IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, SliderK said:

If I purchase a license for HQPlayer 4 Desktop, can I install the HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows, Linux and macOS using single license or need to purchase additional licenses for each OS?

You can as long as you have only one copy running at a time. You need as many licenses as you have simultaneously running copies.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

Yes was only trying to install client.Installed complete 4.16 download now client works.Never had this issue before this release

I will fix this in the installer script. It is related to the new GUI components used by Client that were not used there before (file open dialog).

@Miska on new i12 12900 running HQ Player Desktop I can transcode FLAC to output DSD512 using ASDM7EC512 but doesn't work on the modulators without the 512 suffix. With ASDM5EC, for example, when trying to output to DSD512 CPU and GPU utilization is fairly low and playback does initialize BUT the sound is mostly static. Is there something I can do to correct this and longer term, would you consider creating an ASDM5EC512 modulator for those of us with ESS Sabre DAC'ss where ASDM5EC may be a better choice than ASDM7EC per your prior recommendation? Thanks, as always!

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

@Miska on new i12 12900 running HQ Player Desktop I can transcode FLAC to output DSD512 using ASDM7EC512 but doesn't work on the modulators without the 512 suffix. With ASDM5EC, for example, when trying to output to DSD512 CPU and GPU utilization is fairly low and playback does initialize BUT the sound is mostly static.

What kind of settings generate static? Here are my current settings on my AMD machine:

465516279_Screenshotfrom2022-01-2205-32-49.thumb.png.194f33f0965482aa9cd7690ef92dea2c.png

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Is there something I can do to correct this and longer term, would you consider creating an ASDM5EC512 modulator for those of us with ESS Sabre DAC'ss where ASDM5EC may be a better choice than ASDM7EC per your prior recommendation? Thanks, as always!

You mean "AMSDM7EC x512"? These are fine for ESS DACs too.

Which ESS based DAC do you have? In most cases, if you get static with ESS DAC, it is because you are trying to play 48k multiple DSD rate to a DAC that doesn't support it. Do not enable set 48k DSD setting unless you are 100% sure it works correctly. For example S.M.S.L. DACs will misbehave. And Topping DACs have many more misbehavior modes too. This is not because of the DAC chip, but due to other reasons.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

What kind of settings generate static? Here are my current settings on my AMD machine:

You mean "AMSDM7EC x512"? These are fine for ESS DACs too. Yes, this plays fine with 24 / 96 FLAC --: DSD512, 48k box checked.

Which ESS based DAC do you have? In most cases, if you get static with ESS DAC, it is because you are trying to play 48k multiple DSD rate to a DAC that doesn't support it. Do not enable set 48k DSD setting unless you are 100% sure it works correctly. For example S.M.S.L. DACs will misbehave. And Topping DACs have many more misbehavior modes too. This is not because of the DAC chip, but due to other reasons. DAC is Matrix X-Sabre Pro fed by Singxer SU-1 DDC (IIS), both are DSD512 capable. I unchecked 48k and tried a standard 16/44.1 Redbook file with settings below --> static overlaying the music.

Server.thumb.jpg.b9828238dae752dc30f26473560bdaa1.jpgClient.thumb.jpg.4b3ae0417caa958e584a099167f83ff3.jpg

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

@Miska

I'm using a iFi Diablo DAC with BB1793 that you recommend set 24bits when upsampling to 705/768, but I listen music with a lot of white noise, sounding like a broken driver.

From 20 to 24bits always white noise, from 25bits up to 32bits everything is normal.

Sometimes, after one or two minutes the sound is normal and better than 32bits setting, but noise comes back soon!

What is happening?

Sem Título.png

22 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

@Miska

I'm using a iFi Diablo DAC with BB1793 that you recommend set 24bits when upsampling to 705/768, but I listen only noise, sounding like a broken driver.

From 20 to 24bits always noise, from 25bits up to 32bits everything is normal.

What is happening?

Sem Título.png

The DAC is likely exposing both 24-bit and 32-bit endpoints on USB. With the 24-bit one broken in the firmware. Please also check that the device is not set as default audio output for macOS!

Does 24-bit setting work if you lower output rate to 352.8/384k or 176.4/192k?

5 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

It quite doesn't fit in the picture, but do you use single stage version of the filter or -2s version? You could try with -2s version... How's your adaptive rate setting?

In the Client screenshot you have different settings.

Can you try direct USB to the DAC, without the Singxer SU-1?

