IGNORED

What is an audiophile?

esldude

Does anybody else find many recent posts by the previous poster unacceptable ?

An audiophile wants a huge soundstage which he creates by blowing gas from his arse.

This engenders huge air and adds weight to the musical notes . Bass (arse) is tightened .

I'm sold ! I'm sold !! I'm lining up to buy . I can already hear the difference but only after a huge bong hit .

An audiophile is a middle aged man with horrendous bad breath , a beer belly , golden ears (he thinks) even the most frequencies have been zapped for him by 70's rock concerts , a decent amount of...

An audiophile is typically an anal retentive male , 40's or higher , with a small penis but big big tits(amps) , who usually will buy the latest audio gear even if it's not better then what he currently has but the audio review says it is .

The second definition in Webster's says its a form of mental illness . Go figure .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Seems to be a troll who enjoys peering into the mirror and letting everyone know the "beauty" he sees. On to the ignore list :)

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Must have hit a raw nerve. There are many crybabies in these forums that can't take a joke . Too bad .

Threads like , " What is an audiophile " , are a huge waste of space . Who cares . Let's hear about music,equipment, ,etc.

This forum is broken down into two categories : equipment and music . This thread fits neither .

Make a dumb thread and your gonna get dumb answers. From me .

Must have hit a raw nerve. There are many crybabies in these forums that can't take a joke . Too bad .

Threads like , " What is an audiophile " , are a huge waste of space . Who cares . Let's hear about music,equipment, ,etc.

This forum is broken down into two categories : equipment and music . This thread fits neither .

Make a dumb thread and your gonna get dumb answers. From me .

A dumb answer is not the problem. It's your crude replies in a publicly viewable forum.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Please man life is too short . Hit the ignore button as others have suggested .

The general public don't have ignore buttons !.

No comment from me as it is way beyond my price range and I don't use wired ethernet, my apartment comes with free wi-fi internet which is wireless.

A normal person uses the audio system to listen music, while an audiophile uses music to listen to his audio system.

I guess I'm not an audiophile as I love music and would rather buy good recordings instead of swapping equipment when something new comes along. Although I do want to try new interesting formats if I can afford them. However, I do love audiophile recordings and minimalist photographic style recordings from boutique and small recording companies. I also like major label rock and jazz recordings remastered by a good remastering engineer usually from one of the audiophile labels.

My stereo system is used to listen to music, I have a hard time believing or understanding anyone who would do it the other way around.

In short, I love music, equipment and recordings are just a way to bring music I love into my room.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

So ? I'm crude . Get over it . You could argue the reverse . Intolerance is a bigger problem .

I wouldn't say crude, juvenile yes. Is it intolerance to expect a higher level of discourse ?

Maybe we need a kindergarten area where the potty mouthed can let off steam.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Not in a worthless thread like this one . I'm gonna suggest a new category to the moderators for threads like this : The Gossup Column

What makes it worthless in your eyes ?

If an audiophile is middle aged, fat, bald and has a small member what do the well hung listen to ?

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

I wouldn't say crude, juvenile yes. Is it intolerance to expect a higher level of discourse ?

Maybe we need a kindergarten area where the potty mouthed can let off steam.

He still at it here? I think you probably pegged what is happening 100% as juvenile behavior.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

An audiophile is someone who can appreciate music from a range of sources eg car radio, mp3 player etc , but is also willing to invest resources/time in getting the best sound possible according to his/her means.

The fascination with digital is that free or cheap tweaks can improve the experience so instead of being resigned to having to spend thousands for the next step up in sq a la turntable cartridge etc, the sq can be improved in any number of ways.

Still don't understand why some people have a problem with this tweaking.

So an audiophile is someone who enjoys live and reproduced music and has an interest in improving the playback experience.

Look in the mirror at some of your Jriver output comments when that thread was hot . . The pot calling the kettle black .

Would need to look in the mirror at a reflection of the comments in another mirror.

Why are all these recent reprobates from the bits are bits camp ? Doesn't seem fair.

Audiophiles are people who care how their music sounds...

...but are quickly drawn into the quicksands of tweaking and box-swapping.

We read magazines and buy audiophile approved recordings, the likes of "spectacular" Paricia Barbies and Diana Krells, that we then replay ad-nauseam in search for that minuscule difference in sound.

We thus become sound listeners.

The vinil playback system was a tweaker's paradise, with so many set up variables and components to affect performance, but then came along the all-in-one box CD player and it ruined it for us.

But rejoice for the audiophile's favourite pastime has resurrected in the form of computer audio...and we have the internet to talk about it.

What more could we want?

R

I would agree IF you changed "...but" to "...and some" because not all do.

Kind of like SS and tubes: some have one or the other while others have both or a combination. Or kind of like age: over 60 dominant but some in their 30's to 50's while others are in their 20's or younger. All these must begin with "...and some"

The point being that a subset no matter how large is still a subset. I believe the full set is described by my quote while subsets can be added after the "..." at the end.

It was intentional that I left equipment out...I believe that an audiophile could sell all of his/her equipment, every last bit of it, and still care how music sounds (at a friends house, on a TV, at a concert, etc). As much as we define the audiophile as a box swapper, the root is that they care about how their music sounds, so the box becomes optional.

The proof of this is to go to a friends house and listen to their system. Do you care about how the music sounds still? If it is yes, then it is not "your equipment" dependent. Or go to a concert, say a jazz club, and listen to the music: do you care about how the music sounds still? If it is yes, then it is not "your equipment" dependent.

Audiophiles are people who care how their music sounds... (and some...) [everything that follows is a subset]

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

To me an audiophile is someone who likes to get the best out of his system. Regardless if that system cost $100 or $10,000. They buy the best recordings they can afford to play on those systems. Like any hobby there are extremist who seem to get the most attention. I hate that all audiophiles get lumped together with them. We probable need to split the term somehow, those that are looking for the music reproduction and those that are looking for the equipment art.

