IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

You have to love the boasting by AQVOX.

AQVOX was the first company who discovered that the USB-Power from the computer is degrading the sound quality and we invented the LowNoise USB-Power solution with ultra short USB-Adaptors.

This was being discussed, and other solutions posted in C.A. by various members WELL before AQVOX made their PSU available !

Just that it looked like a wall-wart in the photo.

It's a 5VA transformer inside the case, which only leaves room for basic DC filtering and voltage regulation. A more expensive dedicated Linear PSU would almost certainly outperform it in this application

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I was simply surprised since the Regen is meant to clean up the AC noise and packet stuff. I run the Regen(s) off the JS-2, but I suppose could try a rather nice LPSU I have (on the desktop system) into my BADA USB Alpha. Hadn't even thought of it, so I asked.

Just as reminder to those just joining, the REGEN performs 2 completely separate functions:

1) For the data it produces a entirely new USB signal of high integrity (that's rise-time, amplitude, edge-jitter, noise, etc.--all the stuff seen with an eye-pattern test) and proper impedance match--right at the input of the DAC so that the DAC's own USB input PHY chip and processor stay "calm" and generate less ground-plane and packet-noise INSIDE the DAC. This is the big thing that differentiates the REGEN from all other current devices.

2) For the USB power side we completely ignore the 5V coming in on pin 1 of the USB cable and use the best-in-class 1A ultra-low-noise regulator, the TI TPS7A4700 along with a ultra-low-ESR 220uF capacitor, etc. to provide clean 5VDC to DACs that require it.

I like the AQVOX folks, and indeed they were one of the first to commercialize a PS with a hand-made USB B>B adaptor to "inject" cleaner 5V between the cable and DAC at the input. While I do not know what style of linear regulation they are using in the USB 5V supply they offer, and noise specs absolutely do not tell the whole story of PS performance, for comparison they state a noise spec of 0.1mV and the regulators we use in the REGEN (two of them, one at 3.3V for the hub chip, the other at 5V for the VBUS) are rated at 0.00417mV noise (from 10Hz to 100kHz).

And fed by the also exceptional JS-2 as you are doing Saurabh, I think you have it pretty well covered. :)

The usb port in raspberry pi is shared with ethernet. Why not buy cubietruck and install rune? Excellent sound quality with minimal cost.

Hi,

Gain is not adjustable. It is 26.

Speaker efficiency is 91 db

Problem is not evident with the Macbook Pro.

It is something with the Raspberry Pi I think, I guess you get what you pay for :)

It is just a project now, to get the sound working well from a $50 computer.

It is all in fun and not expecting anything other than some fun experimenting.

That is what, simple-mindedly, I had thought too.

You have to love the boasting by AQVOX.

This was being discussed, and other solutions posted in C.A. by various members WELL before AQVOX made their PSU available !

It's a 5VA transformer inside the case, which only leaves room for basic DC filtering and voltage regulation. A more expensive dedicated Linear PSU would almost certainly outperform it in this application

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Yess.

Just as reminder to those just joining, the REGEN performs 2 completely separate functions:

1) For the data it produces a entirely new USB signal of high integrity (that's rise-time, amplitude, edge-jitter, noise, etc.--all the stuff seen with an eye-pattern test) and proper impedance match--right at the input of the DAC so that the DAC's own USB input PHY chip and processor stay "calm" and generate less ground-plane and packet-noise INSIDE the DAC. This is the big thing that differentiates the REGEN from all other current devices.

2) For the USB power side we completely ignore the 5V coming in on pin 1 of the USB cable and use the best-in-class 1A ultra-low-noise regulator, the TI TPS7A4700 along with a ultra-low-ESR 220uF capacitor, etc. to provide clean 5VDC to DACs that require it.

I like the AQVOX folks, and indeed they were one of the first to commercialize a PS with a hand-made USB B>B adaptor to "inject" cleaner 5V between the cable and DAC at the input. While I do not know what style of linear regulation they are using in the USB 5V supply they offer, and noise specs absolutely do not tell the whole story of PS performance, for comparison they state a noise spec of 0.1mV and the regulators we use in the REGEN (two of them, one at 3.3V for the hub chip, the other at 5V for the VBUS) are rated at 0.00417mV noise (from 10Hz to 100kHz).

And fed by the also exceptional JS-2 as you are doing Saurabh, I think you have it pretty well covered. :)

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

Will the Regen have any improvement fitted between an Oppo105 and a portable Seagate HDD?

I would expect that it does , despite the 105 having a Linear PSU.

USB memory and USB HDDs sound better when powered via a low noise +5V Linear PSU and a modified USB cable (no +5V) into an Oppo 103.

I wonder if there are any other Melbourne members who could assist you in finding out with their Regens ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The usb port in raspberry pi is shared with ethernet. Why not buy cubietruck and install rune? Excellent sound quality with minimal cost.

ah, good point. once I get the Wifi adapter working, I can disable the Ethernet port. But the Wifi is USB so, who knows.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

Deano2, let me know your impressions as I also have Aqvox USB power supply and I am waiting to receive my Regen.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Well the Regen is brilliant and seemed to benefit though my NAD M51. However I've just installed an update on it, so I'm listening sans AQVOX ( without it) . I plugged the SMPS straight into a P.S. Audio quintet with a stock power cord. I couldn't get it out of there quick enough. So I replaced the power cable with a better one and put it in a isolation transformer and it sounded way better. I'll give a few days and try it back with the AQVOX again. It still sounds brilliant, prat, depth of image, definition of instrument placement is great. As a whole I'm rapt.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

May I reiterate my immense enthusiasm for the Regen and a dedicated UpToned Mac mini (late 2012, 16 GB Ram, 2 TB Raid SSD), both powered by the JS-2, with a YFS custom silver data-only USB between Mac and Regen going into BADA Alpha USB and then onto, well, other stuff? In fact, I am so happy with the resulting sound that I am worried about any further tweaks, which are forthcoming, destroying my pleasure. But then I console myself that I can go back to the past that exists now, rather than fret about minuscule changes. Many thanks, AC and JS.