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

The DAC is likely exposing both 24-bit and 32-bit endpoints on USB. With the 24-bit one broken in the firmware. Please also check that the device is not set as default audio output for macOS!

Does 24-bit setting work if you lower output rate to 352.8/384k or 176.4/192k?

1) The iFi is not set as default audio output!

2) With 352.8/384k is fine with both Sinc-L and Sinc-Mx.

3) I changed LNS15 to NS9 and worked fine for 2 minutes, later noise returned!

4) Changing Sinc-L to Sinc-Mx works fine also with NS9, but not with LNS15.

Let me know if you want another tests...

8 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

1) The iFi is not set as default audio output!

2) With 352.8/384k is fine.

3) I changed LNS15 to NS9 and worked fine for 2 minutes, later noise returned!

4) Changing Sinc-L to Sinc-Mx works fine also with NS9, but not with LNS15.

Let me know if I need other tests...

Can you email me HQPlayer log file for playback session, from start of HQPlayer to playback?

And I assume you are not hitting limiter (Limited count stays 0)?

I have a hunch about this, but not entirely sure yet.

15 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

@Miska on new i12 12900 running HQ Player Desktop I can transcode FLAC to output DSD512 using ASDM7EC512 but doesn't work on the modulators without the 512 suffix. With ASDM5EC, for example, when trying to output to DSD512 CPU and GPU utilization is fairly low and playback does initialize BUT the sound is mostly static. Is there something I can do to correct this and longer term, would you consider creating an ASDM5EC512 modulator for those of us with ESS Sabre DAC'ss where ASDM5EC may be a better choice than ASDM7EC per your prior recommendation? Thanks, as always!

I have an ESS9038PRO-based DAC (NuPrime Evolution) and this static happens to me if I try 7EC512+fs.  I have 48k unchecked.  44K>DSD256 with xla.  Same issue with Nx & gauss-long.

I seem to prefer 7ECv2 over 5ECv2 for now.

2 minutes ago, MikePid said:

I have an ESS9038PRO-based DAC (NuPrime Evolution) and this static happens to me if I try 7EC512+fs.  I have 48k unchecked.  44K>DSD256 with xla.  Same issue with Nx & gauss-long.

I seem to prefer 7ECv2 over 5ECv2 for now.

So "AMSDM7EC 512+fs"? At DSD256 rate? Those modulators are primarily for DSD512 and above rates.

Many ES9038PRO DACs seem to have implementation issues, so it is tricky to get those running right. Your safe bet is to run yours with ASDM5ECv2 at 44.1k x256 rate. Typically these go wrong one way or the other with 48k-base DSD rates.

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

So "AMSDM7EC 512+fs"? At DSD256 rate? Those modulators are primarily for DSD512 and above rates.

Many ES9038PRO DACs seem to have implementation issues, so it is tricky to get those running right. Your safe bet is to run yours with ASDM5ECv2 at 44.1k x256 rate. Typically these go wrong one way or the other with 48k-base DSD rates.

I know 7EC512 for DSD256 doesn't make much sense, but I thought I'd try it anyway.  I actually liked AMSDM512+fs (in the stone-age pre-EC days) when I had ifi iDSD BL even though I was only sending it DSD256, so that's why I just tried it now just for fun.  Although that DAC went up to DSD1024 and used BB chips.  My NuPrime DAC internally supports upsampling to DSD512, but only accepts DSD256 over USB (it accepts DSD512 over I2S).  

This DAC has issues with 48k DSD; sometimes works, sometimes not.  Weird, because the internal upsampling (which of course I disable) has settings for all of the 48k-based rates up to 24.6M which seem to work.  Must be the input implementation.

I'm extremely happy with ECv2 @ 44x256, and of course 48k-based source gets converted to this too.

@Miska

Any update or progress on the issue of end of tracks skip/cut-off when the source format changes when playing from Roon?

Unfortunately it happened to me today quite a few times as I shuffled through my favorite tracks which combines local red book flac files and Qobuz streaming. Whenever a higher than red book Qobuz track comes along the cut off happens. A few seconds are lost… and then there is a pause till the next track starts. Annoying….

I know that this is an open issue for a while now and that you have corresponded with Roon on this and that the root cause is probably due to Roon sending “stop” or something similar when it changes format. Wanted to know if you have any updates on this?

it used to happen much more for me as my library was a mix of WAV and flac so every switch would suffer. I converted everything to flac so now the issue is only between local and streaming (I only have a handful of local high res material)

In the meantime, i am considering limiting Qobuz to red book but am not sure if that will result in Qobuz streaming a sourced red book track or do they downsample the high res source to red book and stream that….

6 hours ago, Miska said:

It quite doesn't fit in the picture, but do you use single stage version of the filter or -2s version? You could try with -2s version... How's your adaptive rate setting?

In the Client screenshot you have different settings.

Can you try direct USB to the DAC, without the Singxer SU-1?

I tried it with either poly-sinc-gauss-long which I believe is inherently 2-stage, or a -2s filter as well. --> same result. Adaptive setting gray. I'll remove the Singxer when time permits, but for now truthfully I'll stick with ASDM5ECv2 which sounds great at DSD256, can run all filters, has no problem with 48k box checked and 44.1k or 48k multiple files and default in settings = 48/256. In addition, I get the dreaded clicks / pops between tracks with DSD512 so for now settings will stay as below. If there is further insight as to the 512 issue with ESS chips I'll watch for that here on the thread. Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 112908.jpg

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you email me HQPlayer log file for playback session, from start of HQPlayer to playback?

The log is enabled, I tried find HQPlayer4Desktop.log and nothing...

Problem with 4.16. Updated from 4.154 to 4.16 on server with no problems. Trying to update client laptop from a working 4.154 to 4.16. Uninstalled 4.154 and installed 4.16 but it wouldn't open. Thought I would try again with a fresh download. Uninstalling HQP went OK, but when I checked the actual files, they are still there. Tried to delete but windows says HQP still open in another program and won't delete . I'm stumped!

CJH

14 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

The log is enabled, I tried find HQPlayer4Desktop.log and nothing...

On Windows the log file can be found from %LOCALAPPDATA%\HQPlayer directory of the system drive. You need to enter this path on the address bar of the Windows File Explorer as these are not shown by default. On Linux and macOS, log file can be found from the hidden ~/.hqplayer directory, where “~” denotes user's home directory. The log file is called
HQPlayer4Desktop.log.

25Bits.thumb.png.4a7cbf970c4d3b32ceb8bfb7c2612ef8.pngHQPlayer4Desktop.log.zip

7 hours ago, Miska said:

@Miska

See the attached zipped log!

I changed to 25Bits and zipped a newer log...

HQPlayer4Desktop.log.zip

8 hours ago, GMG said:

@Miska

Any update or progress on the issue of end of tracks skip/cut-off when the source format changes when playing from Roon?

Unfortunately it happened to me today quite a few times as I shuffled through my favorite tracks which combines local red book flac files and Qobuz streaming. Whenever a higher than red book Qobuz track comes along the cut off happens. A few seconds are lost… and then there is a pause till the next track starts. Annoying….

Probably something to do with how Roon deals with HQPlayer control interface. It is still at HQPlayer v3 days level and has not been updated since.

8 hours ago, GMG said:

I know that this is an open issue for a while now and that you have corresponded with Roon on this and that the root cause is probably due to Roon sending “stop” or something similar when it changes format. Wanted to know if you have any updates on this?

Let me guess, this happens with some extra long filters? Does it happen with something like poly-sinc-short-mp(-2s)?

8 hours ago, GMG said:

it used to happen much more for me as my library was a mix of WAV and flac so every switch would suffer. I converted everything to flac so now the issue is only between local and streaming (I only have a handful of local high res material)

In the meantime, i am considering limiting Qobuz to red book but am not sure if that will result in Qobuz streaming a sourced red book track or do they downsample the high res source to red book and stream that….

How about using Qobuz with native HQPlayer without Roon?

7 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

I tried it with either poly-sinc-gauss-long which I believe is inherently 2-stage, or a -2s filter as well. --> same result. Adaptive setting gray. I'll remove the Singxer when time permits, but for now truthfully I'll stick with ASDM5ECv2 which sounds great at DSD256, can run all filters, has no problem with 48k box checked and 44.1k or 48k multiple files and default in settings = 48/256. In addition, I get the dreaded clicks / pops between tracks with DSD512 so for now settings will stay as below. If there is further insight as to the 512 issue with ESS chips I'll watch for that here on the thread. Thanks.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 112908.jpg

OK, the problem is here. Leave Adaptive rate set to grayed. Uncheck 48k DSD and set Bit rate to 44.1k x256. You'll get constant 44.1k x256 output rate and no output rate switching regardless of source.