IGNORED

Auralic Aries (Hardware) - Impressions and Information

It has nothing to do with Roon. I have found AES to sounds better than USB (but did not try with Regen or RUR in place).

I agree with this . AES does sound better . And that's into any dac with AES I've tried . Maybe 4 dacs total .

As detailed in the thread above, Brian has clarified his point, which is basically that the fento clock does not matter for USB audio but does matter for SPDIF/AES audio. But this is not something specific to Roon.

might explain why, in my system, using USB direct to my DAC the Mac mini (on JS-2 LPS) sounds better than the Aries, Mac mini + Regen + Audiophilleo is on par with Aries + Regen + Audiophilleo, Aries on JS-2 LPS + Regen + Audiophilleo bests the Mac

:-(

AES-EBU from the Aries was better than plain USB but nowhere close to what I get adding Regen and Audiophilleo to USB

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I thought that the point with the latest beta firmware is that, when using LDS, the data is stored into the Aries RAM memory before playback which gives the sound improvement. I don't think that this is the case when using control apps other than LDS, so you will not get the improved SQ.

I agree with this . AES does sound better . And that's into any dac with AES I've tried . Maybe 4 dacs total .

I think that this is more to do with the DAC than the Aries in my, limited, experience. I now have the Chord Dave DAC and the different inputs are much more consistent in SQ than with other DACs I have heard where certain inputs are clearly better than others.

I tried Aries into Dave with the free Optical cable that came with Dave, a Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable and a £3,000 AES cable and there was very little difference between them all.

The only input on Dave that is clearly worse is Coax and that is likely because the Dave is BNC whereas the Aries and my CD transport are both RCA, so you have an inconsistency there which will affect SQ.

If you have'nt tried 3-wire unshielded USB cables (with GND on a distance from data wires to reduce capasitive coupling) with SBooster Vbus2 both before and after the USB Regen powered by battery supply (disconnected to mains) plus externally grounding the BPS you do not quite know what USB audio is capable of! My personal 2 cents! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

If you have'nt tried 3-wire unshielded USB cables (with GND on a distance from data wires to reduce capasitive coupling) with SBooster Vbus2 both before and after the USB Regen powered by battery supply (disconnected to mains) plus externally grounding the BPS you do not quite know what USB audio is capable of! My personal 2 cents! :)

The Aries and Vega does not need a ground on the USB cable.. It is done internally... I have a Curious cable with no ground leg.

you're sure it's the ground wire your cable is missing?

I've always been told USB doesn't work at all without the ground wire

now... the vBus wire is a different matter: in fact I'm using a *no* vBus wire cable between the Aries and Regen

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

now... the vBus wire is a different matter: in fact I'm using a *no* vBus wire cable between the Aries and Regen

My mistake...It doesn't need the 5v leg...

The Aries and Vega does not need a ground on the USB cable.. It is done internally... I have a Curious cable with no ground leg.

Even better! :) Just try a Vbus2 at the Aries end as well and see what it does for you (cuts the 5v plus shielding the plugs. Just make sure that your DAC does'nt need USB power or handshake). Curious cable is shielded AFAIK so Intona will most likely help you further by isolate the shielding (galvantic Isolation).

Just for notes. In your case the Intona is enough and no point with Vbus2...since Intona breaks the shielding in both plugs and cables in your case. However, IMO unshielded wires and shielded USB plugs is the way to go. Since Curious cable is shielded (AFAIK) you cannot enjoy the perfect match as I see it. You will need to try unshielded 2- wire cables and Vbus2 for the perfect combo IMO.

🎛️  Audio System  

Well it is possible w/o GND wire if you have a proper star ground. But that is easier said than done! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

might explain why, in my system, using USB direct to my DAC the Mac mini (on JS-2 LPS) sounds better than the Aries, Mac mini + Regen + Audiophilleo is on par with Aries + Regen + Audiophilleo, Aries on JS-2 LPS + Regen + Audiophilleo bests the Mac

:-(

AES-EBU from the Aries was better than plain USB but nowhere close to what I get adding Regen and Audiophilleo to USB

How do you do Aries + Regen + Audiophileo? I thought Audiophileo was soft on the computer.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I thought that the point with the latest beta firmware is that, when using LDS, the data is stored into the Aries RAM memory before playback which gives the sound improvement. I don't think that this is the case when using control apps other than LDS, so you will not get the improved SQ.

That doesn't help with Roon.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I think that this is more to do with the DAC than the Aries in my, limited, experience. I now have the Chord Dave DAC and the different inputs are much more consistent in SQ than with other DACs I have heard where certain inputs are clearly better than others.

I tried Aries into Dave with the free Optical cable that came with Dave, a Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable and a £3,000 AES cable and there was very little difference between them all.

I have a fairly good DAC (EmmLabs XDS1v2) and still find a diff between USB and AES (very subtle).

The only input on Dave that is clearly worse is Coax and that is likely because the Dave is BNC whereas the Aries and my CD transport are both RCA, so you have an inconsistency there which will affect SQ.

Nah... Coax is the same impedance as RCA.

system pics

I believe this is correct b/c the ground wire is used as return to specify USB mode, or something like that.

It removes the +5V wire, not the ground.

system pics

How do you do Aries + Regen + Audiophileo? I thought Audiophileo was soft on the computer.

by soft you mean software?

no: the Audiophilleo is an hardware USB to S/PDIF converter

headphones system:

I have a fairly good DAC (EmmLabs XDS1v2) and still find a diff between USB and AES (very subtle).

That would be a fairly good DAC! Yes, that would be similar to my experience with the Dave. The differences are very subtle rather than obvious.

Nah... Coax is the same impedance as RCA.

I was under the impression that RCA to BNC on the same cable introduced inconsistencies which impaired the SQ. A more accurate transport is achieved either BNC only or RCA only. In any event, coax is my least favoured input on the Dave. I didn't much like it on my DSX1000 either, which was also BNC. On previous equipment, I don't recall disliking it and there was no BNC/RCA involved, all terminals were RCA.

That doesn't help with Roon.

I haven't used Roon because I don't want to have to have a computer running, but the point I was making was that, if you are not using LDS, then you won't get the SQ improvement. I didn't have long with it, but I did think that the SQ improvement was noticeable, more so than with previous firmware changes.

You guys on this forum make me chuckle. I come here looking for answers to simple questions and just end up bamboozled! ;)

Just gotta learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. ;)

Well, I've gone and ordered a W4S RUR. Next someone will be telling me that I really need a fancy power supply to get full benefit! Then something else on top of that...........

I'm going to have to stop coming here!! ;)

Well, I've gone and ordered a W4S RUR. Next someone will be telling me that I really need a fancy power supply to get full benefit! Then something else on top of that...........

I'm going to have to stop coming here!! ;)

Really is a bit much. I ordered some fiber optic ethernet conversion equip today ... that'll prob benefit from LPSUs too!! There truly does appear to be no end to this stuff. :P

Really is a bit much. I ordered some fiber optic ethernet conversion equip today ... that'll prob benefit from LPSUs too!! There truly does appear to be no end to this stuff. :P

Did you follow the setup on Audiostream? Think I will try that too - pretty low barrier to entry.

But seriously there is no end to this stuff and I will probably stop there. Getting sick of the litany of extra "fixers", power supplies, cables, etc that are in a big mess behind the rack...

But seriously there is no end to this stuff and I will probably stop there. Getting sick of the litany of extra "fixers", power supplies, cables, etc that are in a big mess behind the rack...

Ha, that was my point. I'm going to try the W4S out of curiosity, but I'm not going to get into all of that stuff. I'm aiming for simplicity and the fewer components, the better from my perspective. I currently have 3 sources and, ideally, I'd like to end up with just 2. A CD transport and a streaming device.

I'm using 2 devices for streaming currently, a Melco for files and an Aries for Qobuz but, once the Melco app is released, they will bother cover file playback and Qobuz/Tidal. I'm hoping that the Melco will end up as my only streaming solution because then I can remove the Aries.