IGNORED

AMR DP-777 Special Edition.

+1 to what Steven said about speakers sweet spot. I listen mostly also from about -40 to -30 during the daytime, and lower at night. Never noticed anything I would associate to the dac though. My B&W 805S like to be driven a bit, but I'm semi detached, so have to respect the neighbours.

It depends on the source and input I use: my Aurender via USB or AES/EBU input sounds best to me at -30 db while my cable receivers Digital input is adequate at -40 db and the analogue input of my phono pre needs at least to be set to -20 db to rock the house with my Sonus Faber speakers.

Anyone no of a dealer in uk who can send me upgrade parts for my AMR DP-777 or can do upgrade for me if not possible? I have been trying for 3 months to get Stephen from Select Audio to do it i have made numerous phone calls and 2 weeks ago i thought i was getting somewhere but i am still waiting without a clue whats happening,just received my new speakers and i had hoped to have Dac upgraded at same time i am frustrated,i emailed AMR two times 3 months ago as there is no dealer near me but they never replied so don't know what to do now.

Anyone no of a dealer in uk who can send me upgrade parts for my AMR DP-777 or can do upgrade for me if not possible? I have been trying for 3 months to get Stephen from Select Audio to do it i have made numerous phone calls and 2 weeks ago i thought i was getting somewhere but i am still waiting without a clue whats happening,just received my new speakers and i had hoped to have Dac upgraded at same time i am frustrated,i emailed AMR two times 3 months ago as there is no dealer near me but they never replied so don't know what to do now.

Steven,

I had a simular problem as the representation for AMR in Holland ended. I contacted AMR who told me about AV Class, located in Breda, Holland. According to their site they are doing business in Europe, where Scotland is still part of, I hope. I could trade in my DP-777 for a dp-777se at a reasonable price. Maybe you can contact them by email (which I did) because they are not much of a shop, more Internet business. I had contact with Thomas, who told me he had more se’s. The internet site can be found at AVCLASS - Engineering, Audiovisual system design, Technical service, Products update hi-fi and home cinema online store at competitive prices. Maybe a possible solution for you?

With regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom I just received an email from select audio saying I can send in my Dp-777 next week for upgrade,said they had some problems with flooding which set them back so will cross my fingers and hope all ends well!! I will contact AV class if things fall through thanks again Tom.

Hope it turns out well in flooded Scotland. I wonder if there is a difference between an upgraded DP-777 and a DSP-777se. Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my DP-777 SE new Tom, having traded my standard DP-777, so I have no direct experience, but there is a considerable benefit in the SE version over the standard version. That benefit should translate to an upgraded dac as everything that is new in the SE version is replaced in the upgraded old dac.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

I did two things recently which brought definite benefits to my sound.

I replaced my home made interconnects (high purity single solid core copper in cotton dielectric- no screen- very low capacitance) with Townshend DC-300 Interconnect. Sweeter top, deeper bottom and better tonality all round resulted, though I had been happy with the originals for quite a while.

The second thing was what I treated myself to for Christmas and I have written about on a thread I started about my experience with the Acoustic Revive RR-888 Schumann Resonance generator, and also a portable shelf I dreamed up for it.

I post the link here for those who use or fancy the DP-777 SE. These two items brought me very worthwhile improvements with my setups, including to the iFi Retro 50 I use in the living room when the acoustic RR-888 is used there.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/acoustic-revive-rr-888-portable-shelf-26879/

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

The Townshend interconnects are DCT 300.

Anyone compared this to the la Scala mkii? Both seem to be highly regarded for tube based dacs. Also does the 777se have a true xlr output? My preamp doesn't have any rca inputs and prefer not to use the xlr-Rca converter

Hi Drabbis. No I have not compared the la Scala mkII, so can't help you there. However with regard to the DP-777 SE it does not have a true xlr output, but it has both RCA and XLR outputs. AMR have dealt with that aspect in print and have some plain speaking on it. You may find it on their site. I will make a search later for it. Just a bit pressed for time now.

Hi Drabbis. No I have not compared the la Scala mkII, so can't help you there. However with regard to the DP-777 SE it does not have a true xlr output, but it has both RCA and XLR outputs. AMR have dealt with that aspect in print and have some plain speaking on it. You may find it on their site. I will make a search later for it. Just a bit pressed for time now.

Found an AMR explanation as to why in their case they us single ended XLR outputs. See response to first question in the FAQS.

Abbingdon Music Research - Information - Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks for the info!

You are welcome, and if I may say welcome to computeraudiophile -:)

Thanks for the info!

Hi Drabbis check out post #349 on this page. It elaborates further on AMR/iFi thinking on balanced outputs. May provide you with further assurance. :)

Happy New year everyone!! Well big shout out to Stephen from Select Audio for arranging upgrading of my DP-777se all done in a few working days and now back with me,breaking in now and i am very excited,recently had the opportunity to trade in my Kef R500 towards a pare of Wilson Benesch Trinity speakers so it will be very hard for me to pickup on differences with only listening to DP-777 with Trinitys for around a week before upgraded to se i do know though i love this Dac

Happy New year everyone!! Well big shout out to Stephen from Select Audio for arranging upgrading of my DP-777se all done in a few working days and now back with me,breaking in now and i am very excited,recently had the opportunity to trade in my Kef R500 towards a pare of Wilson Benesch Trinity speakers so it will be very hard for me to pickup on differences with only listening to DP-777 with Trinitys for around a week before upgraded to se i do know though i love this Dac

Great news Steven. Stephen of Select Audio is a great bloke to have any dealings with. Very obliging and does his best to satisfy.

I think despite the speakers change that you will nevertheless appreciate the improved performance of the SE. The bass is in another league for depth, control and detail. The overall sound is more dynamic. There is better front to back differentiation and the top is open and sweet. Enjoy :)

Hi Liam yes you are right i have no problem noticing improvements,i loved the DP-777 but the upgrade just takes things up a notch every area seems to be improved but taking that into context the original DP was an amazing Dac so any improvements was always going to result in something special,when i received my DP-777se yesterday courier dropped of 2 boxes and as i was in bed from night shift didn't check till afternoon,they sent me 2 DP-777se one was mine and other belonged to a lad from England who had his sent to me by mistake,luckily i noticed without having to open his box so should be on its way back to him, now to get some hours on her i love this hobby lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the question has partially been asked but not answered: does anyone know whether upgrading the dp-777 will deliver a machine that is EXACTLY like the currently sold SE? I'm asking because among the upgrades they describe thus: ""Completely re-designed 4-layer gold-plated circuits boards)". It would seem that achieving such an upgrade would require replacing all the PCM, which means most of the internal circuitry. Do they really do all that changes when you send your 777 back?

Thank you Steven.

Another question, more theoretical. Do I get it right if I say that of the 2 conversion systems in the dp-777 one is a non oversampling r2r with no digital filter whatsoever and the other is a delta sigma with oversampling and a choice of several filters? Yet both can take 24/192 signals as input?

Or am I getting something wrong?

Yes you are correct mostly, only Hi Rez Dac can play 24/192 but Dac will automatically switch between Dac chips depending on sample rate,you can do everything manually if you want using AMR to up sample in hardware with AMR digital engine using FPGA and Dsp chips but r2r Dac is optimized for CD quality and as far as i remember only plays that sample rate but it has its own filter settings optimized for redbook

Thank you Steven.

Another question, more theoretical. Do I get it right if I say that of the 2 conversion systems in the dp-777 one is a non oversampling r2r with no digital filter whatsoever and the other is a delta sigma with oversampling and a choice of several filters? Yet both can take 24/192 signals as input?

I think all DACs have some kind of filter; without it you'd have too much noise in the signal.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thank you Steven.

Thanks. Which means that if I upsample with a player like HQplayer (or others) than I will not be able to use the r2r conversion chip but automatically the signal will be sent to the other, right?

I was asking because dacs like the Aqua La Scala MkII have a non oversampling technology with no digital filters (see specs here LA SCALA MKII precision R2R dac DFD decoder) and it seems they are a better match with transports like HQP who give their best in the upsampling mode.

Just wanted to be sure I understand the logics behind that, SQ is of course another issue, and the most important one.

I guess I found the answer in the dac's manual, where it is written:

For an Input Sampling Frequency of 88.2kHz or above, under the Classic DAC, only Bit-Perfect I is available. This is because the specialanalogue filter under Bit-Perfect II is not required for these higher sampling frequencies. However, for the best sound from sampling frequencies of88.2kHz or higher, we recommend the use of the HD DAC or just press the “AMR” button for the optimal playback configuration.