IGNORED

What is an audiophile?

esldude

I don't match any of his cataloged descriptions, only as a male. My only ritual is to listen to music nude. I feel this way I perceive certain frequencies, details and differences than Dennis can't.

Roch

I just assumed everybody did.The skin is one of the largest sensory organs so it is only reasonable to expose all our organs to stimulation. I wasnt aware Dennis did not know this but agree probably explains his iinability to sense the subtle way sound waves bend around our appendages.in my case i notice a *big* difference .;-D

Sound Minds Mind Sound

True audiophiles shave off all their body hair.

Youre getting confused with bicyclists here on this forum....Alain is right the hair is an important diffuser.Roch,this is the true reason samson guarded his hair, he was an audiophile.

As i have become sparse on top i now wear a wig when doing critical listening.dont get cheap ones though,they dont sound as good

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Hi John,

Really enjoyed your posts and had good laugh at our hairy friends above.

Hi Mayhem,

I think you have hit the nail on the head - "the recording isn't the problem, the expectation is".

I went recently went to two rock concerts a week apart - one in a seaside town hall and the other in the same town but in open air.

The bands at the town hall were comprised of really well known musicians and artists with careers spanning over 30 years all with serious street cred in Aus. e.g. one of the performers was Shane Howard author of "Solid Rock" a massive hit in the early 80's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t94RBuiOgsA. The other bands played well known Classic Rock'n roll (which I really enjoy) - but the sound wasn't good and as the reverberation was so bad due to the hard surfaces in the old hall we all had to leave our seats and move to the front of the stage to hear the performers .... the sound was really muffled and you couldn't understand any of the lyrics.

At the outside venue the performers were all relatively new and played songs I didn't know but the sound guy really new his stuff e.g. before each act he spent 5 minutes going through sound checks on each mike and made sure it was properly balanced (mixed) and each performer, whether singer or guitarist, was crystal clear. Lyrics were really easy to decifer and the base guitars and kick drums had real punch without a hint of sloppiness or boom.

I was really disappointed by the hall concert (immediately very hard surfaces didn't help) and didn't enjoy it and at the same time loved the outdoor concert .... everybody was dancing even though most of the songs were unknown.

For me therefore it is not all about the music . ... the sound is just as important. IMO an audiophile is someone who has a deep love for music that is produced in such a way (whether live or in a home) that he can appreciate the emotion and the message and the musician's talent to deliver it.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

For me therefore it is not all about the music . ... the sound is just as important. IMO an audiophile is someone who has a deep love for music that is produced in such a way (whether live or in a home) that he can appreciate the emotion and the message and the musician's talent to deliver it.

Well said. You have the heart of a poet.

Cincy

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords