IGNORED

Stunning Hi Res 2015 releases

Well, for millennia, musicians lived from their performances. Then came recordings. Now, music is reverting to a model where the money comes, again, from performing live. A short-lived parenthesis closes; that's all.

Isn't that a bit over simplified, Boris? Actually, until the 19th century, most musicians had a job one way or another financed by nobility, usually your local King/Duke/Emperor or whatever. Do you want to go to that period?

Isn't that a bit over simplified, Boris? Actually, until the 19th century, most musicians had a job one way or another financed by nobility, usually your local King/Duke/Emperor or whatever. Do you want to go to that period?

It may be simplified, but his central point remains I think - that making a living off of selling recordings was a recent phenomenon that had a beginning and apparently, for many if not most musicians, an end (at least for now).

I actually think that streaming is the new radio, and that musicians will eventually get paid in a more complete way (it might take unions/associations/organization). I think the internet will allow people to find musicians and music again, and money will be spent. It's worked on me :).

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Isn't that a bit over simplified, Boris? Actually, until the 19th century, most musicians had a job one way or another financed by nobility, usually your local King/Duke/Emperor or whatever.

I very much agree. Now, for notated music, the same more or less holds, after replacing King/Duke/Emperor with Corporate Sponsor/Culture Ministry.

Do you want to go to that period?

I think that we are reverting to this model. Given that I don't have much influence over this outcome, I haven't really thought very deeply about whether I should want it or not:)

It may be simplified, but his central point remains I think - that making a living off of selling recordings was a recent phenomenon that had a beginning and apparently, for many if not most musicians, an end (at least for now).

I actually think that streaming is the new radio, and that musicians will eventually get paid in a more complete way (it might take unions/associations/organization). I think the internet will allow people to find musicians and music again, and money will be spent. It's worked on me :).

I hope your right. The quality of new music has suffered badly in recent times.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

The quality of new music has suffered badly in recent times.

Actually not in classical music and Jazz. But to be fair, classical orchestras are nearly always subsidized and Jazz never sold tons of records even in the best days, so these guys are used to making a living on the road.

Actually not in classical music and Jazz. But to be fair, classical orchestras are nearly always subsidized and Jazz never sold tons of records even in the best days, so these guys are used to making a living on the road.

But the venues are also disappearing. I believe that it has never been so difficult for musicians.

But the venues are also disappearing. I believe that it has never been so difficult for musicians.

Don't know the first thing about Classical, only have a dozen or so albums I bought over the last 40 years cause they were audiophile specials I wanted to hear on my system.

Popular doesn't much run into the venue issues but otherwise I think we all suffer from the same ills.

Horridly mastered recordings, artists finding it very difficult to make any money with their art or getting paid at all. One style of today's popular music makes its recordings by leaching much of their product off those who have gone before, (they call it sampling) with absolutely no respect for intellectual property, BLAH. A SAD state of affairs.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 2 weeks later...

That is why we should keep supporting the small labels, Blue Coast, Sound Liaison, Reference Recordings etc and not Sportify and Itunes.

I read this on the AVS forum

I read an interview with Sound Liaison founder Frans de Rond, that Sound Liaison split any profits they make 50/50 with the musicians, that I find remarkable after having read many a biography of the jazz greats and how they got i.e. 50$ for a recording session(Bill Evans), that later has proven of historical and great financial value.

Audiophile music suggestions? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

I am a big fan of Quiles and Cloud and they have a new release on the Blue Coast Records label, Special Event 39: Newport. Recorded in a small hotel room, the background noise in extremely quiet and Cookie Marenco has done a wonderful job capturing their magic of music. If you have never heard any of their music I highly recommend their music.

BCSE039_Quiles_&_Cloud_Newport_-_Cover.jpg

Maria Quiles and Rory Cloud put on a great show for the hand full of people squeezed into a little room at the Hotel Irvine. It may sound silly to think one can get a great performance and recording in a hotel room, but there was something magical happening this recording day. With the full dynamic range left in, the voices and guitars sounded stunning. You'll hear the creaks and cracks of the instrument, natural noise floor of the room (although amazingly quiet) and even an accidental cell phone go off (fortunately in tune and barely noticeable).

The small audience of manufacturers and special guests were in awe of these two performers as were we. There are new songs and old favorites on this recording. Check out Ring That Bell.. a Bob Dylan classic song... or Tom Waits Come On Up to the House to hear new arrangements of now classic songs from Americana history.

Both graceful and honest; music that reflects upon the vast and uncharted landscape of existence with heart and humble sensitivity. Poetry and emotion carried soft as feathers on a wind-like current of acoustic sound.

