IGNORED

AMR DP-777 Special Edition.

For some reason playing audiofiles from my NAS to a Auralic Aries and a Mutec MC3+ to my AMR DP-777es sounding better than playing  MQA from Tidal. Both with help of an Apple Ipad. I can't quite explain that difference, but besides this inferior result I agree with you that MQA seems to go the same way as SACD, DSD or DVDaudio....

A few ideas. You up sampling from Tidal? You using the Organic chip in the AMR and not the (horrible) DS chip?

Are you playing Tidal on the Auralic or on your iPad or Laptop? The Mutec will help reduce jitter especially the USB version (better clock and XMOS chip). The best input for the AMR is the BNC on the valve input, not the USB input which will encourage digital noise. Audirvana+ plays Tidal much better than the Tidal app which is poor quality even at full resolution.

Hope this helps.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a DP-777 pre-SE version. I got it 15 months back new from a UK dealer. I use it as a spare DAC, so it has about 5 months use on it. A few days ago I needed to use it again and it refuses to power up. Just dead. I checked the fuse, and all good. No tubes or transformer hum, so nothing is coming into the PS IMO. Possibly the delay divice near the AC to the PS PCB has gone? There is no signs of burning. On the initiual switch on nothing either or since. Just dead.

Is there an internal fuse? I can't see one. I am really pissed as I can see a board replacement is going to cost nearly 1K. This DAC design does seem to be unreliable looking at the web. It looks well built inside, nice and neat, mostly good parts. I suspect the delay startup box (Chinese made). But I will have no idea unless it goes back the HQ.

Any advice guys. I have talked to AMR tech (Now iFi) but nothing they have said beyond 'have you checked the mains fuse in the R10).

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you contact the dealer. Most likely you will need to send the unit, probably direct, to AMR for evaluation. AMR and iFi customer relations are very good and I will be surprised if you are not looked after well.

I have had my DP-777 SE for coming up on two years and my AM-777 amp for three years no issues at all.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Oh I should have mentioned that I had the DP-777 before I got the SE version and that worked away fine. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

• 3 months later...
On 14/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, astrostar59 said:

I have a DP-777 pre-SE version. I got it 15 months back new from a UK dealer. I use it as a spare DAC, so it has about 5 months use on it. A few days ago I needed to use it again and it refuses to power up. Just dead. I checked the fuse, and all good. No tubes or transformer hum, so nothing is coming into the PS IMO. Possibly the delay divice near the AC to the PS PCB has gone? There is no signs of burning. On the initiual switch on nothing either or since. Just dead.

Is there an internal fuse? I can't see one. I am really pissed as I can see a board replacement is going to cost nearly 1K. This DAC design does seem to be unreliable looking at the web. It looks well built inside, nice and neat, mostly good parts. I suspect the delay startup box (Chinese made). But I will have no idea unless it goes back the HQ.

Any advice guys. I have talked to AMR tech (Now iFi) but nothing they have said beyond 'have you checked the mains fuse in the R10).

The DP-777 looks well done inside. Polished and beautiful. However, the aesthetics must not cloud the mind. Mine has broken twice (USB and mobo). So yes, no reliable at all.

At this moment, I would like to ask the community whether spending more than $1k  in an upgrade to SE version (dating already from 2015) or put my money in a recent DAC. Is there any modern $1k-$2k  DAC better than DP-777SE?. I've read about Oppo Sonica, X-Sabre Pro.  Yggy is more expensive, and everyone looks in love with it, but is it better?.

Hi Cortes.  I upgraded from the standard DP-777 to the SE in December 2015, so just over two years now. I bought both new. I haven’t had any issues.

The SE was a worthwhile upgrade. I wrote about my experience on a few forums. A search might throw my comments up. I have no desire to make a change. I listen exclusively to Red Book from Qobuz HiFi.

I can’t help you though with alternative DACs. I do think though that you should avail of an opportunity to audition something from a different stable at home before making a choice. With regard to the DP-777 SE though, it is the overall flavor of the standard version, but better all round in my opinion. If you like the sound of the standard 777, it would be a safer bet sound wise than a leap of faith to an alternative marque.

On 16.10.2017 at 1:54 AM, Liam said:

If you haven't already done so I suggest you contact the dealer. Most likely you will need to send the unit, probably direct, to AMR for evaluation. AMR and iFi customer relations are very good and I will be surprised if you are not looked after well.

We'd strongly suggest to do so as well.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask what the process is to fit replacement tubes? I wanted to pop the cover and fit new ones myself (bought from AMR first). Has anyone done this??????

