IGNORED

AMR DP-777 Special Edition.

Even when one of the analog input is set to 0db? I just need that for doing HT bypass, but I cant set it every time I turn the unit on.

When I set input 6 (analog connection for my Oppo 95) to 0db, volume indication in display changes to byp. Bypass is then set for all inputs and is still set for all inputs after a restarting from standby.

Firmware of my 777SE is 3.7. No matter, I performed a factory reset just to ensure all works as intended.

• 1 month later...

Hi Liam,

I just got my upgraded DP777 SE, just break in around 30 hours. I felt the sound of the old one is warmer than this SE version.

Based on your experience, does it becoming warmer after 100 or 175 hours break in. ? What do you hear any differences after 100, 200 hours break in. Seems forever to get to these hours.

Hi Liam,

I just got my upgraded DP777 SE, just break in around 30 hours. I felt the sound of the old one is warmer than this SE version.

Based on your experience, does it becoming warmer after 100 or 175 hours break in. ? What do you hear any differences after 100, 200 hours break in. Seems forever to get to these hours.

30 hours is a very short time. You should find that the sound 'relaxes' and mellows as time passes. I felt this at about 175 hours, but it is a gradual process. I think I said just about all I experienced in my earlier posts here in this thread, and as posted in the thread, link below, where a comparison between several dacs was made, which should give you a cross section flavour of people's views.

DAC Shootout Part Deux: Ayre, AMR, Luxman, McIntosh - AudioAficionado.org

In overall terms to sum up I would say that the original DP-777 was 'darker'. More closed in, or not as open or transparent if you will. The Special Edition is also more dynamic, with faster rise times. The soundstage is blacker, and more 3D. Timbres are spot on.

Do bear in mind though, when your SE has settled, that time spent, like with most equipment, experimenting with shelving and isolation or coupling, will affect results. With HiFi gear everything matters in my experience. As a result, whilst I love to read of others experiences with gear and use it as a guide, I always temper with the knowledge that what the honest reviewer imparts is the experience by that person in that environment, and with the setup and peripherals used. That said I think it is fair to say that most people see the DP-777 Special Edition as an upgrade.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your input, I will keep burning this in. I turn it overnight using its volume control connecting to amp.. it helps. I am using Cary 805 C single ended with Nordost Tyr interconnect and Heimdall speaker cable, Kimber power cord and one Valhalla power cord.

It is magical, I felt the mid high is more and consequently the mid bass is less. This probably will be reduced when it breaks in.

If not, I am with you, I will find other area to adjust, such as cable, isolation etc..

I will keep you posted after 175 hours.

Hi Steven,

I like the upgrade so far, hoping the mid high is more relax, less forward, which hopefully will make the midbass more body, similar character to the DP777. I always think about how you employ 1500 usd to your system to get the best result. It is all depends on you system. Overall, this SE played on Cary 805 C single ended with Tyr Nordost interconnect, Heimdall speaker and Kimber power cord and 1 Valhalla power cord delivery magical music. I am with Liam, once it settles, I will need to find other area to change to improve it if necessary.

From my experience with DP777, it needs to be matched with good USB cable, I tried Nordost Blue Heaven, Tellurium, Wywired, audioquest coffee, diamond. I bought audio quest diamond which deliver very good overall music and tonal balance. but after I tried all IFI product, Mercury, Gemini, I USB power, I purifier, The audio quest Diamond was retired. This sets up delivery analog music, very musical and enjoyable listening for hours.

Have fun..

Your USB peripherals are along similar lines to myself, as detailed in my signature. The DP-777 ( either version) does not use USB power, so I sold my iUSB Power, going for a shorter less convoluted path from the Mac Mini ie a .75 meter iFi Gemini. Only the signal leg is connected to the Mac Mini and via an iPurifier 1 at the Dac. The iPurifier is fed power from an Aqvox Linear PSU, which I already had, via the power leg of the Gemini cable, which is not connected to the Mac Mini at all. I will explore the IPurifier 2 as finance permits.

