IGNORED

What is an audiophile?

esldude

To be sure, and I understand this. But I'm wondering if it is being suggested that only a fool who doesn't understand the technology would even consider trying this. I'd just suggest that this is not necessarily the case. Certainly I understand and appreciate how outrageous it looks and I have not studied the OSI model. That's why I like to rely on someone like Chris to screen out outrageous products, especially in this case because of his technical background. I would hope, some would say naively, that there are reviewers out there that have good sense, good ethics, so that I can gradually develop enough trust that a product may at least be worth auditioning. But I have a growing sense that a number of members here think that this is not the case and I should not even bother with most reviews because they are so unreliable. This basically would take me, a non-scientist, out of the hobby, or trusting only the opinions of the scientifically oriented when exploring an audio product I'm interested in.

It really depends on what you consider the scientifically oriented. So much of anti audiophile criticism is based on silly-science.This has been discussed elsewhere such as the blind tests ban thread. By all means be guided by science but sometimes science cant provide all the answers. There is nothing wrong with being sceptical on both sides of the audio debate.

I agree there seems to be a contingent here way more cynical than sceptical and essentially self serving. I dont think their intention is to force you out of the hobby but it does make it hard for newcomers (not saying you are) to get started.

You have to find the reviewers you trust, be it Chris here or others. Then verify by listening to the product to see if it stacks up to the claims.If you hear no difference it tells you something about how your assessment is or is not in accord with the reviewer. The price point, only you can decide if its value for money. I agree the higher the price the more scepticism is warranted.

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

To me (and this is a wild assumption on my part I admit), it would seem that if you were to frequent a website that had Audiophile prominently in its name that you just miiiight be an audiophile also. If you weren't, it kinda doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to frequent that website. Just wild speculation on my part.

David

Morbid curiosity, sort of like rubber necking.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

To me (and this is a wild assumption on my part I admit), it would seem that if you were to frequent a website that had Audiophile prominently in its name that you just miiiight be an audiophile also. If you weren't, it kinda doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to frequent that website. Just wild speculation on my part.

lol, eloquent. But this is a battle over who gets the right to the name, isn't it? There is a desire to separate the wheat from the chaff? Maybe that's what gives it an apocalyptic feel ;)

"Kilroy was here ?"

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Some people can't hear difference so seem to be obsessed with proving others cant either or that the differences aren't real.

David, shame on you! What could possibly have caused you to even consider the existence of such a subversive notion?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

just maybe...unless you want to bash audiophiles and are obsessed with discrediting them

David, shame on you! What could possibly have caused you to even consider the existence of such a subversive notion?

lol, ooops I just did it again, didnt I ?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

It really depends on what you consider the scientifically oriented. So much of anti audiophile criticism is based on silly-science.This has been discussed elsewhere such as the blind tests ban thread. By all means be guided by science but sometimes science cant provide all the answers. There is nothing wrong with being sceptical on both sides of the audio debate.

I agree there seems to be a contingent here way more cynical than sceptical and essentially self serving. I dont think their intention is to force you out of the hobby but it does make it hard for newcomers (not saying you are) to get started.

You have to find the reviewers you trust, be it Chris here or others. Then verify by listening to the product to see if it stacks up to the claims.If you hear no difference it tells you something about how your assessment is or is not in accord with the reviewer. The price point, only you can decide if its value for money. I agree the higher the price the more scepticism is warranted.

David

If you really believe the science is silly which is screaming this AQ ethernet cable is not what it claims, that you should withold judgement, well my friend it isn't the science which is silly.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You can get the AQ Diamond 16 meter HDMI cable.

You can order on Amazon (you do get free shipping) for $13,499.75 cents. Glad they kept it below $13.5 K. This for the 16 meter model (not the $10k 12 meter model).

Read the reviews. Some of them can only be called raves.