23 hours ago, astrostar59 said:

Can I ask what the process is to fit replacement tubes? I wanted to pop the cover and fit new ones myself (bought from AMR first). Has anyone done this??????

Yes it is possible, I’ve done it several times. Best to make a “ticket” on amr website and from there you’ll get all the help that is needed.

The dp777 sounds wonderfull, looks great and is built like a tank by the way, never had any issues and their support is very good. 

On 12.02.2018 at 8:41 PM, astrostar59 said:

Please open the top cover of your DP-777, remove shielding of each tubes by unscrewing it, then remove a tube, insert new one, attach shielding and top cover next and... that's it. If you need any additional questions, feel free to ask us here: 

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,
User of the AMR DP-777 SE since 2 months, I test the different possible configurations to integrate it better in my system. It is a very musical converter, never tiring to listen. It brings a real sound scene both in width and depth. I tried to bypass the preamplifier part, to adjust the volume only with the Audirvana player. On some songs, this configuration brings more dynamic, natural and less coloring of the message. On the other hand, at other times, the slight heat provided while keeping the preamplifier is interesting.

Anyway, the concern is that if I bypass the preamplifier, the volume is full and causes an annoying noise output speakers. I can not eliminate this "pshit" and it does not seem to come from the electric current, or the mac mini, simply the volume of the source is too strong. Can it come from the converter?

If other users have encountered this problem, thank you for your feedback.

Thanks

System : MacMini (Audirvana 3.2) + NAS HS251+ (with Uptone JS-2) - USB > Bel Canto Ref link - AES-EBU > AMR DP-777 SE - XLR > Amplifier ATC P1 > Speakers AudioSolutions Rhapsody 130.

Jean-Bernard, from France

44 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

How does your system sound when comparing AES-EBU vs USB?

The USB input on the AMR is not so hot. I bet you will find the SPDIF is the best input, and use an USB to SPDIF convertor for galvanic isolation. I use a Rednet 3 and Ethernet then SPDIF out. The AMR has a nice tube SPDIF input, shame not to use that IMO.

On the noise issue with direct, not sure what to suggest. Have you checked your cables and keeping them away from mains cables etc.

I use a passive pre. Using volume in Audirvana+ is not good as you loose resolution by reducing the volume digitally, lets bits. Best to use a passive or an active pre-amp.

Thank you for your feedback. My experience is that indeed the USB input, even tested quickly did not convince me. Especially since I already had a RefLink that allows me to convert USB to SP/DIF or AES/EBU. I left at first on a cable SP/DIF Vertere which gave me rather good results, then after a council of friend, I tested a cable AES/EBU Tellurium Q (not at the same price ... almost x10 !) that is just amazing and reveals the full potential of the AMR DP-777. It seems to me that the SP/DIF input, like the AES uses the valve input stage. In any case, on my system it is clearly the best. For the noise, I unplugged, then reconnected all the cables, if it's a little better, there is a slight noise, a little embarrassing, but I wanted to know if it was not a problem known to this converter.

Unfortunately I don’t own the “SE” (yet), but I’m really happy with the DP777, it’s a wonderfull dac. I started of with USB from a Sotm sms200, but later converted this signal to spdif by a Schiit Eitr. I was impressed by the result. But I disliked all the extra boxes and cables in order to get the sound I wanted (sms200, power supply, usb, uptone regen, power supply, usb, Eitr, power supply, spdif cable......sight).

So I started looking for a more simple setup with the same, or even better sound quality. This led me to the usb output of a small footprint passive cooled Windows server 2016 and Audiophile Optimizer (see my signature for more details). The best part is that there’s lots of room for improvement and the sound is already stunning.

What I’m trying to say is that the source might be the weakest link, not the input of the DP-777. At least that’s my conclusion and wanted to share it with you.

If your interested, a Windows Server 2016 essential costs around 50 dollar if you know where to look. A small footprint Intel celeron j1900 computer for example costs around 350, Audiophile Optimizer is 130, so for less then 600 you’re settled. From there you can add lots of things to further improve, like a better power supply like the Sotm sps500

Indeed, we share the same point of view, while having different sources. Being a professional mac user for 20 years, I logically focused on the optimization of the mac mini. Every improvement was immediately felt (removal of the hard disk, use of a NAS for music files, OS on SD card, optimization scripts, Uptone MMK kit and now with the JS-2 ...). So between the logical approach that we impose ourselves and our tests of materials according to our possibilities, we advance the quality of listening, with different paths. It is in this that these forums are interesting to discover the solutions used!

• 5 years later...

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy an AMR DP-777 SE second hand in good condition for $1600 US.

So, I like to take advice from AMR DP-777 SE users. What about the volume control issue and overall reliability?

Is it worth buying it now?