IGNORED

If you could go back in time..............????

I was thinking along the lines of _one_ big change that wouldve made a big difference. And couldve been used in a nice simple 'if I could go back in time' line. Couldnt find it. Of course a lot of little things done better couldve made a big difference. Not a nice and on the subject line, though.

And if you dont mind I would prefer to put this discussion to sleep. It's already too much about trithio. And again. And again. Just dont wanna see that anymore. And I think I've been patient enough and understanding enough considering what I had to deal with. If only for the burn trithio thread and those uncalled for 'wanker' comments in here.

For sake of clarity, my original post was NEVER about trithio except to the degree that any of his behavior fit the mold. Please recall that I apologized directly to trithio for my silence with regard to his first series of posts where he was attacked under the guise of perhaps being someone who had been previously banned. I would even now extend a compliment for him stepping up and acknowledging his part in things to the degree he felt appropriate. With respect to his request, I'm letting this part of the thread drop.

I don't see that as letting those who have not stepped up off the hook or in any way proving they were OK.

For example, no matter how many <smiles> are added after one call's someone a dick (wanker, Wayne Kerr, etc), doesn't make it funny or acceptable. Such behavior is completely unacceptable, rude, and reflects poorly on the forum and on me for being silent.

Here is such an example of unacceptable behavior:

I was thinking of you a moment ago, when I remembered several years ago calling a member of another forum who was giving me a hard time, Wayne Kerr.

He got really pissed off as his surname turned out to be Kerr. Your surname isn't Kerr too, is it ?

There is no other way to read this quote except that one member is calling another member a dick. Calling someone a dick is name calling and a personal attack. Such things reflect badly on the forum and on me if I sit by silently.

Since we don't seem to have any other moderation short of banning, I am done putting up with the personal attacks silently. I don't care if it is the first or second or "Nth" attack, it is always wrong by the person who does it.

It turns out that ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away; it actually makes it grow worse. Think about it this way: watching a bully pick on somebody and doing nothing about it never helps the victim from being hurt nor the bully to change his ways.

You don't have to be nice to be respectful and watching silently only allows things to get worse.

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

For sake of clarity, my original post was NEVER about trithio except to the degree that any of his behavior fit the mold. Please recall that I apologized directly to trithio for my silence with regard to his first series of posts where he was attacked under the guise of perhaps being someone who had been previously banned. I would even now extend a compliment for him stepping up and acknowledging his part in things to the degree he felt appropriate. With respect to his request, I'm letting this part of the thread drop.

I don't see that as letting those who have not stepped up off the hook or in any way proving they were OK.

For example, no matter how many <smiles> are added after one call's someone a dick (wanker, Wayne Kerr, etc), doesn't make it funny or acceptable. Such behavior is completely unacceptable, rude, and reflects poorly on the forum and on me for being silent.

Here is such an example of unacceptable behavior:

There is no other way to read this quote except that one member is calling another member a dick. Calling someone a dick is name calling and a personal attack. Such things reflect badly on the forum and on me if I sit by silently.

Since we don't seem to have any other moderation short of banning, I am done putting up with the personal attacks silently. I don't care if it is the first or second or "Nth" attack, it is always wrong by the person who does it.

It turns out that ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away; it actually makes it grow worse. Think about it this way: watching a bully pick on somebody and doing nothing about it never helps the victim from being hurt nor the bully to change his ways.

You don't have to be nice to be respectful and watching silently only allows things to get worse.

John

That kerr stuff was one of the things I was talking about. Unfortunately for me just one in a long chain. Probably the worst though. I am not going to report that, though. Just want to be sure that people see it and agree it was totally off. Which seems to be hapening so all ok with me.

Okay, as the person who originally encouraged Dennis to start this thread (based on his asking the title question in another thread), I figure I should post a few items:

Holding CES in some city other than Las Vegas would have prevented a lot of ill-advised deals from ever happening.

Convincing Saul Marantz not to sell out to Superscope and the Tushinsky brothers. Sid Smith and Dick Sequerra were doing great things together, and the USA-built solid-state Marantz products were head-and-shoulders above the rest, though they were too expensive to build. My audio "museum" still includes the 20B tuner (serial #2!), and the 18 and 19 receivers. A young Robert Hovland ended up as project manager for the monster 90-puns Marantz 500 shortly before the Sun Valley facility closed.

Convincing Tomlinson Holman to stick it out with his own company (Apt Holman) instead of inventing THX (now he works for Apple). Some really nice products might have come out of that.

Keeping DMM (Direct Metal Mastering) from ever getting into the mastering rooms would also be high on my list. So many fine records got ruined with that process.

I am sure I'll think of other audio-related time travel wishes...

I don't expect you to apologize if you are attacked...but if you have attacked someone, then yes, the apology is warranted. You can be your own judge. It really doesn't matter if the other person reciprocates because the self-felt apology is a reflection of you, your self awareness, and your personal integrity. In other words, how you present yourself in these moments is all that matters.