Find the album here, or go to Blue Coast Records to find all of Quiles and Clouds Music.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Great piano jazz.. thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

I really like the music, sound wise I miss placement in the stereo field, but that just me,

the music is well worth the investment, great musicians and arrangements.

Very Very impressive album but ''Impromptu'' still gets my vote so far.

tony-bert-300v1.jpg

Found this on youtube (Video 2) from the Impromptu concert. It is probably the sound check of the concert.

Compare the sound of a camera-microphone and a real professional recording set up...(video 1)

What a difference....!!!!

video 1: [video=youtube;UA3UOWPg3-k]

video 2:

I am a big fan of Quiles and Cloud and they have a new release on the Blue Coast Records label, Special Event 39: Newport. Recorded in a small hotel room, the background noise in extremely quiet and Cookie Marenco has done a wonderful job capturing their magic of music. If you have never heard any of their music I highly recommend their music.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22056[/ATTACH]

Maria Quiles and Rory Cloud put on a great show for the hand full of people squeezed into a little room at the Hotel Irvine. It may sound silly to think one can get a great performance and recording in a hotel room, but there was something magical happening this recording day. With the full dynamic range left in, the voices and guitars sounded stunning. You'll hear the creaks and cracks of the instrument, natural noise floor of the room (although amazingly quiet) and even an accidental cell phone go off (fortunately in tune and barely noticeable).

The small audience of manufacturers and special guests were in awe of these two performers as were we. There are new songs and old favorites on this recording. Check out Ring That Bell.. a Bob Dylan classic song... or Tom Waits Come On Up to the House to hear new arrangements of now classic songs from Americana history.

Both graceful and honest; music that reflects upon the vast and uncharted landscape of existence with heart and humble sensitivity. Poetry and emotion carried soft as feathers on a wind-like current of acoustic sound.

Find the album here, or go to Blue Coast Records to find all of Quiles and Clouds Music.

Dave

Well, I can't get enough acoustic guitar... I am really digging the music these two deliver on this album.

Can I ask you what resolution you downloaded?

I can take advantage of the DSD256 format with my setup(iFi micro-iDSD with Shure SE 846), but I can honestly say I've never spent $60 on 11 digital tracks before.

In your experience is it worth the extra $20 for the highest-res format?

Well, I can't get enough acoustic guitar... I am really digging the music these two deliver on this album.

Can I ask you what resolution you downloaded?

I can take advantage of the DSD256 format with my setup(iFi micro-iDSD with Shure SE 846), but I can honestly say I've never spent $60 on 11 digital tracks before.

In your experience is it worth the extra $20 for the highest-res format?

I bought the DSD64, and yes it was worth it.

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

Found this on youtube (Video 2) from the Impromptu concert. It is probably the sound check of the concert.

Compare the sound of a camera-microphone and a real professional recording set up...(video 1)

video 2:

Long live good engineering!

This is actually a good way to show people why good equipment sounds better. I will let my mother hear it ! Now maybe she will understand. ( She is 86 but her ears are still working fine.) :)

Don Henley - Cass County

The best thing he's done with or without the Eagles since the early 70s. Every tunes a killer with totally relevant

lyrics for todays world.

cover.jpg

video 2:

Long live good engineering!

This is actually a good way to show people why good equipment sounds better. I will let my mother hear it ! Now maybe she will understand. ( She is 86 but her ears are still working fine.) :)

And all those terrible iphone recordings that people are posting on the net, not representing the actual sound at all...poor musicians.

James Taylor - Before This World Recorded in the main at 24/96 "This hi-res version of Before This World was mastered especially for audiophiles with less peak limiting for a much greater dynamic range than the CD version. Album details - Dynamic Range Database With an average of DR10 min9 max12. So much better than Jeff Lynne's - Alone in the Universe with a DR7 5/8 Album details - Dynamic Range Database This was a true disappointment from Jeff, I had much higher respect for him as a producer.

Be sure to watch the below video by Jame's producer Dave O'Donnell

James Taylor - Before This World Recorded in the main at 24/96 "This hi-res version of Before This World was mastered especially for audiophiles with less peak limiting for a much greater dynamic range than the CD version. Album details - Dynamic Range Database With an average of DR10 min9 max12. So much better than Jeff Lynne's - Alone in the Universe with a DR7 5/8 Album details - Dynamic Range Database This was a true disappointment from Jeff, I had much higher respect for him as a producer.

Be sure to watch the below video by Jame's producer Dave O'Donnell

I love the James Taylor album but I do think that the dynamic range could have better even in the 24/96 version. But I repeat; I love the album and James Taylor.