IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

hi tim.

i have rasp3 + i2s(9018k2m's DAC board).

pi@olive:~ $ uname -a

[h=3]Linux olive 4.4.30-sc1+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 7 11:06:01 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux[/h]

when useing airplay, if value of "advdriver"(key of sqlite) is "rpi-dac" then ok, but value of "advdriver" is "hifiberry-dac,384k" or "simple-es9023-audio,384k(settings simple-bclk-64fs)" then it can out only right-channel.

perhaps, when useing airplay, cannot resampling.

please tell me if there is a solution.

hi tim.

i have rasp3 + i2s(9018k2m's DAC board).

pi@olive:~ $ uname -a

Linux olive 4.4.30-sc1+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 7 11:06:01 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

when useing airplay, if value of "advdriver"(key of sqlite) is "rpi-dac" then ok, but value of "advdriver" is "hifiberry-dac,384k" or "simple-es9023-audio,384k(settings simple-bclk-64fs)" then it can out only right-channel.

perhaps, when useing airplay, cannot resampling.

please tell me if there is a solution.

Hi,

Airplay resamples to 16/44.1 if the input stream is not already in that format.

Not sure whats going on with the adv drivers, ES9018 and Airplay.

-Tim

Hi Tim and thank you for your great job!

I am a new moode/rasp user since yesterday and I think it's great!

I read in a local forum that the advanced kernel is for i2s DACs. Is that the case?

If so there is no need to install it with USB DAC yes?

I also want to ask some info about FIFO!

Can you please give some info about it's use.

Thank you again!!

Hi,

The Advanced audio kernel has performance tuning in addition to new audio capabilities. It can provide an overall benefit to the system regardless of whether I2S or USB audio device is being used.

In Moode 3.0 MPD can be configured to run under real-time thread scheduling policies, either FIFO or Round Robin (RR will be in upcoming software update). You can read about thread scheduling policies at this link. sched(7) - Linux manual page

Using real-time thread scheduling allows MPD to preempt other lower priority tasks that are in the list to be scheduled for a CPU. This simply ensures that audio related work is given higher priority that other stuff.

Another audio component in Moode 3.0 that runs under real-time scheduling is Squeezelight. It's pre-configured to use RR schedule policy.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

I'm new to Moode player and finding it really excellent so far on Rpi3 with Dragonfly USB dac. Great job and much experimenting ahead...

But my question is -

I have a very very large classical music collection spread over multiple discs and folders. This is organised in a way that allows me to find stuff easily. When I use Foober 'by folder structure' search, I can for example type 'bach' and the folder structure lets me know where all instances of 'Bach' reside. Then, for example, I can choose to further search in the 'Bach I like' folder and ignore 'A friends's dodgy collection' folder, or vice versa. The preservation of the file structure during and after a search is INCREDIBLY useful. Is there a way this can be implemented in Moode? I'm afraid any sort of tagging is totally hopeless for large classical collections.

So far it's still only foobar that allows this system. Am I the only one who uses it this way?!

Hi,

An in-place software update for Moode 3.0 is available that provides bug fixes, feature updates and improvements. See the list below

To get the update, open the System configuration page and click "CHECK for software update" then click VIEW/INSTALL. Reboot after the completion message appears.

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to test and report bugs!Regards,

Tim

Updates

- UPD: Add real-time RR to MPD scheduler policy dropdown

- UPD: Bump squeezelite to version 1.8.5-823

- UPD: Reduce squeezelite DSP buffer setting for armv6l

Bug fixes

- FIX: Logic in Squeezelite restart job in Worker

- FIX: Pegged CPU due to FIFO schedule policy in squeezelite service

- FIX: MPD/Squeezelite fail on 1-core armv7l due to CPUAffinity setting

- FIX: Squeezelite compatibility with armv6l platform (Pi-1B/B+)

- FIX: PCM5121 chip options grayed out on Customize screen

- FIX: Incorrect coding for Audiophonics PCM5122 in audio device table

moode audio player logo 3.png

Hi,

An in-place software update for Moode 3.0 is available that provides bug fixes, feature updates and improvements. See the list below

To get the update, open the System configuration page and click "CHECK for software update" then click VIEW/INSTALL. Reboot after the completion message appears.