To me an audiophile is someone who likes to get the best out of his system. Regardless if that system cost $100 or $10,000. They buy the best recordings they can afford to play on those systems. Like any hobby there are extremist who seem to get the most attention. I hate that all audiophiles get lumped together with them. We probable need to split the term somehow, those that are looking for the music reproduction and those that are looking for the equipment art.

#15, I think you hit it. I think we play in the space we can afford and working to get the best out of it is the common denominator. The space can be the equipment, the music, or both. I am in the both category but lean probably a bit more to the music side. Yesterday I hit my favorite record store here in Sonoma county and picked up a half dozen albums. 5 new and one I have many copies of. Chicago Transit Authority. I like that record so I am always willing to throw down a few bucks on a used one to see if I get a better SQ. Got lucky yesterday, this copy was in great shape, and is the best of the copies I have. For me that's a great spend....:)

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Audiophiles are people who care how their music sounds... (and some...) [everything that follows is a subset]

John

Interesting, John. Sometimes on this forum people make a distinction between "music lover" and audiophile, while suggesting that one could be both. How do you see "music lover" in relationship to your definition? The 2 seem very close.

Secondly, could you say more precisely what you mean by "care"? For example, do you mean an emotional disposition? A valuation? etc. Is the definition then, fundamentally subjective? Does it imply that being an audiophile is first and foremost characterized by subjective experience? If so, what are the implications of this for discourse within an audiophile community?

It wasn't always this way. Sure people who had extensive audio systems for music were seen as a bit odd due to the time and money spent. They were not however considered crazy fringe characters who acted as sheep ripe for the sheering. Being divorced from reality with magical thinking is what has caused this situation.

Thank you, esldude, for not employing your typical modus operandi and actually stating your opinion in the original post.

However, I must disagree. It has always been this way! Ever since the first article appeared in TIME magazine on Monday, Jan. 14, 1957.

Audiophilia

A new neurosis has been discovered: audiophilia, or the excessive passion for hi-fi sound and equipment. The discoverer: Dr. Henry Angus Bowes, clinical director in psychiatry at Ste. Anne's Hospital for veterans at Ste. Anne de Bellevue, Que., himself an audio fan. Tweet by tweet and woof by woof, at a research meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Psychiatrist Bowes spelled out how audiophiliacs behave.

Most of them are middleaged, male and intelligent, drawn largely from professions requiring highly conscientious performance (the church, accountancy, medicine, especially psychiatry). They are often single (or if married, childless). They rarely play any musical instrument well themselves. The hi-fi devotee, Dr. Bowes found, "is very frequently of compulsive personality, and tends to go through rituals in the playing of his recordings." What distinguishes the psychopathological addict from the enthusiastic followers of this (or any other) hobby? Dr. Bowes answered: "His tendency to become preoccupied with, and dependent upon, the bizarre recorded sounds . . . combined with the urgency of the need and the final insufficiency of all attempts to satisfy it ... The sound is turned up and up until it reaches the physical level of pain . . . One addict told me he would not be satisfied until he could hear the drop of saliva from the French horns."

Those who are not well organized emotionally, said Dr. Bowes, "will treat their hi-fi set as the emotionally immature treat a car—as an expression of aggression, as a power symbol." To many it has a sexual connotation: addicts may be seeking a "sterile reproduction without biological bother," and in extreme cases, a record collection becomes a "symbolic harem." Significantly, says Psychiatrist Bowes (married, no children), an addict's wife almost always demands that the volume be turned down: "Perhaps in the male's interest in hi-fi she senses a rival, as shrill and discordant as herself."

An unconscious motive for buying expensive equipment is often a desire for revenge, said Dr. Bowes. "One very compulsive patient, who found the sexual side of matrimony completely nauseating," he recalled, "was financially ruining his fairly wealthy wife by his extravagant purchases . . . while she obtained instinctual gratification elsewhere. As he somewhat ruefully remarked: 'She's interested in low fidelity and high frequency.' "

For my opinion on this subject, I don’t give a damn what anyone thinks about my Audiophile tendencies for several good reasons: It is my personal hobby, my time, my discretionary income, and ultimately my enjoyment.

In addition, this is the internet which offers the opportunity for any yahoo with access to publish an opinion 24/7/365 on any subject imaginable. If someone feels the need to criticize Audiophiles for purchasing any outrageously expensive tweak why should that be any concern to anyone on this Forum? If those type of articles, which have been circulating for almost 50 years, cause anyone in this hobby to have a degree of anxiety, or feel offended, then perhaps that is a matter for seeking some therapy.

Now, esldude, you know that this same subject matter has periodically appeared on the CA forum and well discussed time and again. You have been here long enough to know what most opinions are, as we are all too familiar with your opinions. In fact, I can say that regarding the redundancy of subject matter with many of your recent thread posts. It is like watching a cat play with its favorite toy every day. The cat will see it, crouch in anticipation, lay in wait, then pounce on its toy and beat it around the room. Then again, this is the internet, and you seem to be having a delightful time expressing your agenda.

Many thanks for reminding us of our Audiophile shortcomings.

An unconscious motive for buying expensive equipment is often a desire for revenge, said Dr. Bowes. "One very compulsive patient, who found the sexual side of matrimony completely nauseating," he recalled, "was financially ruining his fairly wealthy wife by his extravagant purchases . . . while she obtained instinctual gratification elsewhere. As he somewhat ruefully remarked: 'She's interested in low fidelity and high frequency.'"

QUOTE]

Absolutely one of the most hilarious quotes I've seen on CA...:) The last line would make a GREAT t-shirt!

Thanks for posting it.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.