362894

Is the SE out? It's not on the manufacturer website yet (just a brief announcement from January)

Abbingdon Music Research - Information - News

Thanks Claude. I'm familiar with the details of the upgrade, but it's actual user reports, reviews or comparisons with the previous version that I am after. My understanding is that the new version is available, certainly in the UK. I'm not sure about other countries, but it is being offered for sale on various websites. Then there is also the possibility that some people might be able to report on an upgraded previous version.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Hallo,

I am very interested in this model or the upgrade version. At the beginning of May I contacted the dealer in Holland and there should be a delay in delivering due to the High end Munich. End of May still no news. The dealer will contact me when there is some news but has not done this until now...

Hallo,

I am very interested in this model or the upgrade version. At the beginning of May I contacted the dealer in Holland and there should be a delay in delivering due to the High end Munich. End of May still no news. The dealer will contact me when there is some news but has not done this until now...

Thanks Tom. Do let me know how you get on with it. The break in period for the AMR DP-777 is quite long, and the Special Edition will likely be no different, but your experience along the way would be welcome.

You can try Google Translate with this review from a hi-fi site in Israel:

AMR DP-777 Signature Edition Review • HiFiMusic

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You can try Google Translate with this review from a hi-fi site in Israel:

AMR DP-777 Signature Edition Review • HiFiMusic

Thanks Firedog. I had missed that, although I had been on the site during my searches. Google translation is somewhat hard to follow and I'm not sure if the reviewer had any personal experience of the now standard DP-777. I think not except possibly at shows. There was no reference to whether the unit was well broken in prior to the review and of course no comparison with the standard version, so it was of limited value really.

It would be great if a user here with the standard version were able to compare.

AMR is probably really, really busy designing and making their now enormous ifi range

Upgrade boards for the AMR DP777 were first mentioned 20 months ago and people who have heard them say they are really good, but they don't get the AMR into DSD territory. I've exchanged the odd email with AMR but none of their board release target dates have happened.

I'm sure the SE model is even better than the base model which was already very good, but if the sole review after 6 months or so is from an Israeli site, and not in English, then they can't be said to be running on all 8 cylinders.

I've come up with my own solution, it is called a Lampizator.

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

The SE upgrade is available. I saw some boards at the US distributor Avatar Acoustics' place this past week. Cost is $1500. Contact them direct for details.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Maybe they will make a DSD capable version at some point. I'd consider it if they did. Sort of odd, as iFi is all over DSD

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The launch has certainly been a slow burn in contrast to the iFi line. I think the iFi line is being used as a testbed and research tool for future developments and further more expensive refinements to the AMR range...dacs in particular. The iFi range is offered to the market at what I consider are reasonable prices, but provides AMR with a means to R&D the AMR product.. A win win for manufacturer and enthusiasts. They don't seek crowd funding, but do actively seek suggestions from enthusiasts. I like their approach. I also like that they did not rush the DP-777 Special Edition, or Signature Edition as it is called to market. However, now that it seems to be launched it is difficult to appreciate the blunted nature of it. Perhaps they currently cannot meet demand and are being restrained or.....? It would be nice to have a press release to update the customer base, who have waited patiently and to have a little of what the iFi customers enjoy in that regard.

The upgrade, no matter which path is followed is a significant cost, and with the standard version sounding so good one needs some solid information to make decisions, especially without being able to make comparisons with the old.

Thorsten Loesch of AMR/iFi has some strong views on both PCM and DSD, which I appreciate, so AMR will be restrained in their approach to DSD implementation in the AMR dac. Again the ifi range is playing it's part there.

When you think about what is available that plays DSD - DCS, Totaldac, Nagra, Exasound, Lampizator, MSB, Chord, Light Harmonic, EMM, Meitner .... you would think AMR would be live in that segment. It is evolving quickly, lets hope they come up with a really good upgrade soon.

I've had my one for 3 years now and it has done a great job with PCM, but there is a lot going on in the DSD world.

When you think about what is available that plays DSD - DCS, Totaldac, Nagra, Exasound, Lampizator, MSB, Chord, Light Harmonic, EMM, Meitner .... you would think AMR would be live in that segment. It is evolving quickly, lets hope they come up with a really good upgrade soon.

I've had my one for 3 years now and it has done a great job with PCM, but there is a lot going on in the DSD world.

If you haven't already done so it's worth reading up on what Thorsten Loesch has said about DSD and PCM and the importance of how both modes are implemented from start to finish. Smoke and mirrors can apply in the implementation of either. I like the thoughtful approach adopted by AMR.

The launch has certainly been a slow burn in contrast to the iFi line. I think the iFi line is being used as a testbed and research tool for future developments and further more expensive refinements to the AMR range...dacs in particular. The iFi range is offered to the market at what I consider are reasonable prices, but provides AMR with a means to R&D the AMR product..

