IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I hear you 100%. But, the faster the interface the less TIME it is used. I don’t know if faster interfaces have more noise due to higher speeds. No clue. 

The faster interfaces are *required* to have much less noise despite the higher speeds. The technical requirements become nothing short of magic.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Less noise on the line but what about power requirements for the phy?

Yesterday, my transceivers were "upgraded" from fs.com SFP+s to finisar SFP+s. The only difference in spec is that the fs.com SFP+ is also compatible with 1gbps Intel NIC cards. The difference in SQ was quite a surprise. The finisars deliver much more harmonic detail and PRAT. A friend gave me this tip otherwise I'd have never done this. @ray-dude is correct, this change was based on empirical evidence. Also, with used finisars available at $12 each on Ebay, there was little to lose.

This was after "upgrading" from a 850nm MM to 1310nm SM SFP+. That was also a surprising jump in SQ. My understanding is that the MMs use leds, not true lasers, so that may cause the difference in SQ.

And yes, faster communications means less power demand, but there are many places in my system where things sound better with green enhancements switched off.

We talk a lot about power supply, but not enough about power demand.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, FIndingit said:

Finisar SFP+ 1310nm are much more than $12 at the moment. Lots of cheap Finisar SFP 850s on the other hand. 

Hi NOT FIndingit,

They are right there on the ebay US site. Keep looking.  Clue: there are white label Avago models as well of the same spec.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 hours ago, lmitche said:

Yesterday, my transceivers were "upgraded" from fs.com SFP+s to finisar SFP+s. The only difference in spec is that the fs.com SFP+ is also compatible with 1gbps Intel NIC cards.

There are dual speed Finisars 10/1gbs and what I use.

Let's see this one is a dual single mode: https://www.finisar.com/sites/default/files/downloads/finisar_ftlx1475d3bcv_10g-1g_dual_rate_10gbase-lr-lw_1000base-lx_10km_1310nm_single_mode_datacom_sfp_optical_transceiver_productspecrevb1.pdf

I am a huge fan of Finisar.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

The 10gbe and faster serdes/asics maintain the very tight noise requirements *end-to-end* not just on the line. The specs are very demanding. Aside from networks, the eye pattern requirements for PCIe-4 are such that, for example, Intel is not yet able to meet despite the CPU being "enabled" ... its the low noise system requirements that have been giving the Intel platform trouble... I mention 10Gbe and up because that spec was the first to impose the end-to-end testing requirement, so-called "stressed eye pattern" testing.

65W_26049_0_Letter_0.pdf 5.5 MB · 1 download

Very cool. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

28 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Hi NOT FIndingit,

They are right there on the ebay US site. Keep looking.  Clue: there are white label Avago models as well of the same spec.

Or, they could be counterfeit.  Do not underestimate the possibility of Chinese counterfeit products at "too good to be true" prices on eBay.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

Only issue with FS is shipping speed. I just received 280 SR LC's and it took 5 weeks. 

Yeah but $12 for 30m lc-lc single mode?

The big win for single mode, aside from optics, is that the same cable can be used from 1Gbe -> 100Gbe, i.e. the cables are much cheaper and offset the increased price of optics.

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Yeah but $12 for 30m lc-lc single mode?

The big win for single mode, aside from optics, is that the same cable can be used from 1Gbe -> 100Gbe, i.e. the cables are much cheaper and offset the increased price of optics.

Not my call. Existing campus cabling is all MM and they aren't going to spend $1.2 million pulling new SM. Any new fiber is SM thankfully. 

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I get these single mode cables. Free 2 day shipping. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MYOJVKD

You want DUPLEX cables though, unless you are listening to mono recordings? 😂

jk, you want DUPLEX cables ... and yeah no problem as these go up to 10m. fs.com offers really cheap prices on custom lengths. For example I go with 3.0mm jackets which are much sturdier when pulling through walls.

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Question for you guys, what’s difference between bi-directional single mode on a single wire and duplex single mode on dual wire?

The SFP(+) modules use duplex single mode (or duplex multimode)

12 minutes ago, lmitche said:

6 six pieces of used finisars 1310nm SPF+ are still available on Ebay at $12 each,

Barrows, even if they are counterfeit, they sound better than the fs.com SFPs they replace.

What setup are you able to hear these real-time differences on?