Many thanks to all of you for taking the time to test and report bugs!Regards,

Tim

Updates

- UPD: Add real-time RR to MPD scheduler policy dropdown

- UPD: Bump squeezelite to version 1.8.5-823

- UPD: Reduce squeezelite DSP buffer setting for armv6l

Bug fixes

- FIX: Logic in Squeezelite restart job in Worker

- FIX: Pegged CPU due to FIFO schedule policy in squeezelite service

- FIX: Squeezelite compatibility with armv6l platform (Pi-1B/B+)

- FIX: PCM5121 chip options grayed out on Customize screen

- FIX: Incorrect coding for Audiophonics PCM5122 in audio device table

Hi Tim, I was testing this morning on my "Raspberry B+" (512Mb Ram Rev 0010 and I indeed noticed that mpd was not starting and found in log a "CPUAffinity parameter" error.

I understand that

should cure it.

Will try again soon... Thanks!

Hi,

The Advanced audio kernel has performance tuning in addition to new audio capabilities. It can provide an overall benefit to the system regardless of whether I2S or USB audio device is being used.

In Moode 3.0 MPD can be configured to run under real-time thread scheduling policies, either FIFO or Round Robin (RR will be in upcoming software update). You can read about thread scheduling policies at this link. sched(7) - Linux manual page

Using real-time thread scheduling allows MPD to preempt other lower priority tasks that are in the list to be scheduled for a CPU. This simply ensures that audio related work is given higher priority that other stuff.

Another audio component in Moode 3.0 that runs under real-time scheduling is Squeezelight. It's pre-configured to use RR schedule policy.

-Tim

Thnx for your answer and for the latest update!

How can we decide what you use FIFO or RR?

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Hi Tim,

I'm new to Moode player and finding it really excellent so far on Rpi3 with Dragonfly USB dac. Great job and much experimenting ahead...

But my question is -

I have a very very large classical music collection spread over multiple discs and folders. This is organised in a way that allows me to find stuff easily. When I use Foober 'by folder structure' search, I can for example type 'bach' and the folder structure lets me know where all instances of 'Bach' reside. Then, for example, I can choose to further search in the 'Bach I like' folder and ignore 'A friends's dodgy collection' folder, or vice versa. The preservation of the file structure during and after a search is INCREDIBLY useful. Is there a way this can be implemented in Moode? I'm afraid any sort of tagging is totally hopeless for large classical collections.

So far it's still only foobar that allows this system. Am I the only one who uses it this way?!

Hi,

Possibly could be implemented but it would be a substantial work effort, and it would require sample collections that could be used for testing.

Moode works best on tagged collections with standard genre, artist, album tags. I'm planning to enhance the tag support a bit to include Album Artist and Composer in the Library panel.

-Tim

Thank you very much!

Another one..

Are you planing to include a "power of 2" option in the upsampling options in a future update?

All the best!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Hi,

What is "power of 2" in the context of resampling?

-Tim

It means that the data, originally at N kHz (where N can be 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96...) is resampled to 2N or 4N or 8N etc whichever is the highest still supported by the selected DAC, usually at the highest supported but depth. So, for instance, on my Gustard redbook would be resampled to 32/352.8 but a 24/96 file to 32/384. Additionally, it could be useful to have an option on whether tonresample also DSD or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

It means that the data, originally at N kHz (where N can be 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96...) is resampled to 2N or 4N or 8N etc whichever is the highest still supported by the selected DAC, usually at the highest supported but depth. So, for instance, on my Gustard redbook would be resampled to 32/352.8 but a 24/96 file to 32/384. Additionally, it could be useful to have an option on whether tonresample also DSD or not.

Hi,

I looked into auto-resampling and there are couple of issues:

1) MPD has to be restarted each time the resample rate is changed.

2) Can't find a way to hook into MPD's playlist processing. In other words when MPD moves to the next track in a playlist I'm not able run my own code before the track is played.

-Tim

Hi,

I looked into auto-resampling and there are couple of issues:

1) MPD has to be restarted each time the resample rate is changed.

2) Can't find a way to hook into MPD's playlist processing. In other words when MPD moves to the next track in a playlist I'm not able run my own code before the track is played.

-Tim

Ok, and thank you. I have no idea how this is done by the "Ultimate MPD", but you may want to have a look at their adaptive resampling.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/291712-ultimate-mpd-sacd-iso-native-dsd-more.html

Roberto

Ok, and thank you. I have no idea how this is done by the "Ultimate MPD", but you may want to have a look at their adaptive resampling.

Ultimate MPD (SACD ISO, Native DSD, and more) - diyAudio

Roberto

Hi Roberto,

Thats an experimental variant of MPD that appears to be over 300 commits behind the current mainline version of MPD that ships with Moode.

The link to "Adaptive resampling" in that post does not work, otherwise I'd give it a look.

-Tim

Hi all, thinking of getting a pi 3 B for Christmas, but am very frightened this is beyond my capabilities to sort out, so be gentle with me, I have a no of questions which may seem very basic to you, I have a twisted pear audio Buffalo ess sabre dac, the first generatio, it is coax spdif in only, I also have a Jkenny mk3 modified hi face USB-spdif converter, all my files are in 16bit 44.1 WAV format, on a 3.5" powered USB 3.0 hard drive.

Question 1 is M0ode an actual operating system itself, which I just download to a SD card, plug it into pi, and that's it, or is it loaded after the pi is working with raspbian or whatever, 2, will the M0ode drive the Jkenny converter, ( it needs specific drivers to be loaded in windows, which are only for windows or mac ) or would I better off to use a hi fi Berry Digi + transformer anyway, 3 do you Tim, sell a case that takes the pi and the digi +, as I see you do one for the amplifier, probably forgot half the questions.

Cheers Chris

Hi all, thinking of getting a pi 3 B for Christmas, but am very frightened this is beyond my capabilities to sort out, so be gentle with me, I have a no of questions which may seem very basic to you, I have a twisted pear audio Buffalo ess sabre dac, the first generatio, it is coax spdif in only, I also have a Jkenny mk3 modified hi face USB-spdif converter, all my files are in 16bit 44.1 WAV format, on a 3.5" powered USB 3.0 hard drive.

Question 1 is M0ode an actual operating system itself, which I just download to a SD card, plug it into pi, and that's it, or is it loaded after the pi is working with raspbian or whatever, 2, will the M0ode drive the Jkenny converter, ( it needs specific drivers to be loaded in windows, which are only for windows or mac ) or would I better off to use a hi fi Berry Digi + transformer anyway, 3 do you Tim, sell a case that takes the pi and the digi +, as I see you do one for the amplifier, probably forgot half the questions.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

Moode is an embedded system consisting of OS and Application. The download zip contains an image of the system. This .img file must be written to SD Card with an image writing tool. I can't provide any guidance on these tools because I just use Linux dd command.

Moode Setup Guide has instructions on what to do after after booting up the Pi.

-Tim

Yes that link is ok but scroll down a bit and the link below is broken.

• Adaptive up sampling, aka upsample 44.1Khz multiples to 352.8khz, and up sample 48k multiples to 384khz (currently hard coded in DecoderAPI.cxx, you have to change the code to taylor to your DAC capbilities) (https://github.com/xxxbugxxxx/MPD/tr...e-auto-changer branch)

Hi,

Possibly could be implemented but it would be a substantial work effort, and it would require sample collections that could be used for testing.

Moode works best on tagged collections with standard genre, artist, album tags. I'm planning to enhance the tag support a bit to include Album Artist and Composer in the Library panel.

-Tim

Eagerly waiting for the Album Artist and Composer to the Library panel. This would be my most awaited feature in Moode Audio.

I am new to Moode Audio (and to Raspberry Pi world!!)....I am using Moode Audio for the past couple of weeks and loving every bit of it!! Thanks for making such an excellent player.

I have searched your forums but could not find any details about streaming to a bluetooth speakers? I have a pair of bluetooth speakers lying around and it would be great if Moode Audio can stream to it. Is this feature already available in Moode Audio or with some tweaking?? If it is not available, can you take this in to your TODO list??! With RP3 Model B (which I own) already sport a bluetooth, would this be an excellent feature?

Thanks again

Yes that link is ok but scroll down a bit and the link below is broken.

• Adaptive up sampling, aka upsample 44.1Khz multiples to 352.8khz, and up sample 48k multiples to 384khz (currently hard coded in DecoderAPI.cxx, you have to change the code to taylor to your DAC capbilities) (https://github.com/xxxbugxxxx/MPD/tr...e-auto-changer branch)

If you look at the links the second has been copied from the first, but since it was copied from the way it was rendered, some characters in the middle have been replaced by dots.

Hence the following string

tree/Sample-rate-auto-changer

that is part of the URL, has become

tr...e-auto-changer

Roberto

Hello,

I am trying Moode as a Logitech LMS renderer on a Pi 2

I activated the squeezelite renderer and it appeared briefly as a client on the player list displayed by server properties

But it never appeared in the list of renderers from any interface (web interface of the server or mobile app)

now it doesn't even appear in the player list of the server propoerties anymore

Is there something specific to do to enable it properly? Do the default settings need to be changed?

thanks in advance for the help!

regards,

Charles