From their own words, it's the other way round: the iFi products are more affordable because the technology trickles down from the AMR products, i.e. the R & D had already been done and applied in AMR products and then some of the technology can be used in the smaller, budget products like the iFi line.

This said, their success with iFi does open up some other R&D avenues for iFi directly. Whether they will want to trickle up or not, I am not sure, but it could be a possibility, or it could be a policy not to do that.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

From their own words, it's the other way round: the iFi products are more affordable because the technology trickles down from the AMR products, i.e. the R & D had already been done and applied in AMR products and then some of the technology can be used in the smaller, budget products like the iFi line.

This said, their success with iFi does open up some other R&D avenues for iFi directly. Whether they will want to trickle up or not, I am not sure, but it could be a possibility, or it could be a policy not to do that.

Yes they do say that iFi includes some trickle down from AMR. Maybe it's a case of which comes first...the chicken or the egg.

There is a new "semi" review of the SE on The Audio Aficionado site. A "shootout" so to speak.

See DAC Shootout Part Deux: Ayre, AMR, Luxman, McIntosh - AudioAficionado.org

Nice to see the AMR up there again

Thanks both for the link. Best information yet. Looking forward to other reviews as they filter through.

The details of the upgrades were a little 'understated'. The link below goes into a lot more detail.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tg3cej4dz1ijrok/AMR%20announces%20777%20SE%20range%20-%20Jan%202015%20%28full%20details%29.pdf?dl=0

In case you are asked to sign up for Dropbox no need unless you want to. Just click out of the sign up box and download as normal.

I would guess both AMR's were played in default Bit Perfect 11 mode through the Classic dac. Would be interesting if Bit Perfect 1 were compared. I like Bit Perfect 1. To me it brings additional transparency, more clearly defined leading note edges overall, including bass. Maybe that's the effect of omitting the analogue filter of Bit Perfect 11.

If you haven't already done so it's worth reading up on what Thorsten Loesch has said about DSD and PCM and the importance of how both modes are implemented from start to finish. Smoke and mirrors can apply in the implementation of either. I like the thoughtful approach adopted by AMR.

You mean like "Chipless DSD", which is essentailly the purest way to playback DSD out there at the moment?

You mean like "Chipless DSD", which is essentailly the purest way to playback DSD out there at the moment?

I wouldn't try to explain his views better than himself in this interview....Q&A with Thorsten Loesch of AMR/iFi | AudioStream

To be honest I had never heard of Chipless DSD until you mentioned it. I will try and educate myself :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Liam,

The dealer in Holland stops with AMR. In their opinion the service was not good enough. I am going to listen to their last models of the DP-777 they have still in stock, so no SE for me. The article about the DAC shootout on Audio Aficionado says there is not a very huge difference between the normal and SE model. That was useful information for me and I still think this is a special product. Will let you know about the outcome but there will be no answer coming about the break-in period for a AMR dp-777 SE. It is a pity that this product is so poorly represented.

To be honest I had never heard of Chipless DSD until you mentioned it. I will try and educate myself :-)

Reading about the latest Lampizator DSD DACs would help here, as well as considering DSD as very analogous to analogue (sound pressure in air). Output it on a pin, and you only need a normal low-pass analogue filter to hear sound.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Liam,

The dealer in Holland stops with AMR. In their opinion the service was not good enough. I am going to listen to their last models of the DP-777 they have still in stock, so no SE for me. The article about the DAC shootout on Audio Aficionado says there is not a very huge difference between the normal and SE model. That was useful information for me and I still think this is a special product. Will let you know about the outcome but there will be no answer coming about the break-in period for a AMR dp-777 SE. It is a pity that this product is so poorly represented.

I'm sorry your plans are being frustrated. Personally I have found both AMR and iFi to be immediately responsive to any queries I have made with them and I have never found any difficulty in securing product. One has to be cautious as there can be two sides to any story.

I feel though that if you cannot hold out any longer that you will be very happy with the DP-777. I never tire listening. This morning it was Dean Martin crooning and smooching as he does and it was quite compelling. Still if it is the new version you really want why not try other sources or contact AMR direct and tell them of your disappointment. I feel certain that they will be helpful from my own experience.

I started this thread because of a thirst for information about the DP-777SE in use. Yes the rollout of the new unit has been slow from the first announcement, but the scope of the upgrade was broadened incrementally from the first announcement, which inevitably would shove out market availability. AMR don't bring out new models on a regular basis like some companies, but rather, it seems to me, aim to produce a product that will give long term satisfaction from considered use of technology, and consequently also hold its value. The proof of their approach is in the consistency of the performance of the DP-777 against all comers.

I bought the DP-777, a wonderful machine. I use it as (a second) pre-amplifier for my power amplifier Yamaha mx-a5000. Audio quest will make a special cable for that connection. I can always upgrade the AMR, but have to send it to England in that case. Not much information about that procedure (again).

Until now I used the T+A dac8, but could not believe the improvement with the AMR. I am happy!