I made a few other HiFi purchases lately, so things are tight for the present. One cable you might try, if you are minded to, is the Townshend DCT 300 interconnect, which is one of the recent acquisitions. Prior to that I was using one I made myself with UPOCC solid copper in cotton insulation. Parallel wires, no screen, Eichmann Bullit plugs. Very low capacitance. This worked well and satisfied for a good while. The Townshend DCT 300 provides a richer sound with sweeter top and let's the fantastic base of the DP-777 SE be more fully exploited. Very black soundstage, deep and wide, if on the recording, and improved timbres overall as against my own DIY one. Late night jazz saxephone, Mmmm very sexy, if you know what I mean.

Try Ikea thick bamboo cutting boards under your gear, with whatever else you like to try with them.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Hi Liam, Ordered upgrade boards for DP-777 today so told will take a week to come then i can send my Dac for upgrade,will pickup IFI USB cable same time from Select Audio,with DP-777 not using power from USB and i am using Aries Femto version as source would Mercury or Gemini USB cable be best?do you think i would benefit from any other IFI products between DP-777se and Aries Femto?

Hi Liam, Ordered upgrade boards for DP-777 today so told will take a week to come then i can send my Dac for upgrade,will pickup IFI USB cable same time from Select Audio,with DP-777 not using power from USB and i am using Aries Femto version as source would Mercury or Gemini USB cable be best?do you think i would benefit from any other IFI products between DP-777se and Aries Femto?

Hi Steven. I went for the Gemini to keep the USB power far away from the signal. I parted with my iUSB when I got the first DP-777 and fed an iPurifier alone with a Aqvox Linear PSU, in the hope that the cleaner power might assist to produce a better output. I already had the Aqvox so just used it. I didn't do any comparisons.

I do intend to explore the iUSB 3 and iPurifier2 to see if either or both would be helpful or complimentary. The iUSB 3 probably more for its added features, rather than it's power element.

Hi Liam,

Thanks very helpful

I had a look on the iFi site since and it would seem that the iPurifier 2 would be adequate for the DP-777's. The new features of the iUSB 3 are also added to the original features of the iPurifier in it's version 2, and as the clean power of the iUSB is not required by the DP-777's some money can be saved. In addition it saves the expense of a second USB cable. Actually, I came across a posting by Thorsten Loesch where he was using the original iPurifier only with his own DP-777. That was good enough for me :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone have experiences with dp777se used together with a streamer like ex aries? Does this give more details in the highs than using a imac?

Just out of curiosity, what filters do you use to get the best out of your dacs? Personally i fell in love with the mp listen.

-Chris

Hi Chris i don't have any experience using imac but i have DP-777 getting upgraded at moment to se and use Aries femto version streamer,the sound is beautifully detailed in highs and i don't feel i'm missing anything there i can comment closer to ur setup when i get my DP-777se back from upgrade next week sometime hopefully,i use Dac on Bit-Perfect II but that's depending on the recording if its a good mastered recording Bit-Perfect II to me sounds best but i can get better sound from poorer mastered recordings by experimenting with filter settings or sometimes up sampling it's great having 2 Dac's to pick from.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris i listen around -30 when i can but normal listening around -35,maybe that's your speakers sweet spot i have upgraded my speakers last week to Wilson Benesch Trinity's and these baby's go load and never sound stressed i had the Kef R500 before but with the Trinity's this Dac performs on another level,i am having problems upgrading to SE as dealer does not seem interested this is second time i have tried to arrange upgrade with him so i am going to try and find someone who will send me the upgrade kit and do it myself

+1 to what Steven said about speakers sweet spot. I listen mostly also from about -40 to -30 during the daytime, and lower at night. Never noticed anything I would associate to the dac though. My B&W 805S like to be driven a bit, but I'm semi detached, so have to respect the neighbours.

I have my dp-777se connected to the pre-amplifier. Still considering to make the connection directly to the power amp but I am still burning in; have not reached 200 hours.

I tend to prefer bye passing the pre and going directly to my AM-777 amp. Nice to have the option though.