I also saw how you were attacked your first few posts and thought it was shameful and unwarranted. It was also hidden behind the thin veil of "you might be someone who was banned" when, in reality, it was just putting you on notice that your ideas were not in sink with theirs and if you persisted in such thinking, you might be banned. That was the forum equivalent of a rookie batter getting a fastball high and inside on his first at bat. I didn't say anything then, so by my silence, I have a degree of ownership of the forum's behavior. I'm sorry that happened to you and for my lack of response.

If folks behaved this way when they were visiting each other's homes, they would never get or accept a second invitation. The degree of vitriol that is slung in this forum would never happen face to face. Folks even brag about the fact that when they have a group of friends over, three out of four agreed on "X" but they NEVER turn on the person that feels differently and as a group insult the hell out them personally. If they did, ALL their friends would leave and never come back. The person who cast such ugly personal attacks because of a difference in opinion would be the crazy jackass and folks would warn others not to go over to their house because they were so far out of balance. Seriously.

How hard is it to be respectful of others? Not very hard, at all. And when people are disrespectful, it reflects on everyone who acquiesces by silence. I, for one, have had enough of being painted with the broad brushstroke of agreement for lack of calling crap what it is. It now reflects on me since I post here on Computer Audiophile.

John

Well said, and worth repeating often! -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I would make this tweak available in 1970:[ATTACH=CONFIG]16692[/ATTACH]

That is one of the fastest improvements ever. Almost never fails either :). You can feel it, you can hear it, you can taste it. Talk about a complete package.

And another similarly effective, fast, guaranteed and fully tested audio tweak would be cleaning your ears :)

PS

hope no one gets disturbed by that comment, it's legal where I come from. In my neighborhood that post would be same as one praising chocolate.

Good grief, those are expensive! Back then I could have bought the racing bicycle of my dreams (a DeRosa) for that kind of money, and my spleef would have still been more portable. But I agree, less coughing. ;)

I'm pretty sure it does 'sound' much better than $700 cables :). Pretty sure as in 'tested both with my own ears and gear'. If there ever was a proverbial night and day sound difference in my experience, that would be one of the best candidates.

That device is also the most expensive to my knowledge. And not that much compared to audio stuff. Especially since it's on the best-of list for its category. Carrying the beloved 'made in germany' label too.

And now I'm talking like the anecdote-full salesman :)

Good grief, those are expensive! Back then I could have bought the racing bicycle of my dreams (a DeRosa) for that kind of money, and my spleef would have still been more portable. But I agree, less coughing. ;)

Especially, when this sells for less than 25% of the cost: Aroma Arizer V-Tower

Of course, I wouldn't know anything about it myself, but my friend Ernie Lundquist recommends it highly. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

If you could go back in time to just one event in audiophile history to alter the trajectory of high end audio what would it be?

When would it be, and what would it accomplish?

Everyone's opinion, conjecture and imagination is welcome. Let your scenarioes run wild.

I guess I'd climb into my DeLorean, switch on the Flux Capacitor, and (yet again) venture back to the fifties - this time around to have a serious talk with Edgar Villichur (founder of Audio Research) on the design of speakers. Perhaps Mr. Weiss from Oswalds Mill Audio puts it the best:

It’s helpful to understand some of the history of the industry, and how home audio became a mass market business.

Audiophiles expect to see a box when they look at a speaker. Ever since Edgar Villichur, who founded Audio Research, invented the modern small monitor or bookshelf speaker, (the AR1 back in 1954, adding a dome tweeter which he also invented in 1958), we’ve been looking at the same design repeated endlessly. The sound can be better or worse, the box bigger or smaller, the number of drivers two or twelve, but the design has not changed. Materials got more high tech (also cheap, with most boxes made from MDF, which is nothing more than compressed sawdust) as did drivers, and more finish options became available, but, a box is a box is a box

[...]

It wasn’t always this way. In fact, it was pretty much the opposite fifty years ago. Before that AR monitor speaker, owning a really (sonically) impressive horn speaker was the ultimate. And those speakers, made by companies like JBL, Voight, Klipsch, Electrovoice, et al., were often very beautifully designed as pieces of furniture, a trend almost entirely absent today. Speakers such as the Paragon, Metregon and Hartsfield would not be out of place in the Museum of Modern Art, or any contemporary interior design magazine. Most audiophiles have never even heard of these speakers, let alone listened to one.

(from the blog entry "Against design")

I hope the accomplishment, in a tandem effort to prevent tube amps from being temporarily "outlawed" by transistors, would be that of seeing BIG (horn/waveguide) speakers, preferably beautifully designed, flourish more widely and, conversely, that the typical box of dome tweeters and other smaller drive units be less frequent.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

(continued)

Going about it visually: audio reproduction to my ears needs more focus on primary colors and larger strokes on the canvas to envelope one in a wash of emotion. Contemporary high-end audio in a sense is something like watching 4K imagery on a screen too small; expand the size of the screen, and the images speak for themselves more wholly and easily.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)