I received my Regen earlier this week. After about 24 hours of break-in with pink noise + a couple of days just playing music while at work I have had some time for critical listening and I must say that my initial impressions are very positive.

I have had two AQ Jitterbugs in my system for about three weeks and they made a clearly audible improvement which I would best describe as the same sound as before inserting them, but less distortion related to the digital part of the signal chain. However, the effect of the Regen is of a different magnitude. With the Regen connected familiar tracks actually sounds different. The soundstage is much larger and more 3-dimentional, improved macro and micro dynamics with faster transient attack, bass is tighter and the foundation in the 25-35 Hz range is suddenly there in a very different way. However, the presentation now seems lighter than without the Regen which I attribute to the tightening up of the bass frequency region, an impression not unlike when applying room correction.

Since I perceive a large improvement it also seems like my custom made (2 inches cable + connectors) JCAT USB works really well. Unfortunately I cannot compare with the supplied solid connector.

My signal chain is the following: Macbook Pro (2014) with two AQ Jitterbugs > AQ Diamond USB > USB REGEN > JCAT USB (2'') > Bechmark DAC2 HGC > Parasound Halo JC-2 > Parasound Halo JC-1s > PMC OB1i

Has anyone had problems with JRiver MC 20 for Mac (Yosemite OS) working in Integer mode with the Regen? Non-integer is fine, but I am getting interrupted, spotty sound with integer. Integer mode does, however, work with Audirvana+ and Regen. Any, all suggestions very welcome.

My initial impression after adding the Wyrd between my Mac Mini (no mods) and Schiit Bifrost Uber using the Pangea 4% Silver USB cables (0.5M & 1.0M, the cheap ones) is that it cleaned things up a bit allowing me to hear detail better at lower listening levels. It may be a subtle improvement and gear dependent, but I've definitely spent more for less ($99 Wyrd + $25 cable). I'd like to pick up a Regen as well once I decide on a new DAC.

I think this (huge, 2nd largest !) UTA Regen related thread has been overlooked in the movement of the other UTA related threads to the 'UpTone Audio (Sponsored)' sub forum.

I can't see any reason to leave it here, all by itself and lonely, in the DAC sub-forum ! There is already a "Regen Amber Impressions" thread there, so the subject matter certainly fits :)

Chris, Alex, Please move this thread to the UpTone forum !!

TIA

No idea on what his background is but I'm not impressed to say the least. There are so many things wrong with his test. Too bad but as they always say, bad data is worse than no data. Sadly, as someone who collects data everyday and really enjoys it and lives by it, this is the classic example of a improper test IMO/IME. Even worse, it really clouds the people that really don't know what to look for and why. Hopefully in time John S will publish his findings as well as another that I know that is working on it.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

agreed, have not been to that site before but the measurements didn't seem vetted by anyone else prior to posting.

(common I know)

a couple questions/concerns:

1. he didn't use the "hard adapter" after Regen, to connect to the DAC. but instead the short pigtail USB cable.

(we know the short USB cable is not good).

2. did he really test Regen with a Meridian Explorer? never was impressed with that product, but would the DAC itself have any bearing on his measurement graphs?

My limited experience would suggest it does. I have heard the regen on my Chord QuteHD and the PS Audio DS and the impact was bigger on the Chord than the PS Audio. I did see right away that he used the pigtail USB.

Given what he tested and how he tested it, it appears he didn't do a lot of research before he conducted the test.

In a way, posts like that help us gain greater understanding (especially when people counter the argument) so I enjoy reading them, even if the poster has some axe to grind. I actually thought he was trying to be objective until I saw the placebo comment.

agreed, have not been to that site before but the measurements didn't seem vetted by anyone else prior to posting.

(common I know)

a couple questions/concerns:

1. he didn't use the "hard adapter" after Regen, to connect to the DAC. but instead the short pigtail USB cable.

(we know the short USB cable is not good).

2. did he really test Regen with a Meridian Explorer? never was impressed with that product, but would the DAC itself have any bearing on his measurement graphs?

I'm not going to say much about what I'd do or think how it should be done but I'll say this. Testing the unit every possible way (DOE) is truly the proper way to determine what each way will yield. Further, yes, seeing the output of the dac (after the REGEN) certainly does pass through the dac so therefore the dac does have influence. However, this isn't a bad things if once again you're able to prove that the dac doesn't matter as the data coming out of each does indeed improve or not improve. These are the basic problems with this test and many of them in audio or not. The whole idea is to eliminate variables and it takes a lot of time and thought out planning to do so. Not just throw an (new concept) instrument on the bench and produce data. This is where the designer (John S in this instance) really does need to produce some data and an explanation. At that time, he can either choose to explain in depth or not depending on IP or if a patent has been filed. This is how it works typically in the "real world". ;-) Either way, enjoy the REGEN!

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos