IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

On 15.11.2017 at 6:41 PM, Gustav9 said:

Moode Player will no longer be available as an image file. Tim Curtis has decided that the work involved is too much. Instead, if you have a good working knowledge of Linux, you can add it manually to a distro such as DietPi using the material that Tim has provided. Otherwise, just wait for a week or two and Moode Player will be included in a forthcoming release of DietPi.

Hi, just wondered if anyone has one of the latest images still available - they have vanished from the net completely. Anything from 3.1 to 3.8 would do. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, syncopator said:

Hi, just wondered if anyone has one of the latest images still available - they have vanished from the net completely. Anything from 3.1 to 3.8 would do. Thanks

Why not try the newer 2-step automated build script found on moode's website for 4.0?

It's not too bad at all if you can SSH into the Pi and initiate the build script, then you are basically done and just sit back and wait about an hour (depending on your download speed) for it to complete.

Tim Curtis has indicated that once you have 4.0 in place, there is an Update function in Moode's web based GUI that allows you to just click for 4.1 when it becomes available, so you need to get yourself fully up to date with 4.0 now in order to use that updater down the road.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

10 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Why not try the newer 2-step automated build script found on moode's website for 4.0?

It's not too bad at all if you can SSH into the Pi and initiate the build script, then you are basically done and just sit back and wait about an hour (depending on your download speed) for it to complete.

Tim Curtis has indicated that once you have 4.0 in place, there is an Update function in Moode's web based GUI that allows you to just click for 4.1 when it becomes available, so you need to get yourself fully up to date with 4.0 now in order to use that updater down the road.

You lost me at "automated build script".

12 minutes ago, DaverJ said:

You lost me at "automated build script".

Ha, in the beginning the moode "build recipe" process was indeed rather complicated and not for the faint of heart. So I waited.

Now it has been super-streamlined to the point of being only trivially more involved than the old downloading and installing a disk image, though it does take an hour or more to actually run/complete the script (depending on your download speed).

Do you use a Mac by any chance as your main daily driver computer? If so I can give you a step-by-step. While it wouldn't be super different to do it on a Windows machine, I can't give you the exact steps involved because I've never done it on a Windows machine, and it would likely be just a bit different there.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, MikeyFresh said:

... I can give you a step-by-step. While it wouldn't be super different to do it on a Windows machine, I can't give you the exact steps involved because I've never done it on a Windows machine, and it would likely be just a bit different there.

Thanks for the offer @MikeyFresh !  It's something to keep in mind for the future.  Learning something new would be good for me -- I had to learn how to do the disk image thing at first, too.  But I'm still running Moode version 3.x (.8 I think?) and it's working well, so I haven't had a need to upgrade. 

btw, I do Mac on a laptop, although my primary computer would be a Windows 10 desktop.

8 hours ago, astropuppy said:

4.0 is well worth the effort. The gui is much better as well as the sound. The build script is more waiting than anything. Just my two-cents.

Hello again, I tried the build script but I only ended up with a partial installation. I tried to use the full version of Stretch. Anyone successfully installed Moode 4.0 on the Full OS? (Not the light)
Cheers

On 12/7/2017 at 5:37 AM, Pelliott321 said:

He probably means Rune

Nope, Roon. I had tried Rune and it never worked properly and was rarely updated.

Roon is a much better interface, as I’d expect for that kind of money. Cheap compared to what I have invested in records and CDs over the years or any of my stereo components save the Oppo BDP-205 DVD player. It was nice to go the DIY route, and I was glad to give Tim a donation for his work, but the build process for Moode was just not something I was going to take on when it took four hours and, according to the posts here, failed as often as it succeeded. I was resistant to Roon at first, I mean who wants to spend the money if they don’t have to? But it’s so much easier to use, easier to configure, and works natively on my NAS, my iPad, and my DVD player (and it will also work on the new DAC I just ordered), that it’s worth it. Oh, and I can do multi room using a Raspberry Pi as a bridge, if I want to. Plus it integrates with Tidal seamlessly. Just a win all around. 

Glad to see the new build of Moode makes it easier to use. I fondly remember my year of using it. 

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

1 hour ago, intermediatic said:

Nope, Roon. I had tried Rune and it never worked properly and was rarely updated.

Roon is a much better interface, as I’d expect for that kind of money. Cheap compared to what I have invested in records and CDs over the years or any of my stereo components save the Oppo BDP-205 DVD player. It was nice to go the DIY route, and I was glad to give Tim a donation for his work, but the build process for Moode was just not something I was going to take on when it took four hours and, according to the posts here, failed as often as it succeeded. I was resistant to Roon at first, I mean who wants to spend the money if they don’t have to? But it’s so much easier to use, easier to configure, and works natively on my NAS, my iPad, and my DVD player (and it will also work on the new DAC I just ordered), that it’s worth it. Oh, and I can do multi room using a Raspberry Pi as a bridge, if I want to. Plus it integrates with Tidal seamlessly. Just a win all around. 

Glad to see the new build of Moode makes it easier to use. I fondly remember my year of using it. 

Second the sentiment on Roon. Been using it along with moode. I install the bridge inside my moode player os and I use ether or... I use Roon 90% of the time. I still like moode though and I don't see it phasing away from my ecosystem. 

1 minute ago, serialdie said:

Second the sentiment on Roon. Been using it along with moode. I install the bridge inside my moode player os and I use ether or... I use Roon 90% of the time. I still like moode though and I don't see it phasing away from my ecosystem. 

What do you use Moode for now? Shairplay would be useful for me, although there are other solutions for that. 

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP) 

5 hours ago, syncopator said:

Hello again, I tried the build script but I only ended up with a partial installation. I tried to use the full version of Stretch. Anyone successfully installed Moode 4.0 on the Full OS? (Not the light)
Cheers

Not to my knowledge, the instructions specifically state the requirement of using the Stretch Lite version, and more specifically the 11/29/17 build at that. No other version is guaranteed to work.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

22 hours ago, DaverJ said:

But I'm still running Moode version 3.x (.8 I think?) and it's working well, so I haven't had a need to upgrade. 

Certainly nothing wrong with Moode 3.8, a perfectly stable version in my experience.

So unless 4.0 has some new features you can make use of then you don't necessarily need to have it.

Actually 3.8 has the Advanced Audio Kernel, which is no longer supported in 4.0, so perhaps a reason to keep using 3.8 depending on your exact set-up and the DAC in use.

I personally just wanted to have both, so I contributed a donation to Tim, and took on the challenge of building 4.0 just to teach myself how. It's not too bad at all with the automated build script.

Now the last remaining challenge will be to get 4.0 running on the new Pi3B+ board I just received yesterday. My first attempt at that last night failed.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

7 hours ago, syncopator said:

Cheers

2 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

Not to my knowledge, the instructions specifically state the requirement of using the Stretch Lite version, and more specifically the 11/29/17 build at that. No other version is guaranteed to work.

Link to Stretch-Lite

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2017-12-01/

Ronnie

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tranfa said:

A quick noobish question from my side.

Would it be possible to install the Network Audio Daemon of HQPlayer in Moode Audio for Raspberry?

I would like to use a Raspberry PI as NAA connected to my I2S Dac.

moode is a player, not an operating system, so you wouldn't use that.

for hqplayer naa (which is a renderer -- you'll need hqplayer on a separate server), you would use a linux distro and then install naa.  appears to work on a rpi (https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

moode is a player, not an operating system, so you wouldn't use that.

for hqplayer naa (which is a renderer -- you'll need hqplayer on a separate server), you would use a linux distro and then install naa.  appears to work on a rpi (https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/)

Thank you jcn, I knew it would have been noobish... :)

Let me insist aa little bit though.

My logic is the following: Moode is indeeed a player, based on a Linux kernel.

My purpose is to be able to output DSD via I2S towards my DAC.

I happen to be able to output DSD from Moode via I2S - which I can't do with the Linux+NAA image, because it doesn't have the "driver" for my DAC.

So I was wondering; is there a way (via SSH?) to install an additional package, like the Linux NAA one, into my I2S/DSD capable Moode...?

This would be the solution to my troubles.

48 minutes ago, tranfa said:

Thank you jcn, I knew it would have been noobish... :)

Let me insist aa little bit though.

My logic is the following: Moode is indeeed a player, based on a Linux kernel.

My purpose is to be able to output DSD via I2S towards my DAC.

I happen to be able to output DSD from Moode via I2S - which I can't do with the Linux+NAA image, because it doesn't have the "driver" for my DAC.

So I was wondering; is there a way (via SSH?) to install an additional package, like the Linux NAA one, into my I2S/DSD capable Moode...?

This would be the solution to my troubles.

that question is a bit out of my league, not being a linux jock . . . .

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 5 months later...

Hi Tim & all

I built image 4.2 and I´m getting crazy to add the nas source

The issue is that I changed nothing in the NAS Synology but now is not recognizing it.

My shared folder is music and I tried in samba and nfs using different options:

• 192.168.0.XXX\volume1\music 
  • volume1\music
  • music

Using the credentials as admin of the nas, I even created a new user moode_audio in the nas and gave write/read permission in music folder... but still nothing

When I scan my nas apperas as \\NAMENAS\music I try to connect via samba but nothing.

Here log. Any tip would be much much appreciated

error log.txt

• 1 year later...