Amazon.com: AudioQuest Diamond 16m (52.49 feet) Braided HDMI Cable: Electronics

Some questions about the cable that have been answered by owners are quite informative.

http://www.amazon.com/differentiates-normal-earth-based-cables/forum/FxDK73NL4PSFL5/TxIHXL3L72BSN1/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00IL3TZSQ&cdItems=25&store=generic

Finally I would note, there are only 4 in stock with Amazon's provider. So don't waste time if you can make use of it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

An audiophile is a middle aged man with horrendous bad breath , a beer belly , golden ears (he thinks) even the most frequencies have been zapped for him by 70's rock concerts , a decent amount of money to spend on 500 dollar usb cables and has awful gas after eating red meat .

Okay, so assuming this an auto-biographical description from your personal experience, do you feel like your life would have been better had you taken a different path?

You can get the AQ Diamond 16 meter HDMI cable.

You can order on Amazon (you do get free shipping) for $13,499.75 cents. Glad they kept it below $13.5 K. This for the 16 meter model (not the $10k 12 meter model).

Read the reviews. Some of them can only be called raves.

Amazon.com: AudioQuest Diamond 16m (52.49 feet) Braided HDMI Cable: Electronics

Some questions about the cable that have been answered by owners are quite informative.

http://www.amazon.com/differentiates-normal-earth-based-cables/forum/FxDK73NL4PSFL5/TxIHXL3L72BSN1/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00IL3TZSQ&cdItems=25&store=generic

Finally I would note, there are only 4 in stock with Amazon's provider. So don't waste time if you can make use of it.

Ummmm.... just wondering....is your campaign being financed by the Koch brothers (blessed be their names!) ? <sarcasm>

sandyk: you can find that quote(Kilroy was here) on the hms queen mary(on the wood work) in some harbour in southern california and it's insulting to use it in this thread-an affront to my father and others who sailed on her- i consider myself an 'audiophile' but i wouldn't spend 10,000$ on anything except maybe a Legacy speaker i get great sound and SQ from a 1200$(i7 16 gb RAM) mac mini, amarra Sq and Shiit gungnir dac and schiit magni hp amp and sennheiser 598's into very old yamaha avr and cambridge soundworks speakers(2.1-7.1) and i am very happy-apologize to all those 10's of thousands GI's who sailed on QMI bobbmd

When I was much younger, "Kilroy was here" signs were scrawled everywhere.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Ummmm.... just wondering....is your campaign being financed by the Koch brothers (blessed be their names!) ? <sarcasm>

<sarcasm> You forgot the closed sarcasm...no room for open sarcasm here. </sarcasm>

Wait, wrong thread...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Audiophiles are people who care how their music sounds...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

...but are quickly drawn into the quicksands of tweaking and box-swapping.

We read magazines and buy audiophile approved recordings, the likes of "spectacular" Paricia Barbies and Diana Krells, that we then replay ad-nauseam in search for that minuscule difference in sound.

We thus become sound listeners.

The vinil playback system was a tweaker's paradise, with so many set up variables and components to affect performance, but then came along the all-in-one box CD player and it ruined it for us.

But rejoice for the audiophile's favourite pastime has resurrected in the form of computer audio...and we have the internet to talk about it.

What more could we want?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I'll go with one of the Arse Technical commenters:

A normal person uses the audio system to listen music, while an audiophile uses music to listen to his audio system.

I'm cosider audiophile as music lover who like pure sound and good apparatus.

Any deal may have extremal forms.

Some time ago I watched results of one researching (may be here, on CA). There are most people (who like audio) call themself as audio enthusiasts. There word "audiophile" had negative tone, like in the quote.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

I think that's a pretty good all purpose definition. For myself, I'd add the reason is so I can feel that I hear as much as possible of what my favorite artists put into a piece of music.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I think that's a pretty good all purpose definition. For myself, I'd add the reason is so I can feel that I hear as much as possible of what my favorite artists put into a piece of music.

Fully agree with Jud and InfernoSTi. Bad sound tired ears.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature